Affinia Manhattan

371 Seventh Ave, (formerly Southgate Tower), New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• mingomatic's Profile Photo

Great Value

This hotel is located one block from Penn Station and it's much nicer than the Pennsylvania. It's also decently priced and although it's an older building, it's fairly modern looking inside. I got upgraded to a suite and that was really nice. They do charge for wifi so be careful of that. Free cocktail hour when I went so if you like wine and champagne, I think it's some time in the early evening. Free wifi and use of Mac computers in the lobby. Nice emenities.

• Beware of bedbugs...

My wife decided it would be nice to stay in Manhattan while my sister-in-law and her family visited from CA. This is in spite of the fact that we only live an hour and twenty minutes from NYC. And this was the worst mistake of our lives. The room we stayed in was infested with bedbugs. In spite of taking precautions when we got home, we managed to bring bedbugs home with us. We are now paying an exterminator thousands of dollars to try to get rid of them, but even this is not guaranteed. Our house is very old and porous, many places for bedbugs to hide and they are totally poison resistant. We have been living a real life horror movie.

The hotel did issue us a refund, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the subsequent infestation has ruined our lives.

• clareabee's Profile Photo

hotel in a great location

We stayed at the Affinia Manhattan for 5 nights. We did have to change rooms 3 times before I got one I was happy with but hotel staff were happy to do this. In the end we got a great room on the corner overlooking Madisson square gardens and right up 7th Ave to the lights of times square.
    Concierge were excellent - very helpful - Maureen and Ashley were great
    Niles bar - excellent staff and excellent cocktails what more could a girl want!
    Niles restaurant - excellent food and service (although not keen on trend of taking one persons plate when they had finished before other diner was done - seemed to happen in lots of restaurants).
    Make sure you ask for a room with a tub/bath as they tend to be a little bigger.
    Rooms also had small kitchenette which although we didn't use would be very handy for those with kids and could save you quite a bit.
    Would recommend this hotel - great location you could walk to lots of sights from.

Unique Quality: great city views from the front of the hotel and amazing lobby area.

Directions: opposite Madisson Square gardens 2 blocks from Macys.

• boblynn1649's Profile Photo

Great Location - Easy Access for EWR and Amtrak

We stayed at the Affinia Manhatten hotel because of the location and with the idea of having a kitchen to save on meal costs. The location was great. We arrived at EWR at about 5pm. It was so easy to just take the train to Penn station and walk across the street to our hotel. When we left NYC via Amtrak, again, it was just a walk across the street.
    Having a kitchen turned out to be not all that important as we were not in our room much. We would pack up for the the day and ate as we travelled throughout the city. The hotel itself was great. Very comfortable, clean and wonderful service. The only thing we didn't like was the high cost of internet service. It seemed like alot to pay to just check our email. We just went downstairs to Dunkin Donuts, ordered a coffee and used their free connections. There were quite a few others doing the same thing.

Unique Quality: We booked online about three months before our trip and found pricing at 35% off. I think we got a great deal (for NYC prices) at an average of $160. per night. Weekends are less than weekdays.

Directions: Across the street from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. Walking distance to many of the tourist sites, theater district, and Times Square

• penpoison's Profile Photo

Great Suite Hotel in NYC

When I first looked for a hotel room for my family, I looked at a lot of hotel rooms. I have to admit that a lot of them are pretty small. This was the best hotel value for the money.

The hotel rooms were bigger than some NYC apartments. Some people actually live there on a monthly basis. The suite I stayed in was comfortable enough for 4 people to sleep in and way bigger than hotels that were going for the same price. Best value for the money.

Unique Quality: Suite hotel with efficiency. Security is tighter at night. Close to Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Macy's and Little Korea (32nd Street) for korean food.

Accessible to public transportation and in busy area at night. Higher floors will yield better views.

• John_Hale's Profile Photo

Midtown's Best Stay

The Southgate Tower Hotel is a renovated 1929 facility located just outside the east entrance of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station. The hotel specializes in 1-room (studio suite) & 2-room (1-bedroom suite) accomodations that all include a kitchen. The rooms are spacious, & include a couch, dining table, TV w/Internet access, & 2 closets. The only tight quarters are the clean, remodelled, but 1920s-sized bathrooms. The rooms, hotel lobby, & facilities are well kept & clean. Staff are friendly & helpful; i.e., our maid cleaned up our coffee maker after we had left coffee in it one day.

Unique Quality: Any rooms on the higher floors of this 28-story hotel facing the Empire State & Chrysler buildings have a good view, being just a few blocks away. However, a window in the stairwell on the 28th floor affords any guest a tremendous view of both these classics.

Our price for a studio suite ($119/night plus taxes) through an online travel service was outstanding for the Manhattan location and the quality of the room.

Directions: At southeast corner of 31st Street and Seventh Avenue, just outside Madison Square Garden and Penn Station.

More about Affinia Manhattan

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member moultonman

We stopped December 9 - 14. After reading many Trip Advisor reviews I decided that The Southgate Towers had consistently above average to good reviews. We were not disapointed. Location is excellent giving easy access by foot or subway to most of the must see or do attractions. On arrival check in was quick and easy. Our room was on the 17th floor and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Two king beds, kitchen, lounge area. Bathroom a little small but quite adequate. Only downside to the room was traffic noise at night and windows slightly draughty. Neither was enough to bother us much.
Staff were polite and friendly.Check out was again quickly dealt with.
Did not use Niles bar.We would definitely stay here again if we return to New York.

