414 West 46 Street

Hotels.com Booking.com Priceline.com

• Clean, Comfortable, and Pleasant

I was worried about bed bugs in New York so I chose a chain, thinking they have more at stake.

I had a nice time here.

It was a great location for me, near the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre so I could walk 5 minutes to shows and I had a great time.

Whole Foods round the corner and felt pretty safe.

Unique Quality: The staff let me use their fax for free, when I was in a jam and needed to fax documents for work.

Directions: Chelsea

• Fort William Henry lake George has bed bugs ouch

Do not stay at the fort William Henry hotel in lake George new York. While the lake view is quite lovely, the bed bite frenzy that occurred to us in the middle of the night was a vampire nightmare. We saw the bugs in the am and told staff help.

Unique Quality: Not clean

Directions: Lake George upstate new York region

• Great Hotel With One Problem

I would recommend this hotel highly for single female travelers and for couples.It felt very safe.
    My husband, my German friend, and I recently stayed for two nights. The location is lovely and the room was very nice. The service was also good.

However, there was one serious problem. THE EXTRA BED HAD A PLASTIC MATTRESS THAT WAS NOT MADE FOR SLEEPING. WHEN I ASKED THE FRONT DESK FOR A DIFFERENT MATTRESS, IT ARRIVED IMMEDIATELY AND WAS IDENTICAL TO THE FIRST ONE.
    MY FRIEND WAS UNABLE TO SLEEP ON THE MATTRESS AND ,MY HUSBAND, A CAMPER, USED THE EXTRA BED, BUT SLEPT VERY POORLY BOTH NIGHTS.

Please replace the mattress on all your roll beds with a mattress that is made for sleeping. Until then, do not rent rooms with a roll bed!!!

Unique Quality: Great Location

Directions: Times Square Area

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Great Little Boutique Hotel

Having grown up in New York, I don’t know much about hotels, so when I passed by this charmer I decided to go in and have a look so I’d have something to recommend to people. What an adorable hotel! It’s quiet, very well decorated (sleek but not super hip), has a cute little terrace area and they have all kinds of amenities like a free breakfast and wifi. I asked to be shown around and the staff was lovely even though I said I wasn’t interested in it for myself. It’s in the area called “Hell’s Kitchen,” but don’t let the name scare you away. The neighborhood is really coming into it’s own and this would definitely be on my short list of places to stay if I were coming into the city.

Unique Quality: Great outside terrace area as well as some wonderful free amenities.

• 70 Park Avenue Kimpton Hotel

A luxurious hotel for guests seeking a stylish residential ambiance and gracious service, 70 park avenue is ready to be your home away from home in New York. 70 park avenue hotel encourages guests to Live Life Well through a host of inspiring symphony of musical touch points. For the passionate business person or the savvy adventurer, 70 park avenue is a melodic sanctuary where rhythm and rhyme redefine what it means to be a lifestyle boutique hotel. All the while, placing guests within walking distance of many of New York's favorite attractions, such as Fifth Avenue shopping, the United Nations building, Rockefeller Center and Broadway shows. Inside the hotel, the "Living Room" lobby, designed by Jeffrey Bilhuber, provides the perfect setting for guests to relax, engage and laugh. The Living Room also welcomes guests with a complimentary wine reception each evening. Hotel amenities include full concierge services, WiFi Internet throughout the hotel, valet parking, complimentary overnight shoeshine, and complimentary access to the nearby fitness center. Culinary treats are served daily at the adjacent silverleaf tavern. Drawing upon New York City's diverse culinary history and inspired by the early American tavern, silverleaf bring locals and guests together with its wide range of tempting menu and cocktail offerings.

The pet-friendly hotel welcomes pets with a treat and food and water dishes to use during their stay. Walking services are also available.

Jeffrey Bilhuber brings his renowned interior design skills into each of the 205 luxurious guestrooms, which serve the hotel's Live Life Well mantra. Standard amenities include L'Occitane bath amenities, plush robes, cordless phone with voicemail and dataport; 24-hour room service; hairdryer; minibar; morning paper; room service and 42' flat-screen cable television with CD/DVD player, iHome alarm clocks, surround sound and on-demand movies. Guests can refresh and rejuvenate with the in-room spa services and Yoga TV channel with complimentary yoga accessories. 70 park avenue hotel also features Kimpton's Forgot It, We've Got It program, where toiletry items that you may have left at home are complimentary provided for you.

Unique Quality: 205 spacious guestrooms and suites featuring walls of rich brown showcasing the natural light and soft earth tones/textures, inducing a feeling of comfort and serenity. Infinity mirrors create a sense of space and further reflect the light. Accents such as 'bypass' bathroom doors, Candella portable lanterns, artwork, and residential furnishings underscore the hotel's distinction.

Directions: Located on the corner of Park Avenue and East 38th Street, within walking distance of Grand Central Station, Fifth Avenue shopping, Broadway Theatre District. It is 8 miles from LaGuardia Airport, 15 miles from JFK and 18 miles from Newark Intl.

