Broadway Hotel and Hostel

230 West 101 Street, (at 101st Street and Broadway), New York City, New York, 10025, United States

Booking.com HostelBookers.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• ScottHurl's Profile Photo

Good hostel

I stayed at Broadway Hotel and Hostel on 100th avenue. The place was well kept and affordable. When you take the subway it is cheaper to get the $8 card from the metro machine

Unique Quality: Made for younger people who just want to be. They have movies playing all day in lobby.

Directions: Upper West side.

More about Broadway Hotel and Hostel

Do Not Stay Here!!! Go Somewhere Else!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tragedymattie

This place was an absolute nightmare. The front desk staff was extremely unprofessional and rude. One girl made us wait while she did her hair. Another refused to give me my room key after I complained about the security guy being unprofessional. We were rudely woken up by a security guy at 5am who accused my girlfriend and I of meddling with a lady's things and then when confronted the following morning LIED about my girlfriend and I sleeping in the same bed when he woke us up (which is supposedly against policy). We were on opposite sides of the room from each other each on a top bunk in a room with 6 other people that witnessed everything and he STILL lied about it. The "lounge" area (still under construction but not noted on the site) is small enough to accommodate maybe 20 of a possible 300 guests they boast they have beds for. Most of the accommodations on the site aren't even accurate. The beds were basically a piece of foam covering springs so it was the WORST night's sleep ive ever experienced. My bed wasnt even equipped with a blanket. The place is just light years away different from what their site makes it out to be. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER COMING HERE...

Don't be fooled by the website!!

by TripAdvisor Member sazzle82

Do not take any notice of the website, the hostel looks nothing like this. Unprofessional and unhelpful desk staff the lobby looked like a building site and smelt like sick. As soon as we got out the cab we were approached 2 people asking for money, we did not feel safe at all. We spent the rest of our stay at the YMCA.

Does exactly what it says and I'm well pleased

by TripAdvisor Member alistairmartin710

Was there over for 7days over St.Patricks day. Yes I'm Irish, it does exactly what it promises full stop. Its in a safe trendy part of Westside and the building has a feeling of goodwill. Its clean, curteous staff and definatley worth any grade price you choose. I'll say once more IT DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT PROMISES FULL STOP. I'm well happy.

the photos don't always correspond to the reality!! beware !

by TripAdvisor Member superdur1

we stayed there for 6 nights in april 2008,
we had planned our trip to new york long ago and booked this room in november 07 via internet (hostel.com)
but when we arrived : big problems !
first, the receptionnist tried to put us in a dorm for 4 people...whereas we had booked "a private room for 2"...!!
then, he kindly proposed us a horrible room for 2 but so tiny with an almost broken window, broken heating and bunk bed...really it looked like a prison cell !
so we had to wait for at least 25 min for him to find something else.!
in fact, the price and type of room booked online did not correspond at all to the reality : we had to pay more than 100$ more per night to get the room we actually wanted ! and we lost our deposit thanks to the incompetence of the receptionnist !
so the lovely pictures and photos only correspond to the most expensive rate..good to know!

tiny tiny room

by TripAdvisor Member silysal

I stayed there 7 nights in a double room, what means that I was there only with my husband and my baby of 11 months old.

If you are trlaveling with children or a baby, I would recomend to stay in a private room with private bathroom. I really do not know how it looks, but for the price I guess it would be ok.

We paid 617 dlls for 7 nights, the room is really little, and there is just the two levels bed, tiny bed, and the thing to wash your hands. There is not even a table or something to put your things, but well, for the amount we paid, I wouldnt complain a lot.

If you are traveling without children, I would recomend it.
The location is great, you just have to take the bus around the corner and can get to times square, central park and every place you want. There is a subway station really close, about 3 blocks.

The hotel is clean, and they change the sheets every day.

What I can tell you is that a hotel in NY is really expensive, so for the price we paid it was ok, but not confortable at all.

Besides, I am not planning to go back to NY because it is not what I expected, unfortunatelly people is really rude and zero hospitalarius.

There are many restaurants and stores close to the hotel, if you stay there you have to go to metro cafe, it is really good.

Mouse in Room - ate all our chocolate!

by TripAdvisor Member naphill

The location of the hotel is really good, located on the Broadway close to a subway station. You can be anywhere in Manhattan within 10-25minutes.

The rooms are ok, much less nice than the pictures u will see from the lobby which is quite nice.

they have free hotspot for internet which is also quite nice.

but beware of the mice in this hotel! We had one in our room that sneaked into our bags and ate the chocolate we had brought as gifts for many people. we could all throw it away because obviously you can not give a chocolate with mice bites in it, can you. I saw another mouse in the hotel lobby.

obviously we reported but the staff at the hotel didn't even offer refunding nor where they willing to give us a better rate. they came up with a mice trap but I don't really think it ever worked.

one part of the staff was very nice, but another one totally imcompetent. when asking for a hospital they didn't know one, had to look it up and then gave the me a hospital which turned out to be a nursery!

overall if you can bear the mice it's ok, but don't take any food in your room or you'll have a very bad experience.

cheap and definately ok!

by TripAdvisor Member sweety2707

Broadway hotel and hostel was an ok hostel. It is nothing really fancy but we didn't pay a lot for it either, so I can't complain. We had great roommates and had a lot of fun there. The subway is just 2 blocks away and not far from the city center if you are going by subway!
the negative things were definitely that the rooms were too small!!! but other than that it was a cheap place to stay for backpackers or just to spend the night there. don't expect too much! but at least the elevator worked! also there is a pizza place on the other side of the road and a little shop where you can buy phone cards and beverages at night if you are getting thirsty, so we had pretty much everything we needed.

so if you are looking just for a place to crash, then it is definitely a good and cheap place.

