3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

230 West 54th Street, New York City, New York, 10019, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Poor Service and Scammed for additional $$$

We booked this hotel via Priceline and stayed there for 4 nights. They insisted that we give them a $100 fully refundable deposit for "incidentals" but refused to elaborate on what those were. Since I paid $25 for internet access with a different card, I knew it was not that. Nor was there any kind of bar or refreshments in the room for purchase. They ran the "deposit" for $100 which showed up on my bank account as an ATM cash withdrawal along with $4 in service charges! They never refunded any of the "deposit" even though we left the room in great shape.

In addition, they first led us to a floor that was full of PAINT FUMES and in the process of being renovated. Since I have COPD and Asthma, we asked for another floor. They then took us to a room with NO HEAT which was ridiculous since it was 24 degrees out! Finally we were taken to the floor above the paint fumes and had to call down for towels. The bathroom was funky and had a plain plate of glass as the shower stall held in place with only some caulking which had black mold on it.
    The staff at the check-in desk was not friendly either, and it looked like the bell man was running the place. I would never return again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Unique Quality: NO FACILITIES except a bar in the lounge.

Directions: Close to the Theater District.

• Johnat6680's Profile Photo

New Yorks well situated

Ameritania Hotel is located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan at 54th Street and Broadway and boasts a contemporary decor in chocolate brown tones that creates a serene, relaxing atmosphere in the very heart of America's busiest city! When you enter the hotel you will be drawn to the softly illuminated lobby with original futuristic furnishings and during your stay you will enjoy some of the finest amenities offered at any New York boutique-style hotel.

Unique Quality: No matter where you want to visit during your stay, the Ameritania Hotel ensures a good location close to all of New York's most popular attractions. Within easy walking distance, you will find the glitzy Theater District, well-known Rockefeller Center, trendy Museum of Modern Art, popular Radio City Music Hall and bustling Times Square to name just a few!

Directions: Theater District
    Rockefeller Center
    Museum of Modern Art
    Radio City Music Hall
    The Ed Sullivan Theater (Home of the David Letterman Show)
    Times Square and hundreds of other Manhattan restaurants, diners, stores and attractions.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Good Location, however small rooms

The hotel itself is a great location, just a short walk from Times Square. Pleasant modern decorartion.

Good bagels and coffee for breakfast.

Make sure you get a room that is on one of the upper floors, as the room we had was really small. You literally had you feet in the bedroom whilst sitting on the loo.

Unique Quality: We came back to our room one night to find that somehow the room was locked and we had to get the night porter to "break into" our own room.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

Bathrooms the size of many NY apts!

Unique Quality: If it needs re-emphasizing, the Ameritania is a fabulous value, a very good rate for the midtown location. And the bathroom, verrrry spacious, lots of counter space too, for all your essentials.

Directions: 54th and Broadway, same block as Letterman's theatre...

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

Location, location, location

I got this one through the internet, although I noticed even for the one Thurs night in question, different sites had different prices, from $99US all the way to $139US...each site claiming it had the *lowest* possible rate! So do your homework and you can certainly find some incredible deals, even in New York City, even for a room with a private bath and a central midtown location. The Ameritania's staff was attentive, they were quick to bring in a toasty portable heater to my room when I reported the main radiator was kaput. Hairdryer, cool little toiletry items, a clock radio with a CD player, go figure! Would've been nice if the ice machine a few doors down was working, instead it had a label which advised the nearest functioning alternative was five floors down...;-(

Unique Quality: A *New York breakfast* is included in the basic room rate...you know that means bagels, bagels, bagels, right? ;-)) But they were good bagels, and they came wih real Philly cream cheese...mmmmmmm! Coffee and juice, too, a simple affair but it saves you at least $7US or so at any nearby diner, seriously.

Directions: right next to Letterman's theatre, so when you are blessed with Dave tix, stay at the Ameritania and you have it made! Otherwise, it's still in the heart of the theatre district at 54th and Broadway.

More about Ameritania Hotel

For the price, Ameritania was great!

by TripAdvisor Member K Far

On the advice of a collague, my husband booked the Ameritania for his business trip. Myself and our 2 small children, as well as my mom were all sharing a room. After reading reviews here, I was very skeptical.

We stayed in a suite for under $200. The first thing I was thrilled with was the location. 3 blocks from my husbands convention (at the Hilton), attached to Ed Sullivan's theatre (Letterman). The lobby is very cool. We thought our suite was great. Well appointed, plenty of space, normal sized bathroom. We did not have a coffee maker (but there was free coffee and bagels in the morning). Our room was very hot, and we had a maintenance person fix the radiator (and crank the window A/C). We needed a babysitter last minute, and they got me a great one (actually worked at the front desk). The only complaint we really had was that the double doors that seperated the bedroom from living area were glass, which proved difficult to get the kids to sleep if you had any lights on, not to mention lack of privacy. This wouldn't be a problem if you weren't travelling with kids/mother-in-law, etc.

Overall, no-frills but cool spot for a great price in the middle of everything!

Great Hotel, fantastic location

It was our first visit to New York so we didn't really have a clue about where to stay, we picked the Ameritania Hotel as it seemed to be in a central location to all the sites/attractions and it was within our budget. I visited the Trip Advisor website and most of the reviews for this hotel were bad so as you can imagine we were slightly worried as to what we were going to find once we arrived. To our surprise we got a very nice room, plenty big enough with all the facilities you need for a 4 night stay, its not as if you spend much time in your room apart from sleeping because there is so much to see and do in such a short space of time. The location was perfect, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to apart from one day when we visited the Statue of Liberty and we hopped on the tube, which was simple enough. We really enjoyed our time in New York and as we visited 18-21 December 2003 so near to Christmas it was a very magical time which made it all more special. I would advise anyone going to New York to stay at the Ameritania Hotel and if I ever go back i will definately be staying there.

The WORST Hotel Ever!!

We stayed at the Ameritania Hotel for one night. We asked for a full-queen bed, and received two double beds--how romantic. The carpet was brown, and falling apart. There were paint chips on the rug from the heater. The room was the size of a box. The receptionist was not helpful in finding us a better room, and of course there was no manager available. I left a message for the general manager, Mark Wellens, and of course did not receive a call back, even though I was told he would be in, in the morning. Unless you want to be trully disappointed do not stay at this hotel.

Very pleased..........

I stayed at the Ameritania for a short business trip to New York. The location is perfect for midtown meetings. Plus you can't beat the rate.
The rooms are comfortable and well equipted. The front desk was very helpful and responsive to my needs. Even though this is not the best hotel I've stayed at in Manhattan I will stay here again. Especially when I don't want to pay $200 or $300+ a night.

Ameritania Hotel - W.57th & Broadway

by YYZ

We are booked in at the Ameritania Hotel...has anyone stayed there? If so, what is it like. We aren't picky, just want a clean place to lay our heads!
Cheers!

RE: Ameritania Hotel - W.57th & Broadway

by galge

Yes, my husband and I stayed there last June. It was fine. The location was great. Its right next door to the CBS Studios, so we got on David Letterman and PHISH played an outdoor concert on top of the David Letterman Marque that we could hear out our hotel window.

The rooms are small, the bathroom even smaller. The hallway smelled stale and the hotel is definetly tired, but I don't think its any worse than any other hotel in NYC. I'm pretty picky and I was ok with it for 6 days.

If I had my choice, I would want to stay in the most expensive hotels in NYC, but for my budget, Ameritania was ok.

I'm going back next week and staying in an even cheaper hotel. I'm definetly worried about it.

Gayle