Chelsea Inn

Chelsea Inn - 17th Street
Hotels.com Hostelworld.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• stay away

Stay away. the first thing I saw in the room was to pairs of earplugs on the night table! thumping noise and lively crowd on the side walk most of the night as a huge night club is next door. My room had a renovated bathroom but it was done to very low standards. the tap handle in sink fell off and the water in the shower was only luke warm. The dollar store shower curtain was very dirty and mouldy. Mouldy smell permeated the hotel. dirty stained carpets and furniture. The furniture looked like it was found in flea markets or someones garbage. Wifi doesnt work properly. luggage storage is left unattended. when I plugged in my phone charger behind the night table there was serious dust / dirt to contend with as the room hadn't been cleaned properly in years. The paint was in bad shape. The only redeeming feature was the scone in the coffee shop below! Stay away. There are other hotels in NYC for this rate that are much cleaner. good reviews for this hotel are fake!

Unique Quality: dirt and smell were unique. I have never stayed in a hotel like this before!

Directions: east of chelsea

• Nightmare

Stupid front desk. Used Booking.com to reserve 2 rooms-they had only 1.I was forced to share the room with a partner from work.
    Room was not clean at all.Bed was old and in bad condition.Bathroom needs investment.
    STAY AWAY.

More about Chelsea Inn

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member jesmarlene

I stayed at the Chelsea Inn for two nights in April. The staff was friendly; at first, I was only staying for one night but later I decided to stay an extra night. I had to change rooms for the second night but I was able to check into both rooms early! Included with your room is breakfast downstairs at Nana's. I shared a bathroom for both nights of my stay and there was no problem with this. I only saw one person that I was sharing a bathroom with one time, on the first night. I was travelling alone. Being a single young female, I always felt safe.

The location is GREAT! From Union Square, walk to 5th Ave, then up to 17th St. and you're there! There was great shopping nearby - a Banana Republic, Gap, Anthropologie, J Crew, to name a few - and plenty of great NYC restaurants!

If you want to see "real" NYC, stay here. Also, you must remember that, by NYC standards, this hotel is cheap! If you want 5 stars, pay for it! If you want to stay in a tourist trap, go to Times Square, where you will pay $200+ per night. The hotel was cute; give it a chance!

I will definitely stay here the next time I am in the city!

You get what you pay for in NY

by TripAdvisor Member SP13

My friend and I stayed at the Chelsea Inn this past weekend for 1 night. I probably wouldn't chose to stay here for any longer than a night or 2, but it wasn't the worst experience of our lives by any means. It was the cheapest rate we could find in that area, and we didnt expect any more than what we got.
My biggest complaint would have to be the smell. I can't really describe it but it was somewhere between mildew and sewage. Our room was very clean, but was not an escape from the stink. I'm guessing it was coming from the stairs. Those stairs....... were definitley rotting and definitley a safety hazard. We lugged our suitcases up & down three very slanty flights and as I watched my friend coming down with hers I could see the stairs pulling away from the wall and the railing all the way down. We laughed it off, but I would not have wanted to be there on their last day on this earth.
Also, when we first arrived and were putting our suitcases in the storage cubby we saw a cockroach on the wall. It was the only one we saw for the rest of our stay, but my the look on my girlfriends face said it all.
The shared bathroom was no problem- we didnt even see the other guests. It was hot & had terrible lighting, but it was clean and I wasn't afraid to shower in it. Good water pressure, for people who care about that kind of thing.
Our room was small but clean, overlooking the street. We didnt have any noise issues whatsoever- from outside or from the adjoining room. Cable tv. We slept like babies.
We also found the people at the front desk accomodating and friendly. We only stayed the one night and they let us store our bags for the entire 35 hours we were in the city.
Most of all we LOVED the location. 5 minutes to Union Square, 10 blocks to Soho and under a $10 cab ride all the way up to Barney's.
However, next time we are paying the extra $50 a night for a private bath/elevator/mildew-free establishment.

