DYLAN HOTEL

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Cost a few Bob, and not worth it

Stayed here for only 1 night in March 2006. Hotel is conveniently located near Grand Central Station and New York Public Library. Actually, its the street the tidal wave comes down in the film The Day After Tomorrow that sends them running for cover into the library.

Hotel entrance is pretty unassuming and would be easy to miss were it not for its gold branding and light boxes. We arrived at 8am from Puerto Rico and although our room was clearly ready, as the days previous occupants had been required to leave some 20 hours earlier, the accommodating receptionist told us we couldnt have a key until 3pm. This was completely unnecessary as we saw a mere two other guests during our whole stay in The Dylan. A minor irritation over, we left our bags for our penultimate day in New York.

When we finally got access to the room (11th floor), it was surprisingly big and well presented. Two large windows, one of which could be almost fully opened, looked out over 41st St. Half of New York Public Library could be seen at the end of the street, although directly opposite, like most hotel rooms in New York, we had a view of just another very tall facade. (Given up thinking well ever accidentally find ourselves in a room overlooking Central Park or Times Square). Room had good storage and TV, and was fairly plush. Bathroom was much smaller in proportion (even smaller than the one at Hotel QT we had stayed in a week earlier), and was pretty plain and basic looking. The hotel occupies the site of the old Chemist Club and they had made a small nod at this connection by providing two chemists measuring beakers to put your toothbrushes in.

At the risk of sounding like The Princess and The Pea, the bed was hard and the pillows cheap. However a fairly quite stretch of Manhattan road outside and reasonable double glazing meant we had a decent nights sleep. Theres a Starbucks on the corner if you fancy a coffee, but not much else nearby. In fact, just like the hotel, we rarely saw anyone even on the pavement outside.

Unique Quality: The bar downstairs (Chemists Club) was closed as we left so we never had a chance to use it. Staff had a cold, detached attitude, which could be regarded as normal in the UK, but comes as an unpleasant surprise when youve just spent a week in the US. The only staff members who do show a proactive side are the bellhops, who will quickly snatch your bags, but are less keen to engage in any friendly dialogue. If these guys rely on tips alone then God help them as they probably earned the sum total of my 8 dollars that whole weekend. Receptionists were on the whole quite unhelpful, and the whole place seemed to lack any team spirit or purpose. If a tsunami did come down 41st, I doubt any of them would even notice.

If you just require a good quality spacious room in a convenient location then The Dylan Hotel may be for you, but if you are looking for more (service, facilities, bars, restaurants, theming, value for money etc) from a hotel then go elsewhere.

Directions: Between Madison & Park Avenues on East 41st Street

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Great Mid-Town, Mid Priced Hotel

Hotel Dylan is a great midtown find, not terribly expensive, but very nice, clean, nicely-designed rooms for the price and location.

I really liked everything about the hotel - with the exception of the elevators! Why don’t they replace the disgusting, ripped, filthy carpeting? How much could it cost? They elevators needed a good vacuuming, as there were small bits of paper all over the floor.

The rooms were not large – but sufficient. The ultra-high (maybe 14 feet) ceilings help give a feeling of spaciousness.

The bathrooms are small but quite nice – all marble with interesting fixtures and two 250 mm beakers instead of water glasses (a nod to the origins of the building – the former Chemists Club building.) Good towels, nice amenities, and a warm, cozy terry bathrobe in the closest.

I loved that the coverlet on the bed was pure white – you KNOW it's really clean!

The room was quiet enough – never heard anything from the other rooms, and the street noise was not a problem. Best not to check behind the elegant window draperies. For one thing, you need to be at least 5’7” to REACH the drapery pulls. Then, the window itself is dirty, and lined with tacky, yellowed, old foam tape which is not doing a particularly good job of keeping the cold air out.

But the heating and cooling controls in the room worked fine. Use of the internet is $10. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is $18 – I skipped it and went instead to the Starbucks a couple of doors down.

I paid $229 for a king, no smoking on www.quikbook.com, saving $20 by prepaying - this on a weekend when most other hotels of this category were $300 and up.

Directions: Murray Hill / Mid Town. On 41st between Madison and Park.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Swank Midtown Hotel

So I was looking for a place to stay near our office at Grand Central. My coworkers were all staying in Times Square. Being a former New Yorker, I could not bear the thought of staying in such a mecca of tourists. I found the Dylan online. The rooms looked small but the locations and amenities fit the bill. My coworker was not impressed but this hotel rocks compared to other hotels in NYC.

Unique Quality: “Behind the beaux arts façade, rich tones of amethyst, jade and emerald are juxtaposed with sandblasted glass panels and parquet floors.” (Conde Nast Traveller)

The coolest thing about this hotel is the bathroom. It has some unique features and amenities.

Directions: Midtown. Between Park and Madison Aves. Near Grand Central.

More about DYLAN HOTEL

NIGHTMARE!

Like the last reviewer we also checked in for new years eve, what a disaster. We checked out after just one night. I promise this is all true...arrived at 2am know one bothered to help with our cases, the room was nice but had no bath and was next to the noisest air con you can imagine. At 4am the room got freezing because the air con was pumping out cold air instead of warm, they didnt fix it to 8am. After a terrible night we ordered breakfast, when it finally turned up my vegetarian girlfriend ordered a cheese omelette, they put ham in it! My eggs and the so called 'bacon' were like cardboard and the fries, well they didnt even turn up. Then at the desk we were abruptly told that new years party was now cancelled! Thats 'told' not apologised. We finally got another room but guess what, we got one but also without a bath and with even more noise. It was a joke. we checked out & fortunately got a room at the fab Hudson.
Look, if you want good service, room, food, peace and quiet then...
DONT GO TO THE DYLAN HOTEL!!! ....nice furniture though.

