100 Orchard St, New York City, New York, 10002, United States

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Blue Moon Hotel

Lower East Side Genealogy

by TripAdvisor Member ssross

I decided to do some family genealogy and take a tour of the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street. When I heard about the Blue Moon Hotel and its historical interest, I thought it would be a wonderful experience to stay in the neighborhood where my greatgrandparents spent many years of their life. The Blue Moon Hotel was worth every penny. The service was excellent and my room was overly comfortable. It is quite obvious that the owners of this unique hotel spent countless hours and capital in differentiating the Blue Moon Hotel from its peers. It reminds me of the setting of a European hotel. For those who want to visit the Lower East Side, I would highly recommend staying here.

The Blue Moon is a Gem

by TripAdvisor Member CAROhio

The Blue Moon Hotel on New York's Lower East Side is truly charming. The Hotel is a meticulously renovated tenement building.The rooms are very large for New York-- nicely decorated and immaculately clean. The technology is up to date, with internet access and flat screen TV.

I have stayed there twice, and both of my rooms (the lowest priced) overlooked Orchard Street. The neighborhood atmosphere is unlike any I have experienced in a New York hotel. It is an easy walk to the East Village, Chinatown, SoHo and Little Italy. Everything else is only a slightly longer walk or a short taxi or subway ride away.

I stayed at the Blue Moon the first time because it was near the theaters and other activities I had planned. The second time, I returned because I liked the hotel so much. The old fashioned practice of leaving your key at the front desk when you step out (and the fact that the front desk is staffed 24 hours) made me feel very safe.

The Blue Moon is very unique-- like an old time inn, but with the modern conveniences. It would be a pleasure to stay at such a place in any city, but the fact that it is in an historic New York neighborhood makes it extra special.

Character, Beauty, and Charm

by TripAdvisor Member estoppel76

I have stayed in my share of New York hotel rooms, and I can honestly say that the Blue Moon Hotel on the Lower East Side was the best one yet. It was amazing to find such a comfortable and homey ambiance in a "city hotel". The staff was exceptionally polite and friendly to a fault, and the Frank Sinatra room was not just comfortable; it was beautiful. A far cry from the cookie-cutter rooms you see at most of the hotels in the city. But don't let the quaint atmosphere fool you - this hotel had all 21st century amenities including wireless internet access and flat screen televisions.

As a traveling clergyman, I find location to be at least as important as quality, and the Blue Moon delivers. This hotel is perfectly suited to all the neighborhoods in the Lower East Side and downtown Manhattan and a short walk from New York's famous subway system.

In short, if you're just looking for a place to lay your head at nights while in NYC, the Blue Moon Hotel is more than adequate. But if you're looking for your hotel to be a part of your New York experience, a memorable hotel with character, beauty and charm (as well as exceptional comfort), the Blue Moon Hotel is the only place you need to go.

A most enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Wildeep

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Blue Moon Hotel. The proprietors were lovely, and very proud of their property, which is beautifully maintained and very clean. They were extremely helpful and pleasant, and full of recommendations for current attractions in the New York area. The rooms are comfortable, and quite large - such a pleasure in New York. The breakfast of fresh fruit, bagels, and lovely Jewish pastries was tasty and very filling. Our only critique was that we would have loved a couple of additional bathtowels but we will certainly stay again!

A Charming Hotel in a Historic Neighborhood.

by TripAdvisor Member rzfrank

The Blue Moon Hotel in New York City, a renovated tenement building, was referred to us by friends as a must. It is on the lower east side of New York an old, old neighborhood known for its immigrant population at the turn of the 20th century. We had been to the "east side" quite a while back and were astonished at it's revival and vibrancy.
The Blue Moon lobby is entrancing. Not only is it welcoming it is tastefully furnished and contains items found during the renovation of this original tenement building.such as a coal oven and stove, a Coca-Cola ice box complete with bottle opener. Magnificent marble floors which inlcude some of the tiles found throughout the old
tenement..
. The room we were given was The Milton Berle room. All rooms are named after vaudeville stars including Fannie Bryce, Eddie Cantor, Sophie Tucker.
We were amazed at the size of the room. Much larger than any
room we have ever stayed in in New York. It could easily sleep four and had a table and two armchairs. There was also a refrigerator stocked with dri nks next to a very convenient sink.
. There were two dressers, one of which was tall and included a
desk that opened. The oldtime closet was roomy. It contained an ironing board and iron and a safe.
The windows were huge. We were told they were the original windows with the original wooden frame.and could actually be
opened!
It was not noisy at all during the day, as it often is midtown and at night it was so quiet it was like being in the country.
The shower/bathtub in the bathroom actually had a door, making it much more comfortable than a shower curtains. It was mticulously clean, as was the room and hallways. Having large soap bars, shower gel, toothbrushes and toothpaste was a nice touch.
A more than continental breakfast is available to all guests which
includes bagels, bialys, cream cheeses, rugelach, pastries, freshly squeezed orange juice, freshly brewed coffee and tea. After such a breakfast, our next meal was around dinner time.
Just being in this guest friendly historical building was a definite plus for our trip.
We look forward to our next trip when they will have a kosher
restaurant that they are in the process of adding on the premises.

Rosita Fink
Shaulzon24@yahoo.com

A bit of Europe in NY

by TripAdvisor Member Jet2Toronto

A great little European style hotel in a big city. Have stayed in similarly priced hotels in NY before and none compare to the hospitality, the spacious, spotless room (I was in the one of the smallest too!) and the quiet (I was facing the street.) Would highly recommend for those seeking unique.

Special, one-of-a-kind experience!

by TripAdvisor Member pom48

Stay at the Blue Moon if you're interested in warmth, graciousness, and hospitality. We recently stayed one night at this charming 22 room hotel and can't wait to have an opportunity to return. The rooms were large and extremely clean and the ambience was delightful. We were looking for something out of the ordinary and the Blue Moon didn't disappoint. It's truly unique in a city full of the same old run of the mill hotel chains.

Wonderful nights at the Blue Moon

by TripAdvisor Member babz842

The service that we recieved from the staff there was excellent. The beauty of the hotel and the rooms really made the stay wonderful. Being it my first time to NY the staff was very helpful in suggestions and directions around town. The all over experience of the stay at the Blue Moon was wonderful and I know we will be back in no time to visit.

Total incompetence

by TripAdvisor Member LL-33

The staff at this hotel all of the way up the manager are totally, totally incompetent, definitely stay away! My initial reservation was totally botched by someone who sounded like a teenager answering the phones. Then when I called to cancel my reservation I discovered that the mistake had never been fixed. Even worse yet, despite cancelling, my credit card was still billed and after 6 calls and several e-mails to the hotel, including Leah the manager I was never responded to!! I have never never had an experience like this at any hotel in my life!

Great atmosphere in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member mafra1608

This is the place to go to if you want to stay away from the conventional huge/amenity packed hotels where the service may reach excellence but the atmosphere is something you can just dream of.
The room names ( mine was " Tommy Dorsey " ) gives already an idea about the age that inspired the renovation of this nice little building in 100 Orchard street, where original pieces found in the basement during the works have been reallocated all over the hotel. Courtesy at reception, basic but nicely arranged breakfast buffet in the little entrance hall and spacious rooms made my stay really enjoyable.
Original room doors, restored to perfection, have original locks, that you need to get used to for leaving or getting back into your room, but that's part of the game....

Comments