East Village Bed and Coffee

110 Ave. C, New York City, New York, 10009, United States

• albert1974's Profile Photo

A great stay at Ann's place

I spent here 15 days. Ann is a nice host. She is a young woman, smart and ironic, and she lives here herself. Many different style room to choose between. I asked for a discount, before arriving, and I had 15% off. So just ask. You have kitchen, fridge, microwave, dining room, sofa, garden, guest telephone. You share your stay with other guests as a family. The location is great, East Village, Avenue C. Many restaurants in the neighborhood.

Unique Quality: Location is great. And the friendly family-like atmosphere is unique. Ann is a person you have to meet once in the life!

More about East Village Bed and Coffee

See another sideof New York!

We loved staying here! We have gotten tired of hotels that are high priced, have lines for the elevator, overpriced restraunts, and long impersonal hallways.

The East Village Bed and Coffee was just the antidote to the hotel syndrome.
Our room ( The Black and White) was larger than I had expected and was spotless. It was quiet and restful, and we liked having the abilty to make coffee or tea and relax in the common areas.

Ann, the hostess was friendly and flexible - especially when we showed up on Sunday at noon and asked to store several bags ( ours and our kids') until check-in time.

It is a bit out of the way, but we found that the 14D crosstown bus comes within two blocks, and we enjoyed exploring the neighborhood.

Bargain !

by TripAdvisor Member dimple_pie

Stayed here for 6 nights in May 2005, I had the Treehouse room which is on the groundfloor. A unique slightly "boho" place rather like the East Village itself. The owner, Anne, is very obliging assisting with everything from directions to charging up my ipod.
East Village is full of bars and restaurants and there can't be many better places for people watching on this planet ! About a 10 min walk to the nearest subway (Astor Place) but check out the bus routes - there's some really useful ones on Avenue B and C.
If you don't mind sharing the bathrooms and common spaces (with free internet and cable TV) then this is the place for you. If you want uptown, Park Avenue luxury then go and pay for it.
p.s Say hello to Anne's lovely dog Fang for me !

Top value, great host, wonderful hotel

My husband and I stayed at EVB&C in April, and it was fantastic. Host Anne is very welcoming and goes to alot of effort to ensure guests are comfortable. Anne puts together a really helpful restaurant guide, so between that and the LP guide, we never went wrong with our restaurant selections. Location is great, 5-10 min walk to two subway lines, close to buses, not as busy or as touristy as Times Sq. We stayed in the Zen room and it was really nice, very tranquil. After being overseas for so long, it was lovely to come to a place that felt like home. Would definitely stay here again!

Fang-Tastic

by TripAdvisor Member Noakesi

Been meaning to place this review for months!!! Stayed here 14th-18th January, chosen because of value, location, prior rave comments and that it wasn't some stuck up over priced sanitised impersonal hotel.

Anne (owner if you had guessed already), made every effort before and during our visit to make our stay as comfortable as possible. As a self confessed 'foodie'/Apple afficionado (pulled the right strings with me) - she also had loads and loads of recommendations to go and try out; which is a real help amongst the bewildering choice out in NYC.

I stayed in the Treehouse - really cool ground floor split level bedroom; whilst my mate was upstairs in the Flight room. I'd say I got the better deal - the Flight room being somewhat smaller, less cosy.

Now me and dogs just don't get on, usually end up in some primal growling and snarling contest; but I really liked and got on with Fang (she even forgave me from one sleepy eyed morning missing the entire bottom stairs on the way to the shower - landing in a clump next to her - barely batted an eyelid...).

DO STAY HERE. But plan ahead, Anne's regulars may have beaten you to it...

