Candy Hostel

AMOMA.com Despegar.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Another Cheap Option

On the Upper West Side, right by 96th St Subway (Line 1, 2 or 3), is the Cancy Hostel.

Compared to the other budget options I have used, this was bright, clean, more fun and better located.

Internet is available ($1 per 10 mins), also has lockers that fit huge bags in ($5 per 24 hours).

Room was clean, big enough, light, air con, tv.

My only concerns.... Miserable staff of reception (won't give change for lockers)

A couple had their room broken into when they had left the window open.

But that could happen anywhere.

If you read reviews on this place, it is a real mixed bag. However, being realistic, for $50 a night, what more do you want? This place is great

Directions: Subway 96th St, 2 blocks from there

More about Candy Hostel

Loved the Candy Hostel

by TripAdvisor Member WORLD_TRAVELER1989

I stayed at the Candy Hostel for 2 nights on Oct 23-Oct 25. I was worried at first about staying in a hostel.I did a lot of research on tripadvisor and found the candy to be best priced and overal rated. It was a little confusing at first cause the taxi couldnt find my the address listed on the tripadvisor website.And when we got to the hostel I guess I went in the back entrance because the lady at the desk said the candy was behind us and i had to walk over a bridge thing from the building I came in to the basement of the candy.I went up the elevator and my worries were washed away when I arrived.It was a very nice lobby the staff were very friendly and helpful.I didn't have a reservation and was hopeful they had rooms.They did in fact and it was 11am so check in wasn't for 4 hours.But having just arrieved from a 16 hour bus ride i just wanted a room to lye down and a shower.So the guy at the front desk said if I hung around for 30 min I could get room. So I went and watched the plasma t.v in the lounge witch was amazing and had a hot chocolate from the machine for FREE(the man repairing it said he was testing it out).25 min later and I was in my room.It was a small private room very clean and had airconditioning witch was a bonus since it was very hot at night.The bathroom were no problem at all.Yes there are shared but the they were always cleaned 2 times a day and never busy. The atmosphere was very positive at the candy.The staff were very helpful and kind.Always going out of there way to make you fell welcome.I will definitly be going back. THANKS CANDY HOSTEL.

No longer a hostel virgin

by TripAdvisor Member Natalie41

Have just come back from NYC and stayed at the Candy Hostel for 3 nights. This was the first hostel i stayed in and was a little nervous after reading the reviews. However I have def not been put off by the hostel and it provided the basic things needed. Room included a doulbe bed, shelf on wall and mirror. Bathroom was shared by 5 rooms.

Pros: Clean enough rooms with fresh towels everyday, great price - paid £140 for the 3 days compared to £700 other hotels were charging, good subway links - went straight to times square, computers in reception which you can access the internet from for $2 per 20 minutes.

Cons: Last day lots of people were leaving so we had to wait awhile to get into the bathroom, no TV's in room (although advertised that it would), location was alittle out of the way and had to get cab or subway to and from town.

In this place def get what you pay for....not very much. Would highly recommend for travellers who are just looking for a place to crash and in New York you will be so busy thats all you really need!!!

What you would expect, given the price

by TripAdvisor Member beckiemcbooger

Considering how cheap Candy Hostel is, I would say it sufficed. Surely there must be a few better hostels in Manhattan but it was basically fine. The room was tiny. Sometimes the bathrooms in our hallway were not clean but you can always go to the other hallways in search of a clean one. We had some food in plastic wrappings on the floor and a mouse came and chewed through the wrappers at night, waking us up. However once we moved the trash out into the hall and put the food up high, he didn't come back. This might sound appalling but given that it is an old large New York apartment building I did not find it particularly surprising. The neighborhood is safe and it's near the 1-2 subway. So, if you are easygoing and value cheapness above all else, yes to Candy. If you are high-maintenance, you should come to terms with how expensive it is to stay in a real hotel in Manhattan and make plans accordingly.

Good enough for somewhere to crash

by TripAdvisor Member CambridgeLadUK

Stayed here from the 14th to the 19th november. went out on my own and knowin i would have a busy week just needed a cheap bed somewhere,
and got that here for $72/£36 ppn. took the directions i had to get here best bet however best bet is to get the number 1 subway to 94th st as its only 2 mins from teh hotel (v handy)and about 5 mins from times sq. Bed was ok to sleep on but corridor was v noisy in the early
hours but found the best way to accomodate that was to have the tv on all night then you didnt pay attention to al the other noise. only gripe is i got a few bites on me, but other than that this hostel more
than met my needs for a base to one of the greatest weeks of my life, New york is an amazing city so u never really need to be at the hostel
unless sleeping. and to be honest if all you want is a basic accomodation to stay at i would recomend this place if you are on a budget like i was.

