303 Lexington Avenue, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• searcey's Profile Photo

New York Hotel

Shelburne is now Affina Shelburne and I stayed there this summer. The rooms are large with lots of nice amenities. The bathroom is also large and well appointed. One of the best things besides the location was great air-conditioner. We were there during a heat wave and the a/c was a great bonus. The staff was very accomodating and personable. I highly recommend this hotel

Unique Quality: They have a great roof top bar and restaurant with views of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

Directions: Murray Hill area

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

huge rooms in NY

We were WOW by the size of this room (remember we were in NY, where all the hotels are either tiny or extremely expensive) We were on the 16th floor and we could even see the empire States building from our room! It was beautiful

Nice entrance, nice room, very clean, great location, very comfortable, OK gym, we LOVED IT!

The bar downstairs claims to have the best burgers in town (gosh, they were SO good!)

An overall great experience.

Unique Quality: huge room

• anders1975's Profile Photo

Big rooms with microwave

This hotel is in the residential area of midtown on Lexington Ave. A few blocks away from Grand Central Station , Empire State Building and restaurant on the 3rd.
    We enjoyed staying here very much because it was quiet and the rooms were excellent for our use (sleeping and bath facilities).
    I guess some rooms might be a bit worn out, but as long as you're not looking for luxury this is a very good tourist hotel with lots of facilities (lively bar, sauna etc).
    We got a good deal at $117 + tax booking through www.1800nyhotels.com

Unique Quality: Great views from rooftop terrace.

Directions: Midtown. 37th street.

• Radiomom's Profile Photo

Another Affinia classic watch for deals!

This was the second time we snagged a great deal at an affinia.com suite hotel. $119 per night? You really can't beat that. Very comfy room, with nice tile bath and great bath products. There's a small kitchen at the entrance, but we didn't need use it as we were only there one night. Travelzoo's weekly top 20 deals often clue you into Affinia's special deals in NYC and they are always a great bargain. Valet parking :-)

Unique Quality: There's a terrific bar downstairs, with a great view of the Empire State Building at night.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Nice, Smaller Hotel in NYC

The Shelburne Murray Hill hotel is located in a quieter district of NYC than most tourists stay at. It's an older hotel but well decorated and with a superb staff.

We received a special 50% off rate during our stay. Perhaps such deals are available at other times of the year too.

Unique Quality: We received tremendous service from a tall fellow named Bill at the front desk. He was superb about everything, going well beyond the call of duty to help us.

Every suite seems to come with a small kitchen.

Though the hotel offers a pay-for-use WiFi service I was able to locate some free signals which I used instead!

Directions: Just a few blocks south and east of Grand Central Terminal.

More about Shelburne Murray Hill

Shelburn Murray Hill- A New York City Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member luvtravel2

We stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill for two nights and had a wonderful visit. We hope to return to this hotel in the future.
The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood. The lobby is modern and tastefully decorated. We were greeted by helpful & friendly staff upon arrival. No problems encountered at check-in. We received the non-smoking room we requested. The hallways were filled with photographs of New York City.Our room was very spacious- larger than our last apartment! The room had a dining area with a table and four chairs. The living room area had a couch, two chairs, an armoire, TV, and coffee table. Attached was a small kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, stove, dishes, dishwasher, sink, and cutlery. The bathroom was small but very clean. A hallway closet contained an ironing board and iron. The bedroom was huge and contained a king size bed, dresser, end tables, and two closets. The sheets and towels were of good quality. But the best part was the balcony, which ran the length of the room! At night, the view was amazing! The rooftop bar closed at 11:00 p.m. The room was very quiet- no street noise or hallway noise. The bed was comfortable.
On most of our trips to NYC, we don't have any interest in hanging out at the hotel. This time, we really enjoyed relaxing in our room, sitting on the balcony, and enjoying the view!
We didn't visit the rooftop bar, but spoke to other guests who highly recommended it. A restaurant, Rare, is attached the hotel.
It is obvious that the satisfaction of guests is a top priority for this hotel.

Highly recommend the Shelburne

I would definitely recommend the Shelburne Murray Hill - my mother and I were there for 6 nights in a studio apartment but still found that to be a great size for 2 people. Apart from quite a rude woman at reception when we checked in (after a 33 hour journey) we were really happy with our stay. Staff were great and accomodated our requests eg: a kettle instead of a coffee maker, quickly and happily. Our room was really clean, we didn't have a balcony but loved being able to open our windows and enjoy the views. Like some of the other reviewers we actually enjoyed hanging out in our room when jet lag started to overtake us. The midtown location is great. Being in a residential area is a huge bonus because you get to go to local delis and restaurants but you are still such a close walk to all New York has to offer. The basement gym is very well equipped for a hotel gym as well.

