6 Columbus New York

Booking.com 6 Columbus AMOMA.com

More about 6 Columbus New York

Great experience at 6 Columbus

by TripAdvisor Member CricketMoore

Had a great stay at 6 Columbus in January! I found the staff to be very nice and attentive. The decor is fabulous in the lobby...It's got a very young, hip vibe. (Also had great food in the restaurant--Blue ribbon.) The rooms are small w/ no view (at least for us), but that's what I expect in New York...But, all of the elements in the room were nice...great linens, a flat screen TV, fresh products in the bathroom. My only complaint might be that we were close to the elevator and I heard it in the morning.

Overall, great experience. So nice that I'm sure I won't be able to afford it when the hotel is completely finished!

6 Columbus a winner (for the right price)

by TripAdvisor Member Indus5

My wife and I stayed at 6 Columbus for a Sat night in March 2008. The hotel looks like its brand new. Its a smaller building on 58th and 8th Ave, but right off of the famous Columbus circle and on the corner of Central Park so the location is quite central to midtown and upper west side. The stylings are quite modern and the staff were very attentive. We were upgraded from a pod room to a queen size bed for free which was great. That said, the hotel is a very small building, and the rooms are a little smaller than average, but two people don't really need more space than that. What matters is that the hotel is clean and brand spanking new. I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples with no children, but probably ONLY at the right price. I've heard the hotel rates average around $300 and up, but I got a greal deal on perfectescapes.com for $145 for a pod room. These may not last long as the hotel gains more and more popularity.

Excellent return trip to the 6 Columbus!

by TripAdvisor Member cricri7

I have stayed at the 6 Columbus 2 months ago and decided to book again this hotel because I had liked my experience there. I also booked this time through quikbook, which is the way to get the best rates.

I had given it a 4 star last time because I had trouble sleeping 2 of the 4 nights. There were rowdy boys next door and even if I called the front desk, the manager could not get them to quiet down. This time was totally different. I did not hear anything even if I was near the elevator. There are not many rooms per floor so there is less chance of people walking by your room. I booked the queen room this time because there were no pod rooms available but when you are alone, one or the other will do just fine.

The staff is simply the best. I arrived at 9:30 in the morning and was given a room right away. Almost all the doormen recognized me and welcomed me back warmly. They treat everyone the same and that is the biggest compliment I can pay them. They don't cater to only the trendy clientele, they cater to everyone..even if you are not a 20something model:)

The staff in the restaurant is the same. The manager Quint and the barmen, especially Keith, treat you warmly and I was even offered a nightcap when I stopped by in the evening before heading to my room. It is a great plus for the hotel because you feel like lingering there even if you are on your own. They take great care of you.

I would love finding something to complain about because then I could write to the manager and hope for complimentary nights in return, but I can't find anything negative to say about this hotel. I just fear that I will not be able to afford it much longer when their prices will surely go up.
d

nice little hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member jw9691

I was very pleased with my one night stay at 6 Columbus. They had a minor computer glitch which caused a brief delay in my check-in (no more than 5 minutes), and they upgraded me to a "deluxe" room to make up for that. The staff were very friendly and made a point to address me and other guests by name (even the bellmen). The room was small but very comfortable, and the bathroom amenities by Fresh were a nice touch. At the $199 rate I got on ---.com, it was a good deal and I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed March 20-24 and can't wait to return.

by TripAdvisor Member Chocokide

We chose to stay in Six Columbus because of the great location and reviews found here at TripAdvisor. I would recc. this hotel to those looking to explore the city and indulge themselves at a boutique hotel.

The hotel was very clean and the staff was quite helpful and courteous. The location is top notch directly across from the shops at Columbus Circle which houses a Whole Foods which is perfect for a tasty and inexpensive breakfast. Next door to the hotel is Starbucks, a bit further you will find a Duane Reade and Dunkin Donuts. You will find Central Park 2 minutes away and Times Square is a quick 12-15 minute walk from the hotel. Many subways are literally found right outside the front door of the hotel.

We had a weak wireless internet signal that was not protected, minimal noise from inside or outside the hotel, newspaper each morning and the best mini-bar and snacks I've ever seen. Our room was a good size - Queen superior and loads of space for all of our luggage.

The few downsides we noticed were:
The heater did not heat up the room (I wanted 82 and it would only reach 69). I had to sleep with a hoodie on for two nights to keep warm. We notified the front desk twice and upon check out we were told it was a problem within the entire hotel and they were working on it.
Very strange that the cleaning staff NEVER left the right amount of towels - not even when we checked in. First day no hand towels, then no face towels, then again no hand towels. Very strange, but housekeeping quickly bought up the towels when requested.
Lastly, we could not get a seat in the bar or dining area on the two nights we tried. Yes, we could have called ahead, but as a guest at any other hotel I've stayed in this has never been a cause for concern.

