31 West 71st Street, New York City, New York, 10023-4103, United States

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 24% less but rated 24% lower than other 3 star hotels

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Convenient Hotel on the Upper West Side

I was able to get a good price online for a one night stay in May 2013. The room was billed as a "Spacious Double," but it was about the size of a walk in closet (then again, that probably IS spacious by Manhattan standards). But the room was comfy enough and had a private bathroom. It also featured free in-room Wi-Fi, a wide screen TV (that got about a half dozen channels), and complimentary hot breakfast (to include eggs, sausages, and waffles) served in the ground floor breakfast room. On the negative side, the room wasn't exactly spotless (note the gum wrapper on the bedspread in my photo), and the elevator was maddeningly slow to get to and from my 14th floor room. Still, you can pay much more and get much less in Manhattan, so this place is worth a look, especially if you can get a good deal.

Unique Quality: - Rooms with private facilities
    - Complimentary Wi-Fi
    - Hot buffet breakfast included
    - Convenient to Subway

Directions: On West 71st Street a few buildings in from Central Park West. Closest Subway station is 72nd Street (B and C Trains).

• Ihtiandra's Profile Photo

Be aware: tourist trap hotel

The hotel charged me (my credit card) over 100 dollars after I have paid all bills and checked out of the hotel, without my permission and autorisation. They said that it was money for an extra night they thought I stayed at the hotel which I did not book and did not stay there, because I was staying that night somewhere else!
    No apologies, money was returned to me after I have called to the hotel, but it was less than they have taken.
    Be aware, all hotels in NY ask for your credit card details for their security purposes, but they can charge you card without you knowing it and for whatever they like. )))

Unique Quality: The toilet was not working properly. The lift was not working first couple of days either, which was nightmare to get to 14th floor!
    Good location, but rooms are very small and uncomfortable. The shower is really down point, it is in a tiny "box room".
    There is a big quiue to get pancakes for breakfast, but everything else looks sad.

Directions: Near Central Park

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Enough room to swing a cat ?...just

You may well of heard of the term 'not enough room to swing a cat', and in some places I've stayed in Hong Kong or Tokyo you could not even get a cat in the room with you...before you attempted to swing it.

This Comfort inn is certainly limited in space, but the rooms are ergonomically laid out to suit the sort of traveller who wants a decent night's sleep in a mid-range hotel without unnecessary frills.

The lack of space also applies to the breakfast room which is a little disappointing and the exercise room (or should I say kiosk) which if it held three people would probably consititute ground for a divorce settlement.

As the hotel is part of a chain it will also regularly turn up on Hotel discounting sites.

Unique Quality: The location is on the other hand excellent, close to Central park, a Subway station, Museums and a lively area with good restaurants and bars nearby.

Staff were also friendly with nice little touches like humourous e-mails pinned up in the lift (elevator) at times.

More about Comfort Inn Central Park West

Cheap... as in shoddy and inferior

We booked a 10-night stay in this hotel through hotels.com after getting a good flight deal to New York from in Dec 03/Jan 04. The hotel, on West 71st Street, is in a fairly good location on the Upper West Side, convenient to the Subway, and is great for attractions like Central Park and the Natural History Museum.

Now, I know New York hotel rooms are small, but our room the first night (Room 1404) was beyond tiny! We didn’t bother unpacking, as we knew the minute we walked in that we’d be requesting a room change. The 4’6” bed was squashed up against the wall, which means that whoever is on the inside has to scramble to the end of the bed or crawl over their partner to get out. The room was also an awkward size, as a chunk of it was taken out to accommodate the lift. Yes, the poor unfortunate who is squashed up against the wall also gets to hear the lift go up and down all night on the other side! Oh, and the room is also right beside the fire door, which slams shut every time someone uses it. A very sleepless first night, then…

To be fair, our room change was organised by time we got back from our first day’s sightseeing the next day. We were moved to Room 0508, which was at the end of a corridor and therefore away from the damned lift and fire door. The room was slightly larger, but you still have little more that walking space around the bed. The bed itself was fairly comfy, but when will these chains learn not to use synthetic-mix sheets?! The ‘view’ was to an apartment building opposite. The hotel has seen better days and the rooms are a bit shabby, but at least the bathroom was clean and basic. But my God, the central heating! The buildings pipes are evidently very old, and someone needs to bleed them of air, because they bang really loudly at intervals during the night. If we hadn’t been so exhausted from doing so much all day…

The entrance lobby is small and quite dark, and if the gold-tinged dark mirrors were intended to give an air of luxury to the place, it just wasn’t working. There was a bit of a mirror-fest going on in the small dining area too. Breakfast mainly consisted of doughnuts and cakes, though we did manage to get some toast and fruit most mornings. The ‘fitness room’ (ha!) is a joke (one treadmill… get out and walk the city instead), and don’t even think about using the phone or internet access terminal just off the lobby as you’ll be swindled. And finally, DO NOT make any phone calls from your room under any circumstances. When I queried my bill they halved it immediately, and it was still way over the odds. (Yes, I know, I should have known better…)

For the price, in New York, over the New Year period, I suppose we didn’t do too badly, but we also could have done a lot better. Comfort Inn may be an okay chain, but this was my first CI experience, and I’m afraid it will also be my last.

Not Very Impressive

by TripAdvisor Member Visalia11

My wife stayed at this comfort inn on Aug 30-Sept 1

Our room as per other reviews was really small. The smallest room I have ever rented by far. The bed is against the wall and you can barely walk around the bed. The bath was small but adequate.
The room was clean with an older look. The AC unit was nosier then most. The hotel itself is not very impressive.

A simple breakfast comes with the room which was nice.

