42 West 35th Street, New York City, New York, 10001-2201, United States

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• leics's Profile Photo

Very central

Having booked several hotels for my dates I eventually whittled my list down to this hotel. It was not a bad decision: I'd booked months ahead so the rate was very reasonable (for NY) and, as it turned out, the hotel was well-placed for everything I wanted to do.

It's an old building 30 seconds from Herald Square (useful for buses and Subway) with, I think, 9 floors. My room was on the 6th floor, at the side, with very little natural light because of the surrounding tall buildings. I understand some rooms have a view of the Empire State Building (rooms on the upper floors at the back).

The room and bathroom were clean and the bed comfortable, although the decor was quite old-fashioned. There was a walk-in closet for clothes (very pleasant), with iron and ironing board, and an in-room safe (very useful). The bathroom had a bath as well as shower.

The air con (most important, as temperatures were over 100 when I visited) was very efficient indeed but also very noisy. As I always use earplugs this didn't bother me, but 'white noise' generated by the fan might trouble some people.

Free wifi is available as well as a lobby computer for guest use (limited to 15 minutes). There's also a free coffee machine in the lobby.

The two lifts are fairly swift but quite small, so getting down to breakfast could take a while. I used the stairs on several occasions rather than wait.

Breakfast, basic but satisfactory, is served in the downstairs restaurant/bar. Cereals, doughnuts (very nice indeed), bread and bagels to toast, preserves, cream cheese and hard-boiled eggs (???). The orange juice and coffee were both good, although I found it a little disconcerting that all the crockery and cutlery were either plastic or paper. Spreading chilled butter with a flimsy plastic knife is not easy and the coffee soon tasted of cardboard if not drunk quickly after pouring.

Staff were efficient and courteous, although not especially friendly. They sorted out my minor plumbing problem (blocked toilet) and replaced a lightbulb within a few hours, with no fuss.

This is a good basic hotel for exploring NY. Not somewhere to spend large amounts of time, but certainly perfectly ok as a place to sleep. I'd stay there again.

Directions: Subway to 34th Street, hotel a couple of minutes walk (maybe less depending on which entrance you use) on junction of 35th and 6th.

• RWFAN's Profile Photo

Best roof-top hangout!

I've stayed here a couple of different times and I am never disappointed! The staff are great, and super friendly by New York standards. Time's Square is about a 15 minute walk away, and you are basically right around the corner from the Empire State Building. The rooms are typical hotel style that could use a bit of updating, but are good enough for the amount of time you want to spend in your room anyways! The elevator makes me a bit nervous, but that's more of a personal thing anyway. The staircase may be narrow, but it's full of character and my preferred method of getting to my room.

Unique Quality: My favorite thing about this hotel, is the view from the roof-top. I'm not sure that you are really SUPPOSED to go up on the roof, but it's not hard to do and the cleaning staff on the upper level have never questioned my presense there. If you look up, your view is full of the Empire State building. Otherwise it's not as picturesque as you may be thinking, but it gives you a bit of an experience that most people won't get.

Directions: Sits between 5th and 6th is I remember correctly without pulling up a map. Going out the door to the left, and taking the first right will take you right into Times Square after about 10 minutes.

• Chris_Louise's Profile Photo

Spend more and get better. Trust us!!!

No No No No No!!!!

We chose to stay here due to the cost as the pictures we saw looked okay. It is rated a 3 star. If an average hotel is a 3 star then this place was a -10. We arrived at 11pm and within 2 minutes had decided that we simply couldnt sleep there. Dirty stained broken rooms. Thats the best way to describe it. We phoned around, got a refund and moved onto a dearer but 20 times better place. We were so disappointed with that experience. Our first and only disappointment in NYC.

• If location is your thing...............

This is a very tired hotel. It needs an injection quickly - of money. The staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. The lifts/elevators are appalling and it was pot-luck whether either of them were working. They only carried 5 people and if they were all adults the lifts refused to move! The breakfast was good considering it was included. Once in your room they were clean and surprisingly quiet although always ask for a room at the back. The shower had plenty of hot water, the trick was getting it to give it to you all the time, be prepared to be burnt/frozen.

Unique Quality: The location is the outstanding feature of this hotel, one block from Macy's, the ESB and a metro station at the end of the street with Times Square being one station away. For what we paid it is good value by New York standards. Would we stay again.....possibly, it would depend on our budget.

Directions: The hotel sign says Comfort Inn Murray Hill

• violette_ca's Profile Photo

Good hotel

We went to New-York in october 2004. We stayed at Comfort Inn Manhatan and we recommand this hotel. It's a street corner away from the Enpire State Building , Macy's, 5th St. and not far from Times Squares.

