234 West 48th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Satisfaction Average

Rated 18% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• SailorRoar's Profile Photo

Location location location

I stayed at this hotel on my first visit to NY, in 2007. The primary objective for the NY stop on our trip was sightseeing, shopping and see a broadway show. The location right next to Times Square was great for just this kind of trip. And the price was good. The sightseeing buses all have a stop on Times Square, and most of them actually start here. Also we where in walking distance from the Broadway scenes and a lot of good shopping. Apart from that Times Square is a overcrowded tourist machine, that I probably will want to miss out on in the future.

Unique Quality: Very close to Times Square

• EricTheViking's Profile Photo

TIMES SQUARE AT YOUR DOORSTEP

Hey its dead in the centre of New York, clean, has a shower, what do you really need in a city that never sleeps.
    Even got one of the bell boys to give us a ride to JFK, at taxi rates too!! 45 dollars + toll
    Small rooms and the air conditioner was faulty but just left the city to return back to my country as the temp started to rise in NY
    Get the hop on hop off buses and if you get the full ours use them all, great guideson the buses (except the old irish guy who I think had a grdge against us ?Gibraltarians)
    Make sure to take your other half to see the singing cowboy, dam, in boots a cowboy hat and undies lol

• Waste of money

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I am not typically
    the type of person to complain, but this was the worst experience I
    have ever had with a hotel and I feel people need to know what they are
    getting themselves into with this one. My friends and I booked this
    hotel because we were told that the mini suite had two double beds and a sofa bed. We asked the rep several times when booking
    this just to make sure we had the right accomodations. It wasn't until
    we got there that we discovered all of the rooms only come with one bed
    plus a sofa bed. We contacted the customer service department and they
    were extremely rude and were not willing to do anything for us. To make
    matters worse, we lost our power in our room, had to call downstairs
    twice, and sat around our room for over an hour waiting for someone to
    fix the problem. We finally just left the room to tour the city hoping
    that this would be taken care of upon our return - THIS DID NOT HAPPEN.
    Instead, we had to place a third call downstairs and then we were told
    we needed to be moved into another room with a smaller bed. We had to
    rush through our room and pack up all of our belongings in a matter of
    minutes since we had tickets to a broadway show and they were not
    willing to hold this room until we returned. Again, no apologies and no
    compensation for our inconvenience. Trust me, go somewhere else - don't
    waste your time or money on this hotel.

• catpause's Profile Photo

A Convenient Hotel to Times Square

We have stayed at several hotels in the NYC Times Square area. We now stay here each time we visit the city. It is not the newest or prettiest but it is also not the most expensive. We look for a clean, convenient, safe place to stay and this fits the bill. Besides, we spend most of our time enjoying the attractions not in a hotel room.

The rooms are average size for NYC and are clean. All the normal ammenities are afforded and the staff is friendly and helpful. The elevators can be somewhat slow at times.

Unique Quality: The location of this hotel is what we like most. It is 1/2 block off Times Square on 48th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.

All the trappings of Broadway are within walking distance. Restaurants, shows, shopping, etc are within a few blocks. The subway stops are close also.

If you are looking for fancy, this is not the spot. Clean sleeping accommodations and convienence make this attractive.

Directions: 48th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.

Website below directly to this hotel. Use www.bestwestern.com for the general site.

• Best Western President Hotel

Three nights were $500 total. Ended up being a little more somehow than we had planned. This is still pretty cheap for downtown.

Unique Quality: I'm not sure if this is a reccommendation or not, but from our experience here, we will not return. The first night was horrible, with them screwing up our reservations and not giving us the room we wanted. We spent an hour on the phone with the national customer service who helped us out and negotiated with the hotel to get us close to what we requested. The singles here are nice, as we learned. However, the two double bed rooms are not even close in niceness to the single rooms. Alright, that aside, SOME people at the hotel were friendly. Others were not.

Ok, I'm not going to tell you not to stay here because you really can't beat this location near Times Square/Broadway and having prices as reasonable as they were here for downtown Manhattan. I'm sure you'll have better luck here than we did!