Remember backpacking in the 60's?

by TripAdvisor Member Travelman1952London

More of a hostel than a hotel. The rooms are clean, but small, noisy and expensive for what it is. Also most hotels you reserve with a credit card and pay as you leave. Not here. After questioning room description and costs versus what I got, I was presented with a debit to my credit card for full 10 days! Strange. I moved 9 blocks south for a smashing room, in a nice hotel for $10 a night less. Friendly staff though.

You could do worse

Booked a five night stay here when my usual, the Larchmont on 11th St was booked up.

The Good:

Location is convenient. Very close to the 6th Av line & only a little further to 7th Av, Broadway & Lex lines. Hotel is reasonably clean, certainly enough for me. Not much noise (within the hotel). My father & I each had a room with a double bed, a separate bathroom to share & an outer door to all of this. Good for travelling in pairs. The included continental breakfast is great.

The Not-so-good:

Our bathroom was almost falling apart. Shower head was coming out of the wall, faucet handles kept falling off, and some good-sized holes around the tub. The sink in my room took around 12 hours to drain the basin, meaning that it was constantly filled with the water I used last night to brush my teeth, etc. I mentioned this on the first morning and they said they would look at it...nothing done though. Payment upfront was surprising as was the fact that the desk is only open 10-12 hours a day. Neither of these was a particular problem for me though. A couple of doors down from the hotel is a gay bar that runs pretty late. I can deal with the thumping music, but the racket these guys make when they spill out onto the street at 3 or 4am is what makes it hard to sleep. That & the near-constant garbage pickup mentioned by another poster. I would bring earplugs or hope that they have installed the a/c in the window so you can drown out the noise.

Overall, I would only stay here again if my first choices were unavailable. I do think it's a tad overpriced for what you get, but I think that goes without saying in this city.

Mutton Dressed as Lamb

by TripAdvisor Member worldtraveller2007

Staff were very average.

Don't ask for wireless internet connection - it dosen't work and they won't refund you.

Room was just OK. Stayed in room 501 - 5th floor - a bit of a hike as no lift.

Air conditioner very loud - so no sleep when left on.

Inclusive breakfast a joke.

2.5-3 star rating at a stretch.

It's fine really. But just fine.

by TripAdvisor Member PaxTerra

I stayed here for a week and I'm not sure whether I would stay here again.

The Good: The location is very convient, just blocks to Union Square. The room comes with a nice sized fridge, not just a little cube, and this helped me save money on lunches. If you share a bathroom, it's just with one other room. My room was clean enough. They have Bravo on the TV. The continental breakfast is coffee or tea, fruit or fruit juice, and a pastry from the little shop downstairs--this was great!

The Bad: It's hard to get a great response from the front desk--it depends on who's there (if anyone even is). I had made a couple requests multiple times before they were addressed. The web page said they had plates and utensils, but that isn't true. My room had a coffee maker, 2 hot plates, a coffee mug, and a plastic fork. In order to make coffee, you have to supply the filters. The bed is not terribly comfortable. They have Bravo on the TV, and pretty much nothing else.

The Ugly: This is a really loud street all night long, with traffic, construction, and people shouting. There is a club next door, and my room was right against that wall. It wasn't always a problem, but sometimes it was. I had to sleep with earplugs every night.

So putting this all together, if you're willing to put up with the noise (sleep with earplugs) and also share a bathroom with one other room, this hotel is fine.

