77 Mirror Lake Drive, Lake Placid, New York, 12946, United States

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Official Hotel Travelocity Booking.com

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

a good hotel in a good location

We had first wanted to stay at Lake Placid Lodge, but their only remaining room had no view, so this was our second choice. It doesn't approach the standard we had been anticipating at the other place, but it wasn't as bad as expected. The rooms are very standard, the same as most chain hotels. They were large and adequate and the view over the lake was OK. The service was good.

The hotel tries to portray itself as a romantic country bed & breakfast or lodge, but it is in fact quite a large featureless hotel. In spite of this, it's a good hotel and I would stay there again if I was sticking to that budget. If money was no object, I would stay at Lake Placid Lodge.

Directions: Across the street from Mirror Lake, 150 m north from where Main Street and Saranac Avenue meet.

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

Save yourself a few bucks and go to the next town.

The next town to Lake Placid (LP) is Saranac Lake. The hotels are cheaper than the ones in Lake Placid. The regular tourists stay in LP, but you can save yourself a few bucks by going to the town next door and sleep just fine. There's a McD's and a Pizza Hut in town, too.

The two places I've stayed is the Best Western Inn (AAA members get 10% off), and the place to the left next door. (I forget, but I stayed there at least 2x.) Both are relatively less expensive than the Holiday Inn in LP. There are a couple bed-n-breakfast places on either side of LP, but I never stayed there, so I can't help ya. You may wanna check these out, too!

Unique Quality: It's a better deal. Call in advance as events in the area can fill up the hotels even here, too!

Directions: 87 North to Exit 30. Go west until you see it, which may be an hour later. Call the # or do mapquest to the above address for details.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Elegance in the Adirondacks at the Mirror Lake Inn

The Mirror Lake Inn is a venerable and elegant establishment in the lovely Adirondacks town of Lake Placid, NY. Every attention to detail can be expected from this five-star and long-renowned hotel.

A myriad of room possibilities and wings exist, but I'd seriously suggest that you cough up the extra money for one of their suites, which are second-to-none. From the large whirlpool baths and four-poster beds to the 007-like automatic gas fireplaces and electrically controlled blinds, this place is truly smashing.

The Inn has an outstanding restuarant, which is named the Averil Cromwell Room. The food was marvelous, and the butlers/maids and waiters had just the right mix of familiarity, personality and protocol to make each meal an outstanding event. It's especially nice to get a table near both a fireplace AND a front window, so that you can enjoy the crackling fire AND the view of Mirror Lake on a chilly October evening.

The inn also has a world-class spa. We didn't spend a lot of time in what appeared to be this impressive facility. However, I highly recommend the tandem Swedish massages.

Afternoon tea and fresh-baked cookies in the main lobby and dens is a great social event as well.

The inn is within very easy walking distance of the center of the Lake Placid village.

Do yourself a real favor and stay here. For more pictures and information, please see the separate Lake Placid/Mirror Lake Inn travelogue on my Lake Placid page.

Unique Quality: Class, peace, serenity, service, privacy, culture, character.

This place has it all. This is a great spot for an anniversary trip.

Directions: Simply drive into town and look for the signs. The Mirror Lake Inn is directly on (not surprisingly) Mirror Lake.

More about Mirror Lake Inn

I Love This Place!

The Mirror Lake Inn is simply a slice of heaven! The staff is friendly, helpful, and never rushed. The room was beautiful, the pool was crystal clear and convenient, and the Spa services are out of this world. The food is amazing, and who can complain when you get home-made chocolate chip cookies when you check out? The Mirror Lake Inn is one of my favorite places to visit...it's worth every penny!

totally over rated & in need of major renovations

This was my second time staying at the Mirror Lake Inn. Previous visit was disappointing(December 2004) & we had to change rooms. We found them to be dirty, not vacummed etc. & dirty dishes from the next room were left outside the door for 24 hours, as well as a bag of dirty laundry. I thought I would give it another try this past summer.

This visit, I knew enough to reserve a suite in the main house, but I definately don't think it is worth the price.

The Mirror Lake Inn needs to be completely renovated. What may have been a lovely place in the 70s, is outdated & in many instances shabby.

I would never return, nor recommend anyone stay.

As my 9 year old nephew said "they should tear it down & build a new one".

Wonderfully restful

by TripAdvisor Member nantippe

We just got back from three days at the Mirror Lake Inn. Being from Texas, we were clueless about the area, where to stay, etc. I read the reviews from this site and took a chance. We were delighted in our room, the food, the hotel in general. We used the spa and played cards in the afternoons in front of a wood burning fire. It was very restful, and I hope to go back someday.

great value

by TripAdvisor Member yangs02

a very well managed luxury hotel at a reasonable price. the rooms were spacious and clean, the beds very comfortable. the bathrooms were exceptional, having been recently redone, with luxury toiletries, fresh, plush towels and excellent robes. the details of the common areas were quite nice and authentic, although the pool was just a touch dingy. the lake areas were picture perfect and the free nonmotorized sports (i.e. canoes rowboats) were a great touch. the restaurant, bar area, and lounge area were of very high quality and well managed. the staff was professional and courteous and consistently so. i recommend mirror lake inn without hesitation.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member reisende

My family discovered Mirror Lake Inn in the mid 90's, and after one visit, it became our favourite gathering place and we made sure to visit once every year or two for a reunion. A death in the family prevented us from visiting Mirror Lake Inn for two years. But in August of 2005, we were able to make it up to what we had remembered as a little slice of heaven.

Unfortunately, we were very disappointed.

First of all, speaking as someone who held this hotel in the highest of regard, Mirror Lake Inn has lost the thing that separated it from other hotels: excellent service and staff.

