341 W 36th Street, New York City, New York, 10018, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Wyndham Garden Hotel - Times Square South

Great new hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MvoeAlong

First of all, it's about the location. 36th St. between 8th and 9th Ave. was a great place to be. A short walk to Macy's and Penn Station. There's a Duane Reade pharmacy across the street from Penn Station. A very reasonable walk to the theater district and Times Square. I did the longer walk to Grand Central Station in about 20 minutes (of course, folks walk very quickly in Manhattan!) and it looks to be about the same distance to Central Park. I relied upon cabs a lot due to time constraints.

This is a brand new hotel and they were still working out a few kinks when I arrived. The downstairs bathrooms were closed during the day for wallpapering. The hotel restaurant had only opened days before and the wait staff was constantly training someone new. There was cold water standing in the hot water pipes that took awhile to clear out of the system that first night. But exercising patience as they went through the various shake-downs (I saw an inspection being conducted by a top manager guy while sitting in the lobby bar) it was a great place to stay.

My king bed room had a nice Phillips plasma TV to greet me. The work desk had a comfortable chair and convenient outlets and I got some good work done. Wireless Internet connection was very good quality on the "concierge" floor where I stayed. A mini-fridge was tucked away inside one of the doors in the long piece of furniture that formed the desk. With a king bed in the middle of it, there wasn't much floor space left over in the room but I never felt cramped. A good sized night stand on either side had a light with an LED reading lamp on a goose neck. The bed was great and I hardly wanted to get out of it. Still, the only chair was the desk chair because there was no room for another. Spacious bathroom included a glass enclosed shower and long vanity for spreading out your shaving kit.

There were lots of neat little touches in this room. An umbrella was tucked into the back of the armoire in case you needed it. There was a digital bathroom scale which showed how a few days of walking quickly around Manhattan could benefit you. I had a chocolate on the pillow when I arrived. I had a bath robe provided for my use. In addition were more common features: ironing board and iron, in-room safe, hair dryer hung in a bag on the back of the bathroom door, one-cup coffee maker, alarm clock, lots of pillows.

I got a rate which included a Continental breakfast or evening cocktail. They gave me a copy of the USA Today at my door. The two elevators were pretty quick and let you out right into the lobby and out to the street. There's a Starbucks stand in the lobby and they were offering special pricing. I paid $.50 for a cup of tea and $1.00 for a cup of coffee. Nobody can beat that!

Best of all was the staff. Everyone I encountered was very friendly and very helpful and really contributed immensely to my enjoyment of my stay. Quick check out was an available service and they were accommodating when I had a problem with my flight home. The first couple of start-up issues were promptly addressed and things went smoothly otherwise the whole time. The doorman was great getting me a taxi on the way out of town.

I wish I could have stayed longer at this location and I'm looking forward to returning soon. I know there are great locations all over Manhattan but I'd rank this as one of them for sure. With a new hotel and a great staff, you should be able to greatly enjoy your stay in the city using this Wyndham location as your starting point.

Don't Stay

by TripAdvisor Member NYCTasha

Just got back from NYC & stayed at this hotel. Found a deal on a website, but should have made accommodations with another hotel for the same price. We did NOT enjoy our stay here with Wyndham. To kick it off, we did not have hot water for our AM showers, which actually has never happened to me before while staying in a hotel. Another slight draw back was that the room was so small you could barely move around. We have stayed in tight rooms before in Midtown, but this was a bit extreme. The temperature in the room was so hot so we decided to turn on the air conditioner. It was the noisiest thing EVER. Needless to say we did not sleep well. I got up to turn that off b/c of the noise, but couldn't decide which was better, the air conditioner or the sounds of all of the traffic running over a grate in the street. It was so incredibly disruptive to our sleep. Then the staff just seemed very wet behind the ears. They did not have answers for many of the simple questions about their hotel, but also could not answer basic questions about the neighborhood. One positive was that the Concierge was helpful. When we got our bill I just couldn't believe we were going to drop a decent amount of $ on this place. We will not be staying there again. Paying a bit more for another hotel will be worth it to us in the future,

