40 West 45th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Club Quarters, Midtown

We only spent one night here but got a terrific rate on Priceline for the room. Some thoughts on the hotel: the room was tiny-too small for the three of us really, but the hotel staff was incredibly nice. They brought our third person up a rollaway bed and put the sheets and blankets on it themselves. (Yes, I have stayed in places where you had to do it yourself.) There was only a shower, no bathtub, but the water pressure was good. There wasn't really a lobby, but there was a nice parlor beyond the check-in desk that was tastefully decorated. The location was good, close enough to walk to Times Square and 5th Avenue. All in all, although it was incredibly smaller than the Hotel Pennsylvania, which was where we spent the rest of our stay, it was vastly of superior quality and I would defintely stay there again.

More about Club Quarters Midtown

Rather pricey, but still good

by TripAdvisor Member ooFlaneryoo

Stayed at the Club Quarters Midtown over the weekend of October 22-23 2005. The 'director's room' on one of the high floors we were given was really spacious and well appointed. Having stayed in other NYC hotels we didn't have very high expectations of the service standards, so the prolonged wait during check-in didn't really irked us that much.

It was rather pricey (and without breakfast!), but we figured the fantastic location (1.5 blocks from Times Square) was worth it.

Beware continental breakfast ripoff

If you stay at the club quarters Manhattan hotel, steer clear of their continental breakfast. Unlike the rest of the civilized world, they do not offer it for free nor do they make the slightest effort to inform you that it is $8 per person.

To top that off, they staff were nowhere to be found for getting some coffee and incredibly rude after I had the front desk get somebody out offer some service. A 15% tip was automatically slapped on the bill and again they were incredibly rude when I asked for it to be removed.

There's lots of way better places to get breakfast for $10/person. The CQ continental breakfast is a rip off. No wonder they don't have any signs or any indication that it isn't free. The setup is misleading and borderline fraud.

The hotel itself was fine; everything in the room worked and was fairly new.

Pleased...to check out

by TripAdvisor Member Massimo_C

I stayed here for 6 nights. That's a long time in hotel years.

Room
Our room was small, noisy, ugly and uncomfortable. We paid for a room for 3 adults, but got a standard double with a horrible unsupportive wire based cot squeezed in. The cot was not even unfolded on our arrival. When we unfolded the cot we had to climb over it to get to the bathroom.

Appearance
The decor in the room was uninspiring. Dark, mismatched, worn out and dreary. The air con, fridge and springy cot were very noisy and we could not unplug the fridge. The real bed was comfortable, but only a double. The view out of our window was brick.

Don't tell yourself you'll spend your time in NY outside and not in your room. Where you wake up and come home to every evening matters a great deal. This place completely lacks charm, style or comfort.

Service (cue the tumbleweeds)
The attitude of the manageress was far from friendly or helpful - rather begruding & virging on rude. We repeatedly had to request towels for the 3 of us, although we booked a room for 3 people. A fax sent to me at the hotel was not delivered.

I prefer to stay in hotels where guests are valued customers and their comfort is important to the host.

Elevator problems
The building has two tiny elevators only one of which was in service for part of our stay. This meant climbing stairs, as the wait for the working elevator was too long. Guests on higher floors were not impressed at having to walk. As an added bonus a housekeeping trolley blocked the stair well.

The upside
Good location (45th St is a bit messy, but a short walk to nicer ones). Internet access in communal areas. Cheaper than some other midtown addresses.

Take it from me
Stay in a real hotel - not here. This Club Quarters location doesn't feel like a club nor a hotel. If you're in town for a night or two alone or with another person you will be ok here if you are willing to cut corners for a price cut. 4 star it isn't. If you want a nice hotel, I suggest you go to the Benjamin, a world apart.

A Great find in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member MichaelRBuffalo_NY

Forget all the negative comments. The hotel room (Director's Room) was more than adequate size with new linens, furniture and slick new modern bathroom. Yes the bathroom is small but very nice (it reminded me of a South Beach boutique hotel bathroom). The staff was helpful and friendly. The elevators were fine- never waited more than 1 minute- and the hotel was sold out.. I never use hotel restaurants, since they are all a rip off, so I can't comment. Stored my bags easily after checkout. I was allowed to check in early (1pm) and given a nice room on the 11th floor- not great view(which didn't bother me at all). I have stayed at the Millenium Broadway around the corner and the hotel room I was given was very comparable, at a much cheaper rate--$184 per night on Columbus weekend (Booked through express-res).
I consider this hotel a great find.This is not a tourist type establishment . Instead I found it to be a slick NYC boutique type hotel at a budget price. In the past I have stayed at the Millenium Broadway, Algonquin, The Plaza and Sofitel. I definitely will return to the Club Quarters!
If you're looking to be waited on hand an foot by a huge wait staff with butlers and elevator operators, then stay at the Waldorf. Otherwise, The Club Quarters is the place to go.

Uncaring, clueless staff - will not stay here again!

My wedding is this weekend and I have over 25 rooms booked at this hotel- various wedding guests and bridal party- as part of a wedding package they offer. The package includes complimentary upgrades for parents of the bride and groom. Well, all I can say is stay away!

Although parents of the groom were suppose to get upgraded to a room with queen bed and enough space for 3 adults (room to place a rollaway bed) they were put into a room with a double bed and it was actually SMALLER than the 1 twin bed/single rooms that other guests were staying in.

This just happened tonight so after dinner, we complained to the hotel manager at the front desk. First, he claimed he couldn't look up the room type they were in (uh hello? you have the computer right there in front of you!!) and then he tried to say they were in the right room. It was only after we pointed out the wrong bed type, lack of space for the 3rd adult and the fact we were giving them quite a lot of business with our 25+ rooms booked that he agreed to move them. But since it was evening, the room change will have to take place tomorrow morning. Let's see what happens.

In addition, our best man has a room reservation until Sunday but they are insisting he needs to check-out and check-in again on Friday - which is the day of the wedding!! Again, terrible service, complete disregard for providing customer care. It's obvious they don't care about their guests so stay away! There are plenty of other affordable options in NYC.

Good Value & location

by TripAdvisor Member snwong48

The hotel's location is great, just a few blocks to broadway and midtown shopping. Rooms are rather small and there is no place to even put suitcases but it's New York, so the rooms are not the main focus. Otherwise, it's clean, the furnishing is relatively new and comfortable. Service by the front desk is a little uneven and sometimes bordering on curt but otherwise for what I paid, I don't have any major complaints. Other nice touches include the free computer usage and coffee in the morning.

Horrendous

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel last week and I can easily say it was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I normally don't write reviews on hotels but in this case I am compelled to let people know this is not a good choice. The rooms are small and dark and noisy. There was some kind of loud buzzing noise that would come and go (usually about 5:00am)that would wake me up every morning. Tha hallways are barely wide enough to get your luggage through and the elevator is the size of a small closet.

Upon check out I was told they were unable to check me out (6:15 Saturday morning) because there was some kind of refund on my bill and the person on the desk wasn't authorized to handle that. So it is now Monday morning and I have no idea how much my bill is or even if I have been checked out at all nor do I know which credit card the whole fiasco will be charged to. Upon calling this morning to find out I have been forced to leave my name on an answering machine and as yet have had nobody return my call.

I must point out that I read all of the reviews on this site before I went and all I can say is, are you sure you reviewed the right place?

This is absolutely not a hotel I will ever visit again.

Cozy, yet comfortable

Stayed at Club Quarters October 21-24. Rooms are small, but very clean and up-to-date. We booked the room through hotels.com and received a decent rate because we booked early. As typical NYC tourists - we only needed our room for sleeping. The location is very convenient to Times Square and subway stop only 2 blocks away.

Pay more for a real hotel

The room the first night was awful.

It was incredibly loud from outside noise, the air conditioner/heater/fan did not work so we couldn't even block out the noise, and the clock did not work. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable as we both rolled to the sag in the middle.

Around 4:00 am, I approached the front desk clerk who said hotel was "sold out" so he couldn't give us another room. Plus, he said he wasn't authorized to do so. I waited in the lobby for the 7am shift to arrive because the front desk clerk said they would be authorized to change our room for the next three nights.

At 7:30am, the new front desk person arrived. At first he said the hotel was sold out and he couldn't change the room. After pleading with him, he gave us a new room assignment and said someone would be to our room at noon to pick up our luggage to transport it to the new room.

At 10:30 am as we were laying in bed, A HOTEL STAFF MEMBER UNLOCKED OUR DOOR AND WALKED IN OUR ROOM! He said he was there to transport our luggage to the new room. We explained to him that the front desk clerk said that would happen at noon and to please come back...especially because we were still in night clothes and our stuff was still unpacked.

At 12:10 pm, I finally called down to the front desk to ask where our escort was? The same front desk clerk who gave me a new room number a few hours earlier said he had given the room to someone else. He said we missed our opportunity to have it and that now, he really couldn't do anything for us because they were sold out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He put me on hold so we headed down the the front desk to make a scene...yelling in front of the other guests. He still insisted there was nothing he could do. After not letting up and continuing to make a scene, he made a phone call and spoke to who we thought was maybe management? He smirked to the person on the other end of the phone that we thought the room was noisy. They finally gave us a new room, higher up, in a better location. The room was still small, drabbly remodled, everything worked in it and it was quiet.

The rooms are teeny tiny. The bathrooms are like closets. No tub, only showers. The rooms that they call Executive or their "top of the line" rooms are regular size hotel rooms. Also, we asked for more pillows the next day and we were told they were all out.

Basically, the customer service in this hotel is awful. I don't make it a habit of screaming at anyone to get what I want. I don't appreciate that that's what I had to do to get us a decent night's rest for the next three nights.

The hotel is inexpensive but you get what you pay for.

Comments