Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

Tags

Budget Travel Arts and Culture Singles

Amazing Location + Price

by written on April 3, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in September 2013. As a 30 year-old female traveler, I felt perfectly safe here. No problems with any other guests, employees, or any kind of vermin/bug that may be all over New York. The room is literally the size of a closet, with a very small bed and barely enough room for 2 large bags and myself, but you have 4 walls around you and a secure lock on your own door. You aren't stuck in a huge room of bunk beds surrounded by strangers while you sleep or get dressed. Since the ceilings are open and walls are pretty thin, you can hear others, but everyone was surprisingly quiet and respectful during my four nights here. I am a very light sleeper, and the street noise was more bothersome than the people. Problem solved with earplugs. The bathrooms and showers are like those in a dorm. Except the water was always hot! Bring some flip flops. As there are no electrical outlets in your room(worst thing about this place, by far), you'll have to charge your phone and other electronics while you're brushing your teeth and getting ready. Or sit downstairs in the lobby for a while to use those plugs while you eat or socialize. Or ask the employees at the desk to charge them for you. These minor inconveniences are easy to overlook for such a low price for a safe place to store your belongings and sleep a few hours a night. To walk out the door in the morning, or night, and be in this area, is priceless! You can come prepared for less than luxurious but perfectly safe accommodations or go waste 4-5 times as much money each night elsewhere. I'll keep coming back here and spend my money enjoying time in this incredible city.

rcabala's Profile Photo

Best Price

by written on January 21, 2014

Low proce and great location!! I spent two weeks and I'm not complaining.

Niska cena i świetna lokalizacja, spędziłem 2 tygodnie i nie narzekałem, wszędzie blisko !!

Jeżeli chcesz zwiedzać miasto a nie siedzieć w hotelu jedząc kawior przed TV to to jest dobre miejsce.

Jeżeli do tej pory nocowaleś w Hiltonie to może niekoniecznie!

Good Manhattan hotel

by written on January 8, 2013

I liked stay in Bowery's Whitehouse hotel of NY. I't saved my money and time.Most the time I been out of hotel, so for me it did not matter how big is room been and how well it equped.It had a privacy, hot water and clean restrooms.Accross a street a little Seven/eleven where I usually had an enexpensive breakfast.So , I will reccomend it for people on a budget. Sincerely, Elvira Spartz.

Unique Quality: It is in Manhattan. Everything very convinient.

Directions: For exact location go to www.hopstop.com

New York's best Manhattan travel place to stay-Bow

by written on January 8, 2013

Unique Quality: It has a great location and good price!

Directions: Manhattan direction,or go www.hopstop.com to se exact location

Good location good price

by written on October 28, 2012

I traveled alone and I was looking for a non very expensive hotel , quiet and well located.
This hotel offered me all that. I found the hotel quiet, and is what I was looking for a quiet place to sleep, anyway I use earplugs to sleep so I sleept very well at night.
My room was small, yes, but I had clean sheets and pillow and I had enough room to leave my suitcase. so, enough for me.
I was there 7 nights, and it was great.
I just went to the hotel to sleep, because I was tourism all day, so I came back just to sleep.
I showered and shaved in the morning,( the shower had hot water and worked perfectly) and again with sightseeing in the wonderful New York¡¡¡
Two of my seven days I could walk from the hotel to Battery park and Brooklyn bridge, just walking, and also I went walking to China Town to buy a lot of things¡¡¡ I love shopping¡¡¡ :-)
This hotel is the best option, the front desk staff is helpful and friendly, prices are reasonable and it is close to the Metro and for me, the most important for me is that you can sleep alone , in a little room, yes, but at least, you are alone, and not sharing with other people.
Here you have your own private space to sleep and leave your things, and that's great.
I plan to return soon, and of course I recommend it to my friends planning to go to New York.

