4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Strange Hotel

My stay at the Andaz 5th Avenue was somehow nothing I was expecting.

Check in is just weird. It comes across disorganized and instills uneasiness and constant attention to try to keep track of who was next. And as such, it was like almost every other hotel understaffed for check-ins.

The man who checked us in asked the questions about late check out and points for my diamond amenity. I assume this is what passes for recognition with Hyatt as it was similar the next night at another hotel. This is truly unimportant, but I’m rather used to a thank you for being whatever status you have so this was different. Not sure which I prefer at this point.

As we were going to the room I was happy about a couple of things. It was on a higher floor as I prefer although mid level for this hotel and also that the room was far from the elevator. My happiness went away when I walked in the room. One of the three smallest rooms. And a small room isn’t always a bad thing. But this room is so dysfunctional that it made the stay a very poor one.

As you enter the room it opens to the left. There is a tiny seating area with a desk turned perpendicular to TV on the wall. One desk chair on one side and some small low weird half chair on the other. There is a wall with a small passage through into the bedroom area. A cheap attempt to make a suite in the smallest rooms. I honestly would have preferred the room without this modification.

The bed was low to the ground which is something I don’t particularly care for and it was a bit too worn/spongy for my tastes. I did appreciate the outlets right by the bed though. This made charging out devices overnight very easy.

The bathroom was quite nice but I would seriously appreciate a door to the toilet. The sink was large and had plenty of space for everything we needed. The shower was something at first glance I’d say I’d want at home. But in functionality it was not as nice as I hoped. It seemed like the two shower heads needed to replaced or at least soaked in CLR for a while. We couldn’t find black out shades in the room so we were greeted with sun at about 6am. Not a nice thing after going to sleep much later than we’re used to.

As expected, the mini bar was free except for the alcohol. This was truly appreciated and I do honestly wish more hotels with go this route. I’d rather pay 10 extra dollars for mini bar than I would pay 10 extra for a king bed.

We did not partake in the 6-9pm wine in the lobby. We were hungry and left for dinner early. We did order room service for breakfast. I like the option. It meant we didn’t have to speed rush through the morning to get to breakfast. I just wish that the order on the tray had been checked against the receipt of what was being charged. I had ordered bagel and lox and my wife just a bagel. So of course when only 1 bagel showed up I let her have it. I didn’t have the time to do anything about it as we were running behind even though we had the time advantage of room service. I did give the man who brought it up a small cash tip as I expected it to be comp’ed for being diamond and wanted to make sure he still got something. I did have to sign the slip when it was delivered as if it was being charged. The portions were large and the food we did get was very tasty at least.

Check out was a mess again. There were only two people that seemed to be handling it at about 11am and they seemed to be disappearing for more than a moment at a time. It wasn’t until it was finally my turn (who really knew when it was my turn with the everyone stands around design…) that they explained their systems were down. This prevented them from giving me a copy of my bill and the woman checking me out had no idea if my breakfast would be charged or not.

The staff was pleasant but left me feeling they were as uninformed with Hyatt as I am. Had it been a regular traveler who had diamond versus someone who knows the game, they likely would have missed things as there was no explanation of benefits.

I have really thought about this review and tried to keep it as fair and honest as I could. It was my first night as a diamond with Hyatt and it left me disappointed for a variety of reasons. At least it would get better the next night at another hotel.

Comments