A short get-away

by TripAdvisor Member GreatTrip2008Florida

My wife and I took a short 3 night stay and were really excited to return to NYC after 2 ½ years. We booked this hotel from Tavelzoo and were happy it was new and the rate was attractive ($149.00 a night). The staff was very nice and helpful and check-in was a breeze. Our room was small but what do you expect in NYC plus we were out and about all day and only stayed in the room when we were getting ready to go to bed after hours of walking around taking in all the views and shopping. We did experience several small issues but the manager (I can’t find the business card she gave me, her last name sounded French and I think started with a T) was very attentive and even wrote down notes of the issues I brought to her attention (excellent communication skills and customer service). She even contacted me after our conversation to ensure the issues I brought up were addressed. We loved our trip and would ask anyone looking to stay here, to be patient and let the staff work out the kinks before being too hard on them. If you are still not satisfied, then speak to the management.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member rubyb2007

Just spent this past weekend at the hotel and had a wonderful stay. The staff was extremely pleasant and attentive and the rooms were very clean. Not one to usually eat in a hotel while staying in NYC, I was curious to try the organic/natural restaurant. We had our lunch there and were quite surprised with how good the food was. I had the tomato soup and steak sandwich and my husband had the potato soup and burger...DE-LISH! My only minor complaint would be that the watress, while super sweet, was a bit nervous or unsure of herslef for some reason. (maybe it was her first day?)
Lovely hotel. Will stay there again next year...and have some more tomato soup too!

Hotel with ISSUES

by TripAdvisor Member love2travel48

The staff was very helpful and courteous, but management is another story...which I will address at the end. Yes, this is a brand new hotel which everything is expected to be new and clean, but there are too many kinks that are unacceptable and should NOT be occuring. How can our room have no ironing board, no hair dryer, but yet others say they had them? Is there not a check off list management had when the doors opened 21 days ago? This is so inconsistent! I didn't spot anyone carrying an iron board around Manhattan while we were there, who would steal an ironing board anyway? It was never there IMO.

Free continental brkf is a danish or muffin, w/ coffee & juice. You are seated at a table so a tip is required for a bill of $26 they present. Even though the brkf is free and $26 taken off, the bill is hicked for a higher tip. We purchased a seperate muffin to go and it was $2, so how did 2 muffins and 2 drinks cost $26?

I addressed no vending machine in the hotel, and was told there were plenty of places open 24 hours! If you are diabetic come with your own snacks & drinks, because there is nothing after 11pm.

Some company held a Christmas party last night which was to be held in the Greenroom, but most stood around the lobby. The seats, computer area, tables, bar, etc were totally blocked for guests to use. While we waited to get our luggage from storage we made our way to a seat.....comments were made to us, looks, stares and glares had us get up and leave the hotel. I called the manager when I got home to express the lobby (which is small) was for the hotel guests especially when a party is booked for a specific room. He said he was there until 7:30, and saw no problem with it. As I challenged him with no access to the computer he told me to use my own laptop, which I didn't have. He then asked me if anyone assaulted us, when I said no he said he could do nothing about it then.

Is this the kind of hotel management you want to say with? I never will again.

Too New For New York Interests

by TripAdvisor Member FeminineEssence

The Wyndam Garden Hotel in Midtown is too new . When I first walked in the lights in the lobby were off. So my first impression was that the lights are off in the whole hotel. That already started to make me nervous. I was notified that the lights were on in the hotel rooms. My hotel room was very nice. Not too big but had everything that I needed in it. The windows are cheap and aren't double pained in which should be because it's the busy city . I was awakened by building work happening on the other side. I was so upset because I couldn't get any sleep. The housekeeper knocked on my door at 8am wanting to clean my room because I was checking out that day . But I hadn't checked out but she woke me up . She should have checked with the front desk to see if I checked out before knocking on my door. I basically haven't gotten real good sleep at this hotel. Another really bad thing was that I was starving and wanted to order room service. They had a menu so you would assume that they had room service. NO they didn't....false advertisment. This hotel is not ready for the big time...they have many issues that they need to get straight before wanting to compete against the top hotels in the city . The price was good but I would have paid more to have better sleep and service.

Great Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member TrsvelBabe

I found this new hotel while searching on line....great stay, warm & friendly staff. The restaurant was a pleasant surprise....food was delicious and well-presented. I am also a huge fan of Starbucks coffee.

While I found the rooms to be small, they were clean and well-appointed.

I will definately return to the Wyndham on my next business trip and will reccommend it my family and friends.

Center of it All!

by TripAdvisor Member Vacati0nFrk

The location is in walking distance to Macy*s and the Heart of Times Square. The first night we took a taxi to Bubba Gump’s because we were not sure directionally where we were and the fare was only $4.50. Once we understood that we were only blocks away we walked the entire time to Macy's to see Santa Land, the AMC theater to see The Tale of Despereaux, ESPN zone, Juniors famous Cheesecake and much more. The room was only big enough for a queen size bed however I propped open the bathroom door to give the appearance of a larger space. The room was very clean and new. For the price it was well worth the squeeze. There is a Dunkin Donuts, taco bell, white castle on the Corner and a Fantastic Chinese restaurant (I am very particular about Chinese) on the same side as the hotel. I recommend searching Travelzoo.com for any specials the hotel may offer.

