318 West 20th Street, New York City, New York, 10011, United States

Official Site

• jessicat1982's Profile Photo

Living like a Local in Chelsea

everytime i go to new york with my family, we stay at the chelsea lodge suites. I don't think new york would be quite the same if we stayed somewhere else.

there are two ways to live it up at the chelsea lodge. the first being in one of the bedrooms in the main house which i've never done but hear is just as great, if not small.

the second is to stay in one of the brownstones where you get your own studio complete with marble bathroom. although the garden suites are much nicer than the ones in the front, both are lovely all the same. the accomidations are clean, the concierge james is super nice and the suites are large enough to fit 4 people very comfortably.

the best part is that the chelsea lodge is close to everything. it's a 20 minute max walk to time square/greenwich village/40 ish minutes to soho/little italy and probably one of the safest areas to explore by foot. there's a police station up the street, the chelsea market within walking distance and various coffee shops and restaurants that cater to locals.

there is no way i would ever stay anywhere else when visiting new york.

Directions: between 8th and 9th st

• CandS's Profile Photo

Chelsea Lodge

We spent four nights at Chelsea Lodge on West 20th Street in Chelsea. It was a great place to stay and in a great location... I would definitely recommend it to others, especially if you need a cheaper place than usual to stay.

Unique Quality: The rooms are fairly small but comfortable... They have a shower, basin, queen bed, desk & chair, tall boy, TV and air conditioner but that's it. The toilet is just down the hall a few steps...but it was never a problem for us. The guys at the desk were always nice and the rooms were clean...

There is no elevator though so if you don't want to climb stairs make sure you book a ground floor room...it can get hard lugging your bags up/down the stairs (although it's only 3 stories high).

Directions: Just near 8th Avenue.
    Nearest metro - C & E trains located at 23rd Street & 8th Avenue

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

As close to home as you can get in Manhattan

I hate the crowded, over-priced, smelly, bad attitude, tip-greedy, herd-mentality places that you find in the central business districts of almost every large city. In Manhattan, I would define that as Midtown. I would avoid it as a traveler unless I was there for a particular business reason – in which case convenience and business-related services would be my foremost considerations and I would probably opt for something like The Intercontinental. If I was in midtown on a budget I would stay at The Wyndham 42 West 58th Street - right in the middle of everything and only $145 a night - cheap for that neighborhood.

If I was in town to really experience it – to feel its unique rhythms and get a sense of the ebb and flow of daily life – well, then I would prefer to stay in a small, out-of-the-way spot that was clean, and nice and indistinguishable from the homes of the folks who live in that city. The Chelsea Lodge Suites is such a place.

Unique Quality: Last year I had some relatives visiting – I wanted them to feel at home and spent a great deal of time searching around for the ideal spot. They have two small kids and wanted to be able to make some meals at home. They stayed in a small apartment with a garden, a kitchen, and a living room all housed in a charming townhouse on a beautiful tree-lined street in Chelsea. It is close enough to the Village to walk to anything you might want to see – a five minutes by cab or subway to Midtown and the Theatre District.
    The restaurants in Chelsea are great and the apartment was set up so that you could really live inexpensively.
    There is no room service, no bellmen – so if you want those things you will have to stay in a full-service hotel. The website is listed below and it contains lots more details.

NB: The Chelsea Lodge (right next door) has smaller rooms for under $100 ... also very nice ...)

Directions: Chelsea

More about Chelsea Lodge

Reasonable but not worth all the praise

by TripAdvisor Member Dallerton53

The location is fine, on one of the few attractive brownstone streets in Chelsea - which is otherwise a rather dull area between Greenwich and mid-town. The welcome wasn't the warmest I've had in New York and my first impressions of my 'suite' were not very good. It was clean enough but not especially well equipped and a little tired. The sofa bed in the living room looked like it came out of the ark and it was incredibly uncomfortable. The street noise is very noticeable at the front of the house - but then who wants to sleep in NYC ?
Overall it was reasonable for the price but when I visit NY again I will be staying somewhere else.

Very Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member stephen_phillips

We stayed in the Chelsea Lodge's suite building the middle part of January. The price was $195 per night without tax. The room was very big and had its own kitchenette. We were in the "Upper Garden" suite. Floor to ceiling windows on one side of the room and one of the windows was a french door leading to the backyard. It really felt like I was back living in NYC! This is a really nice place in a great location for subways and taxis. Chelsea has some good eating nearby. You'll like it if your an urbanite. If your from Kansas stay in Times Square, you'll like that better.

Great for the money paid

We stayed in New York for several days in December. Overall we were really pleased with this hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful, even condidering we arrived at 1 in the morning!
The room was small but sufficient as we were never there much. There was no road noise from the back room, however our room had a pressure valve, which made some odd noises in the night, waking me and my partner on the odd occasion.
Overall, this hotel is brilliant for the money you pay, in fact it was the only way we could have afforded to stay centrally to all the attractions.

Very Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member EstherValencia

We were in Chelsea Lodge last january 2005 and we had a great experience. We would definitely book again but we will try to chose a second or third floor room, with views to the street.

Good points: convenient and cute location (next to everything, lovely street), atmosphere (helpful receptionists, quiet, lovely decoration, cosy, very clean). I do agree with all the positive reviews. But...

Not so good points: small-tiny rooms (not suitable for long stays or large baggage), not so good restoration (although the building has been restored, your bed might be affected by some the floors which are not horizontal, its just a detail, but very annoying one. We tried two rooms and both had the same situation), very noisy heating (ONLY in lowfloor room, but we were changed into another one), no elevator (but if you stay in bottomfloor room you might get the noise from the people comming up and down the stairs).

Clean, but..

by TripAdvisor Member rad12

We stayed in a streetside suite.The place was clean, but the entry hall looked like it had been decorated in remnants from two different stores with no coordination.The towels were of military grade.There was no wifi, which was touted on the site. Furnishings were fairly spartan and uninspired. The stakk we saw was nice the the location good.

Nothing could be better on a budget

New York was the vacation spot my wife and I have been dreaming of. We wanted to spend our money on enjoying the city and not on a hotel room. This hotel fit our modest budget.

The room were small but clean and comfortable even for two. We upgraded our room to a double bed and a private bath.

The hotel was decorated in a fun, eclectic style that we enjoyed. Old photograhs and odd pieces hung in the lobby.

The location was perfect for us because we took the subway alot and it was close to two main lines, one took us directly to Times Square and the other down to Battery Park.

What really made the stay at the Chelsea Lodge nice was the personable staff. Thanks guys.

Cons: Its a budget hotel; safe, clean, friendly and comfortable but dont expect the Ritz or the Plaza.

Has Pros and Cons

Stayed for 3 nights based, in large part, to the reviews read here, and was moderately disappointed. After all the gushing, I had my hopes sky high, so here's the real deal, as witnessed by someone who travels at least once a year.

Your stay here is going to depend largely on which room you get. While I was there I did see into some rooms which were quite a good size, even nicely decorated. Our room by comparison was very dark, overlooking an alley, and looked like it was done up about 40 years ago. There was some sort of stain by the bed, but not an enormously big deal.

Now on the huge plus side, it is on a very safe, very quiet street. It's a great little brownstone, and Chelsea can't be beat for awesome diners. The staff are super, despite coming in our room when we had the 'Do Not Disturb' sign up (it was rectified in a clean, efficient manner right away). The shower in the room is a neat idea, but getting the water temperature right is very tricky. The shared bathroom was no big deal at all, and they are spotless.

The price can't be beat, and all in all I would easily stay there again!

Comments