222 West 23rd Street, New York City, New York, 10011, United States

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Poor

• twilightmuse's Profile Photo

Rock n" Roll History

My husband and I went to NYC in Sept from the 1st-5th. We couldn't pass up the chance to stay at the famous Chelsea Hotel. For those who are unaware of it's history it has been a host to a slew of famous writers, artists and musicians from the 60's onwards. People like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, writer Jim Carroll from the Basketball Diaries, Leonard Cohen, the Ramones and most known for the Sid and Nancy debacle ( if your into punk).

First off when I was exploring hotels for our trip - NYC is expensive! The Chelsea room rates are extremely reasonable- we paid $135/night with a shared bathroom. Our room came equipped with a sink and cabinet and the bathroom was outside our door down the hall a bit. They also have larger rooms with kitchenettes for families or extended stays and private bathrooms as well. We didn't find there to be an issue with sharing a bathroom as it was only with one other room, and we never ran into any problems with seeing anyone in the halls or having to wait for the room.

Our room was right under the famous Chelsea sign as seen in the movie for Sid and Nancy, overlooking the street. The room was very clean and the bed was comfy. The hotel itself is a tad run down but more for the option of posterity rather then sluminess. The walls in the hallways are dedicated to portraits of the celebrites that have stayed there and other artists giving it a very funky feel. The larger rooms are each painted up with funky themes as well. There is a big debate right now on renevating the entire hotel and people feel that this would be a great loss to the history of an era and New York itself. I agree. When I think of New York I immediately think of the Chelsea hotel.

If your going to the hotel with the intent of anything to do with Sid and Nancy - don't bother. The rooms they used no longer exist ( we asked). But for ghost hunters this hotel definitly has the feel of some presence. The elevator doors opened at random with no one on them or in the hallways, we saw weird shadows on the balcony and there were weird wind rattlings on the upper floors. Spooky but fun.

The location is very central to lots of goings on in the city. When we first arrived in the city we spent the first night up near the museum of modern history and discovered that everything we wanted to see neighbouhood wise was in the lower end of the city. From the Chelsea we walked to the neighbouhoods of: Soho, Noho, Greenwich village and the east village. The higher the street number the farther away everything is from Times Square which is 42nd street. The chelsea is at 23rd street and we walked to Time's Square each night from there.

Unique Quality: *Very artistic in nature. Perfect for artists, writers and musicians and lovers thereof.

Directions: Chelsea district

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Bohemia-central

This iconic New York hotel has been permanent residence to many artistic celebrities, ranging from O. Henry to Arthur Miller to Ethan Hawke and beyond. In late 1978, Sid Vicious, of the group Sex Pistols, awoke at the Chelsea to find his girlfriend Nancy Spungen dead next to him of a drug overdose. Bob Dylan immortalized the hotel in song. It has been the site of celebrity murders and mysteries. Not only is it historical but it is definitely one of a kind. The marquee-like sign out front reminds you of a WW II-era movie theater and if you had never heard of the place, the exterior facade would not be likely to entice you inside and the registration area is even less alluring. The rooms, however, are spacious, especially by New York standards and it is said that no two are alike. The elevators may be the oldest ones still in use. It is feared by many that the "iconic" part may soon disappear, however. A major renovation has recently been announced which many within the community feel will seriously dilute the character and unique qualities of the Chelsea. I am one of the myriad of fans who hope that this is not the case. Many accomodations are suites and even have kitchenettes which helps to account for the fact that about 2/3rds of Chelsea guests are long-term residents. My particular room had an ample sitting area but not a separate room with area rugs and hardwood floors and there was more room in my bath than there was in the first New York hotel where I stayed just before my first trip to Europe. I simply cannot get used to New York prices but other than the price, I enjoyed my stay very much.
    They have internet access in the rooms and WiFi in the lobby and the halls are decorated with artworks created by some of the residents.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Unique Hotel - Full Of Characters

We did not stay in this hotel but it was about 300 metres from our accommodation and we went down to check it out. It lived up to what we had been told, a little different and a lot of history.
    Upon entering the premises you will be amazed by the decoration or "art" that greets you. Our niece and husband lived in New York for 18 months and their first night's accommodation was at this hotel, they said to expect some weird characters , so we made our visit early in the day.
    The hotel is famous for the artists and writers who have lived here over the years, they are a "Whos Who" of the industry.

Directions: Chelsea District

• stevieUK's Profile Photo

Hotel with a difference

Great hotel. TV, bathroom but not the place to go if you want sky, room service or minibars. Don't expect a plush hotel or any great interest in you to be shown by the staff.
    But it is a must place to go and stay at least once.
    We dropped in here having spent a couple of less nights in a very cheap hotel on 77nd street. To be fare the main reason for moving was to be more central.
    Place is filled with paintings and other art work - largely from people that have lived in the place over the years I guess.
    Central, friendly in an odd way, cluttered oh and they do a great selection of hotel T-shirts - again designed by residents.

Unique Quality: Laid back atmosphere. Hotel is half filled with resident artists, writers etc.
    The whole hotel has an atmosphere quite different to any other I've been to around the world.
    Numerous claims to fame such as Andy Warhol making a film here (a good friend of the current manager who's been here since year dot) and Sid Viscious killing his girlfried in one of the rooms (now subdivided into a number of other rooms I believe).
    Other examples include Clarke writing "2001: A Space Odyssey" while staying here, Janice Joplin, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Donald Sutherland, Dylan Thomas, Arthur Miller ...