Coin operated cruise ship

by TripAdvisor Member travelingFelix

This is a good hotel for New York, but let me explain the title.

Cruise Ship: you will find the rooms extremely clean, modern, and well equipped, but extremely small. Think cruise ship - I had to store one of our two bags on top of the armoire as there was no room for it anywhere else. The bathroom, also clean and modern, is so tight it will also remind you of a cruise ship.

Coin Operated: I had booked a king room, but then called to change it to a double bed room. When we arrived around noon we were told that we had a king and there were no doubles, and our room would not be ready until 3pm. After paying a nice tip to the desk people, we had a double room and were going to our room. This is New York people, you don't get anything for free, you can argue and try to get that room, or you can pay a little and the Red Sea will part and your life will be easier.

The hotel is about as far west as you would want to go, the neighborhood is fine except be cautious at night if you are a single woman. The hotel is new and spotless in all respects. Room prices are reasonable. The lobby has a coffee bar with Starbucks and pastries for breakfast. The people are very helpful and try really hard - very un-New York.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel.

My Cross Country Travels mostly long ago

by seagoingJLW

"Map Showing Acquisitions"

The above map shows the different areas of the United States and indicates when they were acquired. Reading from left to right (top to bottom) the purple Alaska was purchased from the Russians in 1867. The purple Oregon Territory was established in 1846. The light green area was ceded by Mexico in 1848. The dark blue on the bottom was the Gadsden Purchase of 1853. In the center, the dark blue is the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. The purple below it represents the annexation of Texas in 1845. The light green on the right is the territory of the thirteen original states. And the purple Florida was ceded by Spain in 1813.

I have been in every state except Alaska and Montana. Please bear with me until I get an opportunity to enter information about those I have visited.

Most of the states I have been to were visited many years ago. My parents drove me cross country when I was a teenager. We used to drive in the morning and go sightseeing in the early afternoon.

While we did take pictures in most areas, they have faded terribly. They turned from black and white to tan and yellow. I have been able to scan some of them by using the black and white format which seems to do away with the yellowing.

I am attempting to locate current pictures of places I visited long ago. Those I find will be placed on this site.

The area of the US is 3,717,522 square miles. There are 50 states and 3,096 counties. There are 12,373 miles of coastline.

The United States uses 110 volts electrically. We measure temperature on the Fahrenheit scale. If the world does things one way, the US will do it differently.

In cities, the hotels will have guides either in your room or available at the desk that will let you know what is going on in town. It will rate some restaurants and offer suggestion for other things to do.

You will find it disconcerting that nobody will take anything but American money. But, then our country is very large and most people, even though they travel a lot, have never been out of it. However, unless you are in a fast food establishment (such as MacDonald's or Burger King), most places will take VISA, MasterCard or American Express. Some will take Diner's Club, or Hilton Carte Blanche.

Luggage allowances on airplanes are in pounds, not kilos. Get used to it. Bring a conversion table with you if you need it.

There are ATMs at every bank and in almost all shopping malls, even in supermarkets on occasion. The machines take CIRRUS and PLUS. Don't use a credit card or you will be charged for a cash advance.

There are some phrases with which you should be familiar when you visit the United States. After all, we have nicknames for everything:

The Big Apple refers to New York City.
Lala Land means Los Angeles
The Left Coast means the Pacific Coast
The Flyover States are all the states between the Atlantic Seaboard (read New York City) and the Left Coast.
Frisco is what non-natives call San Francisco.
The Windy City refers to Chicago (the only midwest city recognized by New Yorkers.)
The Big Easy is New Orleans.

Some people refer to southeastern Florida as a suburb of New York. (most retired New Yorkers live in Broward County, Florida-- or Miami, or Palm Beach or Boca Raton)

"The United States of America"

The history of the United States is very long. For a timeline of it go to Timeline of US History

You will also find our history under each separate state.