Good value for money

by written on August 10, 2012

If you´re just looking for the cheapest accomodation, this is your best bet. It is very basic but it offers everything that it is necessary. Even though the rooms are not completely enclosed because the walls do not get to the ceiling, there is not much noise and you´re able to sleep perfectly well. My room was very narrow, with just one bed and little space to leave my luggage, but I wasn´t looking for much more. If you´re only gonna be there to sleep, it is more than enough.

The location is also good. Close enough to subway, shops, buses. If price is paramount, I wouldn´t look any further.

For the young and easy going

by written on June 27, 2012

Really, everyone else are big babies. I never spent any time in my room really. Never got bit that I know of, not that I don't believe there were bugs. Just deal with it, you're young.
I stayed in May 2011. It was great! Definitely suited for the younger crowd. I came and left whenever I pleased. Great place to meet other people in the common area. The whole stay is an experience. From the lobby to the rooms, it really adds to your time in New York. Employees there were nice. All the other guests were extremely quiet. I couldn't believe it. If anyone does happen to get a little loud then someone else will say something, so don't worry. It did make me a little weary leaving my stuff in my room since there were no ceilings. Imagine an empty floor with cubicles. That's it. I'm going back in a week. Of course, I'm a pretty easy going guy and young. Might not be a place for everyone. If you stay here, please please please be respectful and quiet.

Unique Quality: Hip

Directions: Bowery

Be adventurous; It's perfectly fine

by written on January 19, 2012

I stayed here several years ago, and so my review might be a bit out-dated, but I felt compelled to write here so that I might share my experience.

First things first. As far as I’m concerned, you won’t find a better deal anywhere in the city. I’m a frequent visitor to New York, have stayed in lots of different hotels and hostels, and you’re going to get the most bang for your buck in the White House Hotel.

This is due to two things. One, the hotel’s location. Being right in the middle of the Village, you’re in one of Manhattan’s safest and most accommodating areas of the city.

Second, there is some semblance of privacy at the White House Hotel. I say “some semblance” due to the fact that you won’t be getting complete privacy. It’s pretty much visual privacy only. The ceilings are open and noise carries easily from the surrounding rooms. The halls can sometimes also be noisy. The walls, if I remember correctly, were also very thin.

On the upside, bathrooms were fairly clean and well-maintained. The sheets may not have been perfect, but they were washed and hygienic enough. If you’re picky about this kind of thing, you may consider bringing your own.

Some reports mention bedbugs. I personally didn’t encounter any. This may or may not be the case for you.

Staff were willing to help me in finding important local locations. If you’re reading this review, you’re looking to travel on a budget, which means limiting the number of meals you take in restaurants. There are several grocery stores in the near vicinity, including one Whole Foods.

So bring some ear plugs, be prepared for a very small space, and just don’t spend all that much time in the room. You don’t come to the greatest city in the world to hang around the hotel. If you plan to use it for sleeping and nothing more, you’ll be fine. This is a good bet.

Funky FUN, EnJoY!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 8, 2011

BeLoved WIFE Olga and this old Dinosaur had fun staying in the Whitehouse New York City 4 to 12 June 2011 :) !
After having stayed there in February 2002 seeing the improvements Pleasurefied: The cubicles are brighter and decorated with fun graphics. Back in February 2002 the Whitehouse was a Fun, Exciting Place—now it is even more so not only because of the Whitehouse's improvements also because the whole area has evolved to THE HOT IN SPOT in The BIG Apple, THE Place to BE:
PROS:
The reception staff were/are friendly and helpful—Particularly thanks to: Malisa, Milton, Carol, Gustova, Farah & Garmal, You are all Dears!
The location is excellent--in the heart of the most exciting part for The BIG Apple, just on the boarder of the West & East Village, in the roaring NOHO!!
The price was and still is the cheapest deal in town!!!
The Proprietor, Meyer Muschel, is outgoing and attentive!!!
CONS (if none were included it would not be honest):
NO INTERNET CONNECTION -- Having to traps over to McDonald's ever night after a long day was a ROYAL pain in the butt :( !
The little cubicles are small and at least the # 407 where we stayed had no place to put our clothes !!
The bathrooms and toilets could be cleaner !!
NONETHELESS, I fully recommend the Whitehouse to all budget travellers: GO & EnJoY !! Do say "Hi" to Proprietor, Meyer Muschel, from Marco Polo & Olga !!!
Saturday, 08 October 2011, Mauritius, Marco Polo, The Photographing-Poet-Errant, Pointe-aux-Piments, Mauritius, E-mail: marco@marcopolopoet.nl Poetry & Photo Homepage: http://www.marcopolopoet.nl/ Paris Jazz: http://www.Paris-Jazz-Clubs.com/