Mirror Lake Inn customer service has decayed, especially in the restaurant, which used to be my favorite place. My family and I nearly had to wrestle the waiters and waitresses to the ground in order to get served, have our coffee refilled, etc. I do NOT blame this on the workers themselves, but rather, as I saw (while waiting 25minutes to order off the menu) poor management in the dining room (breakfast and dinner): Not enough staff during peak times and absent managers.

Moreover, I found the front desk staff to be completely useless (except for the matter of checking in and checking out). When I asked the front desk clerk "Is there an internet cafe around here?" the woman handed me a phone book and said "I really don't know, but you can check here" and then she proceeded into the back room. I wasn't exactly elated seeing as how I was paying well over 300+ a night for the hotel room and I was staying at a four diamond hotel.

The services at the Spa have also deteriorated. While the Spa offers the same (if not, more) services as in the past, I must say that the quality of the spa treatment, along with the quality of the staff has gone downhill. I used to look forward to their pedicures and Swedish massages, but I was sorely disappointed with the staff this trip. Yes the spa services are nice, but are they worth the money? No.

The daily activities have also become a bit pricier: For a 1 hour yoga session, the fee was $20 per person.

A couple of reviewers have mentioned that this hotel isn't family friendly. I'd have to disagree entirely. If anything, it is too family friendly. The staff doesn't mind enforcing the "no cell phone" rule in the lobby and living room areas of the hotel (and even though I violated this rule, I can truly appreciate why they enforce this rule, and I’m glad that they do). But, the staff doesn't seem to care about kids (of all ages) running through the lobby at 10:00pm screaming and making noise while their parents simply ignore them, causing much irritation for other guests. On the beach and pool, some children disturb other guests by throwing sand or splashing them while their parents look on, but the staff doesn't mention anything. As for the dining room and children, the staff doesn't put people in the back of the dining room or shun families with children. Rather, they are very tolerant of the children, unless of course the children are running around the dining room (and if they are, they shouldn't be allowed in anyway). Many four diamond resorts and hotels have FAR stricter rules regarding how children behave and have no qualms asking children and their parents to leave.

As other guests have mentioned, the quality of the rooms leaves much to be desired. I have a favorite room at the hotel, and I have stayed in this room many times (although I have stayed in a suite twice). This trip around I stayed in my favorite room, which is a standard room, located near the pool, but still offers a nice view of the mountains/lake (moreover, a "standard" mirror lake inn room used to be like a suite at a holiday inn).

When I checked in I noticed how much wear and tear the room has taken. I was very disappointed. After visiting my relatives in other standard rooms, I could easily tell that the management cuts corners on maintence of their standard rooms. Of course the suites are kept in glorious condition (as you would expect, since people are paying at least $600/night to stay there).

Moreover, for the first time, I saw a notice by the phone stating that IF you use your phone in the room, it could set off the fire alarm. This is either a veiled attempt to make the hotel guests use the hotel's phone (hence, the hotel makes a profit from the phone fees) OR the hotel is in DESPERATE need of upgrading its technology. I dealt with this by making phone calls on the balcony, with the doors shut.

In conclusion: Is Mirror Lake Inn a nice place? Yes. But is it worth what they are charging? Not at all. As a former die-hard Mirror Lake Inn fan (who at one point shelled out over $700/night to stay at this place) I am just too disappointed to return.

The "Suite Wing" at the Mirror Lake InnThe "Suite Wing" at the Mirror Lake Inn

Mirror Lake Inn Moose HeadMirror Lake Inn Moose Head

L-A @ The Cottage, Mirror Lake InnL-A @ The Cottage, Mirror Lake Inn

The Cottage restaurant @ Mirror Lake InnThe Cottage restaurant @ Mirror Lake Inn

Niagara Falls to Lake Placid

by miss_w

Hi, Im from the UK and travelling to America in September to do a flydrive tour of New York State/New England.

Approximately how long would it take me to drive from Niagara Falls to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks?

Thank you.

RE: Niagara Falls to Lake Placid

by dnwitte

You should count on the better part of a day. Note that that traffic enforcement is very heavy on the few routes across the Adirondack Park, especially Rte. 3, so you really do need to observe speed limits. The good news is that traffic should be light.
I know you weren't asking for route suggestions, but in case this is any help, the secondary road hugging the Lake Ontario shoreline up to Watertown is slower but more interesting than the mind numbing blankness of Interstate 90.

As you leave Lake Placid, you encounter still more heavy police presence on the main roads to the Vermont border. Mind your p's and q's.

by miss_w

Thanks for the advice and route suggestion.

I did a google earth route plan and it suggested about 6 hours driving time. Is this accurate?

We are going to set off from Niagara at about 9.00am with a view to getting there late afternoon. Is that achievable with a couple of rest stops?

by TexasDave

That's about right. Towards the latter part of September the fall foliage gets brighter, with the colors usually peaking around the first of October before all the leaves fall off.

by nicolaitan

I would agree with the driving time frame - before reading the replies my estimate was 6-7 hours. On the NY thruway go with traffic and don't ever be the fastest moving vehicle over 70mph.

by miss_w

Thanks for all your replies guys! Now I know I can get there ok in the day im going to book some accomodation on Lake Placid for a lovely relaxing evening by the water before we head off to Vermont and New Hampshire.

We have never driven in the US before, so are going to take it easy on the accelorator. Dont want to wreck the holiday!

by dnwitte

I frequently drive between Lake Placid and Vermont, so if you want any pointers feel free to ask.
It's beautiful country for a road trip.

by dnwitte

Oh, by the way, your best choice for a lovely relaxing evening by the water would probably be the Mirror Lake Inn.

by miss_w

Haha! That's the hotel I was looking at. It looks stunning.

Comments