Convenient and Adventurous

by TripAdvisor Member vtbiker

We're a couple close to fifty that were seeking an inexpensive place to stay in Manhattan. Although we have stayed in B&B's we had never stayed in a hostel before. We found the staff to be quite friendly and accomodating. We did not have high expectations for the room, and it met them. It was quite basic - clean bed, a TV, and a closet with no hangers. Wireless access was available in the lounge off the main lobby and a pool table could be had downstairs. We did not experience any problems with noise as a previous poster had. The location was very convenient with Broadway one and a half blocks away. The walk to Central Park and the Metropolitam Museum of Art was quite reasonable. All in all, the Candy had the feel and funk of the Chelsea Hotel being spiffed up for travellers.

Clean, affordable place to stay in Manhattan

by TripAdvisor Member NotYourBroom

We wanted a cheap place to stay in NYC that didn't have all of those problems cheap places to stay in NYC have - bed bugs, roaches, mice, rats, who know what. And that is exactly what we found. We rented a private double room for $100 a night. The room was small but clean, with new-looking carpet. We were lucky enough to be next to two bathrooms, which were clean but we wore our flip flops anyway just to be safe. There is a TV, which is unexpected since it's a hostel. Our expectations were low and we got everything we needed.

The only problem is that we booked it through Hostels.com 1.5 months in advance, since the Candy doesn't seem to have their own website. Then we called one week before and they didn't have our reservation. The guy on the phone assured me we'd have a room if we had reservations for it, but I didn't want to take his word as final, so I faxed the reservation anyway. When we arrived, our reservation was in the system, so it worked out. I've seen this comment from other people that booked through Hostels.com, so just make sure you call in advance because you don't want to be left without a room.

My first experience of a youth hostel and it hasn't put me off!

by TripAdvisor Member HolidaysLazyDays

Stayed at the Candy for three nights and was concerned by some of the reviews but was actually quite impressed. Never stayed in a hostel before and being a bit of a hygiene freak I wasn't looking forward to it but it was clean yet basic. The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily but I took flip flops to wear in the shower. The 4 bed private room was small but fine for a short stay and we were out most of the time anyway. If I went back I think I would try a more central location but it wasn't too far out of town and the subway was just down the road. The staff were pleasant enough and we didn't experience any real noise but did take ear plugs!

Oh and girls - your GHD straighteners do work, they just don't get as hot and it takes a bit longer!

We survived.

by TripAdvisor Member Yvolus

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights.
Overall the hostel wasn't bad.
The location is great, just shorwalk to subway, and it's pretty safe neighborhood too.
But...two main problems for us during the stay;
One: no hangers for us to hang clothes, we had to put our clothes on a broken chair. And the window blinds are much shorter than the window, so we had to use towel as blinds to cover the rest.
Second: we stayed on 3rd floor, although there are two bathrooms on our side, but it's constantly dirty. Mostly it's because of the tenant #321(We believe that he lives there.). I noticed that EVERYTIME he went to the bathroom, he'll leave a mess, he smokes in there and leaves ashes in the tub and toilet seat, he'll also peed all over the seat cover and ground as well. he also dont clean up after himself after shower, you can see alot of his hair all over the tub. It's quite a hassel to go to 2nd floor to pee everytime. So I strongly suggest that dont stay at the same side as #321. You will regret a big time.

I would go back and stay at Candy again, only if I get my own private bathroom this time.

Stay in a Matchbox instead

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoTravelJunkie

As a frequent hosteler, my main complaints are with the
Size
I have lived in hostels before (even in NYC itself) and have yet to see a smaller room claimed to be a double room. Unless you are okay with falling off the bed every time you move an inch (or are two 3rd grade kids and willing to share a room this size), do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. 'tiny' is an understatement.

Cleanliness
I agree with the reviewer above regarding the cleanliness of bathrooms (and not surprised with the couldn't-care-less attitude of the management as is visible from their reply below).
If you are good at holding-it-in, I'd say go for Candy!!

NEW YORK ACCOMODATION

by theworld12

HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE CANDY HOSTEL 316 WEST 95th STREET.
IS IT ANYGOOD £40 UK A NIGHT.
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO STAY.

Re: NEW YORK ACCOMODATION

by timessquare

www.hostelz.com

when are you here?

Re: NEW YORK ACCOMODATION

by stephen.g

Hello to find a good hotel at a good price go to http://passport2.worldventures.com and enter "your city name" under Hotel search and check button that searches by price, it will come up with all hotels listed by best price. Good luck on your travels.

Comments