522 West 38th Street, New York City, New York, 10018, United States

BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Space-heater-heated, cold, smokey room with alarms

The Best Western Convention Center Hotel has confirmed that they rented out not only my room but other rooms as well without working heating systems with overnight low temperatures of 42 degrees in New York City. The management said, "We told them that it was simply unacceptable for our guests to stay in our hotel without heat." Unbelievably, the management then rented out these rooms with small space-heaters without any respect for their customers or their brand.

I paid for a king-sized-bed room. Without any warning, I slept a twin-sized bed in the cold with a smokey space-heater that caused the smoke alarm to repeatedly wake me. My important trip was adversely impacted. The management says twin beds with space heaters with 42 degree outside temperatures are in keeping with Best Western's brand. Only a smokey room is slightly inconvenient. They offered a 10% discount.

I have stayed in no-name extremely inexpensive hotels in the wintertime in mainland China who have a standard of quality that vastly exceeds Best Western's. In Manhattan there is no reason to ever willingly accept this situation.

If you are forced to stay here check for two twin beds (each with their own set of sheets) deceptively hidden under a single king-sized bedspread. When I complained, the management called this their idea of a "California King." This seems like a simply illegal bait and switch to me. Immediately check to make sure the heating and cooling system works. Immediately verify that your smoke alarm will not repeatedly sound during the night. Wait, I believe this is impossible, I advise staying in any of the plethora of other hotels that have heat and at least a modicum of concern for their guests and their reputation.

Unique Quality: This hotel is very close to the Javits Convention Center but it's lack of a working heating system and a uniquely poor stand of quality ruin the benefit of its location.

More about Best Western Convention Center Hotel

Modest but marvelous

by TripAdvisor Member whateveryeah

What a hidden gem... ok it’s not the Waldorf but it is clean and friendly. Breakfast is complimentary and the bagels are fresh!! Endless tea and coffee too .. This hotel is about 15 to 20 mins walking (stroll) distance from Times Square. At no point either in the hotel or walking back at night to the hotel did we feel uneasy. The area is busy but quiet and all the main streets leading to the sights etc are lit up so it feels very safe to walk about.
Rooms are smallish but well equipped and with friendly daily maid service they are just perfect for a short stay in NYC.
Try and get a room on the 11th floor its quiet up there and the views aren't too bad either.
This is a great hotel and if you can get over the 15 mins stroll in to town then its well worth the stay.

Did Not Like It!

by TripAdvisor Member hrgaga

I stayed at this hotel because of the reviews and because I had to go to a conference at the convention center. I left after two days because I did not feel safe. I'm a woman traveling alone and did not like the characters going in and out of the "gentleman's club" down the block or the taxi drivers hanging out all night long across the street. There was even a fight between some of them late one night that got loud and scary! Yelling, swearing, etc. I was too scared to go out at night to get dinner so didn't even eat. There are homeless people and thugs on the streets. The rooms are small, but clean. The staff was helpful. The location is awful. I moved to Times Square and was much happier.

Felt Safe, but just the basics

by TripAdvisor Member TishsDish

I stayed at this Best Western because I read the reviews of the BW President, which were not very good. I really rely on Tripadvisor for the truth. Location was probably the biggest downfall, but it is in Manhattan! This hotel felt safe because it was near the NYPD. In the middle of the night we heard bullhorns pulling over cars. Although it is a bit of a walk to activities aside from the Convention Center, it was adequate for one night. The staff were very nice and the continental breakfast was adequate. It is best to walk towards the Convention Center and then take a right for night time walks. That way you walk by NYPD, which is more than safe. Walk up to 42nd St. and turn right. There was a great restaurant along the way called Cafe Josephine. As you walk up 42nd St. it starts to light up. The room we had was small but clean. No frills. I would stay here again if I had to go to the Convention Center, which is right across the street. The price was right at around $200 night during Thanksgiving weekend.

Ideal Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WeekendBreaks

I stayed in this hotel for a week in March. At first the location seemed to be dodgy but was actually safe. There isnt much in the immediate location but a few blocks away on 9th avenue there is numerous diners and restuarants. The hotel is within walking distance of Times Square and 34th street which is good for shopping. The hotel room was small but very clean which is the main thing for me! The breakfast sets you up for the day. As I was on the 6th floor I didnt hear any noise from traffic. Would definately recommend staying here.

Great Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member icecoolcat

Stayed here for 7 nights during March and April and would recommend it for a bargain break in New York.
Hotel is spotlessly clean and the Staff are friendly and welcoming. Rooms are a bit on the small side but nicely decorated and furnished. I was a bit worried about the location when I first arrived but it is only a short walk to civilisation and restaurants, and I experienced no problems. Perhaps would not recommend for a lone woman Traveller due to location, would have no problems during the day but might feal uneasy at night. Would stay here again without hesitation, can't beat it for value and cleanliness, New York can be a bit of a lottery where hotels are concerned, unless you can afford the very best.

Great Hotel if your on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member Jen17

Stayed at this hotel for a week in march there is not much around but it is only a short walk from Times square and 34th street.Rooms where nice,clean and comfortable Tony the door man was really nice and helpful would stay here again if on a budget.

cheap and cheerful

We stayed in the hotel between the 8th and 11th of december 2005. We had spent ages searching for hotels and as we had left it to the last min we found that the majority of places were either booked up or very expensive. But then we found the best western convention centre! When we arrived I was a little unsure about the location - especially walking back to the hotel on our first night - but we had no problems at all! It's only a short walk from times square! All the staff in the hotel are very friendly. The rooms are very small but well equipped and very clean. The continental breakfast is great, it really does set you up for the day! As two young women on a shopoping trip the hotel was perfect! i'd definately recomend it to people!

Very Clean for a budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jennybeans

We were up in New York for my sister’s graduation and decided to make a vacation out of it by staying in the city for 5 nights. The hotel was very clean and cozy and had all the necessities. Though I had reservation at first because it was a bit far on the west side, we stuck to it because it was the only reasonably priced hotel during the third week in May. The bed was a bit hard for my taste and the blankets were to thin. Other than that, no complains about the hotel. However, the location is not exactly prime. It’s located in Hell Kitchen, which is an equivalent to your local “ghetto” neighborhood. The closes subway station is 2 avenue blocks away (if you’ve been to New York, you know how long the avenue blocks are). The minute you walk out of the hotel, you smell horse manure because right next door is a stable and right next to that, a “gentlemen’s club”. So, for all the money we spent on tax cabs, we could have stayed in Times Square because we were average $50 in cab money a day. Nonetheless, the hotel was very clean and that's the most important of all.

Hotel near Jacob Javits

by 1Karan

Hi

Could you pls recommend a decent reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of Jacob Javits Convention Centre. Will be travelling to NY in Nov for a convention and would need a room for about 5 nights.
Am travelling to NY after 8 years so would 100-125$ a night qualify as reasonably priced...

Thanx

by zuriga

Try checking with www.quikbook.com. They often have very good bargains. Speak by phone.. better than doing it on the Web. From what I remember, there aren't too many hotels very close to the Centre... but a bit of a walk should be doable.

by seagoingJLW

Try this one. I think it is the closest.

from $109.95 /night -

522 West 38TH St
New York City, NY 10018
Phone: 212-405-1700

Joan

by piano_007

You could try the Travel Inn :
It's very close, about 119$, depends on the date.

Comments