3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

150 East 34th Street, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

My husband and I had a 5 night trip to New York at the start of March 2009. We paid the trip in full before we left and on our arrival at the hotel, had to hand over our credit card for security. On hecking out, the hotel tried to take $1200 from our card for our stay be we advised that we had already paid, showing them the booking confirmation letter, and they refunded us the money.

It transpires that our travel agent had used a supplier called Welcome USA to book the hotel. Welcome USA got into financial difficulties and didn't pay the hotel. I contacted the travel agent who advised that what should have happened is that the hotel should have contacted them before we arrived and they would have sorted the situation out. However the hotel chose not tell the travel agent, but instead, waited until we had arrived and when we handed over our credit card, made a pre-authorised transaction.

As a precaution, I cancelled our credit card. We contacted the hotel and advised them that we would not be paying them anything. Unfortunately, because they had a pre-authorised transaction, they took the money from us anyway, £784. The travel agent spoke to them and they said that their stance would be that they had told us of this when we arrived which is simply not true. At the end of the day, they have carried out an unauthorised transaction on our credit card and are refusing to refund us. We phoned them and the manager called Guadelupe told us that she had e-mailed us and told us that they would be taking the money, this is a blatant lie.

So, unless you want to be completely conned, do not go near this hotel. We will go back to New York at some point, but will not set foot in the Affinia Dumont Hotel ever again and we hope you won't either.

• Simply the Best

Booked through Priceline for a visit to New York to see the Macy's Parade. The hotel was spotless, the suite immense by NY standards. We plan on staying at the Dumont again next summer for an extended stay. You would be hard pressed to find better accomodations in midtown NY. We paid $235 per night for a two adults and to children.

Unique Quality: Huge one bedroom suites are impressive.

• Midtown's best hotel

Stayed at the Affina Dumont for 6 nights. Great location, really, really comfortable beds, nice kitchen, with microwave, dishwasher, refrigerater, stove, coffeemaker, utensils, dishes, and pans. Very clean. Anytime I called the desk for anything it was taken care of right away. I felt comfortable and totally safe there. It is located in the Murray Hill section and away from noisey Times Square. We had a great view of the Chysler Building. There is also the Murray Hill Market on the corner that has a great deli. We would buy omlettes and pancakes to eat in our room for breakfast each morning.

Directions: Murray Hill

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Affordable Suites on 7th Avenue

Let me get one thing out of the way - Affinia Manhattan is not about luxury. Rather, it caters more to business travellers who need to stay over extended period in Manhattan.
    However, I like it since having a full kitchen means I can save hundreds of dollars in a week from not having to eat out 3 times a day. There's a whole foods about 10 blocks South in Chelsea.

It is located on 7th Ave & 30th, accross the street from Madison Square Garden, which means you have easy access to the subway and you can walk to Times Square.

The amenities are good and the rooms are spacious. Overall it offers very good value for your money. The cheapest type of room (studio) is about 350sqft and comes with a full kitchen (with stove, oven and microwave).

The only downside about this hotel is you might not want to stay here during the middle of summer - the rooms have the old-school window air conditioner units that make a lot of noise.

Unique Quality: The best feature about this hotel is its central location in mid-town Manhattan

Directions: Accross the street from Madison Square Garden

• Perfect

Trip advisor had tons of great reviews on this, and they turned out to be accurate. Wonderful place - stylish/elegant rooms that you just don't get in chain hotels, great and accomodating staff, super location (34th and Lex) in a great neighborhood (Murray Hill) - and we got it at a great price ($270/night) to boot!

Unique Quality: Loved the furnishings, great southeast corner room on 28th floor with views of East River and (with a strain) UN.

For the first time ever, I had prepaid for a trip through Amex. I saved about $35/night, then lost a night when JetBlue cancelled our inbound flight. I called Dumont to inform them I'd be a day late, but didn't even ask about getting refund for first night since I knew the terms of the pre-pay were "no refunds." That said, would you believe they took that night off my bill when I checked out? What? Huh? That NEVER happens, man. And we (me+wife+2 kids) had a great time there and loved the place even before we got that nice little surprise at check out!

