1155 Broadway, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Hidden gem in the heart of Manhattan

Stayed there with friends from France for three days in July 2006. Rooms are large and clean, very basic continental breakfast served in a tiny and crowded room. Renovated, staff exteemely nice and helpful. Location is perfect, wlaking distance from everything. And at an amazing price $160US. for two couples. Discounted parking three blocks away.

Unique Quality: Very central, lousy view, area a bit seedy. Great cheapo shopping around. No frills, just a great room with great beds and washroom.

Directions: MIdtown, corner of 26th and Broadway

More about Broadway Plaza Hotel

Not Bad for the Money

by TripAdvisor Member azzure

As others have noted, the area is "colorful" - chock-a-block with street vendors during the day, and black plastic trash bags at night. However, the vendors are not insistent; a polite "no thanks" is all that's needed. These are not panhandlers! As for the hotel, the staff was very pleasant, and our room on the 11th floor was clean, quiet and boasted views from all four big windows of the Empire State Building. Quite impressive. The room furnishings were motel-standard, and the a/c worked very well. Next time I go to NYC I will probably try to find something in a sllightly more upscale environment, (maybe on a street with a couple of trees on it!), but the Broadway Plaza is a good value in my opinion.

Fantastic Hotel!! Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Mayothamayo

My two sisters and I recently spent three pleasant nights at the Broadway Plaza between 25.03.04 and 28.03.04. We arrived before the 3pm check-in time and the people at the front desk, after trying to get us into our room but being unable to, our bags were safely stored away, to be taken up to our room on our return. On coming back from sightseeing, we checked in and were pleasantly surprised that the room was very similar to what was shown in the brochure. The differences being there wasn't a bucket of champagne on ice or flowers in the bathroom - we clearly weren't bothered about that.
The room was clean, tidy, very spacious and had a lovely view of The Empire State Building. There was an ice bucket, glass tumblers, rails to hang your clothes up on and a (working) large TV with cable. The porters were charming and extremely helpful (you can book tours and airport cars through them). Okay, 27th Street is not the nicest, but you are only about 2 blocks from Macy's and the area was as crowded as some of the other reviews led me to believe.
Breakfast in the morning was great - bagels, donuts, muffins, danish pastries, coffee, apple and orange juice available to drink as well in the dinky little breakfast room if you don't wish to go back to your room to eat.
The staff were always helpful and courteous and all in all, we couldn't have wished for more for the price we paid. I'd recommend the Broadway Plaza to anyone, in fact, if all goes to plan and I return to New York in 6 months time, I'll definitely book back in to the Broadway Plaza.

A great base

by TripAdvisor Member lnorton01

We stayed here for 10 nights in January 2003 and were extremely happy with our choice of hotel. This being our first trip to New York we had no idea what to expect - what areas were good or bad, what hotel was best for sightseeing or what was best value for money...the one overwhelming piece of advice that we did get though was 'whatever the bargain, do not stay at the Pennsylvania!' We settled on The Broadway Plaza mainly because they did a very good deal and although some were undecided most descriptions of the place claimed it was a 3* hotel (it now seems to be 2-3*). The staff were lovely from the start although the concierge and receptionist eyed us suspiciously when they noted we were staying there for 10 days - it was the middle of January after all, hardly peak season and more importantly it was unbelieveably cold. The rooms were a good size, the decor plain but it all seemed very clean and the cleanliness was maintained by staff daily. Breakfasts were not included in the price but every morning during our visit, coffee, bagels and pastries were laid out for guests in a small kitchen on one of the floors. (The hotel was previously an office block- hence the large rooms and kitchen area). There were also several vending machines in the building for jet lag-induced cravings in the middle of the night. The location was not, on first appearance, the most touristy or even safe looking but we quickly got used to it and had a good view of the Empire State from our bedroom. The location eventually worked in our favour. As it was fairly central we saved even more money and walked everywhere. Downtown to the Financial District takes no more than 30 minutes and following Broadway uptown to Times Square takes much less, we also walked from the hotel to a Knicks game and back at Madison Square Garden in 10 mins each way. When we did get the subway, it was right nextdoor. We couldn't have asked for more from our money. The Broadway Plaza is not flash or even tries to be but it does provide you with a more spacious and cheaper base than most to explore the magnificence of New York City. (One tip- for a full, hearty breakfast try the diner on the corner of 28th and 5th and gorge yourself on their delicious pancakes.)

Excellent Value!!

Like some other reviewers, my girlfriend and I initially thought 'where is the lobby?' Then we found it, just walk past the little desk around the corner and you find a big desk with smiling, friendly people manning it!