All Class-A Great Boutique Hotel

I just returned from a stay at the Dylan for a vacation over New Years for five nights. After reading previous contrasting reviews I was not sure what to expect, but I was eventually sold on this boutique hotel's unique character and elegantly subdued class.

The room was quiet, spacious, and clean. My only view was of an office building just opposite the back of the hotel but, then again, a city view was never part of the deal. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable and there was a robe in the room as promised.The bathroom was great...all marble...with great bath products provided. I only used the eerily quiet/perpetually empty hotel restaurant once for breakfast and found nothing wrong with the buffet set out. Yes...many of the staff do have a weird, Euro-trendy kind of "whatever" attitude, but it didn't affect my stay in any negative way. Check-in and check-out each took less than 5 minutes. Also, in response to a previous post, the complimentary newspapers could be found placed out in the hotel lobby.

The location was fantastic...far enough away from the tourist-driven chaos of Times Square yet only a few blocks from Grand Central Station (making it very easy to catch the subway and get anywhere in Manhattan).

TO SUM UP: You shouldn't show up to a boutique hotel like the Dylan expecting to find the service or attitude of a chain hotel. While the Dylan may not have, say, flawless room service(who wants to eat in their room in NYC anyways?), that is entirely made up for by the calm and comfort gained from not being stuck in the middle of a group heading off to a local dental convention. While it certainly wasn't perfect, my stay at the Dylan met or exceeded all of my expectations. For a rate of less than $200 a night, I would definitely stay at the Dylan again on my next trip to NY.

All cover, no book

We recently stayed at the Dylan and were really excited about it. The photos look great, the descriptions devine, the amenities a dream. Just because it is written does not make it so. I second all of the previos review comments regarding poor service, a deserted restaurant, and contradictory misinformation from the staff. In addition the carpet in our room was thread bare, the door man would not open the door for me as I came in from the rain (he told me when I complained that he was not wearing a jacket and it was cold outside...), and the so called consierge did not know what MoMA stood for much less when it was open. Other than the surface lovliness of the lobby, big for NYC rooms and unbeatable location - this place sucks.

Supposedly a hip, boutique??

by TripAdvisor Member brogers

Stayed for one night in March and was really disappointed. Restaurant was under construction, room was run down, lobby was lame and room service was mediocre. Not even hip in decor! For over $400 per night, it was severly overpriced for what you get. If you want boutique, go elsewhere...

See for yourself

by TripAdvisor Member LuvLucy

I had booked two nights at the Dylan for April 30- May 2, before I had discovered this website. Honestly, after reading the reviews I wanted to change my hotel. But I didn't. I went to the Dylan expecting this terrible hotel, based on the reviews I had read on this site. But I was pleasantly surprised. First, their lobby was beautiful and chic. The room was a nice size and decorated very nicely. I knew we weren't going to have a view, but you are in NYC the whole city is a beautiful view.

Also the restuarant was under construction, but again, there are about 20,000 restaurants in the city. The location was Fantastic and the staff was wonderful. They even let me go behind their counter to print up coupons on-line for a shuttle.

Overall our experience was great at the Dylan.

You can do better...

by TripAdvisor Member wei_c25

You can do better than the Dylan, which fails to live up to the modest hype the website aims for. This is a wannabe "boutique" hotel, from everything from the quality of the rooms to the classiness of the staff, both of which are lacking.

The rooms have an old feel to them, and that's not a compliment. For example, you'll find worn down carpets and flimsy sheets, and a TV that doesn't get good reception on any channel. I mean, what kind of hotel in NY can't get good TV reception? It's not a big deal if you don't watch TV, but it gives you the sense of the attention to detail you'll find at this hotel.

The staff is pretty indifferent, and not in a cool way. I felt like I was at Blockbuster Video. Nothing to really complain about, but not very professional. Two staffers were chatting in the lobby one morning, one of whom was in his undershirt and hadn't put on his shirt for the day, which he held in his hand.

Overall, the Dylan tries to be a boutique, but its more like an middle aged Ford Escort that's been fancied up. It's not a dump by any means, but not quite what the website would have you believe, either. I give it a pass, but wouldn't recommend it as a top choice.

Impressive Rooms, Great Location

I found out about this hotel through a referral of a friend. Nice rooms, clean and modern. Location was really key. Made it to all my Midtown meetings. Would recommend.

The Dylan Hotel

by Meshell301

I'm going to NYC this fall and have tentative reservations at The Dylan Hotel. It looks cool from the web site, but you can't always tell. Anyone know if this is a nice and convenient place to stay? Thanks!

RE: The Dylan Hotel

by nyguy2005

Hey,

The hotel is nice, although the rooms are small. Its NYC, so you have to keep that in mind. Make sure you get a good deal on the rooms. Their prices vary greatly from site to site. As for the location, its really convinient. You are walking distance from most city hotspots. Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers !

RE: The Dylan Hotel

by Bavavia

Hello
i am not sure about this hotel, but the Sofitel is a good deal in midtown manhattan. I booked a room from their website. It was $ 229 per night( it comes to $ 263 with taxes). It was a great location and very very quiet and large rooms, nice bar there too to have a drink if you wanted to and a nice restaurant and many shops and restaurants close by..

Comments