Directions: Murray Hill, 34th and Lexington

More about Affinia Dumont

wow!

I stayed at the Affinia Dumont for 3 nights in June, 04. The stay was nothing less than spectacular! We stayed in a junior suite with 2 queen size beds. The staff was extremely friendly helping us with theatre reservations and to book other activities. Although a bit pricy, it was well worth it. Plenty of space! Large bathrooms, kitchen, and the beds were very comfortable. I will definetly stay there again!

A pleasant surprise

We moved to the Affinia Dumont after a bad experience at another hotel. From the moment we were greeted by the doorman, we knew that we had picked a great hotel. Wonderful staff, quiet, spacious rooms and very comfortable bed. They have a very nice spa as well. Not the most convenient location - especially when you need to get a taxi, but otherwise a nice, quiet neighborhood. With the caveat of location, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Believe the reviews

Just got back from a weekend in the City and chose the Affinia Dumont based in part on what we read on tripavisor - some may wonder whether a friendly hotel staff makes a difference - all i can say is stay at Parker Meridian and ask for some help and then stay at Affinia and note the difference - i have - the hotel is quiet and understated with larger than average rooms and yes, an amazing staff - The neighborhood location is perfect for anyone looking to find a nice restaurant of deli that actually services locals as much as they do tourists -

Great suite with a view

After countless hours searching for a good hotel deal for our first trip to New York, and based on reviews here, we choose the Affinia Dumont. Boy, are we glad we did. We booked our trip Wednesday and arrived Sunday for four days. The people at the front desk were all friendly and helpful, holding our bags until there was a room ready (we were early). We had a large suite with kitchenette, large living room, bedroom and bath on the 36th floor overlooking the East River. There were great restaurants and the subway nearby. 34th is a two-way street which made us feel safer walking at night. We did not see the inside of any of the other hotels we were considering but we did see the outside of quite a few. Some were on small dark streets and did not look very appealing. Our room was $370 a night and after comparing prices and size we would stay at the Dumont again in a flash. Great Job done by everyone there!!!

by allymarie

Has anyone stayed there, or do you know anything about it? I've checked some reviews and it seems ok. The price was better than anything around so it has me worried.

RE: Affinia Dumont

by penpoison

the hotel is fine. it just is a little east of some of the sites but otherwise it is a decent hotel. the rooms are larger than a lot of the hotels in the same price range. some rooms come with efficiencies.

RE: RE: Affinia Dumont

by 10028

I think you've hit the jackpot! Consider yourself lucky that you got a good rate, this is one of the best reviewed hotels in the city. The best thing is that you've got a kitchen, so you don't have to eat every meal out. Plus, with the enormous portions served at most restaurants, you can collect doggy bags and enjoy leftovers.

Here's a link to tripadvisor's reviews of the Affinia Dumont. You should browse the Candid Traveler Photos too. I would suggest you contact the hotel and see if you can reserve a specific room or view. One of the reviewers posted an incredible scene of the Chrysler Building from Rm. 2905, I wouldn't mind that view at all!

The location is very central. 34th St. is a main east-west ("crosstown") street, with buses that will take you west to the Herald Square shopping area (Macy's, etc.). You're a few minutes' walk to Grand Central Terminal, at 42nd St. and Park Ave. It's also easy for you to zip down to Union Square on the #6 Downtown line, which is a block from your hotel.

Congratulations, and have a great trip!

RE: RE: Affinia Dumont

by travelmad478

I haven't stayed at the Dumont, but I have stayed at the Affinia 50 (same management company) and I really, really like it. The Affinia 50 doesn't have a restaurant, which means that it gets classified as a 3-star, but the rooms are as good or better than most hotels in the 4-star category--newly furnished, large, and comfortable. These hotels are often cheaper than others because of that 3-star curse, but believe me, they are much nicer than their rating would imply.

I stay at a LOT of 4/5-star hotels in midtown Manhattan for my job, so you can take my word on this. If you got a good rate, grab it, because the city's hotels have gotten so expensive that I can barely bring myself to stay there anymore...and I'm not even the one paying!

Comments