Dexter House Hostel

More about Dexter House Hostel

Cone Head Exhibit in LobbyCone Head Exhibit in Lobby

strawberry rollstrawberry roll

posepose

on wall streeton wall street

UPPER WEST SIDE OR CENTRAL PARK WEST????? - Accommodation

by sarze

Hi,
I will be spending 3 days in NYC and am trying to decide if I should stay in The Dexter House Hostel on Upper West Side or Jazz in the Park on Central Pk West.
I'm a new comer to the city and am not sure which area would be most central etc. It looks like it's central park west, but I'm open to suggestions/advice.

thanks in advance!

ps - if you know of these hostels, advice would also be appreciated.

RE: UPPER WEST SIDE OR CENTRAL PARK WEST????? - Accommodation

by redspyder

If money is not a concern to you, Central Park is pretty much the center of NY. You really need more than 3 days in NY. Get a map and start walking. It's great. You get a real feel of the city by walking.

RE: UPPER WEST SIDE OR CENTRAL PARK WEST????? - Accommodation

by TRimer

The Dexter House Hostel is on 86th at Riverside Park so it is very far West (bwtn Riverside Dr. and West End Avenue). It is 4-5 Avenues (not blocks) from CPW. Note that Avenues in NYC are the equivalent of 4-5 blocks in length. Jazz in the Park is at 106th and CPW (which is in Columbia's neighborhood). I would choose Dexter House due to its proximity to the Museum of Natural History, great food and shopping (Columbus Avenue, 72nd Street) and ease of getting downtown. Don't know the hostels so cannot comment.

Travel Tips for New York City

Start spreading, ah, ...Something

by MooseGuy

My favorite thing about this place is leaving. What an overrated, overpriced, hostile place. Every time I have to go here for business, I dread it. This place would tax or put a fee on breathing if they could. Get the city life in Chicago and skip this place. My favorite memory of NYC is how nice New Jersey looked when I crossed the border. This place makes the impossible happen.

Soooo many choices

by asturnut

New York has so much to offer, don't go with too many preconcieved notions of what you think you may or may not see while you are there. Of course there are some things you can't miss: a Broadway show, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Beyond that, be flexible! There is absolutely something for everyone in New York, in fact the choices can be a little overwhelming. My favorite memory of New York, of course involves food. The last time we were in the city rehearsing for our show at Carnegie Hall, we went to the Times Sqaure area for lunch. I went to this amazing eatery that had like 6 stations, each selling different kinds of cusine. All in one deli I could have had sushi, thai, jewish, etc. It was great! The food was cheap and the selection left me salivating! Too bad I can't remember the name-- but in New York it doesn't matter, because you can always find something you like.

Go sightseeing. My mom and I...

by TravelCool

Go sightseeing. My mom and I saw the sights in a taxi cab. There were a lot of tall buildings. Some seemed taller than a cathedral! Actually, the only noteworthy thing I remember is the taxi ride. Maybe that's best because 9/11/01 was so scary that I'm just glad I wasn't there on that day! I've had some acting experience, so I guess I could go back to return to being an actor. The cost of living there is probably expensive. Besides, I did my acting in the Atlanta area.

Theater

by roamer61

One of the things you must do while in NYC is go to the Theater. Broadway Shows are a top draw with the numerous Musicals and Stage Plays. One can get tickets for shows as diverse as Mama Mia, Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast or Rent. There are also numerous Off Broadway Shows and Off Off Broadway Shows. Taking in a show is one of the activities you have to do.

Family First....

by Hexepatty

Here is a photo of the immediate family that was taken at the Park/ EndRide. Jason, (Mary's Husband), Mary, Val (Even our sister, the reclusive Val, made it! WOW!), Dad, Golda, and da Hexe! It was wonderful we were all there. If only my brother could have made it, but he phoned in his congratulatory wishes.

Comments