Little Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Tigerlily6550

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Chelsa for 3 nights. When we booked all what was available was the double room with the shared bathroom. This was my first time with this experience and probably my last. First the hotel is in a good location close to the subway and within walking distance of Soho and Greenwich Village. There are also quite a few good restaurants nearby. Our room was on the 3rd floor. Since there is no elevator you have to carry your luggage up three flights of stairs. Luckily it wasn't on the fifth since my knees are in not good condition. The room is very small. There is not much space but at least it is clean and decent looking. Our room faced the street so it was very noisy. There was lots of noise till late at night and then again in the early morning. The windows are not very well insulated because sometimes I felt like they were opened and I could hear everything. Then there is the subject of the shared bathroom. Our bathtub did not drain very well and when we went to use the shower one morning ,the bathtub was dirty and had lots of bodily hairs in it. It was absolutely gross. I don't see how you can expect someone else to take a shower in there. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone. An hour later we checked and it was still dirty. Finally they just gave us a key to use a different bathroom. Luckily those people checked out. The next morning we notice the bath would still not drain so they hadn't even fixed that problem . Also the people would not flush the toilet or put the seat down so now I realize even if it is cheap sharing bathrooms is not for me. The people at the desk were okay. Not exactly the friendliest probably cause I called down about the dirty bathroom so many times. I even offered to clean it myself.

Terrible - buyer beware!

by TripAdvisor Member straightshooter007

The absolute worst travel experience I have ever had in 30 years of traveling. If you stay here after reading this just remember you were warned.

The first sign should have been that the lock on the door didn't work. They had to get a locksmith to let us IN the room. Then, he had to come back and fix the lock so it would actually lock again!

So, we finally get into the room and the window unit air conditioner is from 1970 and hasn't been repaired since. Plus, you know the panels that usually cover the space in the window between the unit and the window frame...well, they weren't there. The air conditioner was blowing warm air and it wasn't even staying in the room! It was June and it was horrendous in that room. Did I mention that we booked a room with a private bath but they put us in a room that had a shared bath? The bath was so nasty we didn't take showers. So much mold around the bath tub and the shower curtain could have used several bottles of bleach.

So, we asked to move the next day (because they told us they were sold out the first night) and they put us in a room on the first floor with a private bath. The window unit worked and the lock worked. The bath was small but okay. We couldn't figure out if it was actually a nice room or if it was just so much better than the last room that it through our minds into bliss. We stayed 3 nights and one was spent recouping from the first night when we lay in sweat with no sleep. That first night completely ruined our trip. We were worn out the entire time and slept through most of the 2nd day.

The manager said they would refund our money but that never happened. I have called them several times since (I am writing this in Nov...I was trying to give them some time) and they have not returned one call. I know they remember who I am because I raised hell after that first night.

Did I mention the staircase is about the fall out of the wall and is slanted so much that you walk sideways? The maid wouldn't walk down the stairway when we were walking up it...if that tells you anything.

I can not believe this thing passes inspection. We talked to a couple of other guests while there and they had similar stories.
Yes, it is a great location but you are taking your life in your hands staying here. I am in construction and I fully expect to hear a story about this building caving in or catching fire at some point in the near future. It needs major foundation and structural work...if you took the buildings beside it away, it would fall. These same people own the Amsterdam Inn on the Upper West Side.

NYC Hotel

by JessicaNg

Hi,

I'm headed New York for the first time from 16-20 September 2004 and m wondering if there are any kind souls out there whom are able to help me with my queries below:

(1) Besides midtown, which other neighbourhood is more convenient an area for a tourist to stay in (eg: Upper West Side / Soho / Chelsea..)

(2) Are there any nice hotels (in midtown Manhatten) that i can get within my daily accomodation budget of USD 150-210 (tax inclusive) ?

(3) What are the typical 'must-dos' for a first-time visitor to the Big Apple?

Merci!

Jessica

Re: NYC Hotel

by rmdw

2) I've stayed in 3 different hotels in NYC. I've listed them all in my travel pages. Just be sure to check current prices for when you'll be staying.

FYI for this purpose I've found www.onetime.com to be useful.

If you're willing to not know precisely the name of the hotel before giving your credit card number then do try www.hotwire.com I've had great success with it too!

Robert

Re: NYC Hotel

by seagoingJLW

Try the Chelsea Inn (if it is available.)

Joan