Best hotel ever!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member silverstar007

I had looked up the hotel on this site before we booked it and noted there was a few bad reviews relating to cleanliness of rooms and helpfulness of staff. I decided that the good far outweighed the bad reviews and decided to book it anyway. Thank god I did!!!

I can honestly say that I have never stayed in such a friendly, well run, hospitable hotel. From the second we arrived to the time we left, they exceeded all my expectations. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff of the hotel, whether it be dinner reservations, helping us to get to the Yankee stadium, or organising a car to take us to the airport (a chaffeur driven mercedes for the same price as a typical cab!). They also gave us a later check out time (3pm as opposed to 12pm) as our flight from JFK wasnt until later that evening.

I had booked a studio suite room and although it was fine, I decided to upgrade to a one bedroom suite. It was only an extra $40 a night and well worth it as the room was absolutely superb and just made the trip even more memorable. The location of the Shelburne is just great, right on Lexington Avenue within a 5-7 minute walk of either the Empire State, Chrysler, Grand Central or 5th Avenue. Also the rooftop bar has amazing views of the Chryler and Empire State and is great for a relaxing drink under the stars.

I absolutely loved this hotel and cannot wait to return next year to visit again. Take no notice of any bad reviews of this hotel and book it - its fantastic!!!!

Ideal Location

by TripAdvisor Member minerssa

Ideal location for exploring New York. Four blocks in any direction for most of the major sites. This was our first visit and we would definitely stay here again. The staff were really friendly and helpful and gave food advice when aske. The hotel clean and nicely decorated. The rood top restuarant has amazing views of both the Crysler building and the Empire State Building. We stayed in a one bed suite which was spacious and had all that we needed for our family. Four blocks up Lexington is Grand Central Terminal where there is a lovely food market and food hall with a great choice of inexpensive restaurants. This location is more residential than touristy so the shops and restaurants reflect this in their prices.

View from Shelburne Murray HillView from Shelburne Murray Hill

Hotel in NYC in September

by SarahAL

Hi

I'm spending 5 nights in NYC from 23rd September, with one other adult and an eight year old child. None of us have ever been to the US before.

We want to do the usual sights, empire state, statue of liberty, central park etc etc.

Money is limited so can someone recommend a clean good hotel close to all the things we want? I was looking at the Pennsylvania but it seems to have some really bad reviews. Its about my price range, however, so if anyone can come up with something better, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

Sarah

by CandS

We stayed at Chelsea Lodge in Chelsea...it is cheap (compared to other places in NYC) and was in a good location. Check out my NYC page if you want...it's got a website link for them.

NYC is great! I loved it there! :)

by 10028

You're wise to avoid the Pennsylvania. Actually, I'd avoid that neighborhood. Though it's convenient for transport, it's basically a commercial district, and the only activity at night is around Penn Station and Madison Square Garden arena. Not very pretty.

September is a pretty time of year. Especially with an eight-year-old, I think you should consider staying on the upper west side, away from the hordes of tourists in midtown. You'd be right near Central Park. The area has lots of family-friendly shops and restaurants. Very convenient to public transport. In fact, only 10 minutes to Times Square. Hotels to explore are the Lucerne, Excelsior, Beacon, Belleclaire, Milburn, On the Ave. The Newton gets good reviews and is a bit farther up, still a wonderful, safe area. Jack & Judy's B&B offers clean apartments on a beautiful brownstone-lined street. (www.jacksbandb.com).

I'm not a hotel expert and I don't really follow the rates. You should connect with the tripadvisor.com NYC forum, where there's been a wealth of info on budget hotels and the upper west side. When you post on that forum, be sure to give your dates and your budget, I'm sure you'll get help.

RE: RE: Hotel in NYC in September

by devil66

You might also want to look at http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

by sarahbeth33

We have been to NYC a few times and tried a few different hotels. We are returning in March of this year and we have booked at the Shelburne Murray Hill. We got a great deal through travelzoo (Orbitz also has great rates) under 200 a night for a 1 bd suite with a kitchen. We have not stayed there but I research a great deal before booking hotels, and for the most part this hotel looks like a great deal, good location, clean. Go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews for this hotel, they are overall pretty good. Even those who gave negative reviews seemed to be for petty reasons. Just thought I would share this info with you. I will update you after our trip in March and let you know what our experience was.

Comments