• Would Never Stay Again

I would not recommend this Inn to any traveler visitng NY. We stayed 1/8/04-1/11/04 and were very disappointed. The first room that we were put in did not have a lock on the window that lead directly to the fire escape onto the street. We were told by the first manager that we had nothing to worry about b/c there were "sensors." Not satisfied with this story we approached a different manager who was more than happy to move us to another room. However, the heat did not work (at all) and it was 10 degrees outside. Once again we complained and were offered a room with twin beds. However, this is not what we booked nor was it what we were billed for. So, we toughed it out with a small space heater as our only means of heat in the month on Jan! In addition, the hotel misadvertises: there are NOT hairdryers in the rooms, irons, the muffins and bagels are stale, the electrical outlets by the sink do not work, and their idea of a king size bed is two twin beds pushed together with king size coverings. GHETTO! Word to the wise, if you want a decent place to stay, do not stay at the 414 Inn.

Unique Quality: No heat, windows do not lock, and the continental breakfast is stale.

Directions: Midtown West

• New Yorks greatest Inn

It was a great place to stay. Lots of things to do, a beautifull pool and view. They had a well kept hotel and I would highly recommend it!

Unique Quality: I liked how they had a pool, Hot tub, weight room. There was just things to do so once we got back to our hotel we werent bored.

Directions: Hotel located near:
    Trains A,C,E,N,Q,R,I, and 9 Port Authority Bus Terminal Grand Central and Pennsylvania Train Stations

More about 414 Hotel

mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member mad4NYC

After reading the reviews on this site, I booked through hotels and stayed 4 nights from Dec 28-Jan 1. Was told if I had direct booked I would have had a shot at a better room facing courtyard with king size bed. Wasn't offered because of discount hotels booking.

First of all, the pluses: Great central location within walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. Very nice staff, wrote us a welcome note and gave us a bottle of wine upon arrival. They were available for questions, recommendations if needed. We felt comfortable coming and going. Room was clean and attractive in a low budget kind of way, and bed was not great but comfortable enough. The continental breakfast was a nice touch. The caring staff tried to solve problems as they arose. Checkout was at noon and we were able to store our suitcases in the lobby area after checkout but before we left town.

Minuses: Room was small and not much storage area. Very narrow staircase offered great exercise but hard to maneuver with suitcases. We were on the fourth floor, and the first 2 nights we were there it was so hot in our room that we couldn't sleep. Radiator heat with no room controls; had to open windows just to make it bearable, which brought in the noise from the street. Don't stay here if you are a light sleeper who can't sleep through street noise! The room temp was better the second two nights but we still had to have windows wide open. One bedside lamp wasn't working and we couldn't find a control for it but when I felt down the cord there was a break in it where safety wrap had come off, a dangerous lamp but since it wasn't working anyway, there was no real threat. The bathroom fan had no on/off switch either, so we couldn't figure out how to get it on. It was needed as the bathroom gets quite steamy and humid. The hot water in the shower was more like lukewarm, not as hot as I like it. Breakfast coffee one morning was ice cold and undrinkable. Croissants were fresh and tasty; muffins seemed day old (stale).

Overall, I had a decent experience because it's NY and the trip was great all together. I liked the location very much; had never stayed on the west side and it was so convenient for theater. Restaurant row is literally a block away. I can't say I'd stay there again though; especially on the fourth floor in the winter. If you try it, request a lower room facing courtyard for less noise (so I'm told).

Great little hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Where2?

Stayed here for 4 nights in early January. I like this hotel a lot. For the most part, it was clean. They have free breakfast, though I was never up early enough to try it. It was quiet. Great night's sleep!
I liked the room's size, very comfortable bed, and large spacious bathroom.
If you want to watch tv, only a few channels work, but that was fine by me.
There is no elevator so be prepared to carry your own luggage upstairs.
I got a great deal for this comfortable room.
Great location! Very close to the Theatre District and Time Square.
Have fun!

Hello guys,

A bit of a longshot here, But I'm planning a trip over next year with the misses, as she wants to go do the shopping thing in NYC and to make it a bit interesting for me I fancy a trip up to montgomery NY to visit OCC as Im a bit of an American Chopper fan from the TV over here.

When I came over a few years ago, I found that if I had booked my accomodation direct I would of saved 20 bucks each per person per night, but I also found one of the hotels I stayed in somewhere around 110th was a total dive and only could handle 1 night.

So what I am after is somewhere clean and basic, (just somewhere to sleep at night) that I could contact direct and avoid these annoying websites that over exagerate how good the hotels are.

Any suggestions guys,

Just some hotel names and street numbers would be good

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Re: Looking for a half decent, not too posh hotel in manhattan and one on way to montgomery NY

by timessquare

What is your budget?

by BigRobCoUk

not unlmitted but upto about 1000 bucks for 2 people, but i gotta be realistic being a busy city

cheers

by timessquare

$1000 for 2 people for how many days?

by nicolaitan

For an upstate motel, there is a serviceable, old but clean, Super8 motel one or two exits west of Montgomery on I 84 in Maybrook. Not posh, not expensive.

by BigRobCoUk

thanks for the heads up on that one near montgomery. I will wizz away and look it up in a moment.

I realise on looking that i under estimated the 1000 bucks hehe. Things have gone up since i was over last hehe.

i have found a place on the web called 414 hotel http://www.414hotel.com

I looks okay from the pics but i know they can be decieving. I have read some good report on it.

Any ideas or thoughts.

Its about 200 bucks per night.

Thanks in advance.