317 West 14th Street, New York City, New York, 10014, United States
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Chelsea Pines Inn

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member VaioVaio

With my first trip to New York I wanted to stay away from the usual tourist centre of times square and closer to the night and restraunt areas of New York.

The Chelsea Pines Inn was great between 2 Subway Stations on 14th street. Only 2 stops from the central subway station and also walking distance ot times square. But it had the greatest neighbourhood with the best buzz.

Room was basic but had a fridge, Toliet was shared with the floor. The staff was amazing and always helpful. Breakfast was provided everymoring in their patio area to start the day giving a bigger cost saving.

This place was great if you are on a budget and need a clean and comfortable place to stay.

What a Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member AliGZ

Just returned from a four night stay at the Chelsea Pines Inn and we had a brilliant time! Staff bent over backwards to help us out (even lent us a laptop to get some theatre tickets online). They gave us two restaurant recommendations for 24 and for Primitivo which has to be the best Italian meal I've had in a long time and very resonably priced. Fantastic location, really central and only a 10 min walk from Christopher Street. We stayed in the Paul Newman room with own bathroom and it was more than big enough and spotless. Ok, so it's not the Hilton, but then you are not paying Hilton prices either and to be honest I'd rather stay here for the atmosphere/staff/location. Fantastic - we will stay here again when we come to New York. Big thank you to the member of staff who seemed to be always on duty in a supervisory roll and commands a very tight ship - Charlie the cat.

Best choice for gay visitors!

We stayed at the Chelsea Pines for a week at the end of March. The staff cannot be faulted in their friendly and helpful service. The room was clean, breakfast great and constant coffee in the kitchen very welcome. Being in the heart of the gay district meant that you have bars and clubs on the doorstep, but the main tourist attractions (Empire State Building, Macys etc) were only a 15 minute walk away. The subway is 20 seconds away on the corner of 8th Ave. Can't recommend this place enough. The kitchen was a great place to meet fellow guests and swap stories about where to go and what to do. I won't come back to New York unless I can stay at the Chelsea Pines!

Cool place, great value

by TripAdvisor Member evefrommass

Last month I took my first ever trip to New York City. As someone from a small town, I admit I was a bit nervous about visiting New York alone, but I had set up several interviews and was looking for a good hotel value for five nights. Some friends back home recommended Chelsea Pines, so I thought I'd give them a try. Very glad that I did!
Location was terrific; right in the middle of gay New York, art gallery New York, great restaurant New York...well, you get the idea. Price was lower than anything else I checked on the web, and rooms were a good size for New York, I thought, considering the stories I had heard (rooms at twice the price the size of walk-in closets), and the movie themes for all the rooms was way cool (I stayed in the Jeff Richards room; never heard of him, but very hunky, and I asked to see several other rooms, which were equally cool). My room did not have its own toilet, but the shower and sink area were really nice; room was well layed out, and even though it faced the front of the building (a pretty busy 14th Street), the windows are double-glazed, and they thoughtfully provide a "white noise" machine which drowns out any street noise.
Staff was extremely helpful and friendly; when I told them it was my first time in NY, they gave me all kinds of info and maps and advice (and a good restaurant discount card for a cool local diner). Breakfast room (which leads out to a pretty greenhouse and an even prettier garden) was chockful of goodies, tasty homemade breads every day, real NY bagels, fresh coffee (which was also available 24/7, snacks and cookies too). Rooms were cleaned daily, chocolates always on my pillow, and even the hall WC was kept clean.
Still waiting to hear about a job offer, but if I come back to NY to look for an apartment, I'll definitely be staying with the great guys at the cool Chelsea Pines!

I'll be back!

Stayed for two weeks in March in a quiet ground floor room with bathroom and couldn't have been happier. A fridge, a couple of cable TV channels, a reliable shower and pictures of hunky George Nader on every wall..what more could one ask? A huge breakfast in the dining room, 24 hour coffee and tea, perfect position at the 14th St. subway and extra-friendly staff were all greatly appreciated. The room was over-heated and we had to ask that it be vacuumed when we arrived, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Many thanks to Jay and Al!

Grimy Flea Bag

A crime that anyone can charge money to stay in this place! I've traveled all over the world, and this is the filthiest place I've ever stayed in. Radiators coated with 1/4 inch of dust, dirty sheets, someone else's clothes in the room when I checked in -- you get the picture. Looks like they haven't employed a handyman in three decades. Staff at reception desk smoked and were generally unhelpful. Do yourself a favor and avoid this flea bag.

8 simple reasons why you'll love this place...

The best staff you could ask for - friendly and helpful with lots of knowledge
Nice and clean rooms
The bagels at breakfast
Beautiful, quiet garden
Wireless internet access all over the place!
Coffee 24/7
Located right between Chelsea and Village

Last but not least, the overall ambiance - once you've set your foot at this friendly and easygoing place you'll keep coming back, year after year.

Anders Thorssell

Very comfortable and convenient

by TripAdvisor Member RutgersGuy

I stayed for one night in a deluxe room. My room was long and narrow. the width of the room was the length of the bed, which I had to climb over to reach the window. Most of the hotel is painted in dark colors and decorated with movie posters, which gives character, but probably makes the rooms feel smaller. The "couch" is a single bed, so the room can fit 3 people. Everything seemed clean and comfortable.

Nice to have a refrigerator in the room. Breakfast included very fresh bagels and muffins, fruit, etc. Service was friendly. Subway at the end of the block.

Fabulous and Welcoming!!

The FABULOUS staff gave us one of the warmest welcomes I've ever received and made us feel incredibly at home. The location was perfect and the building clean and cool - and the fresh, daily speciality breakfast breads - FABULOUS! Highly recommended to anyone with an open, gay-friendly mind!!!!

The Judy Garland room? It doesn't get much gayer than this.

by TripAdvisor Member deeforce

Plastered with memorabilia of screen Divas (and Divos) from yesteryear, the CPI is a great little place to stay that won't break the bank. (Most of) the staff is super-friendly, the rooms are clean, and unlike a lot of shared-bathroom places, the rooms themselves have showers and sinks. Fantastic location too!

Gay-Friendly hotel...

by Miggs_292004

im looking for a gay-friendly hotel in Manhattan...any tips? and also any other recommendations on where to go and what to do in manhattan??

thanks!

Re: Gay-Friendly hotel...

by 10028

The Chelsea Pines Inn has just been renovated. Terrific area, just down the block from the Meatpacking District and the West Village. Here's a link to the tripadvisor.com review page.

New York City

by Sinella

Coming to NYC in November. Has anyone stayed at the Chelsea Pines Hotel? Is it as tacky and gorgeous as it looks on the website?
Thanks

Re: New York City

by Seabiscuit

Well, here's a snippet of what you can experience.
"From Chelsea Pines Inn, Chelsea is Up (North) and the West Village (the western half of Greenwich Village) is Down (South). North is Uptown from wherever you are and South is Downtown. Cross-town means East or West." As far as directions go. You will be in a predominantly Gay area of NYC (which isn't BAD in the least!) Loads of nightlife, and tons of GREAT eateries.

You'll have a great time anywhere you go (but avoid the Best Western Times Square at all costs).
Jeff-

Re: New York City

by 10028

It gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com, you might want to browse for yourself. (I don't think the word "gorgeous" would apply to the Chelsea Pines!)

14th St. borders the Village and Chelsea, and the Meatpacking District is right down the block, on 9th Avenue, so you'll have lots to explore while you're there. Great restaurants and bars.

Comments