1871 House

130 East 62nd Street, between Park and Lexington, New York City, New York, 10065, United States

More about 1871 House

Charming Sojourn at Manhattan's 1871 House

by TripAdvisor Member rmace

I stayed at Manhattan's 1871 House November 5 -7, 2006. 1871 House is an extraordinarily quaint boutique hotel, remarkably decorated and maintained, situated in a great neighborhood in Midtown East. The rooms are comfortably and elegantly appointed. I found my short stay to be quiet and relaxing -- and too short!! Convenient to numerous retail shops, restaurants, churches, museums and other places of interest, 1871 House is located in a prime, "tony" location and is a delightful place to retreat to after a long day's shopping, touring, or whatever it is that brings one to the Big Apple.

Peace and quiet in the City

by TripAdvisor Member 20204949

1871 House was so perfect for our time in the City. We live out in the country in Florida, my husband formerly lived in midtown Manhattan, and 1871 House allowed us to fully enjoy the intensity of the City. 1871 House afforded us the peace, quiet and privacy necessary to completely relax and refresh between outings. The constant barrage of stimulation of the street experience can be almost overwhelming; it was essential for us to have quiet time. We were able to leave everything at the front door, retreat to our beautifully decorated, spotless room and fully unwind and recharge. The information provided in the 1871 House information packet fully prepared us for any and all possible scenarios and gave us exactly what we needed to plan our vacation down to the smallest detail. We started planning our next trip on the flight home; we can't wait to go back!

great experience

by TripAdvisor Member crabgrass

I stayed in the mission studio for a week in the beginning of August. During that time I really enjoyed staying at 1871 house. I felt like I had my own apartment, it was great! I especially adored the dining counter located in the recess near the microwave. It was an especially convenient, comfortable, and relaxing place to read, write, eat, and use the phone. Also, the couch in the room was just about the most comfortable piece of furniture I've ever sat on. 1871 House really gives you a feel of what it is like living in Manhattan, the exact kind of experience I travel for.

delightful experience

by TripAdvisor Member S.Z.Stockholm

My stay at the 1871 house was fabulous. My fiancé and I stayed at the Madison suite which was totally charming; extremely spacious and beautifully appointed, and -spotlessly clean. Furthermore, the bed was very comfortable and even with the window open the room was quiet at night. Staying at the 1871 house was like having your own, quaint appartment (it felt like being in the country) at this very convenient location in the City, and way preferable to staying at large impersonal hotels. You also have the choice of not eating out for every single meal, since the suites have fully functional kitchens, something that can be a relief, especially for longer stays.

Our experience was further enhanced by a romantic and totally delicious dinner at Fig and Olive (excellent wine selection) a minute away on Lexington Avenue. We also had a fantastic brunch at the proprietress Lia's recommendation at Via Quadronno, a pleasant 10 min walk from the house. I think this is the perfect place to stay in the City; an oasis to return to after a day of running around town.

Great for business travel

by TripAdvisor Member alboo9

I have been regularly staying at 1871 house for the last few years. It is aways a pleasant experience. Lia is a very gracious host.

Perfect Spot in a Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member SherryandJim

We have just returned from a wonderful stay in New York's Upper East Side with our four adult children, and our accomodation in the 1871 House definitely contributed to our enjoyment of our trip. My husband and I had the Garden Room and it was quiet and elegant. We loved the terrace and enjoyed our morning coffee there. Our children shared the Madison Suite and found they had plenty of room. The location couldn't be better, just a short walk to numerous interesting shops and Central Park. Would return in an instant!

One of the BEST deals in New York, great location.

by TripAdvisor Member grotman

I booked my wife into this hotel/B & B. The owners were so nice. My wife was eight months pregnant and the owners went way out of thier way to make her comfortable. The rooms were huge by NY standards and quite charming. Where can you find a 3 bedroom suite in NY for less than $300-$400? At this B & B. Other rooms are less costly but no less charming. There were great places to eat and shop nearby. I would highly advise checking the 1871 House before booking a pricer 4-5 star hotel!

Thanks Greg & Sally

Great Location - Nice place, could use a little more attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member sfjetsetter

We stayed in the 1871 House for a few days at the beginning of October. I hasten to give much information because I've read further down & seen the owner's slamming their guests who have anything negative to say (makes me really question all of the descriptions of "friendly & hospitable owners"). Anyhow, we never even met the owners during our stay. This site is supposed to help people in making a fair unbiased decision on where to stay, hopefully I can give a truthful review without being called crazy by the innkeepers.