The location is good. Nice restaurants, park and museums are nearby. But to be honest the subways work very effectively here so being close is not that big a thing.

Rooms are very expensive in New York and this was one of the most reasonable ones I could find. It’s not that bad.

Really when you’re in New York you’re out and about most of the time so the room is not that big a deal. But you don't feel very "Big Time" when you return to these rooms.

Old, tired hotel.. don't waste your time

When searching for a reasonable priced hotel in a good location (next to Central Park) I ran across the Comfort Inn. The cheaper price is not worth staying here. You should pay more a night to stay somewhere that has decent sized rooms, front desk staff that can be proactive instead of reactive, and has bedding with no holes. I've traveled to NYC many times and will never stay here again. The hotel is old and needs some remoldeling and the staff needs some management. No one at the front desk could solve a problem and deferred to their manager who only worked Monday - Friday.

Good for the budget traveler

Ok, the rooms are tiny. Easily the smallest room I've ever stayed in. But it was clean, quiet, and the location is great. Right in the middle of the Upper West Side, half a block from Central Park. You won't find many other, if any, moderately priced hotels in this area.
The continental breakfast left something to be desired, but at least the fruit was fresh.
Not luxurious, but good for the budget traveler. I'd stay there again. If you're in NYC, don't spend much time in your hotel anyway!

I wouldn't put a dog in here!

We spent a week here after booking on line. We were charged a total of £900. Everything seemed ok till the first night. Hot water starting pouring out of the radiator at 10pm Then every night the cistern in the bathroom flushed at half hourly intervals keeping us awake all night.
Every morning we both awoke with headaches which disappeared as soon as we left the room, the air in the room was dusty, the windows filthy with dirth. Then there was the dining area, this was very cheap with only dry toast and orange juice available.

We strongly advise anyone never to stay here. It is an absolute dump.

Good location but a bit shabby

Great location, just seconds away from Central Park.
The hotel its self has seen better days, and could do with referbishment. The room was tiny, and the half of the closet was taken up by some sort of down pipe, so there was not enough room to put hardly any clothes away, however it was clean.
On the whole the hotel was quite disappointing, but the staff were excellent.

good for the money

by TripAdvisor Member VickyJ74

11th-16th December 2004 - The rooms are small but clean and functional, my only problem was that our bathroom door was frosted glass so you could slightly make out what was going on, I think that is all I will say on that matter! We found the staff very helpful especially the concierge. The location is fantastic with Central park one end of the street and the busy Columbus avenue the other. The breakfast was not as bad as some people have said not 5 star but plenty of it, fresh and a good choice. This hotel gave everything that you can expect in a hotel of this price range. I would happily stay here again as the location more than makes up for the lack of luxuries.

Simple, Basic but Functional...

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and went back and spent the Christmas period there (Dec 22-28, 2004).

Location: It's right next to Central Park (westside). And 1 block from the Metro subway station (trains B,C). Or you can catch buses along Central Park West or Columbus Ave (1/2 block from the hotel). Convenient. And I like the fact that it's a slightly away from the "actions" (unlike many hotels close to 42nd Street) in a relatively quiet residential/park neighbourhood. And yet it's minutes away from the main downtown Manhattan scene. Also you can stroll along Columbus Ave or Amsterdam Ave. There're lots of interesting shops and restaurants - some of the better ones on the West Side of NYC. (Try that malaysian restuarant on Columbus/71st..Penang Malaysian restaurant.)

Suggestion: Get a Metro subway pass. I bought the 7-day pass at US$21 and it's worth every penny.

Hotel Facility: The room is indeed small but functional. I stayed in a single room and did find the closet space a little limited. But I did not spend alot of time in the hotel room and I did sleep ok throughout the entire trip. The breakfast was included in the room rate. It's basic continental breakfast ie. juice, toast, bagel, apples/oranges, donuts, and tea/coffee. Again, it's basic but "functional". You can get filtered drinking water from the small gym on the ground floor (right next to the vending machine). Get a water bottle and you can refill as much as you need! The hotel also an internet station on the ground floor (next to the phones). I did not use it as it's cheaper to go to an internet store on 42nd Street ($3/hour pay as you go, or $5 for 3 hours consecutively)... I took the SuperShuttle ("blue van") to/from the airport and therefore did not require any parking facility. I believe you could park right outside the hotel on West 71st but given it's a residential area, it could be tight.

Hotel Staff: Most of them are fairly friendly, and helpful. Chris worked at the front counter on my day of departure. I saw him giving excellent suggestions (parking, where to eat/see, etc.) to a family who was just checking in. The check out was efficient. He addressed me by name and advised me the SuperShuttle (blue van) had just arrived to pick me up to the airport. I generally felt safe and welcomed in this place.

Overall: I think it's a good choice for budget travellers. I think it's fair to factor the room rate into our assessment. Many other hotels charged way above US$150-250 in NYC. The Y's (Westside) is slightly cheaper than the Comfort Inn but you have to share bath! It's a matter of personal choice and budget. I would return to the hotel on my next trip. It's a basic, friendly and functional place.

Happy New Yr to all...

Cheers,

Is the Hayden Hotel good?

by DMF727

What does anyone know about the Hayden Hotel?

Re: Is the Hayden Hotel good?

by 10028

Is that the Hayden Hall on W. 79th St.? If so, it hasn't gotten the best reviews. Compare what guests say on www.tripadvisor.com.

However, the neighborhood just can't be topped. The Upper West Side is an upscale residential neighborhood, away from the tourists, yet convenient to public transport, and just 10 minutes from Times Square.

For comparison, also read reviews on these UWS hotels:
Comfort Inn Central Park