Even with the few downsides, I'd stay here again.

Small but very cool

by TripAdvisor Member sandpiper313

Did a last minute trip to NYC with my girlfriend and was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a "Pod" room which was quite small but very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was a normal size. The entire hotel has been redone is very chic. The hotel bar is small but cool. And, you are right across the street from the Time Warner mall/building....and right by the park. We got a great rate of $125/night from www.quikbook.com and couldn't pass it up. I would highly recommend this property. If you require space, do not stay in the Pod room. We didn't plan on staying in our room very much, so it met our needs.

Loved The Room And The Location

by TripAdvisor Member kimbobbc

If you a regular vistor to nyc you'll know that hotels are very expensive and you probably use craigslist to sublet.

well that's what i normally do - but i found a really good rate on the hotel's website - 145 dollars for the standard room per night.

now it is small - but where it lacks size it makes up for other things.

the location is perfect - i walked everywhere - even in the snow. it's right by the subway - and if you take the train to the airport - that's just 2 dollars and 45 minutes on the express train...

it's right next to my favourite store - wholefoods - so i was in their everyday. and then right by the park and near all the shops on fifth avenue.

the staff are very young - and trendy - but very helpful. the room was very nice - clean and excellent minibar. there was a complimentary copy of the new york times everyday - and that's the only way to get news outside the states - unless of course you watch cnn!!!1

the bathroom was cool - heated floors - and fresh brand cosmetics - watch the shower - very hot - but lovely then you can wrap up warm in the cosy bathrobe.

all in all for 145 bucks a night it was great - i would definitely go again - but if i stayed longer or with someone else i would go for a bigger room.

oh yes the bed was lovely - too

Way Too Small For Two People!

by TripAdvisor Member DRYAGEDPRIME

i cant belive this is a 4 star hotel!! yes the service was very nice and helpful but the room was just silly, i would say maybe 90sf!! i did not know that you could have a 4 star hotel with a full bed(two adults cant sleep comfortable on a full bed!!) no chair! no storage space (had too keep cloths in our luggage and store it on the one small window sill over looking a ally) the bath room was so small you had to step out just to dry yourself and there was not even a place to put your soap or shampoo!! very thin walls also, hard to sleep when every time sombody gets off the elivator or opens there room door it is so loud it wakes you up!! maybe it was that i booked on priceline and they put us in the worst room in the hotel!! but looking on the web site and the regular prices that they charge it is way way overpriced!! $400-1200 a night for a glorified closet!!! i dont think so!!

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member MNNTRAVEL

We stayed at the hotel because we had reservations for dinner at Per Se. The location can't be beat - it was across the street from the Time Warner Center. The employees were very courteous. There is a Duane Reade (or Rite Aide or similar drugstore) right next door in case you need something the hotel doesn't provide. When we checked in they said they were upgrading us to a King Deluxe, but the bed was not a king. Not a problem since the room was not too small. We were too exhausted to complain. Bathroom is decent with heated floors (but only half the floor was heated, by the sink but not in front of toilet or shower/bath). Fresh bath products. Turndown service at night. Inner rooms look out onto rooftop or shaft area. Loud AC unit from nearby buildings may keep you up at night if you are a light sleeper.

Subway stop across the street. Whole Food Market in the TW Center has a great food court for a snack to go. Right next to Central Park.

Great Location, Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SomeoneWashington

Found this hotel mostly by reviews on this website and others, and due to the fact that it had a really nice daily rate compared to other, trendy hotels in NYC. I have lived in NYC but not visited much (and usually stayed with friends and family when I did) and therefore have very little to compare this to with regards to other Manhattan hotels. Overall my wife and I really liked the hotel. The room was very nice, clean, and with a comfortable bed and a nice TV. It was also very small with a view of an airshaft and a tub made for a Hobbit. Having lived in a small place in Manhattan myself this did not bother me much, but I can see someone not used to such cosy quarters having trouble with it. Only other problems were that they kept having laundry delivery problems resulting in not having washcloths for two days... Also give you the Post (the Post??) and the Wall Street Journal is in the lobby; are they also in the Rupert Murdoch empire? To be fair they did offer to send someone out to get me the Times, but it wasn't worth having to tip the same price as the paper.

The location is great with easy access to A,C,B,D,1,2,3 trains, Central Park, Midtown, and UWS and the Village. I was really impressed with the bar at Blue Ribbon Sushi (bartenders were awesome) and the food was good. Unfortunately the sushi was inferior to the fried chicken which was great. Go for the alcohol.