Brillant budget choice

by TripAdvisor Member TravelFan100

We stayed here for a week at the beginning of April. It is a perfect choice for any type of traveller - provided you know what to expect. It has the feel of a 'commune' about it - on our first night we were introduced to all the other guests who were around and you share bathrooms and common areas. Having said that the plus points of sharing are having access to internet and local phone calls free of charge, loads of helpful guidebooks, subscriptions to Time Out etc and kitchen facilities. We were out so much we barely saw any other guests but I imagine it would be good to meet people if you were travelling on your own. We rarely had to wait for a bathroom but once or twice had to be patient. I would probably choose another room if we went back as ours (the Afgani) was really hot! (there was heating which is controlled by the whole building so it couldn't be turned off). The area is very cool! There are loads of cool shops and cafes etc and it felt very central. You can walk for 10 mins or so to the nearest subway or get a bus which stops right opposite. It doesn't take long to figure out best way of getting places. It is a great place to be if you want to pretend you really live in NY as the area is not touristy at all. Anne (the owner) is really accommodating and looked after our luggage etc and responded really quickly to emails when we were booking. Best of all the price is really amazing considering it is a clean, comfortable place to stay - very cheap indeed compared to everything else we looked at.

Better Than The Plaza!

by TripAdvisor Member Frau_Blücher

EVB&C is unlike any other accommodation you're likely to find the U.S. It's more like what you would find in Europe. I have stayed at the EVB&C twice and now refer to it as "Anne's Place." EVB&C is highly deserving of the raves it receives. First, the EVB&C is not a 'hotel', it's Anne's home. She is a one-woman, doing-it-all-by-herself machine... and it is clear, she loves what she's doing, because Anne's Place is charming, warm, and full of joy. On both of my stays, I was one of the few Americans boarding there. People from all over the world stay here and Anne is brilliant at creating an atmosphere where everyone feels like they are old friends. Upon arriving one visit, my friend and I were welcomed to an impromptu dinner party later that evening, with the chef being an Italian guest. The table was full of people speaking different languages and most of them were guests staying at the EVB&C. Anne is an artist and with that comes a lot of creativity. Her place will probably always be her grandest work-in-progress. I would recommend staying here if you love adventure, art, conversation, and/or meeting interesting people. If you are traveling with expectations of luxurious pillows or marble bathrooms, keep looking. EVB&C is an affordable, clean, safe, and potentially fun place to recharge before hitting the streets again. Even if I could afford to stay at The Plaza, Anne's Place will always be my first choice in NYC. I can't wait to return.

Can't Wait to Go Back!

by TripAdvisor Member andrealorraine

We stayed at the East Village Bed and Coffee (in the French Room) for five days this June and really loved the place. Our room was charming and spacious, and the common areas (kitchens, washrooms, and living rooms) were comfortable and clean. This hotel is in a great area, close to amazing shopping and restaurants. If you are not used to city life (traffic, noise, graffitti) you might be a bit overwhelmed, but otherwise this is a fantastic place.

feels like home

twas my first time to stay at a bed and breakfast place (sans breakfast, but really...) and i didn't have any expectations. i stayed at the flight room and felt right at home.
the decor, the ambience of the place, the comforts of home - ref, coffee, emac with internet access and printer... she even has umbrellas for the rainy days!
and anne is there when you need her, but not when you don't.
anne, will see you in november, maybe i'll bring friends along. you have given me a home in new york...

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!

If you are looking for a truly colorful and authentic place to stay in NYC (particularly Greenwich Village), then The East Village Bed and Coffee is the ONLY place to stay. Anne, the hostess, is impeccable: courteous, charming, and knowledgeable--you couldn't ask for a better person to assist you. The EVB&C is located in one of the most exciting parts of the city; in an authentic East Village neighborhood full of marvelous restaurants, bars, stores, etc. I stayed in the DOWNING STREET room--and although it was small, it was VERY COZY. However, please note that the area in which the EVB&C is located is VERY festive at night--especially after midnight. If this does not concern you, then you will have a GREAT time at the EVB&C--and the East Village itself. Believe me, this B & B, and this part of the East Village, ROCK!!!

Comments