Directions: 234 West 48th Street
    This is REALLY close to Time's Square.... for location, this is one of the best!

More about Best Western President Hotel

A great hotel at a great location

by TripAdvisor Member Lank46

Newly renovated. Great location for the theatre district. Many reasonably priced resturants in the area. Staff was excellent. Parking is at a reduced cost. Plan to stay there again in December.

Excellent location and value

by TripAdvisor Member DennisU512

I stayed here for two nights. The other reviews mentioned the rooms and elevators were small, etc. The room I stayed in was a single. It was small, and I tend to be claustrophobic, I did not have a problem. I did leave my suit cases pretty much packed, and took out only what I needed. The room was clean. I did not eat at the hotel or ask for any services, so and I can't comment on these things. The pluses-LOCATION. Some of the people I met in NYC said they thought that their hotel was on Times Square, only to find out it was blocks away. When I told them how close I was, they were impressed. It is a great location! It was just steps from all of the action. I really can't think of many minuses. To me, you want a clean room, hot water, and a comfortable bed. These were all met. You can find little things you don't like at any hotel. There were a few here, but they were very minor. Transportation wise, it is close to the subway, but I did not use it. I walked to many places because of the excellent location. To see some things you would need to use the subway or take a cab. I would stay here again, and recommend it to my friends.

If you can afford another in the area, please do it

by TripAdvisor Member SteadyRain

Short story:
- Staff not friendly at all;
- Bathroom extremely small. No place to put our stuff;
- Hallways too dark;
- Have never see such small and slow lifts. I'd rather use the stairs when possible;
- Rooms too warm as air conditioner did not work.
- Cleaning lady got angry when I asked her to replenish ALL the stuff (they never replaced everything. If coffee ok, no shampoo. If soap ok, no conditioner, etc) . They barely could make the beds OK. Don't ask about towels or she will kill you!
- My room view was to a parking lot where lights were on all night. Considering the light curtains available at the room, sleeping was a challenge.

Conclusion although it is very well located indeed, I would never recommend to a friend.

Hotel was better than the reviews. Great Location and Nice.

by TripAdvisor Member cyberized

I have read all the reviews for the past 3 months before my stay and if you are going to write a review and complain about a dark hallways, slow elevators and small room and bath which all NYC hotels have, then spend the money and go stay in the Plaza @ Central Park. The hotel was overall great for us. It was very clean. 99% of all the renovations are complete. The room was normal size for NYC. Plenty of room for 2 people. The bed was the most comfortable of any hotels I've stayed at. Bathroom was a little small but water pressure was awesome. The staff was nice and very helpful as I had to change plans b/c of snow storm with flights. My only complaint was the room was very warm, which wasn't bad during the cold snow storm, so we just crack the window a little bit. Yes, the elevators are slow but I can spare an extra minute from my room on 12th floors. We were in room 1220 on street side and was a nice view of M&M LCD on corner of 48th and 7th ave. the location was the greatest you can walk to everything even Macys (15mins). there is good food all around and all prices. Best was Patzeria's Pizza on west 46th st between 8th and 7th ave. I was pleased and the prices of the hotel was great.

by SaseeTee11

I am wondering if anyone can give me a review on the Best Western President Hotel. I think we might stay there. Thanks!!!!

Re: Best Western President Hotel

by 10028

It gets mixed reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. If you want to compare other budget hotels in the theater district, read the reviews for the Belvedere, Edison and Portland Square. I find the tripadvisor reviews to be reliable.

Re: Best Western President Hotel

by tracymg

My partner and I stayed here in January. We booked it through Expedia (UK).

It is in a great location. It is clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy, but I doubt you will want to spend too much time in your room.

It is seconds away from Times Square.

You get free local calls which is very useful.

Staff fairly friendly. Very busy hotel. Worth the money really. We felt very safe in this area.

I hope this helps.

(We are going back over Christmas but BWP was not available but we have gone for another hotel very close by).

Have a great trip.