Unique Quality: Funky ... Delightful Digs for Budget Travellers!

Directions: Subway: F Train, Stop 2nd Avenue

CHEAPEST PRIVATE ROOM IN MANHATTAN

by written on September 2, 2011

I have stayed at the Bowery Whitehouse three times already, and there's a reason I keep coming back. IT'S CHEAP AND CENTRALLY LOCATED !!! The rooms might be tiny and a bit noisy (remember ear plugs and sleep shades), the common facilites are decent, but the staff are really nice and helpful. It's a great location and you can't beat the price. BEST PRICE FOR A PRIVATE ROOM IN MANHATTAN. I will stay there again in a few weeks, and I am looking forward !

Directions: 340 Bowery Between Great Jones (3rd Street) and 2nd Street
(on the Western Side of Bowery)

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel FUN !

by written on May 15, 2011

Actually I stayed in the Whitehouse in February 2002 and am looking forward to going back 4-12 June 2011 with my Russian wife Olga who has never been in .America before.

Back in February 2002 the Whitehouse was a Fun, Exciting Place:

Pros:
The staff were friendly and helpful!
The location is excellent--in the heart of the most exciting part for The BIG Apple, just on the boarder of the West & East Village!!
The price was and still is the cheapest deal in town!!!
The Proprietor, Meyer Muschel, was outgoing and attentive--looking forward to seeing Meyer again!!!

Cons (if none were included it would not be honest):
The little cubicles were too dark.
The shower curtains were too long thus always wet so mold could form.

From the looks of the photos the new renovation as brightened up the old Whitehouse.

Looking forward to going back to the Whitehouse with my wife Russian Olga, seeing the improvements and meeting Meyer and the friendly staff again :) !

I fully recommend the Whitehouse to all budget travellers: GO & EnJoY !!

Do say "Hi" to Proprietor, Meyer Muschel, from Marco Polo & Olga !!!

Sunday, 15 May 2011, Mauritius

Marco Polo
The Photographing-Poet-Errant
Pointe-aux-Piments
Mauritius
E-mail: marco@marcopolopoet.nl
Poetry & Photo Homepage: http://www.marcopolopoet.nl/
Paris Jazz: http://www.Paris-Jazz-Clubs.com/

Unique Quality: Funky Atmosphere!
GREAT location!!
Cheapest place to rest your head in The BIG Apple!!!
Nice Staff!!!!
Affable, attentive proprietor!!!!!

Directions: East/West Village boarder - NoHO

Ekahau's Profile Photo

good Hostel -- Bowery

by written on March 17, 2008

well there is a very good hostel near by if you want that sort of arraignment it is the Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel of NY google it and check it out it is very near the Blue note. BTW the Blue note jazz club is great

The Whitehouse Hotel is very easy to reach by subway.

Unique Quality: SINGLE ROOMS $27.94 -$29.57 plus taxes. Rooms for 1 person for 1 night during our off-season is $27.94 and $29.57 per night during the summer & Holiday season. Linen and a towel are provided. Bathrooms and showers are on the hall. Off season, guests may receive a double room at no further cost if available. Full Charges incl. taxes are displayed when you book a reservation.

