204 West 23rd Street, New York City, New York, 10011, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Chelsea Savoy Hotel

Ideal location

Easy access to the subway, plus being able to walk to many sites make the Chelsea Savoy an ideal place for any first timer visiting New York. The only suggestion I have is to change the shower head. The bathroom was very nice, well appointed, but the shower head did not spray well. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would be happy to stay there again.

Wonderful suprise

by TripAdvisor Member speechgirl4

This was a girls' shopping, eating, theatre and tourist trip. There were four of us and we all wanted to stay in the same room. Had a great deal of difficulty finding a room in NYC to accomidate all of us without spending a king's ransom. The Chelsea Savoy was the answer! The room was clean, well air conditioned and very comfortable. The location was convenient to all parts of the city.
Plan on staying there again.

Great value and location for exploring NYC

My friend and I flew into Manhattan on Thanksgiving day and stayed at the Chelsea Savoy for four nights. We picked the hotel based on reviews from this site and couldn't have been happier with our choice. The location is excellent- very close to restaurants, bars and several subway stations. Our room was spacious and clean. No frills, but still very nice. The front desk staff weren't overly friendly, but were gracious enough to offer to call a car service for us. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel- perfect place to sleep and clean up before exploring the city. Can't beat it for the price.

Perfect Business Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DenverMLK

I've stayed at the Chelsea Savoy several times on business trips to NYC. The hotel is no-frills, but very nice. The front desk staff is friendly and is aware of who all of the guests are - they recognize you when you come and go, which is nice as you don't fear that there are any non-guests lingering. The rooms are small. The hotel is fairly quiet at night, despite the bustling city outside. It is clean, well air-conditioned (I've stayed there only in the summers), and is in a location fairly convenient to the metro - just a block away. There are good restaurants just around the corner, and a movie theater too. It is an awkward place to catch a taxi to go uptown, but to go downtown it is a perfect location. If you are going uptown, walk a block first so that you are headed in the right direction to begin with. The price is right and it is a perfect place to sleep (but not much else) in NYC.

Best Kept Secret

by TripAdvisor Member Roddy_Rod

There is honestly nothing you can say bad about the Savoy. I have stayed there for roughly 4 years and typically travel to NYC about 8 times a year. The saff hasnt changed much, which is nice, and they know me by name. For a decent 2 - 3 star place in midtown & Chelsea - you can't beat the price. They now have wireless internet access which is a nice touch. The room is very basic, but they have been making upgrades to certian things like the internet access and toiletries, etc. I have read some of the reviews of this place and the ones that bash it - all I can say is "Don't get mad if you booked and paid for a 2-3 star hotel and expected to get the Waldorf" I love the Chelsea Savoy and have recommended it to all my friends. It is a great budget hotel, in a great area.

Great Find

by TripAdvisor Member clevelandgirl

The Chelsea Savoy was such a good find i almost don't want to give a great review so it's not booked up the next time we go to nyc. The 1 subway line is right next door , coffee and bagels in the lobby in the AM. Located right outside the Times Square area which is within walking distance down 8th. I asked for and received the most inexpensive room, it was small yet had a small fridge ,tv , phone (. 50 for a local call) it is a safe area that has people around the streets pretty much through the night . (saftey in numbers) Don't expect a view or ambiance yet a safe place to stay. There was no dresser in my room, had closet, ironing board ,iron, small safe , own bathroom. Clean!

Perfect location for exploring NYC

by TripAdvisor Member Drogheda123

We picked the Chelsea Savoy on the basis of reviews here on TripAdvisor. We were stuck with getting a hotel at the last minute, due to having booked an apartment and then having to cancel it [after reading the reviews of the apartment here on TA]. Well, I couldn't have been happier with this hotel. It really is in a perfect location for exploring this beautiful and totally fantastic city. The hotel itself is bordering on basic, but it is spotlessly clean, very well serviced daily, with ample towels and free toiletries etc. The hotel doesn't serve food, but there is a free breakfast bar of coffee and danish each morning, and Monday thru Friday, a comp copy of USA Today is left outside your room door. The beds were extremely comfortable, I had a room to myself, with a big queen size bed...wonderful to get into after a hard day walking round the city!

There are plenty of amenities close to the hotel itself..a deli next door, plenty of diners, including the wonderful [if tackily named Malibu] serving cheap meals in jumbo size portions. Honestly, breakfast in the Malibu is enough to keep you going all day, for about $8. If you choose to stay here, don't miss an evening meal in the East of Eighth cafe, with its garden restaurant. Wonderful setting, and again, great value with dinners running about $15 to $25 with a drink. Its on 24th street, a block from the hotel.

