3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

215 East 64th Street, formerly Lyden Gardens, New York City, New York, 10065, United States

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Name Change: Affinia Gardens

UPDATE: AUGUST 2008 NAME CHANGE TO AFFINIA GARDENS

Affinia Gardens | 215 East 64th Street, New York, NY 10021 | Tel: 212.355.1230 | Fax: 212.758.7858

Worldwide Reservations and Service Center

Toll Free: 1.866.246.2203 (US and Canada) Telephone: 212.320.8050 (outside the US)

Before moving to New York, I stayed at Lyden Gardens on E. 64th Street several times. Now my sister and her husband stay there when they come in from California. It is not a boutique hotel by any means. It is simply a very nice apartment style hotel. It's a place where you can pretend, for a few days, that you live in Manhattan.
    All of the rooms have kitchens. The junior suite is like a studio apartment and it can accomodate three people. The one bedroom has a little living room and a dining area and is big enough for four. The two bedroom can handle six.

The rooms are very clean and nicely furnished. The location is great, within walking distance to Central Park, Bloomingdales, Fifth and Madison Avenues and a number of good restaurants, shops, and art galleries.
    If you are traveling with your pet, check the website for the services that are offered for your animal.

Directions: On the Upper East Side near Third Avenue. Within walking distance of Bloomingdale's, Central Park, and museums.

More about Affinia Gardens

Affinia Gardens rocked

We just spent 5 days and 4 nights in NYC. We stayed at the Affinia Gardens hotel and I was very impressed with the staff and the hotel. The 5 day stay at Affinia Gardens went beyond my expectations of a hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would definetly stay at this hotel again and recommend it to my friends and family. The hotel used to be an apartment building - the room we stayed in had a full kitchen and enough room to sleep 4 or so people. It also had a separate bedroom with two very comfortable queen size beds with down comforters and a living room. The rooms were very very very clean and very comfortable. The location of the hotel was very accomdating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who was coming to NYC. The one thing that really stands out in our stay at this hotel is we got home rather late on Sunday and wanted to purchase a bottle of wine. We asked the front desk if they knew of a place that was open that would sell wine. They said everything was closed; however the person behind the desk had a bottle that she purchased eariler in the evening and they gave it to us for free. The staff was very friendly and it made the stay very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who was coming to NYC.

The best hotel in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member simmyandernie

We just got back from a fabulous stay in NYC in THE best hotel we've ever had the good fortune to find-The Affinia Gardens. Not only is the location wonderful (E. 64th & 3rd Ave.-4 blocks from Central Park) but the rooms were ENORMOUS! The staff was the friendliest we've ever encountered. I hesitate to let anyone else know about this incredible find for fear of it being booked the next time we go. There's no reason to stay any place else!

Calm, clean, great service

by TripAdvisor Member melik

I cannot say enough good things about the Affinia Gardens. The client is king, the beds are so comfortable, the room was enormous, the amenities (bath products, little kits) are wonderful, the staff truly makes you feel at home, and best of all : silent, silent nights. I was there with my husband for a 5 night stay. It is a great location. Central park is just a stone's throw away. But, really, the staff is what makes this hotel special. You can tell that clients are happy and that everyone is there to make your stay as nice as possible. We will stay there again. Oh, and the price!! Wow! Great value.

A great find

Thanks to the reviews on this site, I had a pleasant 4-night stay at the Affinia Gardens. The room was large, clean and overall seemed brand new. The only giveway that it was not new were the random stains on the carpet, but its hard to critisize because all of the other elements were well above average. The kitchen is equipped with enough basics to be useful. The bathroom was large, well lit and pristinely clean. I have never seen a bathroom with such ample storage space, a nice plus. Like other reviewers, I too have stayed in other nice NYC hotels like the W, Paramount, etc. in rooms that were plush but way too small and cramped. The Affinia Garden's rooms are not only huge by NYC standards, they are huge for a hotel room, period. A great find in a great location, a good healthy walk to midtown or Central Park, yet quiet enough to sleep soundly at night. Highly recommend.

Tranquility Achieved!

by TripAdvisor Member t0mf00lery

Enjoyed our stay at Affinia Gardens. Location is great-proximity to the park, Madison Ave shops & great restaurants.

The hotel- Large rooms, friendly staff, affordable.
The whole tranquility (in the city)theme has been achieved. From the cucumber water upon arrival, the tea bar, nature sounds in the room, aveda bath products, to the complimentary tranquility kits you can use during your stay (choice between 3 types) it was pampering all around, especially after a long day with lots of walking.

Area restaurants- I would reccomend JoJo, which is very close- the west side of Third on 64th. Central Park Boat House was great for all our breakfasts after a walk in the park.

Shopping- Bloomingdale's is only a short stroll away, along with all of the great shops on Madison Ave. from 59th to the 80's.

Can't wait to go back.

Huge Rooms in the Big Apple

by TripAdvisor Member stropertre

I stayed at the Affinia Gardens June 20-22 with my wife and son. We loved it. The room was huge and immaculate. We had the smallest room category in the hotel, and it was gigantic by New York standards. We had 2 queen beds and more closet space than we could possibly use. The bathroom was not huge, but there was a small alcove with a mirror and shelf which gave ample room to spread out. I stayed at the Affinia 50 just after its renovation. I disagree with the earlier reviewer: the renovation of the Affinia Gardens is every bit as nice as the Affinia 50. Housekeeping was excellent. The housekeeper found a spot on the carpet and called in to have it cleaned without our having to call it to her attention.