DOUBLE & SPLIT DOUBLES FOR 2 $53.90 -$56.50 per night + taxes. We have double rooms for couples and "split" doubles with beds on opposite ends of the room. Prices off-season are $53.90 and $56.50 in the summer & Holiday season Full Charges incl. taxes are shown when you make a reservation. Linens & towels are provided free. Bathrooms & showers are on the hall.

Directions: Take the #6 subway to Bleeker Street and Lafayette. Walk 1 block east to Bowery and 1 1/2 blocks north to The Whitehouse Hotel (on the Western Side of Bowery).

RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo

NOT THE BEST BUT SAFE AND CHEAP.

by written on October 19, 2005

WHEN I CAME TO WHITE HOUSE HOTEL IT WASN'T WHAT I EXPECTED. I STAYED IN THE DORMS AND COULDN'T SLEEP WELL AS I OFTEN KEPT HEARING OTHER PEOPLE SNORING AND THE ROOMS WERE VERY CRAMPED TOO. HOWEVER, THE SECURITY WAS GOOD AND OTHER SERVICES THEY PROVIDED WAS A PUBLIC TELEPHONE, ATM CASH MACHINE, INTERNET ACCESS, DRINKS VENDING MACHINE, AND ALSO CABLE TV AND FRIDGE IN LOUNGE.

THE PLACE WASN'T EXACTLY A FANCY PLACE TO STAY IN BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING IF YOU LOOKING FOR A CHEAP PLACE TO STAY IN.

THE AGE GROUP OF GUESTS WAS PREDOMINATELY 18-24.

Unique Quality: THIS HOSTEL WAS A SAFE SECURE TO BE IN AS THE DOORWAY TO THE ROOMS WAS ELECTRONICALLY LOCKED AND COULD ONLY BE OPENED BY THE RECEPTIONIST. YOU CAN STORE YOUR FOOD IN THE FRIDGE PROVIDED IN THE LOUNGE PROVIDED YOU MARK YOUR NAME ON IT TO IDENTIFY WHO'S ITEMS BELONG TO WHO. THE LOUNGE WITH THE CABLE TV WAS A GOOD PLACE TO CHILL PROVIDING NOT MANY PEOPLE WERE USING IT.

Just Cheap...

by written on May 29, 2005

I stayed there many times before moving to NYC. Here is just cheap. If you really want to save some money with backpacks, this hostel would be great for you. There is no big wall between other rooms. You will hear some noise... The hostel is 24 hours open, and location is great to hang out with until the late at night... People who work here are nice, as well.

Unique Quality: Cheap, 24 hours open, great location

StuartDuncan's Profile Photo

Budget at a cost that's not financial

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 18, 2004

It's cheap. Lets get that out of the way first. At $32 a night inluding taxes you're not gong to find anywhere in Manhatten that's cheaper.
You step off the subway at Bleeker St., then it's only 2 blocks across to The Bowery and the Whitehouse Hostel.
Stepping into the lobby, with a internet ready computer and a spacious hall with drinks machine, it looks like you've hit the jackpot.
Pay for your 'room' (I'll explain the inverted commas in a tick) and you're taken up a flight of impossibly steep stairs to the dormitory room. The hostel sells itself on the premise that you get your own private space and is therefore superior to other hostels. While this is true to the letter, your private space is a 2 metre by 1 metre coffin consisting of the bed running the whole length of the 'room' a built in cupboard facing the door and just about enough space left over to dress/ undress and get into bed. The showers are communal. When the hostel is at all busy the chance of getting one of the three cubicles in the morning is somewhere between remote and non-existant. Even where you do, the water is tepid at best and the floor is invariably soaked.
As I started, it's cheap. For once in New York, the old adage that you get what you pay for is eerily accurate.
That said, it does enable you to do a week in New York including flight for under £500. Just don't expect any creature comforts.

Unique Quality: Road immediately outside the always open dorm windows is The Bowery @ Cooper Square. Imagine your main road at rushhour all night long.

Directions: East Greenwich Village

Nearby Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

3 Photos of Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews