Chocolat Hostel

1 out of 5 stars1 Star

850 West End Avenue, (former West End Studios), New York City, New York, 10025, United States

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 30% lower than similarly priced 1 star hotels

• pure1942's Profile Photo

Worst Hotel/Hostel Ever!!!!

This place is called a hotel but wouldn't even pass for a bad hostel. This is a dump. Do not stay here, I repeat DO NOT STAY HERE!
    The rooms are stuffy, dirty, stained carpets and walls. No lights in the bathroom which is a shared one down the corridor. Luke warm water for shower and sink. Door in our room didn't close properly and the room was too hot and we couldn't get our window to stay open. Meant to stay two nights but couldn't stick it after the first miserable night and moved out. the only bit of fun we had here was trying to guess how many people had been murdered in our room. All it was missing was the chalk body outlines.

Don't know where they got the pictures for their website but our room looked nothing like the ones on their site. Don't let their site fool you, this place has nothing going for it and no matter how unfussy you are, you do not want to stay here.
    I am not fussy about hotels and hostels but this pace is a joke. I have absolutely nothing positive to say about the place. Staff are ignorant too and the location is terrible. Wouldn't stay here again even for free.
    DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unique Quality: The only thing unique about this place is the smell eminating from it!

Directions: I won't even post directions for fear you might actually consider going here!

More about Chocolat Hostel

Not bad!!

I stayed at West End Studios for a week. But I don't think it wasn't bad. Staff are very nice and kind. Location is good and especially they have a very convenience transportation to get to Mid-town & Down-town.
The hotel is located only one block from Broadway. Everything was O.K to me!! I was suprised when I arrived there. I was thinking to have very bad room which was advised about this hotel on this web site tripadviser.com.

BRING A CAN OF LYSOL AND A PAIR OF FLIP FLOPS!!!!

I just felt dirty lying in that bed. Its a good thing I had an extra blanket in my luggage. Finding hair in the bed didn't really add to the appeal of the so called "hotel". The outside makes it look European and chic, but don't be fooled. You'll know as some as you get on the elevator. It reminded me of some kind of miniture gas chamber used during the holocaust, (I recommend the stairs). Anyhow you can get a room 10 times better in mid-town for the same exact cost. I have the reciepts to prove it. But what is good for the prostitutes and heroin addicts is good for me, right?! Take my advice RUN AWAY FROM WEST END STUDIOS!!!!!!!!!

Stay Away from this Filthy, Cockroach-Infested Hotel

Like almost everyone on this site, I had a really bad experience at this place. I decided to do something about it, so I sent the following complaint to a few online reservation services. I think it pretty much explains how I feel about this place. It's all true (even the part about how they wouldn't even give me Raid to kill the cockroaches with). If you hate West End Studios like I do, please send a similar complaint to whoever gave you a reservation to this place.

Below is my complaint that I sent to Cheaptickets:

"Dear Cheaptickets,

I just used your service to get a three-night reservation at West Side Studios in New York City during the Memorial Weekend, and I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the way you represented the lodging. I feel that I was misled into believing the West Side Studios was much better than it really was. In your description of our rooms, you said we would get "1 double bed & 1 bunk bed, TV, air-conditioning". We DID NOT receive a double bed on the second or third nights. We DID NOT receive air-conditioning. When we went to the front desk to inquire about our beds, they instantly said your service was at fault, blaming Cheaptickets for giving us an inaccurate description of our beds. I distinctly remember the front desk man (named Omar) saying "your reservation description is supposed to say 1 double bed OR 1 bunk bed, not 1 double bed AND 1 bunk bed". I do not know who is at fault for misleading us, but I can say that I feel that I was lied to. Since West Side Studios was a truly terrible motel, I did not expect much from them. But Cheaptickets is a popular service, with employees who seem to care about their customers, so I feel disappointed in your service. That is my first complaint.

My second complaint is that West Side Studios was even included on your site. As I said before, it was a truly terrible motel. When we first arrived, we were given the wrong room (the front desk man gave us the impression that they assign customers whichever rooms they have available, regardless of reservations or size of the party). We were then told to go to a room on the sixth floor and to lug our own bags up the stairs. The room we did receive was absolutely filthy. The sheets were stained and contained hair. The door was painted over many times, but seemed to have never been cleaned. The lock looked very weak and loosely rattled. The microfridge did not work. Only one of three electrical outlets worked. There was no door on the closet. On the second night, they made us change to another room on the fifth floor (once again we had to lug our own bags up the stairs). This room was just as bad as before, except THERE WERE COCKROACHES. When we first found out our room was infested with cockroaches, we went down to the front desk to change rooms. They refused. We tried to be polite and placating, but they WOULD NOT EVEN GIVE US BUG SPRAY TO KILL THE COCKROACHES. I personally had to make do with an empty bottle of Tilex (which was was empty after approx. 6 sprays). I have digital pictures of our rooms and cockroaches that I can send to you if you'd like. We are not the only party that has had a problem with this motel. A brief search on the internet will turn up dozens of reviews that give West Side Studios a terrible rating.