Wonderful Place Great Price

I recently stayed December 19-23. The hotel was wonderful and Beautifully decorated for christmas. The staff was very helpful and the concierge service was a life saver..thanks again for the tickets to the knicks game. The hotel room was spacious and very clean on the 27th floor. The view of the empire state was emmaculate. I would definitely stay again. A few blocks from Times Square and right next to the Furers...Oh ladies its also a prime area to get those designer bags at not so designer prices. All in all Southgate Tower Suite is a wonderful place to stay. I also want to add that I booked through the hotel site it itself...my reservation was guranteed and i didnt have to pay upfront for my room stay...the hotel also has promotional specials so check them out before you book at a "discounted" site you may come out cheaper...I know I did.

Delivers the Goods

My wife and I stayed in a one bedroom suite for 3 nights over Christmas weekend. We got the room through 'Quikbook' for 160$ a night. This had to be one of the better deals for a suite in New York for that price and for the quality of the accomodations: large,spacious, living room with very comfortable couch, chairs, and a well designed eating area.
The kitchen is a separate room which we found more agreeable. The bedroom was small but the bed itself was extremely comfortable and the lighting in the bedroom was well designed. Bathroom was small but functional, the toilet was pressurized and the water pressure in the shower was impressive. Highly recommended.

Will not stay there again!

I booked a two night stay in a one bedroom suite for $159 a night through their website (after their reservations group tried to sell me the same room over the phone for $199). I chose the Southgate based primarily on the reviews found below.

At check in we were told that the rooms on the upper floors were all smoking rooms and that the hotel was almost full, so we were placed on the 20th floor with no view at all. The room itself was odd: VERY small bathroom and bedroom (as in space for only one person at a time) with a ton of empty space in the "living" room. The room itself was old, the carpets worn, and the furniture was from another era. To turn the heat up or down you had to find a nob on the radiator with a dial that read from 1 to 5.

Our major complaint was the noise level. I now understand what is meant by the "city that never sleeps". We could hear everything, including wether other guests were taking a shower or a bath. A motor above us would run from time to time, and the windows were so old that we could hear street noise from 20 floors up.

I would have rated this hotel lower had it not been for the sympathtic gentleman at check out, although is was frustrating to hear that we could have had a better room when at check in we were told that they were almost full and that this was the best we could get. Stay here if you are a heavy sleeper.

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member ilurrveenewyork

We stayed at the southgate tower suite for 4 nights just before Christmas. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - the guy on reception went out of his way to find us a great room and we were not disappointed with the fantastic views of the Empire State Building from our windows.What an amazing sight to wake up to. The lobby was decorated beautifully for Christmas, although once you stepped out the lift on your floor it was a little drab as was the room!Saying that, the room was more than adequate for a tourists needs- 2 bathrooms between 4 of us and 2 large comfy beds, it was a little noisey but no more than you'd expect from the city that never sleeps! the hotel was in a great location, walking distance to almost everywhere you'd want to go, Empire State just minutes away, opposite Maddison Square Garden, 2 blocks from Macey's - what more could you want?! I'd have no qualms returning to the Southgate tower when I hopefully return to New York for another visit.

by eriru

were a family of five and made a reservation at the Affinia Manhattan, a suite, any comments on this hotel, going there on june 16 for 9 days, first time with the family in NYC.

by 10028

All the Affinia's hotels get great reviews. Here's a link to the tripadvisor.com page where you can see for yourself. I'd recommend that you browse through the Candid Traveler Photos to get an idea of what to expect. And then, phone the hotel directly and see if there are any rooms available that have a particular view you like.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the Penn Station/Madison Square Garden area because it's too commercial. That means a lot of fast-food options and a bit on the gritty side. I much prefer the residential neighborhoods, where you can walk around at all hours exploring the shops, local restaurants and cafes. But it's also easy enough to get around on public transit, and you're very well situated for that.

Enjoy your trip!

by eriru

thank you, which hotel would you recomend,where as a family of 5 we could stay for aprox the same price?

by 10028

I'm no expert on hotels. Because I live here, I never get to see the guest rooms. I'd recommend you use the search function on tripadvisor.com's NYC forum page, because there have been previous message threads about families looking for accommodations. Of the Affinia group, going just by location, I like the Affinia Dumont and the Affinia 50. I really like the location of the Salisbury, which is a budget hotel in midtown, two blocks from Central Park. The furnishings are a bit dated, but it's clean and the rooms are big by NYC standards.

When you're reading the reviews on tripadvisor, always browse through the Candid Traveler Photos. You can really tell a lot from them.

by mad4travel

I've stayed at the Affinia 50 and it was excellent. Very spacious rooms with small kitchenettes, ideal for families. Locations are very central and the standards are very high for the price.

by eriru

checked the Affinia Gardens, and seems more modern and quieter neighborhood, any one have a promotion code for the Afinnia Hotels?

thanks a lot

by Sideburn77

Hi!

Is the hotel located somewhere near Maddison Sq Garden, around 33rd/ 34th and 7 Avenue?

I ask because we stayed at a brilliant suite hotel in the affinia group which I know was about to change names a couple of years ago and if it is this one, it was excellent. Big rooms, great staff etc and it was perfectly located literally in the middle of Manhattan next to a subway station so everything is within easy reach.

Hope you enjoy!