Courtyard By Marriott New York City Manhattan Upper East Side

Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan / Upper East Side
Booking.com Orbitz.com Courtyard.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• New Life in Old Spanish Harlem

I stayed for three night for a business trip in the beginning of August, 2007. The whole hotel looks brand new, and my room was very comfortable. When I arrived in my assigned room, the carpet was still wet from cleaning, so they upgraded me to a corner room on the 15th floor. Great view! I would definately recommend this as a way to get away from the commercial hustle and bustle of downtown. Very convenient to the museum mile, including the Guggenheim, but still much more of a neighboorhood feel. Subway line nearby, and easiest to get to from LaGuardia.

Directions: Upper East Side (Spanish Harlem)

More about Courtyard By Marriott New York City Manhattan Upper East Side

Good Hotel in Manhattan

by TripAdvisor Member RoadGuy-7

What a nice place to stay. I just returned from a week stay with my wife and our two teenage kids. The rooms with two beds are queen size and that helps when you have four people in a room

The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help. I travel a great deal for business and this place is way above average. I will back in NYC in a few months and plan to stay there again.

At first, we did not care for the location and at the end were very happy where we where staying. It is very quiet (for New York). You are close to Gracie Mansion that is within a park on the Harlem River. You are also less than a mile from Central Park.

The security is very good. A hotel staff member is staff at the front door at all times. You also must have a room key to ride the elevators. An added benefit is members of the NYC police department like to stop at the hotel for coffee and restroom breaks.

We took public transportation because cab fares in NYC have really gone up. If you don't want to walk to the subway station, grab the M86 bus at 92nd and York. It is a half a block from the Courtyard. It goes directly to the 4,5,6 lines at 86th and Lexington. Or, you can take it across town to get to the Upper West Side. At the subway station, purchase a Metro Card. This will help you avoid having to carry $2 in change each time you ride a bus or take the subway. The M86 also stops around the corner of the hotel on your return trip. (BTW – the bus drivers are very helpful in explaining how to get around and use transfers.)

So . . . it turned out to be a great location, easy to get around, and a great hotel.

Unethical Management - they don't tell you about the construction!

by TripAdvisor Member Moonray1

I booked a one week stay at the Coutyard for what I thought was going to be really good value for NYC. I did not count on being woken up at 6:30 am on Saturday morning, 7:30 am Sunday morning and 7 am on Monday and Tuesday to a cacophony of drilling, hammering and pounding.

I moved three times but no matter which floor or room I was in - I heard the construction. Unbelievable!

Apparently the hotel does not own floors 2, 3, 4 and above 16, so they cannot control what goes on on these floors. I lived in NYC for 8 years and I know for a fact that it is illegal to start construction before 9 am during the week and not at all on the weekends.

While construction happens even at the best hotel, it is not before 9 am and you are warned and given a discount. What I find intolerable at this hotel, is that you are not warmed - you are DUPED! The hotel DOES NOT tell you that you definitely WILL hear these noises throughout the hotel when you check in - no matter which floor or room you are in! I find this completely unethical.

When I pointed my issue out to the receptionist, she said "I don't want to say that you checked in late, but we try to put guests in rooms above the 5th floor." I don't consider checking in at 2 pm late.

The major construction is on the 4th floor. So do not allow yourself to be placed on the 5th floor by any means. Since the construction (in late March) is close to the elevator shaft, you can hear it on all floors - from 5 all the way to 14!

If you are considering staying here - do so in a few months when (hopefully) the construction is finished. Otherwise you are in for a terrible experience.

Good value for money in residential area

by TripAdvisor Member chocksaway

At about $200 per night, plus tax, this represents very good value for money. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.

The hotel has a very good fitness room, steam room, sauna, pool and jacuzzi. Definitely a plus for the hotel and way above average. There was a mixture of business travelers and families with kids at the hotel.

You can walk to Central Park in 10 /15 minutes. Jogging there is perfect.

Transport to mid-town and downtown is very easy. Buses are right round the corner on 1st Ave and are frequent. The subway is a ten minute walk away with fast connections to downtown.