It's a bit expensive but you have everything you want by foot.

Directions: Metro 35th St.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Very Good Midpriced Hotel in Central Manhattan

I was quite pleased with this hotel. It had all that I asked for at a reasonable price and that is location. The Comfort Inn Manhattan is located steps away from Macy's, Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building. Many of New York's other leading attractions are within walking distance as is Penn Station if you are leaving by train.
    My one criticism with the hotel was that the rooms are a bit small. Still they are clean and some might think of them as cozy.

Unique Quality: There are lots of restaurants in the neighborhood and three within the hotel itself.

Directions: Near 5th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.

• Round the corner from Macys

The location is the best thing about this hotel - its near Macys and the Empire State Building and the subway at Herald Square is also very close. The rooms are not huge but clean and well equipped. Breakfast is included - the toaster is the slowest thing I have ever seen in my life.

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo

A GREAT BASE FROM WHICH TO EXPLORE.

Centrally located , a couple of blocks from the Empire State building and only five minutes walk from Macy's store. Very comfortable rooms with everything you would need. Highly recommended!!

Unique Quality: The main attraction is its location.

Directions: Close to Macy's.

More about Comfort Inn Manhattan

Fantastic Value!

by TripAdvisor Member getbillingham

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan for four nights. We had four in a room which made it great value for money! A little hard with four girls fighting for mirror space but worth the saving...more money for shopping! The hotel is quite basic but suited our needs perfectly...we were hardly there anyway. The breakfast is quite plain...cereal, toast, bagels etc but is quite welcome as everything else we seemed to eat was quite sweet or rich! I definitely recommend the Comfort Inn Manhattan for a good value break!

Overall, Not Too Bad

by TripAdvisor Member traveler213

I reserved a room at the Comfort Inn Manhattan for a three-night stay in December of 2003. As an employee of the chain, I was able to obtain a very reasonable rate (especially since we stayed just before Christmas).

The lobby, although very small, is beautiful and cozy. The elevators were slow and definitely showing signs of age but served our purposes just fine...it was still quicker than taking the stairs.

The room was quite cramped. We had a room with two double beds and one was pushed right up agains the closet making access to hangers and the in-room safe quite a chore. The heat worked well...perhaps a little too well...but, we just cracked a window to regain comfort.

The bathroom was not impressive. Nostalgic maybe, but I can't tell you how many times I bumped my head on the glass shelf just above the sink while brushing my teeth...I guest that's neither here nor there. I also had a hard time maintaining proper water temperature in the shower...too hot, then too cold.

Overall, the hotel is nice. I was impressed with some staff and disappointed with others. The restaurant is of a very charming Irish pub style and the food was very good. I would recommend ordering off the daily special menu as the prices are very attractive. Plus, they have a free continental breakfast...adding to the value for the room rate.

The location is also fantastic...less than one block to Macy's (Herald Square) and very close to the Empire State Building. If you don't mind close quarters for the small amount of time you'll be in the room, check out the Comfort Inn Manhattan.

Cheap Clean hotel near Madison Square Garden

by PavlH

Anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable hotel near Madison Square Garden?
Looking at up to $170 a night for a room.
Any chance? or will I have to pay more?
Thanks.

by Docu2001

Is there a particular reason you want to stay near the Garden?

by PavlH

Have tickets for the hockey - don't mind taking a cab if necessary.

by donato1899

The Roger Williams at 31St. and Madison Ave. is supposed to be nice. It is near the right street but cross town a bit, I don't know how far cross town it is.

Thanks - I'll take a look

by Docu2001

If you have read my NYC pages, you know that I always suggest that people avoid midtown hotels if they can ... The links below are for two related properties in Chelsea - a short walk and 5 min. cab ride to the Garden on the West side. I have written about it in my pages. Enjoy

www.chelsealodgesuites.com/index.htm

by seagoingJLW

There is the Ramada New Yorker at 481 Eighth Avenue.

There is the Hotel Pennsylvania at 401 Seventh Avenue.

There is the Holiday Inn Martinique at 49 West 32nd Street.

There is the Hotel Wolcott at 4 West 31st Street.

There is the Comfort Inn Manhattan at 32 West 35th Street.

There is the Herald Square Hotel at 19 West 31st Street.

There is the Metro Hotel at 45 West 35th Street.

I hope that at least one of these will be of some help to you.

Joan

by PavlH

That's a fair few to choose from - many thanks.

Comments