Dream Hotel New York

Dream New York
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• A nice place to stay in a busy city

I rented a small room with a "full" bed for $209 + tax. The room was very clean, tidy, and nicely air-conditioned on arrival on a 90+ degree day. The bed was surprisingly soft and comfortable, the shower had great water pressure, the TV was in good working order, and the room had a nice deep closet. The front desk staff were professional and helpful (later on in an emergency situation, they helped me quickly find a place to get a new dress shirt). The restaurant on the ground floor served a large menu and the food was excellent, although a bit pricy at times (6 small pancakes, coffee and an orange juice + tax = $46). Overall it was a well run, clean, and quiet place to stay in the heart of a noisy & cluttered city. If I find myself in NYC again, I will probably stay there again. P.S. In response to some other posts, there were 3 elevators working (2 main and one smaller one), no signs of construction, and my room on the 7th floor facing 55th street.

Unique Quality: Nice and quiet, clean and friendly staff. The back stairs on the 55th street side are made of beautiful stone, each with a lion crest relief on them.

Directions: Midtown theater district. Three blocks from central park.

• dgines's Profile Photo

Not Quite a Dream

While the neon glow beneathe the bed and in the desk did soothe my soul a bit, the price I paid to stay in a shoebox was definitely not worth it. The room wasn't nearly what I expected from the online pictures.

Unique Quality: Deepak Chopra Ayurvedic Healing Center

Each room has a huge plasma TV.

Directions: W 55th and Broadway

• mari91423's Profile Photo

If you don't like to sleep stay here

Why is this place called DREAM? Because you dream of a good night's rest? Teeny, tiny room aside, we could not sleep. They have this nightclub upstairs that they only let goofy people in. As hotel guests, even we could not get in.

Ok, so this club is so small that people like to smoke in the fire escape. BAD IDEA. The fire alarm kept going off for 40 minutes. And we were hung over! Worst night ever. Probably would have had a better night if we stayed at a Best Western. Trendy boutique hotels aren't always the best choice.

Unique Quality: Small rooms, great if you are a midget. But nice interiors. Very modern. Did I say it was small? oh, can you cant get into the bar even though you paid out of your a$$ to stay at the hotel.

• weluv2travel's Profile Photo

Great little Gem

We found this great little gem that is 5 blocks from time square, right across from carnegie hall and beside the ed sullivan theatre. It was a great location. The rooms were small as all hotel rooms are in NY but well kept, newer and very clean. We had to check out quite a few hours before our flight but they kindly locked our bags up for us while we toured a little more on our last day. There was a nice club on the roof top.

I would recommend this hotel especially since we got it for 99$/night cnd.

Unique Quality: Great roof top lounge/bar

Directions: time square

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Great Midtown Hotel!

This place is a great place to stay in Manhattan, in the $175 - $200 range. Which, if you have ever tried to stay in Manhattan (in something that doesn't share a bathroom per floor), you know that is a pretty good price. Small rooms, but nicely decorated and modernly appointed. The joint was remodeled a couple of years ago, and rooms have nice new touches like flat panel wall TVs and pre-loaded iPods. Perfect location for access to the city.

Unique Quality: Plasma flat panels on the wall... Come on! Need I say more?

Directions: Just south of Central Park by Carnegie Hall.

• shekaago's Profile Photo

NYC hotel - great location - reasonable price!

Right around the corner from the Carnegie Deli and a short walk from Times Square, Central Park and the Theater District, this hotel is a great find. It's good to ask for a room in the back that doesn't face 55th to avoid the traffic noise. You won't get any view - except for the scaffolding on the building being renovated next door - but you might get a better night's sleep! Rooms are small but very comfortable. Ours must have been recently renovated becasue we had cool bathroom fixtures that looked brand new. The heater/air conditioner was a little noisy but you get used to it. The rates were really reasonable - for Manhattan anyway. There is no restaurant inside the hotel but there are plenty to choose from right around the corner on 7th Avenue or Broadway. (My favorite is the Carnegie Deli!) There is usually some unusual music and video playing in the hotel lobby. The desk staff wasn't the friendliest but the bellmen were really great.

Directions: Midtown Manhattan / Theater District

More about Dream Hotel New York

More like Nightmare

My Stay at the Dream hotel 13 Dec - 18 Dec. First impression when stepping into the hotel is great, looks ultra modern. But the rooms are more like ones that you would find in a 3 star hotel. Though the beds are very comfortable!!! On entering my room, I noticed that is was rather small, unlike the price. It was cold and there was not a safe in the room. And no mini bar, though a member of staff did provide as a replacement to this, 2 apples and 2 bottles of water. I asked reception if they could get an engineer to fix the problem regarding the heating, and after 24 hours, nothing was done. They did though, after some prompting move me to a room which was warm. The telly is big, but I did not see any Ipod. Though i was happy with the 2nd room. The service elevator did not work, so the other 2 lifts were often occupied by members of staff. And on one evening only one of the lifts were working, very funny evening, with guests using the stairs, very relaxing!!!! They lost my dry cleaning which eventually turned up the next day. In my opinion, the location is great, but for the price I think that they have to do more than add paint and stick a fish tank in the reception. What started as a Dream finished a nightmare, though I must admit at a certain points it was like fawlty towers.