When we got to our room, we were stunned. We booked a king sized bed and that was precisely what we got, plus a desk, dresser, private bathroom and table with chairs. Bigger than my loungeroom at home! We didn't get a good view, but who wants to spend time looking out a window?

The only worry I had was that the showers next door could be heard at night. eh, a small problem. And the neighbourhood is fun. We walked all the way down Broadway in the middle of the night a felt fine. Give it a shot!!!

Fantastic stay

Stayed May 17 & 18, 2004. Booked online without having the luxury of seeing the place, so we were a bit taken back by it's initial appearance. I even called and tried to cancel my reservation because to be quite honest, we were a bit freaked out. The neighborhood was not what I expected and the lobby...well there wasn't really a lobby to speak of. However, the very courteous staff talked me out of cancelling by painting a little different picture of the neighborhood and I'm so glad. Our room was on the 13th floor and we didn't have any neighbors at all. The view was terrific...Empire State and Chrysler. But even better than those, the surrounding appartment buildings with their water towers and gigantic advertisements on the sides gave the flavor of an authentic NYC stay. We felt absolutely safe and loved our accomodations. Big room, granite (or marble?) floors, big bed. And all very clean. If you want the luxury touristy thing, book something in Times Square and pay a bunch of money. But if you want a clean, safe, close to everything authentic place to crash, this is it. I'll be coming back for sure. Email me for pictures.

Nice Room

I found the hotel to be quite nice for $150. My room was rather big and clean. The neighborhood is not very scenic, but is safe and close to things. The one thing to note is that the lobby initially is very small and you need to walk to the end to see the registration desk.

What a Great Place!

by TripAdvisor Member dsikula

What a great place! The neighborhood seemed a little dicey at first, but it's lively and crowded and very New York and very safe. My room was huge, immaculate, and quiet with great views and (more importantly) a great shower. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The hotel is walking distance to anywhere - and do walk if you get the chance; it's the best way to experience the city - and if you can't walk to where you're going, the subway is only a block away. I'll definitely stay there again.

Will Return!

This hotel was recommended my by sis-n-law. It's definitely a keeper! It is only steps from the subway and you can walk in either direction to good shopping and sites. It's like an average Days Inn (so, only 4 stars) but it's a very clean place and the location is superb! There's a pizzeria right next door! Outside our window was a neat view of the street life below. We will definitely return to Broadway!

hotels new york city

by sinatrafan

hi all.

looking for honest information on staying in the following hotels for my trip to nyc on my own, in may
broadway plaza
clarion
skyline
beekman tower
pensylvania
metropolitan...are they clean? are they central to attractions?....which one do you rate the best ,any help would be appreciated..thanks

by 10028

The only one I'm at all familiar with is the Pennsylvania, because it's notorious for being a DUMP! I suggest you compare reviews on www.tripadvisor.com.

Do you have a particular neighborhood in mind?

Before you book a budget hotel, you might consider using priceline.com. I've met people who've gotten great 4-star hotels for around $150.

As to finding something central to attractions -- first, our "attractions" are not in one location, they're all over the place. Second, what you really want is to be convenient to public transportation so you can zip around town easily. Most tourists stay in the Times Square area because it's pretty central and there's great subway / bus access. Well-reviewed budget hotels in the area are the Belvedere and Edison. You might also consider the Upper West Side, which is an upscale residential neighborhood with fabulous shops and restaurants. You'll also get a great feel for being a New Yorker, and won't be tripping over the other zillion tourists. Compare these hotels: Beacon, Belleclaire, Excelsior, Lucerne, On the Ave.

by nanapie7

My friend has just come back from staying the Pennsylvania, and would NEVER go back. She said it was filthy and smelt so bad. floors were so dirty she couldnt walk on them bare foot. They allow pets and it showed big time. My advice .....stay away from this hotel. dont know anything about the others.

by Shoom

Have you tried looking for an hotel via...

I always use this site for booking our NYC trips....I can recommend the Novotel on 52nd and Broadway, plus booking through this site guarantees you a stunning Time Square view !!

No harm in taking a look ;o)

Steve...

Re: Re: hotels new york city

by sinatrafan

thanks steve, i'll give it a go

by mtshastafam

I've stayed in the Broadway Plaza. It was a nice hotel. Clean with friendly staff. It is centrally located near the Empire State Building. The neighborhood may look scary but was totally cool. I was there with my grandchildren and felt totally comfortable. It is one block to the subway.

Comments