Please, please take West Side Studios off your site. I thought that Cheaptickets would have standards, and only post lodgings that offered at least a minimum of hygiene and safety. I completely regret my reservation to that motel, which was made through your service. Please take West Side Studios off Cheaptickets. It only compromises that integrity of your site. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully yours,
Pam Chung

Should be the Low End Studios

They should rename this place to the Low End Studios. The room we stayed in was creepy to say the least. The double bed had a hollow in the middle and bed springs were about to poke through. The carpet was actually about 10 different pieces that were mashed one on top of the other and the sink was dirty and had caulking stuck all over it. It looks like they hire a trained chimp to do any of the repairs, even the doornob was painted over. The person at the front desk was about as helpful as a rock and didn't even acknowledge us standing there waiting to check in, he was more interested the person phone call he was on. The website caption says the rooms are decorated in pastels...my daughter and I found out they were way past hell !!! Forget this one...

It was a terrible stay

I must say in this hotel is nothing like it was promised in the ad of the hotel. We wasn´t even able to stay there for one night. When the stuff showed us the room I checked out immediately and
called my friend from Manhattan to help me to find
an other appartment. So, my advice is to stay away
from this hotel.

Filthy, Smelly Horror, Unsafe

For one thing, the Hotels website stated "Air conditioning, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, color cable tv" among the amenities of the rooms. The first room we were given had none of these, not to mention that the bedside table had no top, just legs. When I insisted on air conditioning, as the weather was already hot, they changed our room, muttering that most of their rooms DON'T have AC. The room we were then given had an air conditioner that was held in by blue electrical tape, had no on off switch, and needed to be plugged into a crazily unsafe extension cord that shocked my boyfriend. This was not the worst thing. The worst was the unidentified brown stuff smeared on the walls, and the filthy carpet. I was totally horrified. Having stayed in Europe in small hotels with bathrooms down the hall, I was expecting a tiny room for the price, not the nightmare that we got.
To top it off, in the morning, as my boyfriend went off to the bathroom, someone apparently observed him leaving without locking the door, and a woman immediately opened the door after him and tried to come in the room. When she saw me she backed out fast, without apologizing, making me think that she wasn't just making a mistake and opening the wrong door.
I suppose I should have known, but was duped by the Hotels ads saying that they inspect every hotel that they offer on their site. Obviously they inspected a different part of the hotel than the one we were given. There were quite a few foreign travelers looking shell-shocked in the lobby of this place, I felt sorry for them. Luckily we were able to stay with a friend in Brooklyn, otherwise our four nights in NYC would have been hell. To their credit, Hotels refunded our money for the nights we didn't stay, and waived the cancellation fee, but I was willing to give up the $384 dollars just to get the hell out of that place. I should have known something was up when the guys at the front desk were wondering whether the exterminator was going to come or not. Live and learn.

Is there a worse hotel than this in the entire universe?

by TripAdvisor Member Deaks

No matter what is written on this site, words cannot adequately describe this hotel. Upon arrival, the exterior and lobby of the establishment look reasonably appealing, but as soon as you emerge from that elevator, WHAM! reality hits you. The corridors are filthy; doors are painted in a horrible mucky brown colour. My room was almost indescribable - it had a horrible, stale smell and the towels in there stunk too. The bed was dirty and had several hairs present, presumably belonging to the previous occupant. The carpet was ill-fitting, whilst plugs had a tendency to fall out of the sockets on their own. Both taps on the sink dispensed only hot water, and the sink itself was filthy and had trails of rust running down from both taps.

The room was without a/c; the alternative was to open the window, which was shaped just perfectly to allow rainwater in and land on the bed. The wardrobe/closet was just big enough to hang about five shirts in, and there were no drawers or any other clothes storage space.

In short, this hotel is by far the worst I have ever stayed in. Please, don't ever, ever consider booking a room here - you're better off sleeping rough in a park.

Don't go there

This hotel is just terrible. The best thing one can say about it is, that it was.. hm.. an experience to stay there.

The socalled consiergedisk is NOT helpful or even just polite. Late at night the consierge (18 year old boy) played extremely loud music, that woke everybody up. (Weird guy!)
The rooms were creapy (cardboard in the windows)and the bed unclean - I like to think that the sheets had been washed since the last guest, but due to the finding of hair and blood (!) in the bed, I'm not sure....

The elevator didn't work. You don't get any fresh towels or room-cleaning during your stay. The only good thing about the hotel is the location.

Pay that extra dollar and find a hotel, that doesn't creep you out, cheat, lie and steel your money!

A. Petersen

Nightmare

I wish i had read the reviews of this dump before we booked it. We arrived expected to get 2 rooms with air conditioning one with twin beds and the other with a double and a single. We got one with a small double bed i had to share with my 20 year old son and the other party had a cramped room with a single and bunk beds. No air conditioning the doors had badly fitting locks it was dirty nowhere to put clothes AND WE HAD BOOKED FOR 7 NIGHTS First time in New York. Beautiful City but after this experiance no wish to return. The staff were unhelpful and generally rude strange thing my credit card was photocopied and soon after was used fraudelently!!!!!!

Comments