125 East 50th Street, New York City, New York, 10022, United States

The Benjamin
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not happy

upon arrival at the hotel i was informed that i had to hand over a credit card or pay a security deposit of $1000, I wasnt informed of this before i booked and seeing as i dont have a credit card i had to hand over the money, We booked 2 rooms but because i only had $500 they emptied the mini bar in one of the rooms, We also booked twin adjacent or interconnecting rooms which we didnt get, and one of the rooms only had a double bed so me and my young son had to share

• kehale's Profile Photo

Luxury on Lexington

In September 2010, I was making a last minute trip to NYC for one night. When plans to stay with a friend fell through, I managed to book a hotel through hotwire for a "great deal". To stay right in the city you're looking at spending a pretty penny, so when Hotwire offered up a 4.5* hotel in mid-town east for $300/night I jumped! Turned out to be the Benjamin and I couldn't be happier.

From the moment I arrived the staff were great! I received an upgrade at check-in, and was given a studio room with a King size bed. There was more than enough space for an NYC hotel, and for one night it would do as I spent very little time in the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the option of a pillow menu was extremely tempting! The staff had no problem quickly reactivating my key when I came in late after drinks with collegues and couldn't get into my room.

It's definitely pricey, but if you're looking for a great place to stay in Mid-town, I highly recommend The Benjamin. It was close walking to everywhere I needed to be. I strolled up Madison Ave and over to Central Park before hitting Columbus Circle to meet with more people the following day.

They held onto my suitcase while I spent the day out in the city, and were quick to retrieve it and get me a fast ride to the airport when I returned. I would definitely stay here again.

Unique Quality: The pillow menu that they offer their guests is incredible! I didn't order from it, but I took a quick browse and it was tempting I must say! They have a "Sleep conceirge" who will help you get the best nights sleep possible. Are there many hotels that offer that? It makes me wish I had the opportunity to stay longer to try it out!

Directions: Mid-town east at Lexington and East 50th.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

Cozy and charming

The Hotel Benjamin is a cozy, comfortable, dignified hotel located on 50th between Lex and 3rd. It's good quality without tons of frills. Rooms are nice, clean, comfortable, quiet. Front desk check in was quick and friendly and bell service was helpful and efficient. Sometimes I stay at the New York Palace if I can get a cheap deal there...this is almost as nice but a little cozier, and nicer than the Affinia 50 down the street. That's the pecking order as I see it.

Unique Quality: The pillow menu was kind of nice. I personally like the buckwheat pillows and these were on offer. The overnight shoe shine was timely and excellent.

Directions: 50th between Lex and 3rd.

More about Benjamin Hotel

The Benjamin is Function over Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member CharlestonNative

While visiting New York City in January we stayed at The Benjamin.
While it is a fine boutique style hotel, it does lack a true feeling of luxury. The suite we had was nicely appointed with the space well utilized. The "kitchen" is tiny and barely able to manuever in. The bedroom was nice with a decent view of the city. The pillow menu was a hit with my fellow travelers. The bathroom is fine although small. The lobby is quite small and unimpressive. The staff was helpful with the exception of one gentleman at the front desk. Overall, there are better choices for the $315 room rate. Others in my party stayed at the New York Palace for only $225 per night and I was much more impressed with their room and staff. It may be comparing apples to oranges. Depending on what you require, The Benjamin could suit your needs if you crave function over luxury.

