3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

Good Quality Hotel, Very Friendly Service

The Affinia 50 is a good quality, hotel located down the street from the Kimberly and Benjamin Hotel. The hotel is reasonable, comfortable, good quality without extraordinary frills. It's probably due for a re-furbishing, but isn't that out of date. I stayed there one night during a business trip in a one room suite that I was upgraded to. I'd say the room was big, functional, with a Large living room and dining area, and a kitchen. It wasn't the crispest or brightest but it was clean and had all the amenities I needed. On the downside, the service at the front desk was a little bit slow, but friendly and gracious. The bellmen, helpful and cheerful and friendly. I saw other guests shaking hands, hugging the staff.

Unique Quality: All in all, I'd say the hotel is somewhat unremarkable, but it was a good deal, spacious, and very well located.

Directions: East Side 50th street between lex and 3rd.

• Excellent hotel

Our trip to NYC in september last year was sort of a last minute thing and we chose this hotel because of the good reviews we had read on the WWW :-)

Check in was smooth but as we arrived in our room, the smoke detector was giving a "low battery" alarm followed by an incredibly annoying high tone. So back to reception were they told us someone from maintenance would come up and take care of it. After about 20 minutes the man showed up and replaced the battery solving our "noise" problem. That's the only "negative" thing I can come up with though.

Positive: friendly staff, a room that was more than big enough for the three of us, very clean, great beds, TV, a nice size fridge, spotless shower / tub,...

What more could you ask for?

Conclusion: Very satisfied, we would definitely go back there again. Highly recommended !

Directions: Midtown

More about Affinia 50

Loved Affinia 50

My husband and I looked online for hotels in NY for days and we read countless reviews on this site to help us decide where to stay. Because it is Dec., everything we had read good things about was booked up. We didn't know that the Affinia 50 was once named the Plaza 50 so we couldn't find reviews for it at the time we were looking. Affinia 50 had 1 room left so we reluctanly booked a Guest room there. We were so worried about what kind of hotel stay experience we were in for. To our very pleasant surprise, the Affinia 50 was wonderful. We had the smallest room they have but it was still spacious, especially compared to other hotels in NY. The room was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more hospitable. We had great service and we loved every minute of our stay. We will definitely stay at the Affinia 50 again.

Affinia 50 was great!

by TripAdvisor Member MandiM

The Affinia 50 really took care of us. Go to their Web site to get the best deals (www.affinia.com and click on "Specials"). We did their "50 Ways to Woo Your Lover" with the rose petal turndown service (extra $20)...very romantic. Sicne we got in late, they had to upgrade us to the Junior Suite. Very NEW YORK...modern but still cozy! Plus the windows open...great to get some fresh air in a hotel now a days. They were in a GREAT location--only a block from the Waldorf Astoria and about a block and a half to two subway stations. I would defintely recommend it. And I would stay again in a heart beat. You can't beat the rate!

Now the Affinia 50

Overall I really liked this hotel. It has its pros and cons, mostly pros, which I will address first.

The Pros:

Great location - 1 short block to the No. 6 lexington avenue subway line, this will get you everywhere from the Metropolitan Museeum of Art to Grand Central to Soho. Also, great neighborhood for convenient and good restaurants. We had really amazing Indian food at Jaipur on 2nd Ave. between 53rd and 54th Street. I am a huge fan of Indian food and very picky. Everything was excellent, especially the Chicken Tikka Masala.

The price and the room - I don't know how much the prices fluctuate at this hotel but we got a great deal. $239 a night during peak season in Mid-October (we stayed 10/16-10/20 of 2004). This was for a one bedroom suite with kitchen that is larger than the Manhattan apartment I used to live in!

The Club Room - they have a new common area club room on the 2nd floor. It offers complimentary bottled water, coffee and tea throughout the day and has several seating areas with big screen tv, fireplace, etc.. Mon - Thurs from 6pm to 7pm they have complimentary wine and cheese.

The Cons:

The hotel is not terribly upscale - the lobby is small and the staff while friendly is not very polished. However, it is very clean and all of the rooms were recently renovated as part of the re-opening of the Affinia 50. The renovation/redecoration while nice is on the cheap side ( the upholstery on the new couch had already started to tear - the carpet had stains).

Overall if you can get this deal at this hotel do it. It's excellent, especially if you are traveling with children.

New York Surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member Vgbnd

My recent stay at the Affinia 50 was such a pleasant surprise, I feel compelled to write this review. There were many great things about the Affinia 50 that made my stay there special, and make it an excellent hotel:

o Doorman - The gentleman there during the weeknights always had a smile on his face, recognized me, and made sure I didn't walk in the wrong direction. Best doorman I've ever met in New York, this after thirty years of frequent flyer traveling. He wears a distinctive grey derby.

o Spaciousness - Unlike the typical NY city hotel, the rooms here are generously sized. It felt like the living room of a comfortable New York co-op.

o Decor - Comfortable furnishings, the best bed and bedding I've ever had in a hotel. Most hotels have sterile lighting and fixtures. The Affinia 50 has modern variable intensity lighting on many fixtures, and they have been generous in wattage. The bathroom was very clean, well-equipped, and spacious.

o Kitchen - When booking, I did not really realize that my unit would have a full-service kitchen, with refrigerator, microwave, stove-top and dishwasher! Comes equipped with table settings.

o Location - Close to subways, and some great restaurants. If you like Italian cuisine, try nearby Giambelli's. They're still serving dishes where you can taste that $41,000 Italian white truffle they had won in a charity auction.

o Staff - All in all, the best staff I've ever met in a New York hotel. From the maid to the front desk, always a kind word and a way of making you feel special! Never stuffy, just plain friendly and responsive. From check-in to check-out, it was amazingly consistent.

