1600 Veterans Memorial Highway, Islandia, New York, 11749, United States
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Long Island

Inside by the souna valley.Inside by the souna valley.

Outdoor pool open in the winter tooOutdoor pool open in the winter too

Sushi Chef MakotoSushi Chef Makoto

swan whispererswan whisperer

Reasonable Car Rental from LaGuardia to Smithtown, NY

by luckymom58

Does anyone know of any reasonable car rental places between LaGuardia and Smithtown, LI/Expressway exit 111 ? We are flying into LaGuardia on Friday,
July 3rd and return to LaGuardia Sunday, July 12th. Usually it's around $500 for a week give or take but they want $1,000 even w/ my entertainment coupon!

Trying to avoid having family drive us into the Airport. If we could get a location close to LaGuardia, we could take a taxi or car service -- but most of the car rental places aren't open on Sundays.

Does the Train go out from LaGuardia to Long Island?

by Donna_in_India

Hi - I just checked National out of LGA for your dates and total rate was $665. That included a week and 3 extra days. You can cut that by about $50 if it works out to be only 2 extra days. Good luck! (I checked on travelocity.com)

This is what I checked...

National Car Rental
Economy Car

Chevrolet Aveo or similar with automatic transmission, air conditioning
Guarantee Required

Capacity: 4 passengers, 2 bags

Pick-up Fri, Jul 3, 10:00am

Location New York La Guardia Airport (LGA)
Call For Car Company Shuttle.

Drop-off Sun, Jul 12, 04:00pm

by Donna_in_India

Here's the $$ info:

Review the Total
National Car Rental Economy Car rental, 10 day(s) at $334.68/week includes unlimited miles/kilometers.

Weekly rate (applies to each 7 day period)
1 week(s) @ $334.68 $334.68
3 extra day(s) @ $55.78 $167.34

Subtotal $502.02
Taxes and Fees $163.84

Total due at rental counter: $665.86

by footstool

Hi. Welcome to VT! Do you intend to use this rental car every day, or are you intending to rent it just for this 1 round trip? After making a cursory check on Mapquest, LaGuardia is only about 40 miles from Smithtown. When I take a cab, from Staten Island to Kennedy Airport (on the south side of Queens; LaG is on the north side), I'm charged around $75 for the 30 mile trip. Of course, we don't know how large your party is, if you are a City person, how seasoned a traveler you are (your profile is completely blank), etc.

by footstool

Hi Donna!

Travel Tips for Long Island

Tourist Guides and Maps

by chodearm

Theres not too much literature out there about the tourist attractions in Long Island unless its about the Hamptons. One source I find the most useful is these two maps put out by the long Island Business and commerce bureau. Heres a link. http://www.tmdesign.net/ezguide/scenic/scenic.html This is for scenic towns of LOng Island and then http://www.tmdesign.net/ezguide/arts/arts.html for Arts and Cultural institutions.

Cacti

by chodearm

Cacti and I have never really gotten along. I have had my run-in with the nastiest of the species. Sitting on my windowsill, so close to my toilet, were three representatives from this odd plantlife. They sat behind me, quietly, as I hung over the bowl, naked, throwing up the nights liquids. My hiney, mimicking the moon hung high above. I violently thrust out more liquid and the pullback backed me up a little too far. The beavertail looking cacti injected tons of little sharp hair follicles into my left cheek. Itchy painful, Yuki had a new job with a pair of tweezers.

So now to the trail a year or so later, I thought I wouldn't have to see these babies out in the NorthEast wild. I thought a trip to the desert was my only chance for another run in. But here, in Long Island blaring out of the dead winter underbrush lay this little bastard.

Seagulls

by chodearm

Never really think much about the various animals that roam free on Long lsland. Theres Raccoons, Deer, various waterfowl, Wild Turkeys, Red Fox, Seagulls, migratory birds, visiting Harbor seals, whales, eastern box turtles, snakes, thousands of underwater creatures, osprey, appossums and many others that would be redundent to list here. Please don't feed the wildlife, for they should lay reliant on the means for food that they were before humans interacted and encroached their lands.

Beach Sculptures

by chodearm

Close one eye. Leave the better of your two, the one closer to 20/20, open. Pan the beach around you. Its simple, theres all your elements, sand, water, sky, fragmite, dunes. Another prominent forieng object, the driftwood. Keep that eye closed if that isn't your creative eye, switch. Run over to the driftwood, accost it, watch for splinters, now drive it into the sand. You are POLEDIGGER. Bury a few feet into the earth. You penetrated MOTHER EARTH with your log. Find a few more pieces scattered about. Add to the single standing piece. You just made a sculpture, you are an artist, and earth artist, a nature artist, an Andy Goldsworthy of sorts.

Piping Plovers Nesting Areas

by chodearm

If you see the signs don't disrespect. These birds were on the endangered list and populations have been replenishing, due to cooperation of visitors to Fire Island. I know it sections off the beach a bit but we all gotta share this.

Comments