Chelsea Star

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• romanhighlander's Profile Photo

Suits all!!!

Initially I booked a single room in May 2001 ($95 at the time) but soon realised that the hotel also had a dormitory next doors. I thought I will check thisout as the idea appealed to me not just because of the $35 tag but the company. They had 2 large rooms in one they had 4 bunks and the other had 6 or more. As it was day time, the place was empty, but a quick check on belongings on the bed convinced me to opt for an empty bed on the smallr room. Later on in the night, I found out that my instinct was right.....The room had 6 females and 2 males. One being me and another was a Korean. The girls were mostly from other parts of US but the one sleeping on top of me (bed) was a beauty and she was hispanic. Needless to add, that if I ever go to NYC again, I have to check out Chelsea star which I think is on 30 Street and vy close to Penn Station that has subway as well as trains running to longer routes. Plus, Madison Square Gardens in a minute away and times square, about 15 minute walk.

Unique Quality: For me the Dorm system does it. Save the cash and spend it on Musicals on Broadway. You will thank me one day!!!

Directions: very easy...2 minute walk from Penn station. Very close to Madison Square Gardens.

• romanhighlander's Profile Photo

Suits all!!!

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

The brightest, cleanest hideaway in NYC!

If you manage to get a bed here in the dorms...you're going to be on cloud nine!!!! I didnt actually stay the night here...long story, but I DID go inside and found it to be the best looking hotel/hostel I had seen on my whole six weeks of travelling. It was so clean and modern looking and quiet with a beautiful garden with tables and chairs...really perfect to get away from the hustle and bustle of NY life!

Well we didnt stay the night there because we only had 14 hours in the city and we thought we would save on some money by putting our bags in a locker somewhere and then just staying up all night walking around and going to bars/cafes... I had a friend who had stayed here and said it was really cool but that you needed to book as it gets full quickly. I didnt book online because we would have lost our money if we had decided to cancel and we just hoped that when we got there there would be beds if we hadnt found anywhere else to leave our bags! As it turns out we DIDNT find anywhere else to leave the bags and after two hours of walking around the city and jumping on and off subways with extremely heavy suitcases, we headed for the Chelsea Star Hotel as a last resort.

To our dismay there was a sign on the door saying 'no vacancies'. I wanted to cry! But after a while I pressed the doorbell and was let up. I explained the situation to the girl behind the desk and she said they didnt have any lockers for bags. I asked if there was at least one bed available then and she said YES!

Unique Quality: So I went back down to get Charles and all our luggge and then head up the steep steps again. When she saw the two of us she was a little confused as to why we only wanted one bed, so we explained it was only to put our bags on as we weren't intending on staying the night. And to my surprise, because everything had gone bad for us that day so far, she said "oh its ok, you can just leave it all here in the luggage area and I wont charge you!" We couldn't believe it..she was the sweetest girl in the world!!! I could have hugged her except I was all hot and sticky! The weather had changed since we had been there the first time and it was now +5 degrees instead of -5..so we were pretty yucky!

She also told us that in the evening there was a guy on charge, a Chinese guy who was very bad tempered so just to be careful with him when we come to pick up our bags at 4am the next morning! It turns out that she was right and he was a bit cranky and he didnt really understand our story but we didn't want to give the game away...! We checked our emails, took some photos of the place and off we set to JFK airport!

All i can say is GO onto their website and they will have everything you need to know about the place...www.chelseastar.com HAVE FUN!!!!

Directions: 300 West 30th Street at 8th Avenue New York, NY 10001. Within walking distance from Penn Station.

• Twinkle Twinkle Chelsea Star

I opted for a superior room, which basically means it has its own bathroom facilities. The room is pretty small although pleasant, but if you require privacy you are not going to get it. The walls are paper thin and the interconnecting door can mean your neighbours can easily be heard and they can hear you. If you palnning a amerous stay with a noisey partner, you may like to keep that in mind, unless of course you don't mind being heard whilst in throws of passion. Another aspect that may bother people, the road noise from the busy 8th Avenue can be quite load and last most of the day.

The room lacks any tea/coffee making facilities, ironing board or a hair dryer. I appreciate its a budget option, but I've found the rooms in the Pennsyvania Hotel (1 block away) better equiped and much cheaper per night, although the rooms there are very dowdy.

The staff have been excellent and its well located for getting out and about.
    My personal feeling, if I was to stay here again, would be to sacrifice relative luxury and go for a budget room with shared bathroom. From what I've seen the other rooms are pretty funky and well priced.

Unique Quality: Uniquely decorated, pretty funky layout.
    Well located for Penn station and lots of places to grab a beer or eat.

About a 10 block walk will put you in the times square area, and I suspect a spirited walk south would easily have you in the villiage within 20/30 mins.

Directions: 1 Block South of Penn station, opposite the Molly Wee Irish bar, next door to the Chelsea Florist shop. Look for a brushed metal door.

• weewatty's Profile Photo

In the Heart of the Action.

If you are looking for a budget hotel then you could do much much worse than staying here.

We managed to get a room that slept the four of us, although 2 guys did have to share a huge bed. The place also has a dorm which is quite a bargain I beleive. We paid about 20 pound sterling(approx 30 US Dollars) per night during our stay in a deluxe room.

