60 Thompson

TabletHotels.com Booking.com Sixty SoHo

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• merimichelle's Profile Photo

Loud toilets scare children

Great service! Great amenities, hip facilities yet loud toilets. Yes I said loud toilets ! the walls are some what thin and you can hear whenever someone flushes a toilet beside you, above you, below you all around you....for lite sleepers it can be annoying (you get use to it) for small children the noise can be scary! Overall a great place! Price was about 400+ for two double beds in the month of dec.

Unique Quality: The roof has an amazing view nice lounge area too!!!! Great restaurant on bottom floor! Very hip decor lots of young people.

Directions: 60 Thompson St., New York, NY 10012, USA
    heart of soho! look it up on mapquest!

More about 60 Thompson

Down on 60 Thompson

by TripAdvisor Member Dcislander

Great Location, cool rooms then it all goes downhill from there. If you want any attention from the front desk staff do not stay at 60 Thompson. If you want to control your room temperature do not stay at 60 Thompson. If you want a hotel that listens to their guest when there are problems... do not stay at 60 Thompson. Our room was about 95 degrees and could not cool down (it was a November stay). We were told to open our window--ever stay in a NY hotel room with an open windw? Might as well sleep on the street. The front desk staff could not care less about the issue (nor the same problem when the person in front of us on the checkout line complained about the same problem). Even a letter to the hotel manager met with no repsonse. The bar is cool and the staff at the door are nice, but you are better served at the Mercer, Soho/Tribecca Grand or any of the W Hotels where they actually care about giving you a good stay.

Liked 60 Thompson A-LAH!!!!!

I stayed at 60 Thompson last weekend and was pleasantly surprised given some of the comments I've read here. To begin with, the location is great. There are many many fabulous restaurants (Kin Khao is awesome!!!!) within a few blocks, as well as wonderful shopping. The doormen and bell hops were extremely nice and helpful. It took a while to check in, but who cares? The lobby is a bit shabby. It does need new carpet and a new look overall...it looks better at night. We had a standard queen room on the 6th floor. The view was nothing great, but it wasn't bad either. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've had in a hotel (I've stayed in 6 different hotels in NYC in the past year so I'm getting good at judging these things :) . I don't know what some people's problem is with a duvet cover vs. a sheet. They wash the duvet cover just like they wash a sheet and put a new one on for each guest. It's really better....less to get all tangled up in. The size of the room is, well, small. But not as small as rooms at the Hudson. There's a bit more space to navigate. The bathroom is very nice...not terrific lighting for putting on makeup and the shower/tub is only big enough for one person, but it's all dark tile w/ white fixtures....very pretty. The shampoo and lotions are from Fresh and smell fab. I went to the Fresh store to buy them but too expensive!! The best thing about this hotel is the rooftop bar. There are very cozy couches up there, strong drinks, and a great view. It's open way late into the night and when everything else was dead it was hopping. Seemed to be a very international crowd at the hotel. I would definitely stay there again. It's also convenient for driving into and out of the city. The exit for the Holland Tunnel is 2 blocks away. Valet parking is $35/night. One note is that we paid $179/night for this hotel thru Expedia. I would not pay more than $200/night to stay here. If you can get it for $200 or less per night, my opinion is that it is a good deal.

Wanted to like 60 Thompson - but just could not.

by TripAdvisor Member kelangst

I wanted so much to like 60 Thompson. The service was pretty good, and the Kittichai restaurant was really great. And the real standout is the rooftop bar.

But for the money - and you'll spend a great deal of money - this hotel just does not live up to the promise. The room we were in was so loud at all hours. Even hushed conversations were easily heard through the walls. And when we complained that we would like a room that was more quiet - well lets just say that it was made clear that our $350 a night was not enough to be placed in a more comfortable room.

We booked an upgraded room - as you can see from my nightly rate versus others on this thread of reviews. But we were next to an elevator, above the kitchen, and next to a service room. Loud loud loud.

The Soho Grand is just around the corner from 60 Thompson and is just as hip without as much attitude and definitely a better room. So save the extra $125 a night.

A SOHO Sweetspot

Need a hotel in SOHO at a reasonable price, with an outrageously courteous and helpful hotel staff, a rooftop bar and lounge with spectacular views of Wall Street and the Empire State Building, clean rooms, comfortable beds, quiet air conditioning that has controls that actually work, and great people watching? 60 Thompson is it. There are great eats and bars in the neighborhood and the art galleries are right around the corner. We'll definitely stay here again the next time the grandparents can watch the kids!