Some Interesting Facts

1. World's only remaining superpower.
2. Initiated the atomic age.
3. Landed the first and only men on the moon.
4. Mariner 9 - first spacecraft to orbit Mars (1971.)
5. Largest portrait art - Mount Rushmore.
6. World's first air mail.
7. The reversal of the Chicago River (one of world's greatest engineering feats) creating a water route from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico.
8. World's first oil well.
9. World's first powered air flight.
10. World's largest cavern - Carlsbad, New Mexico.
11. The Declaration of Independence - landmark in the history of freedom.
12. World's largest gross national product.

Desert Rat reminded me that those of you who are visiting us from places other than North America need some simple information. If you plan to drive you will need to rent a car. For this you need a credit card. Also, be aware that American rental cars are automatic transmission. If you want manual transmission you have to ask for it. We still measure gasoline and other liquids by the gallon (or pint or quart). The USA is still at war with the metric system.
If you are driving, stick to the Interstate Highway system if you want to make good time, but use other roads if you want to see anything. Interstate interchanges offer facilities (read WCs) in restaurants or in motel chains. Holiday Inns, Ramadas, Sheratons, etc. all have what Americans call rest rooms that you can use freely. If you want to stop for a bite to eat, follow the rule that I was taught when I was very young. Look for a full parking lot--especially trucks. The truckers usually know the best places to eat on the road.

I would like to suggest that anyone touring in the United States should get hold of the appropriate AAA Tour Guide. If you are a member of a national automobile association like the American Automobile Association or the Royal Canadian Automobile Association, the guides are free and obtainable at any AAA office just by showing your membership card. They list sites for sightseeing as well as hotels and restaurants.

The Mobil Guides are pretty good, too.

"Food and Lodging"

When traveling through the United States you will discover that there are many franchised businesses in both the food and lodging area. I shall attempt to differentiate them for you...at least to provide links. You will find the hotels in groups, by conglomerates.

Marriott Hotels includes:

Wyndham Luxury Resorts
Wyndham Historic Hotels
Wyndham Garden Hotels
Summerfield Suites by Wyndham

You will find them all under either "Restaurants" or "Hotels and Accommodations."

Majestic Theater - home of PhantomMajestic Theater - home of Phantom

tip the waitertip the waiter

meme

building at Snug Harbor Cultural centerbuilding at Snug Harbor Cultural center

Staten Island Ferry

by jpl3

Will be visiting New York City / New Jersey area in a few days. Would like to take the Staten Island Ferry - as I understand it goes right past the Statue of Liberty. Would probably do round-trip...

Any information or recommendations? Where to get on it, what is the cost, what time of day is best to ride it, etc. Where would I park? Should I take it from Staten Island to Manhattan and back? How long is the trip?

John

by von.otter

The price is the best: it is free. Avoid the rush hours; better to ride it in the late morning, the heat of our very long, hot summer will not be so bad. The 20-30 min. (one way), ride does pass the Statue of Liberty, but not all that close to it. Bring a camera with a zoom lens, or binoculars!

In Manhattan, you can board the ferry at the Whitehall Ferry Terminal. Take the Red Line #1 subway to the South Ferry stop; it is the last stop. Be certain to ride in one of the first five cars of the train; the other cars do not platform. Surface, cross the street and you are there.

Park? There may be spots on the S.I. side but not on the Manhattan side.

Here is the web site http://www.siferry.com/default.aspx

by 10028

Just FYI, work on the South Ferry subway station was completed about a year and a half ago. So you no longer have to be in the first five cars, you can exit from all cars on the train.

John, the view of the SOL from the ferry is very nice, but you can't appreciate the size of the statue unless you're standing on the island. Here are some amazing photos that a tourist kindly posted on another site:

Anyway, the harbor views from the S.I. Ferry are wonderful, and it's a beautiful 25-minute ride. Instead of just doing a round-trip (you have to get off anyway, walk around and re-board), why not explore a bit of Staten Island? I highly recommend a visit to Snug Harbor. It's a short bus ride from the ferry terminal on the S40. Buses are clearly marked, and you can use your metrocard. The Chinese Scholar's Garden is quite spectacular.

After a visit to Snug Harbor, have lunch (and a wonderful mojito!) at nearby Tugs Cafe. You can sit on the deck and watch the parade of tug boats.

The return bus stops across the street. And then, if you're lucky enough to be here in season, enjoy one of our great minor league baseball teams. I was out to watch the S.I. Yankees last night in their beautiful ball park overlooking the harbor. Tremendous views of the downtown Manhattan skyline too.

by nyceagle1633

1. Cost is free. 2. Go from Manhattan to Staten Island and back (unless you really need your car, then go to Staten Island and park it there). 3. It is located near Battary Park.

Comments