Eating / drinking - the area is full of bars and restaurants. We ate at an Italian and Turkish on Lexington Ave near the subway, both good.

One con - the room was small. However, we only used the room to sleep in as we were out all day.

Recommended.

Good hotel, out of center

by TripAdvisor Member aDCtraveler

I had a very good stay at this hotel, but, I want to thank the reviewer who pointed out the construction on the lower floors of the building. This hotel occupies the ground floor, lower level, and floors 5 to 16. It is obvious from looking in the windows at floors 3 and 4 that there is internal construction. Those floors are not part of the hotel. I'm not sure that there was any work going on during the days I was there, but there is a construction permit. The room clerk tried to assign me to floor 5 even though I had requested an upper floor--a choice one is always given on the Marriott website. Because of the earlier review, I insisted on a higher floor away from the elevator, and was given a nice and quiet room that I enjoyed. The room was very well maintained. A little small as compared to other Courtyard hotels, but as large as I would expect in NYC. Free computer in lobby. I didn't try restaurant or bar. There are many small and interesting restaurants, especially on 2nd Ave. Some rooms have view of East River and bridge lit at night. Near Carl Schurz park for walk or jog along East River. This hotel is convenient to Metro Museum of Art, Guggenheim, Cooper-Hewitt and Central park by foot or bus. It's long walk or short bus ride to subway. I've stayed in mid-town many times and enjoyed staying in this residential neighborhood. You must be prepared to take a cab or bus or do a lot of walking.

Clean, new hotel with several shortcomings

by TripAdvisor Member SixtyDays

Stayed here for two nights over a weekend at a very expensive corporate rate of $299 + tax. Had a queen+queen room on the 8th floor. No problem with noise from construction, which could have been since it was the weekend.

Pros include clean, fresh design (not as flowery as many other Courtyard or Marriotts), high-speed internet, and good bathroom products. What let's this hotel down is its fairly inaccessible location, no minibar/fridge in room, no room service.

Overall, I would probably not stay in this hotel again, not because the experience was poor, but because of the location.

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member zjwJackson

Stayed here 5/11/07 thru 5/14/07. Did not see or hear any construction. Rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Unusually large and clean pool/workout/steam/sauna/locker rooms. Leave your laptop home, "business center" in lobby has computer setups with free internet service, printers, pens, paper, envelopes, etc. Staff friendly and helpful. We requested a fridge upon arrival and received a complimentary one promptly. Never a wait for a taxi. Residential area, but within walking distance of dozens of good, little restaurants, many with outdoor seating available. A little out of the way of most tourist attractions, but we were there to visit family on the upper east side. A great value for NYC; would definitely stay there again.

It's ok, but there are better hotels in NYC.

by TripAdvisor Member vholic

When checking in, the front desk announced loudly (literally the whole lobby could hear him), "So you got the room from Priceline, right?" I received a room with a tv located on the side wall next to a tall closet. You can pull & turn the tray; the tv will turn 30 degrees but the right side of the screen was blocked by the closet resulting in limited viewing. Anyway, I went back down asking for another room only to be told, "All rooms have the same configuration."

Also, I asked for help to locate a "coal-fired pizza" restaurant. The front desk said "Huh?" then gave me a take-out menu from a regular pizza place instead.

OK but one night was enough!

by TripAdvisor Member annievee

There are experiences in life that you embrace and go with the flow and then there are experiences like the one at this hotel that make you close the door, make sure its locked and don't come out until morning.

Didn't feel safe in the neighbourhood

No room service

Out of the way

Rooms are small

Clean

Good front desk staff

Stayed 1 night and made a quick getaway to the Marquis first thing in the AM!

Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member bahjo

We stayed at the Courtyard for a week. The staff was excellent, everyone from the front desk staff to the housekeepers to the life guards. Everyone was very professional and polite. The accomodations were excellent, although there was no room service. However, there was a pool, which was nice for the kids. The only downfall is that it is far away from the nearest subway, but there is a bus stop just outside the front door. I'm not too sure what the person was describing above about not feeling safe, we never had that concern in the week that we were there.

Comments