Anyhow, as many have said, and I echo, the location is absolutely amazing. You are close to everything and in the middle of the action. You get a great feel of what it is like to really live in New York City. Complete with low water pressure & squeaky floors. This didn't bother us too much since the name IS 1871 House. What was more worrisome was the overlooking of small details that you would expect in a "cozy" establishment. Closets that were indeed filled with cleaning supplies and maybe 3 hangers. Kind of thing you expect when staying with family instead of paying for a room. The small refrigerator in our room had a broken handle and a sticker that said "Open Carefully". We were as careful as possible and yet it still fell off everytime we touched it. Couldn't $50 be spent on a refrigerator with a working handle? Additionally, our room had two plates, two cups, two bowls, a wine opener & one plastic fork. Now admittedly, this room did not have a full kitchen, but if you are going to provide the other items, why not at least give more utensils than one plastic fork?
The furnishings were lovely, I did like the little touches. You could tell that the owners took extra time in the design. However, when you literally have to slam a bathroom door to get it to close & lock, it takes away from the other charms (plus you feel guilty that you might be waking up all the other guests). Also it would have been nice to have an option to pull down heavier shades behind the lacey ones to block out street light in the middle of the night.
As you can see, unfortunately it's all in the details. Very small economical things can be done to make this place absolutely perfect to stay in.
In closing I would recommend this place.

disappointing stay in the basement

by TripAdvisor Member pattyo11275

After fabulous reviews, we were so disappointed by our stay at the 1871 house. We stayed 7 nights in the mission studio with four people. 10 VERY steep steps down a VERY narrow corridor (which we were reminded so many times not to bump the walls with our luggage) led to the basement room.

Positives-
The location was fabulous.
We were able to sleep four people in our room.
Small refrigerator
Queen bed was comfortable.

Negatives-
2 folding spring cots were very uncomfortable. Don't sit on them or you'll fall through.
Being in the basement, we read would make "this apartment especially quiet and private." The management of the property has a young child, and each morning was started off at 7:00 am with the noise from above foot steps. Not intentionally loud, but enough to wake me up and keep me awake. The basement window is also the location for all the trash cans. Mornings were also started off with the garbage being rattled just outside the window. It was NOT a quiet room.
The bathroom was the worst. The shower was SO small that it was difficult to get in and close the door at the same time. It had much mold and mildew all over. The temperature frequently changed during showers between scalding hot and ice cube cold. I didn't feel comfortable letting my children use it with out me close by due to being scalded by sudden and unpredictable scalding (literally) hot water.
No tissues or paper towels (after being informed to use tissues rather than the towels to take off makeup) Towels were delivered only after several days. We initially had only four towels for 4 people. If we wanted more or to exchange for clean ones, we were to drop off the dirty ones between 10:00ama and 4:00pm. During a vacation, we were never there during those hours to get clean towels.
Over all, the location was wonderful and made this the only redeeming quality of our stay. I could not recommend it to others, nor would I stay there again.

Paris in New York

by TripAdvisor Member Pierson-Bonaparte

It was my husband's first trip to the Big Apple, and he loves Paris. We felt we were in a quiet, charming setting in France. The location is superb half a block from delightful eateries and flowers on each corner at the local delis. We had the rear library room which was quiet and had a kitchenette so we felt right at home. The lace curtains and embroidered bedcover accented the rest of the tastefully done decor. We had a spectacular time and wouldn't stay anywhere else next time.

BED AND BREAKFAST IN NYC

by ForestqueenNYC

Can anyone recommend a B&B in Manhattan or a good B&B website.

by 10028

If you're thinking a B&B will be less expansive than a hotel, that's usually not the case in NYC. And many of the B&Bs are completely different from what you'd find in Europe, here they are mostly apartments, without full service.

That said, a friend always stays at Jack & Judy's (www.jacksbandb.com). It's a brownstone on a beautiful west side block. Definitely not luxurious, but very liveable.

Others to consider are Wyman House, West Eleventh Townhouse, 1871 House, Abington Guest House. Have a look at the tripadvisor.com reviews, and be sure to look through the traveler's photo section. It'll give you a better idea than the B&B's own web site.

There are also apt.-style hotels. The most frequently recommended is the Beacon, which would be my first choice. The Affinia Group has several Manhattan locations, all with kitchen facilities. And the Salisbury is a good budget option in midtown. Some of their rooms have kitchenettes.

by ForestqueenNYC

Thanks, 10028. I am looking for a friend of mine who lives in Paris. Will send her the info.

That cosmo you're drinking in your i.d. photo looks mighty tasty.

by 10028

It was!

Let me know if you need more info, I'd be glad to help.

by ForestqueenNYC

Thanks. I am waiting to here from her regarding your information.

by Alwaystravel77

Hi,

I would check www.bookingbest.com. I had a couple bookings with them and satisfied.The rates are not bad at all!!

by ForestqueenNYC

Thanks for that site. I will keep it for myself. My friend has found a place to stay for her visit to New York.

Comments