The Whiteface Lodge

Average Value

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Travelers Recommended Hotels

Overpriced and Bad Customer Service

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2012

I completely agree with FoxFamilyFromBoston.

We stayed here for a week, for a late-summer wedding. The wedding party had booked a large number of rooms, well in advance. Our room was quoted to us weeks in advance as "a 3-bedroom." The price was outrageous -- we could easily have stayed at the Ritz or Four Seasons in Maui for the same per-day price. But when we got there, it wasn't a 3-bedroom -- it was a 2 bedroom. When we complained, an incredibly rude desk attendant told us to have one kid sleep on the pull-out couch in the living room (thus, I guess, confining us adults to our bedroom every night after 8pm until after 8am the next morning). We said that would not work and asked for a larger room, but none was available. We asked for a roll-away cot, but the hotel doesn't provide them. We were given no solutions whatsoever, and had to go buy our own sleeping bag and gear at a local sporting goods store (at considerable expense) to fix the hotel's mispreresentation of the room. Had the wedding not been at the hotel, we would have simply left right then and gone elsewhere but that was not an option.

For $800 per night, and a large wedding party booking a block of rooms, you would have expected most of the luxuries usually associated with "Top Hotels of the World," right? Nope. They will not dry clean or launder clothes, any clothes, for example. The concierge was woefully unprepared to discuss where we might go hiking in the surrounding Adirondacks. We had a hard thunderstorm one afternoon, and the water came pouring in through the ceiling -- and the engineering staff's solution was to mop it up with our towels, and (I guess) leave the leak un-fixed. There is no ice machine, you have to call for Ice and then tip the person who brings it 45 minutes later, should you want ice. And there is no minibar -- at all. You may eat dinner in the (incredibly overpriced) restaurant, but ONLY if you have a reservation. If you show up, as we did, with kids in tow and there are lots of unoccupied tables TOO BAD -- no seat for you without a reservation, period.

The hotel offered us zero compensation or even remedy for any of this.

I travel all over the world. I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year. I rarely complain and I'm generally understanding. But I would never spend the money to stay in this place again.

Unique Quality: Uniquely bad service; uniquely high price. Very average accommodation.

Horrible customer service experience...

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 15, 2009

The Whiteface Lodge is an over-priced resort run by corporate vultures where draining your pocket is more important than good hospitality.

Upon making the reservation we mentioned we had two small poms traveling with us and the agent never said it was a problem .Yet the next day we were stopped in the lobby and were told we needed to have the dogs removed from the property immediately. I returned straight to our room to make arraignments and within minutes received a 'courtesy' call from a nasty individual at the front desk informing us that for every day the dogs stayed we would be charged $300. I was not even given a chance to find a boarding place yet! I wasted 1/2 day until l found a place for the dogs and it cost over $300.00 for the weekend boarding.

Seeing that it was a weekend we could not pick up the dogs until 4:00 p.m. Sunday which was our planned return date. Boston is a 6 hours drive with a 4 year old so we called the manager on duty to ask for a late-check out. In addition to being unaccommodating with our situation my wife got nothing but nasty attitude from the manager who tried to put the blame back on us. When my wife told her that her tone was very unprofessional, the manager told her the SHE was the one with the attitude! Never in my life have I come across such blatantly rude customer service. As for the late checkouts, we were told for a few extra hours we would be charged an extra half day!

My wife works for Westin Hotels and will be sure that everyone she speaks to is warned about the horrible attitude she received from the staff. I have been very blessed in life and own a company that services the motion picture industry and will be sure to do the same. I don't want anything from anyone. Money means nothing to me when it come to my family having a good time and stress free experience when on vacation. It's too late for that now.

Nearby The Whiteface Lodge

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Lake Placid Travel Forum

Need advice about Lake Placid, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for Lake Placid and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Lake Placid hotel reviews

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Lake Placid
Flume Trail System - River Trail
Sports & Outdoors
Ride a Bobsled! Swoosh!!!!
Excitement! Olympic Jumping Complex
Walk the Serene & Scenic Mirror Lake
Things to Do
Spectacular views - Whiteface Gondola Ride!
Things to Do
Awesome & Fun! High Falls Gorge!
Drive the Scenic Veteran's Memorial Highway
Hike Mt. Jo! Adirondack Heart Lake Visitor Center
Adventures in Lake Placid
Hike Cascade Mountain
Sports & Outdoors
Swim in a mountain lake!
Mountain Biking!
Ski Jumping Complex
Horseback Riding
mistake by the lake
Restaurants
Scenic View Train - (Don't Do It)
Things to Do
Mt. Algonquin: A good challenge!!
Bobsled Run
Bobsled Ride On The Olympic Circuit
Lake Placid Olympic Region
We love this place!!!
Restaurants
some grub and drink near the lake
SCOPE THE SLOPE!
Do Not Eat Here
Restaurants
Not much to select from here
Restaurants
A view of the tri-lake area
Favorites