Country Inn the City

270 West 77th Street, Broadway and West End Ave., New York City, New York, 10024, United States
AMOMA.com

More about New York City

The LadyThe Lady

at bridgeat bridge

buyingbuying

doughnuts galoredoughnuts galore

JFK Terminals

Hi,

I'm arriving at JFK and wonder if every terminal has Arrivals and Departures, or if you can't actually drive up to some of the terminals but have to take the AirTrain to pick-up points? Specifically, I think Icelandair arrives at Terminal 7, and I hope my sister can drive up to an Arrivals area and pick me up at that Terminal. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks very much.

by NYTim

She can park in the short term parking and wait for you at the arrivals gate. If your cell phones work, she can go to the cell phone parking area and wait for your call then she can drive and pick you up. No one is allowed to linger in their car for more than a few minutes at the terminals.

Here is more info

by nicolaitan

every terminal has areas to drive up and either drop off or pick up passengers, but lingering is not allowed. about two miles from the terminals there is a cell phone waiting area, free, where your driver can wait until you call and then drive directly in to the arrivals area of your terminal. most times about five minutes away, i use it regularly. do note that there are no facilities at the cell phone lot.

an alternative is to take the airtrain to federal circle, just a few hundred yards from the cell phone lot.

by Agraichen

The easiest at most any US airport is to be in phone contact once the plane has landed. Typically it takes 15-30 (or more) minutes for luggage to arrive after the plane is "at the gate" and people are allowed to leave. As such, even on domestic flights I arrive 15-30 minutes after the scheduled landing.

As long as you're out in front at the arrival terminal and waiting to be picked up, she can stop, you load luggage and move on.

by cathy9510usa

I'm arriving on an international flight and will still have to clear customs. I did know about the cell phone waiting area.

Thank you very much, all who replied. Very helpful.

by mccalpin

Note that you may have a small window to call your sister once you get off the plane, because once you get into the Customs Hall, cell phone use is probably not allowed (it hasn't been in the various areas like at DFW that I remember seeing)...so calling when you land and/or immediately after leaving the place may mean that your sister would have to wait 30-60 minutes (as you wait for luggage and Customs and Immigration, depending on how many flights are there) for you, and otherwise, you can call her once you clear everything and you're in the general terminal...so in this latter case, you would be waiting for her to come from the cell phone area, although probably only 5 minutes or less, as noted above...

Guys, for those who have been through the International side of JFK recently, do they have a cell phone ban in the Customs and Immigration areas as well?

Bill

by nicolaitan

we haven't tried to use the cell phones before we are through everything. once we clear the last barrier, then we call and head for the pickup area, with the wait depending on general traffic conditions and the particular terminal. i don't know terminal 7 specifics, never use it.

by cathy9510usa

I don't plan to use the cell phone until I;m actually outside the terminal waiting to be picked up---so I can give an exact location, for example. Since the cell phone car park area is so close, it's hardly a problem.

by NYTim

Cell phones use is banned once you depart the plane

Travel Tips for New York City

Building of FRIENDS

by Alpha_Ghana

I always liked to walk in the Village, my prefered place of New York.
Last time I came, I was not a fan of Friends, so this building had nothing special for me
The external look is different than in 1994, however, it is the same building, even if the appartment of Monica was not really there.
The cost of a two bedrooms appartment in the area is above 5000 dollars. The cost of a coffee in a nearby coffee shop is almost 10$. Even if you are not leaving on Park Avenue with a view on Central Park, the cost of living in the City is amazing. This is Bedford Street cross Groove street.
There is no Central Perk in the area of course. A Pity! I am sure that if someone was opening it, it would be full all the time.

Walk this way

by mrdarius

I was inspired by Black_I_Purl's tips on walking in NYC and wanted to add one of my own. It is that the best way to get from point A to point B in NYC is decidedly not a straight line. You should always walk uptown or downtown until you hit a don't walk sign, and then turn right or left to go crosstown. The exception being, of course, if you don't need to do both cross and up or down together. But if you do, then this is the way it should be done. : )

Wander aimlessly around Soho...

by nmac814

Wander aimlessly around Soho and the Village I visit NYC quite often, but the last time I went was with my husband soon after we were married. We got a really nice room at The W Hotel and had a fantastic time doing really horrible touristy things!

Visit 'The Village'. Plenty...

by Bonnibear

Visit 'The Village'. Plenty of restaurants and cafe's.
Don't miss 'Little Italy' for fantastic dining. Walk around and visit the little shops (especially the pastry shops!), sit at the outdoor cafe's while having a nice cappucino and pastry and people watch.

BEWARE of gypsy cabs...take yellow cabs only!

an alluring ethnic eating experience

by richiecdisc

It was getting late and though we had only sampled a small portion of what we had come looking for, we opted for a quick savory pancake and some hot soy milk at a street stand up restaurant before seeking out another van back to NYC's Chinatown. We didn't want to get stranded in Flushing for the night no matter how good the Chinese breakfast sounded. No, that would have to wait for another day and to be sure, it would be an early visit to fully take in all the tastes and smells of what surely is one of the US most alluring ethnic eating experiences. It was a crazy thing to do with such little time but when it comes to food, my wife will tell you I am a little crazy. But even she has to admit one of her greatest memories of NYC is not only watching our fellow diners bite off the top of those soup dumplings but sucking one of those bad boys dry in person. Some things are just better in person than reading about them. And this was one of those times.

Comments