Nice big bathroom, great shower. We could look out our window and see Maddison Square Garden, the hotel is right on the Nothern fringe of the Chelsea area. The area between the hotel upto the Port Authority did tend to have a few Jakies/beggars hanging about but we did'nt have any kinda probs.

Unique Quality: Has a deck area outside in a courtyard which was pretty cool. Internet point was handy

Staff at reception were really helpful and happy to use their more than adequate local knowledge to give you advice, directions etc.

Oh and nowt to do with the hotel but the 24 hour deli just across the road served a mean Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich and an Irish Pub called the Molly Wee(see nightlife tips) was just right opposite, very handy indeedy.

Directions: Take the Subway to Pennsylvania Station, walk about 3 minutes down 8th ave(past Maddison Square Garden) and the Chelsea Star is on the corner with 30th Street.

• storyin's Profile Photo

Storyin New York City

Dorm $22~$29 ( no , + TAX = 35~36USD )
    Rudolph Valentino $59+ ( single room + TAX = 69~70 USD )

very cool interior , very comfortable sheet . but the commen area is small , and share room is too crowded , room mate can not control herself , their clothes and shoes make me do not know where to step on .
    key card .

walk 3-4 blocks to supermarket , do not buy drink from little store 1-2 blocks from hotel , walk 2 more blocks can safe much money ,

• Best value in NYC

The Chelsea Star Ho(s)tel is located in north Chelsea, close to Madison Square Garden and The Village (Greenwich). The hotel has theme rooms and you can book online. We were supposed to be in a theme room, but since we were with three persons, they rented us one of their apartments around the corner. They were $110, but they were very nice (TV, king sized bed, kitchen, own bathroom with shower) and for a NYC hotel this is extremely cheap. The staff was friendly and you can make reservations online here.

More about Chelsea Star

Great deal for less money

We stayed at the Chelsea Star Hotel for our first sightseeing tour in New York City. The room (we have the "Manhattan Nights) was very
small but it was clean and next to the shared bathroom. This was clean and ok. We get fresh towels and linen every day. The stuff was very friendly and helpful so we can really enjoy our x-mas-trip to NYC.
Ok, it's a little bit noisy, but you are in the city, that doesn't sleep, so what ??? I will recommend this nice little hotel to my friends.

Perfect Location

The Chelsea Star Hotel is in an excellent location right across the road from Penn Station which takes you everywhere! Its also no more than 5 minutes walk to the Empire State Building and Macys and no more than 10 minutes to Time Square. We got a superior room, #403 which I think might have been the smallest of all of them but it was clean and comfortable. The walls were MAD! One green,one blue, one yellow and one purple! and a huge mirror and a brilliant dresser. If you do book a room with a private bath do take the time to use it coz it is AMAZING! My legs were killing me after all the walking we did and when we returned in the night I would sit in the bath and let it fill up around me as it was sooo comfortable! The staff were very friendly EXCEPT for the lady who worked behind the front desk. I was actually afraid to approach the desk if she was there as she would practically SNARL at me. I wracked my brains trying to think had I done something to offend her as even my boyfriend thought it was weird! Definitely go to "The Stage Door" for breakfast, its on32nd and 8th avenue and they do excellent food, if u decide to get desert get the chocolate cake between 2 of you as it is massive! If you have any questions do email me.

Chelsea Star Hotel

by randogg

Hello All!

My wife and I are planning a trip to New York City and would like to do so on the skinny....as much as possible! (Read on the cheap!) We have looked on the internet and found a place that seems to clean etc. and in a reasonable price range(Chelsae Star)..I would just like to get some other opinions on the place and even some other options for the "budget minded traveler"!!

Thank you in advance for you assitance!

Randy

P.S. WE LOVE NEW YORK CITY!!! In past trips we have stayed at Hotel Penn and the Broadway Inn both were acceptable....but we preferred the Broadway Inn...small...clean...friendly....close to theatre etc. Someplace new would be nice though.....we ahve also thought about the Hotel Edison? Any comments/suggestions/advice would be great!

RE: Chelsea Star Hotel

by DukeCancun

Hey, Randy

I don't know if you'll have time for this trip, but the best thing for budget travel accomodation is Couchsurfing. Not only do you get free accomodation, but usually hosts will show you around, and what better way to see a city, than with someone that knows the sights and most importantly, knows which tourist traps to avoid, where to eat good and cheap, etc...

I am travelling Europe right now, and spending roughly 5 dollars a day, using Couchsurfing, check it out, and hope you have fun in NYC!

Duke

www.couchsurfing.com

by randogg

Hey Duke/Bryan!!

Thanks for the tip....sounds like a great concept! Have you traveled this way before? Have you always had good experiences?

Do you travel alone? I have tons of questions....but should check out the web site.....as suggested!

Thanks for the rapid response!!

Randdog

P.S. Out of curiosity...where in Europe are you now?

by DukeCancun

Hi Randy

I'm in Finland rigth now, and have had quite a few experiences with Couchsurfing and Hospitality Club, both as a host and as a guest, and they have all been great! I've meet some great people, some who are now good friends.

I hope you're encouraged to try it, you won't regret it!

Duke

by Nix1

Hi Randy,

Sorry, I don't know anything about the particular hotel that you are referring to. Have you checked the reviews at www.tripadvisor.com?

May I suggest that you also looking up www.priceline.com and www.biddingfortravel.com - I managed to get Park Central NY at $140 a night.

Have a great trip.