A few minutes walk brings you to the bargainhunting daddy of them all, Filene's Basement, which has TJ Maxx upstairs [TK Maxx in the UK and Ireland]. Ralph Lauren shirts for $20 dollars! And its also worth noting that there is no sales tax on clothes or shoes under $110 in NY as of last April.

I'm intending to go back and explore NY some more next year, and I'll definitely consider staying at this hotel again. The only real gripe I had [and its not the hotel's fault] is the 3 different taxes added on to the bill...a $185 room becomes a $213.45 a day. Some difference, adding $170 to the bill. For a city that is still trying to woo back tourists, the State could maybe give some consideration to the high cost of hotels in the city?

Thank you to all the lovely and wonderful people that we came across in New York, who were all without exception, kind-hearted, considerate and very welcoming.

No frills but okay

We stayed in this hotel as part of a round the world trip with our two children (15 and 11) in December. We chose the hotel as part of a theatre ticket package, but were also looking for something which was central, comfortable and inexpensive. The location is good (next to the subway). Our stay was quite pleasant, we had a quiet (though fairly bland) room, and all in all we had no major complaints. We probably wouldn't have stayed here but for the theatre package though, and whereas I would be happy enough to stay here again I think there are probably other hotels in Manhattan which would have met our criteria to a higher degree.

Good base of operations

by TripAdvisor Member ddinsmore

I'm always on the search for affordable hotels close to my company's NY office. This has been the best one yet. Great price for the area, good location, plenty of restaurants, easy access (walking, subway, taxis) to rest of the city. Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable. Only complaint was the limited number of electrical outlets for recharging phones, Palm Pilots, etc. Had to get creative. However, for roughly half the cost of other hotels, it's a minor problem.

Great Location, Clean Rooms, Friendly Staff

I've been staying at this hotel for many years when traveling to NYC for vacation. Rooms are clean, if small (but who can complain when you're spending so little to stay), and the staff are helpful and friendly. The location, in the hip Chelsea neighbourhood, has plenty of great restaurants, shopping (everything from Whole Foods to the designer discount store Loehmann's) and nightlife. Chelsea's a great "home base" to start exploring the rest of New York - Times Square and the Theatre District is a mere 20 minute walk away, Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking district are equally close, and Soho is walkable or a short cab ride . The subway line, a great method of traveling from the hotel to the other neighbourhoods, runs along 23rd.

Trip

by mumu1978

Hi
Weare heading to NY. We are thinking either Hotel Pennsylvannia, or the Wellington. Any knowledge on these? OR reccomend anything else?
What about restaurants....
Thanks for your help

by judyns

The CHELSEA SAVOY on 23rd St is very reasonable.

by spacefacecara

AVOID THE PENNSYLVANIA AT ALL COST!

I stayed here June 2004 for two nights and believe me: it's a dump! The pictures on their website are misleading to say the least.

I had to go back down to reception 3 times -where there always long lines plus the staff wasn't very competent nor friendly- to get my room changed: I had booked a non-smoking room and was first given a room that smelled worse than a pub and was filthy! The second room was non-smoking but dirty and airco wasn't working. After an hour I finally had a room that was acceptable. I was glad I had flip-flops though to wear in the shower - not because the cleaning staff was incomptetent but it was a bit old and the shower floor were tiles so obviously IN BETWEEN the tiles: yuuk!

Worse of all is that when I got my credit card bill back home they had overcharged me valet parking which I had already paid cash upon check-in. I e-mailed and mailed about this but never got a reply, they ripped me off almost 100$!!!

The only pros are that it's centrally located and that the rate was good at less 100$ per night for a single. I had stayed in New York a couple of years before in which our hotel was much nicer. I know NYC lodging is expensive but if I had known I would have spent a bit more for a decent hotel.

You can check other user reviews on:

Unfortunately I didn't know this site at the time, I could have avoided this *hotel*!

VoilĂ  just my two cents, hope it's useful.

Cheers,
Cara

by Bilimari

I don't recommend the Pen Hotel at all.
My friend stayed there once, and had a bad experience.

by devil66

The Hotel Pennsylvania is undergoing renovation. If you get a renovated room, I think those are okay. But if you do not... They do often have very cheap rates however. Check http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/ for specials.

As for restaurants, what do you like to eat and what do you want to spend? Perhaps take a browse through this website: www.menupages.com

by mumu1978

Thank you for all your help!!!
We are definetly not going to stay at the Hotel Penn now! THanks so much!!
Now are looking at the Belvedere....we will see.
Any ideas on that one let me know
Thanks again