Definitely not worth the money

DEFINITELY NOT worth the price. This small hotel is nice and minimally hip, in a great location(one of the few hotels in the midst of SOHO), but nothing special. There are many, many hipper and nicer hotels in NYC for a better price. The rooms are nice and spacious for NYC, but the basic amenities are missing. We had to request an iron and our toiletries were never replaced after the first day. We were there for a week, and even after multiple requests for shampoo, soap, etc., never received them. The hotel staff were nice and courteous. The bar on the roof, which everyone touts as "fabulous" was never open. Nothing seemed to ever be going on at 60 Thompson. We have been to NYC 10 times and are very well-traveled and enjoy boutique hotels, but I would never stay here again. If you're looking for hipness, stay at the "W" or Royalton. For the same price, you could also stay at the Waldorf Astoria and feel like your money was well-spent.

Beautiful, perfect chic

by TripAdvisor Member Dragonness

I feel fortunate to have been able to find an affordable rate that allowed me to stay one night at this utterly gorgeous hotel ($179 for a large queen room with large bathroom on our corporate travel agency's website instead of $400+).

Every single detail in this hotel is lush and beautiful. From the elevators to the rooftop bar, the design is warm minimalist chic.

The bathroom goodies - from Fresh - with Frette bathrobes - complement the beautiful dark marbled tile and fabulous power shower.

The room comes with large TV (hidden, naturally), DVD player, CD player, and a bunch of fun items for purchase (T-shirts that say "My boyfriend is out of town").

Instead of a bureau, the room comes with a sleek sofa with velvet cushions.

I just adore this place.

Oh, and the staff are friendly and room service prompt.

Fantastic stay!

by TripAdvisor Member danason

Chic, understated luxury. We loved this property -- spacious room, sumptuous black marble bath with walk in shower and Fresh bath products. The continental breakfast, with fresh fruit, homemade granola, yoghurt, pastries, fresh orange juice, coffee, tea was delicious and reasonable. We arrived early, and the front desk was friendly and helpful, taking our cell number so that they could let us know when the room was ready while we were out shopping. Location is great, walkable to NYU, the Village, and good restaurants and shopping. And a lovely roof-top patio for sunbathing in day and a drink in the evening. We found a great rate at Quikbook.com. Anne-Laurent, from the executive office who acted as concierge, was always helpful. A perfect stay -- definitely a 5 star hotel.

Shabby and Grotesquely Overpriced

If you're looking for a luxury hotel, this is not for you! I selected the hotel for location and because it appeared to be a deluxe establishment. I picked a junior suite in order to entertain friends and have some living space. I was told it was 500 square feet, which is not large but should have been sufficient. Well, the room was substantially less than 500 square feet, with room for about 4 people only to sit comfortably. Worse yet, it was very cheaply decorated and horribly maintained. There were sticky drip marks on the front of the mini bar, the leather chair had slash marks on it, the cheap finishings (e.g., flourescent light tubes) were poorly done (e.g. cabinet doors did not fit properly together and the "molding" on the walls was unfinished, sloppily painted strips of wood).

My Week In NYC - Am I on the right track

by bopper1234

I am coming to NYC for a week in late March. Here are my plans for hotel:

Monday to Thursday - The Benjamin
Friday to Monday - 60 Thompson

For Dinner:
Monday - Lupa
Tuesday - Pearl Oyster Bar
Wednesday - Drinks at the rooftop bar at the Beakman hotel (no dinner). I am looking for a view.
Thursday - I have a work function.
Friday - Go see a show (Avenue Q) and eat after at TAO.
Saturday - Dinner and Jazz at the Birdland Jazz Club.
Sunday - Peter Luger Steak House.

Any feedback? Are any of these great / terrible? Are there better choices? Better jazz clubs? Any ideas for after dinner spots?

by mariamartinez

Hi from Buenos Aires!!

I am reading your mail and I would like to be in your shoes...
I have been in NYC twice .. I can suggest going to Blue Note... I know that is the place where New Yorkers go to listen to Jazz, I consider this place as a classic one...

Enjoy yourself very much!!!
Elena.

by Eusko_Tren

Chez Es Sadda = (Reservations recommended) 42 East 1st Street
-or-
Restaurant 44 = the lobby of The Royalton Hotel (44 West 44th St) for drinks!!!

Beakman for drinks looks very good, but I've never heard of "I have a work function" is this a new bar/restaurant?! ;)

Enjoy

by iam1wthee

I have heard that Peter Lugers Steak House is the ultimate and best in NY by several friends and acquaintences of mine. It has been said that from time to time celebrities go there as well so you may want to bring a camera to take their picture or piece of paper for an autograph.

Comments