Even the best hotel room in the world is just a room, but it's the way they treat you at the Affinia 50 that make it a great hotel.

Great Location, Huge Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member AndrewCA

I stayed at the Affinia 50 on two seperate occassions during Dec 2004.
Great location. The staff are extremely helpful and courteous. The first time I stayed I was given a studio room on the 3rd floor, which was clean, modern and nice however it was slightly noisy. Checked in again a couple of days later and was given a 1Bd Suite on the 9th floor. What a surprize this room was HUGE !!!
Definately reccommend this hotel, but ask to be put on a high floor, the lower rooms are noisy.

This Hotel Is Awesome!!!!!

My husband and I spent several days at the Affina 50 in Dec '04. It takes alot to impress me--and I was!! This hotel is spotless, the staff, all of them, went above and beyond to assure our every need was met. The rooms are huge--we had a junior suite, which was more room than we needed but after a full day of walking etc it was great to relax and have some personal space to boot! The beds were a dream to sleep on, the windows opened, the bathrooms are huge and the kitchen was a great room to have complete with coffee etc. The sofa and chairs were comfortable and I could find not one spec of dirt anywhere!! The linen was spotless. The price was very reasonable--and when we arrived the room was just as we had reserved--no surprises.
My son had booked us a room at the Metropolitin, but after I read the reviews I was too concerned so changed ours to the Affinia 50. I was so happy I did as they had one disappointment after another at their hotel.
We were just around the corner from them so it worked out great. I can't count how many times the kids said to us that they wished they had booked at the Affinia 50--but they just thought the "Trip Advisor" site was a bunch of people that had nothing better to do and would complain about just anything. Well--they are believers now!!
We are from WA State and really wanted our trip to be special--and it was!! Thanks in large part to our wonderful time at the Affinia 50.

Very Pleased- Great New Decor

by TripAdvisor Member Bones57

The hotel has undergone a facelift iand the rooms are magnificent. The new affinia bed is great and the rooms have great art deco furnitiure. The staff was wonderful and I would highly recommend this hotel anyone. One small item missing - tea bags - other than that. this is an excellent place to stay.

My New Favorite in NYC

This weekend was my second stay at the Plaza Fifty and it was EVEN better than my first. I figured that 2 great experiences in a row deserved a positive review. The first time I stayed there in April 2004, my boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised by the large sized guest room we were given, which included a kitchenette area. We even had a great view from our windows of 3rd avenue. This is compared to other hotels that we have stayed in like Hotel 41, which is about the size of a closet and has a view of a wall. The icing on the cake was that we got the room at a special rate of about $140, a great deal for NY. The only complaint I had at the time was that the carpeting was a bright royal blue color. Other than that, the room was clean and the furniture was fine.

This past Saturday night, my friend and I spent the night in the city and got a hotel room so that we didn't have to worry about catching the train home. Luckily, there were still rooms available at the Plaza Fifty, even though I called only a few days in advance. FYI, make sure you call the hotel since their online reservation system isn't always accurate. I ending up reserving our room through Travelocity since the rate was cheaper ($179).

The best part came that night when we checked in. The awesome guy at the front desk (Sid? I think...) asked if it was our first time there and then asked who's birthday it was. My friend replied that it was her birthday about a month ago, and he went ahead and upgraded us to a junior suite! Apparently, the hotel is soon to be an executive club type hotel and was renovated in preparation. I knew the room would be big, but didn't know how amazing it would be...just renovated, all new furniture, a full-size kitchen with a table, the most comfortable hotel beds with down bedding, a balcony with a view, etc! It even smelled like a new room! We seriously could've lived there. Sid even called when we got upstairs to see what we thought of the room. Unfortunately, he wasn't working anymore by the time we were making our way out to the bars so we couldn't thank him again in person. But I hope that whoever is reading this will pass on the message to him and give him the credit that he deserves.

All in all, I LOVE this hotel and am glad that I don't have to do anymore hotel researching for my trips to NY. I'm hoping that nothing about the hotel changes (I'm even willing to pay more if I know I'll enjoy my stay...) The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is great (right near 2nd avenue bars/restaurants and only a few minute walk to 5th ave). It's definitely my favorite New York hotel!

Accomodation for family of 8 in NY

by Radion

Hi my family and I are going to NY for the Easter break and are looking for accomodation around 45 to 50th Street. Does anyone know of any apartments that can be rented that can sleep 8 or maybe 2 apts that sleep 4 each.
Many Thanks!

RE: Accomodation for family of 8 in NY

by 10028

The Affinia Group has several apartments. The Affinia 50 is on 50th at 3rd Ave. Highly regarded. On the same block is the Kimberly and the San Carlos. I believe they've got suites with kitchens as well. Be sure to read the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Comments