Directions: Not far from Empire State and Madison Square Gardens.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Rock and Roll History in Midtown

The Chelsea probably has the biggest reputation in Manhattan. Home to musicians, artists, actors, writers, and more, this midtown hotel continues to thrive on creativity. It features a gallery in the lobby, quirky rooms, and tiny elevators that you'll share with 'interesting' people. This is also a residential hotel.

Feel the presence of rock's past in this New York institution.

Directions: Flatiron/Chelsea district

• SNEAKS's Profile Photo

Sleep Where Legends Have

The final resting place of Sid Vicious. Once you enter the lobby of the Hotel Chelsea, the ghosts of New York's past take over. The hotel was built in 1884, and many of NY's most famous writers, musicians and artists have either stayed or lived at the hotel. They include: Janis Joplin, Andy Warhol (lived), Bob Dylan, Thomas Wolfe, William Burroughs (lived), Jimi Hendrix, Dylan Thomas, and of course, Sid Vicious. As of today, as many as 225 of the 400 rooms are occupied full-time.

Unique Quality: Each room has a history of it's own. When you enter you will notice the lobby is filled with original paintings donated by previous tenants. The hotel offers valet parking, 24 hr. room service and a bar, Serena.

Directions: Chelsea

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

Rates:

Single rooms: $135 to $250 per night
    Doubles rooms: $165 to $275 per night
    Twin rooms: $185 to $300 per night
    Suites: $300 to $350 per night

Unique Quality: In the fabled Chelsea district of NY, lies one of the most written about hotels in the world. Built in 1882, the Chelsea was a favorite of Mark Twain, as well as frequented by Thomas Wolfe, Brendan Behan, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Dylan Thomas. ( D. Thomas died a few blocks away at the White Horse Tavern- last words: 'seventeen whiskies...a record-I think'. William S. Burroughs wrote Naked Lunch there.
    In the sixties, the Chelsea became the temporary home of such artists as Janis Joplin, the Stones, and Leonard Cohen (who wrote a song about a get together with Joplin in the Hotel after she died, Chelsea Hotel #2), and where Bob Dylan wrote 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'. In the seventies, it became a place for punk bands to visit, most noteably the place where Sid Viscious killed Nancy.

More about Chelsea Hotel

CHELSEA HOTEL - a famous, fun...

by Pinoy

CHELSEA HOTEL - a famous, fun hotel that has an amazing history but is short on creature comforts.
US$150 - US$349 In the lobby, artwork from tenants covers the walls and hangs from the ceiling. The Chelsea is largely residential today, but has about 70 hotel rooms as well.

Rock n" Roll History

by twilightmuse about Chelsea Hotel

If I go back to NYC I am definitly staying here again. The staff was pleasant (as long as you don't ask about Sid and Nancy- because they hate that) and the hotel was a good story to tell. *Very artistic in nature. Perfect for artists, writers and musicians and lovers thereof.

Don't stay here!!

by TripAdvisor Member LoveNY42

Awful experience! We had a credit card-secured reservation for a 2 night stay for a room with private bath, and they stuck us in a cramped, dingy room with a shared bath on the hall that didn't even have a lock until we asked for one. The night manager said that there was a guest that was still in our private room that was sick and couldn't be moved, which turned out to be untrue.

The next morning when we asked to be moved to a private room, they acted like they were doing us a favor. They offered no price concessions on either night. Their attitude was that it's Christmas time and good luck finding another hotel vacancy in Manhattan. Meanwhile, both rooms were dilapidated and noisy. We also overheard another couple say that they had the same problem as we were checking out.

If you're interested in the charm and musical history of the Hotel Chelsea, stop in during the day but for God's sake don't stay there and contribute to owners who are certainly cashing on the name at the customer's expense.

it's cool :)

by TripAdvisor Member charlesjhaughey

I'll get to the simple stuff first - the room was clean and spacious with two tall windows. it had the feel of an old room, but I'd prefer something with a bit of character to something plain and cold. the shared bathroom was always empty and completely spotless. overall I had fun staying in this hotel, even though I reckon my room was relatively dingy (in a nice way!) by comparison to other hotel rooms. would stay there again.

Hotel Chelsea, in New York CityHotel Chelsea, in New York City

The Chelsea HotelThe Chelsea Hotel

CHELSEA HOTELCHELSEA HOTEL

facade of the Chelsea hotelfacade of the Chelsea hotel

Coming to N.Y.

by Carpediem2018

Hi, everyone!I will be coming with three friends in N.Y. in a month.We have no idea where to stay in Manhattan...Do oyu have any suggestions? Have you heard of the International Students Centre? What is the accomodation like?
Thanks!!

Re: Coming to N.Y.

by IrishCailin

Hi!

I just came back from this city and am in love with the place. I stayed in the Amsterdam Inn at West 76th street and 8th Avenue. It was a good place, nice and clean and good value. However, the staff were unfriendly, one of them had major anger issues and another one came onto me while his wife was in a different room. So if you don't mind the staff problems it's a nice place to stay!

I don't know about the International Students Centre. The Chelsea hotel is also reccomended I know.

Re: Re: Coming to N.Y.

by yumiyun

I always recommend Int'l Student Center just because I liked it and it's probably the cheapest you can find in Manhatten. It's domitory style with shared bathroom. A block away from subway station.

I have a tip on Int'l Student Centre in my NY page.

cheers,