Forget the Benjamin stay at Doubletree or the Michelangelo

by TripAdvisor Member AbsCan

We stayed at the benjamin during the Easter Weekend in a one bedroom suite. I based my decision to stay there largely on the reviews from this site and the virtual tour on the hotel's website. Both are misleading. The Benjamin is just an ok hotel nothing special. Just like any other hotel they have some employees who provide great service, like our doorman, Jonathan, who is probably the best doorman in New York, and then mediocre to bad service like when we checked in. We were promised a room with a view and were told no rooms had a view (an outright lie), but being on vacation I decided not to get upset and just make the best of it. The room is much smaller than the one shown on the virtual tour and does not have windows on both sides. It was reasonably clean and the decor was nice but that's all. The bathroom was tiny, cramped and annoying. The location is ok but is by no means prime. It's a good fifteen minutes to times square or central park. We paid $289/night including parking, although they tried to charge for parking upon check out but then quickly corrected it. For a business trip if you have to be in that location the Benjamin is fine. For vacation you're much better off at the Doubletree. The rooms are much bigger and the view and location much better. If you don't care about the view then stay at the Michelangelo. Around the same price (look for deals on their website or other online sights with an upgrade included) and the one bedroom suite clobbers the Benjamin's. You can't even compare the two, the Michelangelo is that much better. Hope this helps.

The 23rd President was...

by Routeman

The 23rd President was HARRISON, BENJAMIN, Party = Republican, Term = 1889 - 1893, Place of birth = North Bend, Ohio, Born = 08/20/1833, Died = 03/13/1901, Burial place = Indianapolis, Ind

Comforting and Caring

by TripAdvisor Member SLReed

The Benjamin, as a smaller hotel, truly cares about their guests. Upon our arrival at 10am (5 hours early) our suite was already available for check in. Since we did not have the honor of our luggage arriving with us, the staff automatically provided us with extra robes, toothbrushes, razors, etc., without us asking. The only minuses were that we had reception problems with our TV and had to request bedding for the pullout. Overall, this is a nice simple hotel in a great Midtown location with a well-trained staff. I know we will stay there again, which is the highest compliment I can give The Benjamin.

Superb Stay

My husband and two children and I stayed at the Benjamin for a week in February. The room was fantastic the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The location was great for all the sights and shopping, nowhere was too far to walk. The pillow menu was brilliant. The snore no more pillow actually works. Can't imagine us staying anywhere else in New York.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member RUGRAD

We had a great stay at the Benjamin. We went for the one bedroom suite.
Good size room(s)...package included spa discount and breakfast or parking, booked direct on hotel website. Big fan of the pillow menu...we chose three different ones...very relaxing quite room that was a good spot after dinner and a show...there is no lobby but I was okay with that we generally don't sit around the lobby of a hotel...staff was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend the weekend package, all in all a great time.

Peaceful location

by TripAdvisor Member xcone

Many have said how great The Benjamin is and we have to agree. We were there April 17/18 weekend and we had booked a room through expedia. The location was great, the service outstanding. Everyone there was very pleasant, tried very hard to help us and really made it a very wonderful experience. The room was a deluxe studio which has a microwave, fridge and sink. Though things were expensive in the minibar, you can bring your own food items. The bed was wonderful along with the pillows. It was a bit tight between the end of the bed and the dresser but the rest of the room was very comfortable. Loved the marble walls and floor in the bathroom. Certainly would recommend to anyone. Parking was $35 for 24 hours which is the going rate most places in town.

how do they get these reviews?

how do they get these reviews? the rooms are just fine, but there are zero amenities. no real lobby, either. beds are comfy but hardly worth the extra $$. i would stay here at a deep discount, but that's it.

by Dolcino

Has anyone experienced the Benjamin Hotel in Manhattan? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Benjamin Hotel

by Jabberjenn

I have never stayed there but I hear it is a lovely hotel. Actually, "lovely" is an understatement. The hotel is supposed to be amazing, astounding, and incredible! I am in that area of Manhattan several times a month. I know where the Benjamin is, and it is in a wonderful location....near 5th Avenue, Park Avenue, Central Park, etc. I am sure if you stay there you will be more than pleased. Enjoy!

Re: Re: Benjamin Hotel

by Dolcino

Thanks for your advice. I am not sure yet, where I will book. New york is very confusing!!!! Everyone has a different view of the same place! But so far Benjamin , Sheraton , Doubletree .. all seem nice.

Re: Benjamin Hotel

by KarenTaylor

It gets good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I've never been there myself, but use the advice given on that site frequently.

Comments