Overall it was a nice week and a nice hotel. Would definitely stay there again if for no other reason than it is a nice place in a good location.

Stage door (arrowed) next to Irish pubStage door (arrowed) next to Irish pub

the chairthe chair

insideinside

Liz and I enjoying Dempsey'sLiz and I enjoying Dempsey's

Opinions on West Park Hotel

by AJMes

Does anyone have any opinions about the West Park Hotel on 58th? The hotel's website states that the rooms have been recently renovated. However, the key word is recently. Recently is such a vague word. After all, "recently renovated" could mean circa 1980. While I won't be in my room that much, I really don't want to spend my nights in a hole in the wall. However, I guess I shouldn't really complain about what I get at $130 a night.
Thanks
A

by alza

gosh, with the web, I think it would be difficult for a hotel to boast too long of being "recently renovated" if they meant circa 1980! haha.

I looked at all the West Park Hotel's photos, rooms have a minimalist theme... but it looks great for only $130, and with such a great location!

I forgot the name of a hotel I once stayed in on Central Park... Europa or something... now THAT was a hole in the wal! :-)

by feline01

I stayed there a couple of months ago for one night. The room was very small but reasonably clean and it was quiet. Location is excellent, one block south of Central Park and 1/2 block from the Columbus Circle subway stops where many lines converge. I only paid $89 the night which was well worth it.

by 1Chez

I stayed there a few weeks ago its awful!!!
Forget the official website, those pictures must have been taken decades ago!!And most of the words are untrue.
The place is dirty and even the pillows (all 4!) smelt like old mens greasy hair (it pained me to have to put my face against them).
The in room tv is all pay per view.. no free channels at all and the in room games are costly too. They advertise all guest rooms have Music facility and recieve Morning newspapers, which they dont either!! Also they dont advertise the 'special feature' of COCKROACHES in the bathroom!! Hmm, I wonder why!

Re: Re: Opinions on West Park Hotel

by alza

Thanks for the update, 1Chez! At $US130, I don't think we should have cockroaches! and dirty pillows... Yuck!
Must remember that name... to avoid it. :-)
I don't stay in hotels in NYC much, but if ever I hear of a good one at that reasonable price, I'll post it.
Cheers!

Late Night Ideas?

by AJMes

Since I am only twenty, spending my nights hoping from one bar to the next is out of the question. Plus, the bar scene is really not my cup of tea. Staying at the West Park Hotel, I am wanting to know of any good coffee shops or other hang outs around this area. Any other ideas, preferably cheap ideas, on how to spend my evenings would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I'm traveling solo if that should matter.

Re: Late Night Ideas?

by feline01

You're only 1 block from Central Park, the ultimate day-time hangout (don't go at night). There are several great movie theaters within walking distance on Broadway north of 62nd St. if you're looking for something to do at night. These cinemas like the Lincoln Plaza show foreign and independent films. If you head south on Broadway (Westpark is on 58th near Broadway, not in Columbus Circle like their address states), there are many, many restaurants, coffee shops etc. On 57th and 7th Ave, there's a nice coffee shop called Cafe Europa. Pick up a Village Voice, they are free on the streets and come out on Tuesday night. The newspaper lets you know everything to do for the upcoming week and the cost. Also, remember that many NYC museums have a suggested admission so if you're on a budget, simply tell them you are not paying anything or offer less. Suggested admission does NOT mean mandatory price.

Enjoy

Sue

Re: Late Night Ideas?

by nyc10025

There has already been a suggestion of the Village Voice which is a very good idea. The Voice has many night time activities listed, all over the city, many free or inexpensive. You can also meet people (if you want) at these activities.

Re: Re: Late Night Ideas?

by TempNomad

There are a lot of open mike night/musical venues during the week. The Living Room on the Lower East Side is one. A lot of places, even if they are bars, won't card unless you order something. Depot is another. Also, around Columbia/Barnard, NYU, and Hunter there are several cafe places that will have bands or live entertainment. Enjoy!

Re: Re: Late Night Ideas?

by Geisha_Girl

Hi,

It might be worth it for you to check out THE COFFEE SHOP in Union Square as well

29 Union Square West (at 16th St)

They offer late night dining and is a lively, bustline atmosphere at anytime of day. I had been there several times both morning and night and had even caught a live band performing at one time.

The menu has a little twist of Brazilian mixed in (so does the wait staff! ;-)

Fun crowd.......you may even see a few familiar model faces frequent the place!

Enjoy New York City!