234 East 46th Street, New York City, New York, 10017, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com AMOMA.com

More about New York City

Elegant/romantic bar, Campbell ApartmentElegant/romantic bar, Campbell Apartment

rockefeller centerrockefeller center

more viewsmore views

to the plantto the plant

Dining Alone

by califtraveler

I'm spending 6 days in NYC in mid-March. I'm traveling alone and would like to have dinner a few nights in upscale restaurants but was wondering what the restaurants are like for single diners. What is the general attitude? Any suggestions for single diners? I'm staying in midtown. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

by 10028

New York is very friendly toward single diners. Gramercy Tavern is a wonderful upscale restaurant that's particularly good. I'd opt for the bar room, which doesn't take reservations.

For breakfast and lunch, one of my favorites is the Belgian chain, Le Pain Quotidien, which has locations all over Manhattan. They're known for wonderful fresh food and also for their communal table, perfect for singles.

by nicolaitan

in the unlikely event that you actually do encounter a problem in a restaurant you would really like to visit, ask if you can dine at the bar. You can be sure the bartender will have no problem at all.

by Agraichen

In 30 years of travel I've never had a problem dining alone in NYC's restaurants. I've eaten in some of the best alone but I've always made an advance reservation so they know the number in the part. I've also never had issues when the 1 turned into 2 or 4 as long as I called and notified them.

by SOLODANCER

Solo dining in NYC is as normal a scene as dining in pair or as a group...at any restaurant of all price range

And thoroughly normal a scene as solo dancing in NYC's clubs

So no need to feel uneasy, nervous or unhinged

Just pick a place, go in and say, 'for one please'

Have fun

by ForestqueenNYC

I have dined alone a number a times at Balthazar's without any problems. Although reservations are suggested, I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes without them. I have also eaten at the bar which I think it fabulous.

by Korki

my favourite place is Olive tree in the Village.
Located on 117 Macdougal St.
they have great middle-eastern-Mediterranean food and they always play Charlie Chaplin films on the screen. =)))

Travel Tips for New York City

Great city

by Gili_S

New York City is really a great city. As it is my expectations were high and they all fulfilled, I enjoyed my 5 days stay here and I wish I can return soon. Central Park, Grand Station at 42nd.st.
Times Square, Broadway.

Ethnic map - Dominican

by eclair_smiles

say you want some kinishes, or you want to go to an 'olive deli' or dance some bachata. it helps to know where to find these things.
I said in my intro that new york is very muticultural blah blah blah, and it is, but people tend to stick together, and form there own little communities too.
Here is a guide*
----
*disclaimer- I am not saying that these are strict rules. I'm not being prejudice, or discriminatory. just shut up and enjoy your kinishes and salsa dancing.
----
Dominican - There are a LOT of dominicans in New York City (for anyone who lives in a rock, The Dominican Republic is half of the island of HispaƱola in the carribean). The main, and most well known Dominican neighborhood is Washington Heights (about W 160 - W 185).
Some great dominican specialties are; bachata and merengue, two styles of latin dance music. Chicken, I don't know what they do to it but it's good. Platinos- fried with lechera is best. and tight jeans (they just seem to sell good tight jeans...) the main drag of Wasington heights is 181st and broadway. the best time to go is on the weekend, as there are alot of people out shopping and lots of steet vendors selling interesting things. summer is cool too as, the hydrants are usually going strong, and there is always music coming from somewhere. At night in the summer you can buy 'Chimichurri' sandwiches (like a 'torta' for anyone mexican out there) baisically a huge roll with lots of stuff on it. it will fill you for a whole week. They sell them in vans covered with neon lights.

most dominicans speak english, (hell, all the dominicans I know have been here way longer than me) but if you do want to do the spanish thang be warned, carribean spanish is very different to latin american spanish and spain spanish. For a sample tune in to 'la mega' radio on 97.9 fm.

+see the tip (which i will write :D) on El Malecon in the retuarant section. I lived in Washington heights for 2 years.
I used to love riding my bike in the summer, and going from fire hydrant to fire hydrant to stay cool.
I miss agua de coco (coconut water) and dulce de leche (very different from the argentine kind - more like a chewy caramel)

i will post fotos soon....

Beautiful

by terible22

I Love NEW YORK!!!! Growing Up Not Far From There, I Loved Visiting There!!:) 9-11 Was Horrible!!!! But We Can try To Get Passed That,,,,,,,, As HARD As That Is And Start ENJOYING N.Y., The Way We Ussed Too!!!!

NYC is a place where you can...

by daBertl

NYC is a place where you can basically do anything you want. I don't know what to tell you here, but keep your eyes wide open and you will see amazing things. You will find relicts from the past, from the days before dot.com, from the days before Rock'n Roll and from the days before motor vehicles. It's the little things that I most appreciate and love about the city. Things like former horse stables in the middle of Greenwich Village, marks and remainders of old buildings, closed up subways station like the former 18th street station on Park Avenue South that became unnecessary after the renovation and expansion of the 14th Street station in 1958. You will find such things everywhere if you keep your eyes open walking through the city. A cab ride is surely an adventure for a visitor, but you will not see a thing by doing so. Walk the city from Battery Park to Woodlawn, from Hells kitchen to Cambria Heights and from Whitestone to Rockaway Park. All right that might be a long walk, but I guess you ge What I miss the most when I am away from New York is the speed of the city. Even when you are chilling out you are busy in New York. Love it or hate it, I love it and that's good so.

Cultures

by Shakermaker

NY is really a mix of cultures, born and raised locals are hard to find. This fact has given the city a unique feeling and also a bast variety of restaurants where you can find food from all over the world so get ready to enjoy good food from all over.

Comments