The hotel was also very quiet. It is across the street from the Manhattan Eye Hospital, but the hospital has no emergency room, so you did not have to worry about ambulance sirens. Our room was next to the elevator. However, we were not at all disturbed by it (the design is intelligent; the elevator is closest to the bathroom, not the beds).

Our room was not ready until 2:00 p.m., so we had to check our bags. However, the bellman, Sal was extremely accommodating. He let us retrieve items from our bags and check extra items so we could sightsee comfortably. In response to another review, I am not sure why anyone would wait several hours to check in with Manhattan just outside the door.

Because we were there on a Tuesday night, we were invited to a wine and cheese reception. The wine was inexpensive, but quite good (you don't expect gran vins at these events). The cheese offered was above average for this kind of event. What stood out in my mind was that the manager made an effort to introduce himself. He also served the wine. He actually was interested in meeting us and seeing the guests mingle. I have never had such a warm reception at one of these receptions.

We liked the location at 64th St. and 3rd Avenue. There was a Food Emporium at the corner which was great for snacks and drinks to store in the full size refrigerator. It also had a deli; we got sandwiches one day when we needed something on the run. I liked being a little bit out of the bustle of midtown. Dylan's Candy Bar was a block away, a big hit with my son.

The downsides were minor. The exercise room is modest. I would avoid rooms on the first floor. Two rooms are directly across from the exercise room and 4 steps down from the lobby. The Lexington Avenue subway line is several blocks away, but the weather was nice so we walked or took a cab. I might have felt differently if it was February and I had to take the subway.

I paid an average of $265 per night through Quikbook (before adding those outrageous NYC taxes), which I thought was a very good value. I think this place is far preferable to places like the Paramount which offer style, but shoebox sized rooms. We would definitely return.

Still Great, of Course, But Not the Best Affinia

by TripAdvisor Member Socrateslunchbox

I've been coming to New York during this time in March each year for the past 5 years for the Big East basketball tournament. Three years ago a stumbled upon the Affinia Dumont thanks the Trip Advisor and have faithfully gone to Affinia properties in NYC ever since.

This year I stayed in the two bedroom suite with 5+ guys. The suite was spacious, well appointed, clean and all of these adult males fit easily into the room with plenty of space to spare. The hotel has a 'tranquility' theme, accented with an excellent tea bar in the lobby. It's a nice touch after arduous travel.

However, this Affinia property is simply not the equal of the Affinia Dumont or the Affinia 50, in my opinion. It hasn't been re-done or appointed in quite the level of style as the others, though similar. The area of town is also a little more sterile, being the Upper East Side and all.

Lastly, for the first time, I was disappointed in an Affinia property's service. Though I arrived prior to the 3 o'clock check-in time, my room wasn't ready and wasn't ready until after 3. Also, the staff didn't seem to be in any rush to make it up, though I sat in the lobby, patiently sipping at the tea bar for a few HOURS. Moreover, they regarded the presence of multiple young men (we're all well paid young professionals in our late 20's and early 30's) as somewhat of a nuisance and a potential hazard to the 'tranquility' of the hotel. I was disappointed that I was treated with such little respect after always enjoying fantastic service at Affinias.

Still, if you're a couple or a family, I'm sure they'll be as accomodating as always. Still excellent for NYC by any standard and still recommended. Though, next time, I'll probably go for the Affinia Dumont or Affinia 50.

Oasis on the East Side

by TripAdvisor Member lbillies

We could only stay here one night of our 2 night NYC visit but I could have stayed for a week. The room was huge and had a spa-like feeling. Great kitchen with everything we needed to serve our Chinese delivery food. They have menus for the local places and deliver to your room for a $2.00 service fee.

Hard to find a good resonably priced place on the East side and this was perfect.

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Advisor20

We have stayed in New York a number of times and would say that this has been the most comfortable hotel to date. Their focus is on tranquility and they certainly achieve this as much as can be expected in a busy place like NYC. The responsiveness and courtesy of all staff was outstanding and the rooms were big, modern and well appointed. The bathroom although not large was luxurious with high quality toiletries and an excellent shower. Just a few blocks from Central Park, the location of the hotel is great for exploring the park and the upper east side; yet only a few dollars in a cab(c. $5-7) to get to Times Square. Will will certainly consider staying here again in the future.

Restaurants & Places of Interest

by KMJSKINS

My sister,huband and their one year old are visiting NYC from Spain on Sunday, November 1st. My wife and I are coming up from Philly to spend a few hours with them.
They are staying at the Affinia Gardens hotel on E. 64th st. Can anyone recommend any restaurants and other places of interest? Are there any tapas restaurants around?
We all have been to the city before and want to stay away from any tourist traps.
Thanks

Re: Restaurants & Places of Interest

by 10028

Lucky you! Sunday is the NYC Marathon. You should try and watch at least part of the race. I like to go over to First Ave. after the elite runners have come and gone, it means more to cheer on the late groups.

Re: Restaurants & Places of Interest

by KMJSKINS

Thanks, I had no idea that the NYC marathon was this week. Maybe we will have a chance to see some of the runners.

Comments