!!LOVED IT!!!! GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!! NICE & FRIENDLY STAFF!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member GabrielaLake

My three daughters ages 6, 8 and 14 decided to do a spring break girls road trip to NY. In the past, everywhere we have travelled we have stayed in 5-star/luxury resorts, but since we knew we were only going to be going to our rooms to sleep while in NY I decided to book a cheap hotel and use the money instead for sightseeing, shopping... After days of research I decided to book a 4 bed room with shared bathroom at the Broadway Hote N Hostel. After reading the mixed reviews I called the hotel and spoke with the manager, Jerome, and I explained to him my concerns since this was a new experience for us. He was truly wonderful in understanding my apprehension and answered all of my questions. He was great and after speaking with him I felt good about my decision.

We arrived early around 1PM and had trouble finding the place, so I called and the doorman went to each corner looking for me, and found me 1 block away. Since I arrived before 3 I could not check in but a room was assigned to us. I was lucky to find parking a few feet from the hotel, so I parked the car and walked 2 blocks (about 1-2 minute walk) to the subway and went to the museum. When we came back around 6 we were able to check in, and Jerome came out and introduced himself and we went to our room.

ROOM : We had a 4-bdr shared bathroom with a sink/mirror-nothing more-, this was a basic hostel room, not a private room, so if you want more than that book a private room. It was clean, great view, the beds were comfortable, with clean linen. The kids loved it!!!-and we paid less then $100 a night for all four of us-you can not beat that. The room was cleaned everyday and the beds were made with new, clean bedding. The room was quite with no noise other then the traffic from the street. We did not see any mice running around, however, do keep in mind that this is NY and rodents are a BIG problem in all of NY, particularly in older buildings, and if you do see a mice it should not reflect on the hotel, but just accept it as being NY. The bathrooms were clean and not once did we have to wait to use it. The showers had good water pressure with plenty of hot water.

HOTEL: The downstairs is great, clean, and quite appealing, not elegant, but comfortable in a hip, chic type of way. There's a kitchen area to eat, a movie room and a computer room, all with comfortable leather lunge chairs, and two "fireplace mantels". Very nice.

STAFF: Truly, they were all great, every single one. When I inquired about the movies, they offered to put one on for kids since what they had on the schedule were all for adults- I declined as I did not feel it was fair to the rest of the people staying there to see a kids movies, just because of my 3 kids, but never the less, it was very thoughtful of the staff to offer. They were great giving directions and recommendations. The doormen were always very friendly, attentive and talkative.

LOCATION: I felt totally safe walking at all hours and taking the subway which is just a 1-2 minute walk. Not once did I feel unsafe. There are tons of restaurants and little shops all around. This place is so close to everything, central park, time square, the zoo, museum... you name it.

PARKING: If you drive around you will find somewhere to park on the street, just be patient.

GUEST: The guest I saw was a mix of people in their 20's, 30's and 40+, and a few small kids. Everyone seemed nice and clean. I did not see any unsavory characters.

OVERALL: We had a great time, loved the place. location and the staff. We will stay here every time we come to NY- (spring break). I believe that the negative reviews are really from people who are staying at a hostel, paying hostel prices but expect hotel rooms, and even then, due to lack of space, as is the case in London, NY rooms are typically small, unless you stay at a luxury hotel. So if you don’t have unrealistic expectations you will not be disappointed.

Great value, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member SamsonToronto

Went there, expecting not too much. As a seasoned hostel stayer, I was expecting a lot less friendliness from the staff. The design of the hostel is nice, and the amenities looked/were clean. Location is on the 1 train, close to a lot of tourist attractions, and other train lines. Good value for the money.

please Help - looking for a place to stay

by redhatholden

I need to find a really cheap place to stay with my friend in New York, NY that accepts cash and doesn't require reservations. I only have my credit card and student ID with me and i don't drive so i don't have a drivers license. Can anybody help me out?

Re: please Help - looking for a place to stay

by Travmad

Try couchsurfing.com

Re: please Help - looking for a place to stay

by TPScott

The Broadway Hotel & Hostel at 101st St. & Broadway is an inexpensive hotel in NYC that's just been fully renovated. I'm not sure what their current rates are, but I know they're usually substantially less than what you'll pay elsewhere for a smaller (and dirtier) room. Go to www.broadwayhotelnyc.com.

The hotel is a block away from Riverside Park and three (long) blocks away from Central Park. Columbia University is about 9 blocks away, as is the world's largest cathedral, St. John the Divine. Times Square is about 7 minutes away on the subway, which you can pick up easily at 103rd & Broadway.

Hope this helps - enjoy your visit!
____________________