A real mixed bag - definitely has some kinks, yet pluses too

First the pros;
* Great location right at 55th & Broadway- you can walk to virtually every mid town attraction & restaurant.
*We found the space to be quite nice and roomy- we did have a suite, which offered 2 bathrooms and a very roomy"living" room with seperate TV - another plus those plasma screens are cool.
Uber- trendy, if not downright edgey with all the blue lights and euro-techno feel- better to look at than actually get comfy though, form takes precedent over function here.
* Nice ameneties like voss water, fresh fruit and paper daily even on w/e. Cashmere robes were great.

Cons:
* By far and a way the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at- get a room AWAY from Broadway- terrible window insulation - the bathroom with a window was FREEZING.
* Elevators are S...L...O...W! Always a wait.
*Doormen sometimes there, sometimes not, same with concierge. Staff when you get their attention, helpful but often hard to find room was made up very late every day even though maid saw us leave early.
* lobby is very small and uncomfortatble- not good for business.

Net net it has the makiings and could be a great place but definitely needs some polish.

Nightmare

My parents were visiting, and had booked a room here. A room with a queen size bed. They received an unrenovated room with a full bed. Nothing else. Not even walking space. You were either in the bed, or in the hallway. No lie. One of them had to be lying down or sitting on the bed for the other to get to the bathroom -- it was actually that small. The fact that there was only one bathrobe in the closet confirmed that there was no way anyone expected two people to live there. I asked for them to be moved, and was told that they didn't have the kind of reservation that allowed for that. After much persuading, they moved them into a renovated room. No bigger, and reeking of drying paint. Interestingly, the bathrooms were large and lovely. Go figure. Elevator situation a nightmare. Front desk staff rude and without a clue. This hotel could not be worse if it tried. And where is that IPOD we kept hearing about?

Livin' The Dream

by TripAdvisor Member jofb

Ever since booking my 4 night stay at Dream I have been checking reviews on this site almost daily. To say I was nervous about how my experience was going to turn out due to all the negative feedback is an understatement.

For anyone doing the same thing in anticipation of your Dream stay I suggest you stop stressing, it was a great experience!

On the much-hyped construction woes: we stayed the weekend of 12/11 and saw none of it. When we returned to our room one night a new element had been added to the fishtank so they are certainly still working on things, but we saw none of it. The lobby design is eclectic, but very tasteful is a "purposeful tacky" sort of way. Besides actual fish in the tank, everything looks to be completed in the lobby (execpt the elevators, let us move to that...)

On the elevators: There are two lifts working, and yes, there was a bit of a wait at times...but nothing long enough that irked us. Now, there were grumblings about BOTH of the lifts being down Saturday night, forcing guests to walk up trechorous stairs, but we went to bed early that night so didn't feel that pain (and I can understand why they would be upset, the stairs are steeper than K2). And yes, they desperately need service elevators, as crowding on elevators with laudry carts should not be an issue guests have to worry about, but so-long as you are not of an uber high-matinence temperament, you will find the lift situation satisfactory. (and there are 2 more lifts coming)

On the rooms: Yes, they are wicked small...but they are no smaller than many similar botique hotels in the city. The bed is indeed VERY delightful, something that was almost a deterant as we slept in every morning during our stay because the beds were just that comfy. And washing your face is a mess due to poor planning on placement of the vanity mirror deal. You'll love the TVs...because really, when in the city on vacation when are you in your room other than drift off to sleep at night with the telly on.

As far as service, the folks there are SO delightful. It is difficult to say who the concierges are, as they seem to double as the bellmen, but that is the benifit...everyone can help you, and they do it with a smile, going above the call of duty to make you happy. I don't remeber the names of the two gentlemen who constantly helped us, but you'll know them by the quality of their service.

The Serefina resteraunt in the hotel is good...nothing amazing, but the pizzas are delightful. The bar downstairs is quiant and nice. And I couldn't help but be a bit star-struck when I dropped in for an after dinner night cap and P-Diddy had to wait until my drink was made before ordering his. The bar was never crowded, and the service and attitude is un-pretentious...example, after finishing half my Martini, I went to grab a smoke and when I returned and it had been taken up, after explaining my situation there was another Martini in front of me on the house with a lenghty apology to boot. The penthouse bar wasn't my bag. It is like a lengthy hallway, and just didn't have a "feel" or vibe of any sort. I would recommend staying downstairs for libations.

The location is really the star here. On the same block as the Carnagie Deli and across the street from the Applejack, delicious breakfasts abound. A short walk from the shops at 5th, Time Square, any theater in the district, etc., etc. In all honesty, in any place I've stayed, or even any place I have seen walking about, I could NOT pick ANY location in all the city that would be more centrally located and convenient to an out of town visitor.

Perhaps it was because I was expecting less and was delivered more, but I loved staying at Dream. In talking with folks in the elevator and throughout the hotel, I did notice one thing...those around my age (I am 28 years old) shared similar tales of satisfaction, while guests 40-plus were complaining. Take that for what it is worth, but I beleive they are catering to a younger crowd.

I spent months trying to find info on this hotel (if you haven't notice, there is VERY little "real" info on this hotel ANYWHERE) and I hung on every review on this site...so if someone out there is doing the same, I say to stop worrying...you will enjoy your stay very much.

Dream Hotel

by onemore

I have read on other sites that there are certain floors at the Dream Hotel to keep clear of, especially near the roof top bar. Has any v'ters any input on this please? We are booked in for a week and want a pleasant stay as possible.
Thanks everyone.