Eastgate Tower

222 East 39th Street, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Exellent location but only average rating

If you read reviews from this hotel you notice that those vary a lot. The room was ok, but just ok, the service was ok, but just ok. If you wait clean and fresh room, this is not probably the correct one. But there were no leaks in the bathroom or ceiling, the furniture wa osdish, but the kitchen and equipment worked. Some troubles with coffee maker, but here we have got used to other systems.

No free wifi, but if you are high (in 11th I got some Wlan working, but not in 7th) there is some possibilities to "loan" some network.

The location is perfect, some five minutes walk to Gentral Station.

I need to confirm my flights when leaving and I paid for hotel desktop. Of course there were some compatubility problems with printing, but I got the papers from office. Probably my fault only :)

Directions: Midtown East, 38th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

• penpoison's Profile Photo

Another recommended suite hotel

If by chance you do not get reservations for the southgate hotel, then try to get reservations at the eastgate. I was fortunate enough to land a reservation for new year's eve for about 4-6 people.

Hotel rooms are bigger than some manhattan apartments and can accommodate a group comfortably. A good value for size.

Unique Quality: Efficiency and good size rooms for the price. Location is on the manhattan east side. Walking distance to United Nations. Also, can find some eating places on 2nd or 3rd avenue. Can walk 15 minutes to times square or to 34th street. Quiet neighborhood.

Directions: # 4, 5, 6 train line to grand central station or #6 to 33rd Street station

More about Eastgate Tower

Eastgate met all high expectations!

I've stayed at Eastgate Tower Suite hotel from July 10th until July 24th with my wife for our honeymoon trip. After thorough search (mostly through Tripadvisor), we opted for Eastgate based on reviews, and then location, price and amenities.
We've booked a junior suite directly with the hotel even though we could've found a better deal through some other travel agency. I would've used that 'card' if found in a situation to argue the quality of service.
Fortunately, it wasn't needed at all. In my reservation I had mentioned that this was a honeymoon trip, that we want to make it as special as possible and that we'd like a non-smoking suite with street view above 5th floor. What we got was beyond any expectation: great suite on 22nd floor with street view (everything is street view from that height which we found especially interesting and NY-ish), path from the door to the bed of rose petals, bed covered with petals and a couple of roses, more petals in the bathroom, couple more roses on the table, a personalized greeting card from the hotel, two small boxes with chocolate candies, a book of love poetry, champagne and, erm, can of whipped cream on a silver tray in the fridge. We were hoping for something extra but this was really nice! Suite was great, very spacious for the two of us, much light from outside and also many lamps inside, furniture in very good shape, comfy bed, all very clean, even the carpet which is usually in poor shape in many hotels. The bathroom was also in an excellent shape and as clean as possible. Everything was functioning properly: AC, TV, phone, microwave, stove, fridge... Closet space was more than enough for a longer stay like ours (for 2 people, anyway...). Towels and sheets were changed daily and cleaning staff was respecting our daily late-leaving. Surrounding didn't seem any dangerous and we didn't mind some walking from and to the hotel (5th Avenue is 5 blocks away, subway at Grand Central station also 5 blocks away, Loews movie theater 7 small blocks downtown @ 2nd and 32nd, several 24hrs convenience stores in the same block, many fine delis all around the neighborhood (we especially liked Food Merchants @ 40th st between Park and Madison for breakfast). Didn't try the resident Sogno restaurant, though...
Staff was also exceptionally nice, as expected based on the reviews. As we've had a late flight back to Europe, it was no problem to check-out at 6pm.
Any bad things after all this praising? Well, the elevators could be somewhat faster, the lobby is very small, as well as the corridors on the floors. Wood furniture (tables, bedside cabinets, drawer cabinet...) would look finer in dark wood than in ivory-colored combination... These aren't really bad things: if we wanted giant lobby, spacious corridors with armchairs, superquick elevators and mahogany furniture, we'd look for the most expensive hotel in NYC. For all other details, Eatsgate was just as fine.
Have we just been fortunate or treated better since it was a honeymoon? I doubt it. I guess that some rooms might be in different shape but I'm sure that a staff this helpful can overcome each issue with a guest. We didn' have any, really.
Eastgate Tower has met all our high expectations and we will surely come there again, hopefully already next summer for our 'honeymoon re-run'.

Excellent value, comfortable, clean, nice staff

by TripAdvisor Member WMaTrav

Stayed here two days in late March. Staff was very friendly and helpful (sent someone up within three minutes to fix a sticky door lock). Room was very clean with no musty smell and no carpet deodorizer to cover up. Bathroom was fine, spotless. Enormous amount of closet space. Was great to have the fridge, microwave, and stove. We were on the tenth floor, so there was virtually no noise. It's in a quiet, safe area, with anything you need on either 2nd or 3rd Aves. We paid $138 on the Web, and for that price, it's pretty much unbeatable. Would definitely stay here again.

Affordable weekend getaway

by TripAdvisor Member PDDNOSMom

We stayed overnight on 3/20 to celebrate our aniversary. We checked in, and originally were given a very smoky room, which we asked to change.
(I never specified "non-smoking" when I made the reservations and I wasn't asked if I had a preference - so if you have a preference be sure to state it!) We were then upgraded to a very nice junior suite on the 25th floor, and were not charged the difference. Incidentally, we were also with another couple and the bellman went out of his way to go to their room (which was very nice) to let them know that we had changed rooms! This was above average service in a city where you do not always find this. The only negative comment I would make is that the decor, while nice, isn't quite as luxurious as the website leads you to believe. This was a nice place to stay in NYC and a junior suite is more than adequate if you bring your family with you.

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ShazzaUK

Just returned from New York with my boyfriend (10/4/04-15/4/04) and stayed at the Eastgate. Were put on the 7th floor and there was very little noise from the traffic. Room was spacious and clean though a little drab, 2 very comfortable double beds which you need after a hard days sightseeing and I loved having the versatility of the kitchenette.
We were so tired one night we enjoyed a take away in our room!! The location is not bad if you dont mind a good walk to the main attractions. Your on 39th st 3rd Ave and this being our 1st time to New York didnt know what to expect but was told theres load of walking.
However having had 3 days of heavy rain wished we'd stayed a little closer to 5th Avenue but saying that there are buses if you want. The nearest metro stop (I think) was at Grand Central which is also a fair walk. But saying all that there wouldnt have been a problem if the weather had stayed fine. The staff were helpful. Checking out time is 12 noon and the receptionist said without even being asked if we had a later flight keeping our bags were no problem. Overall had a wonderful time in New York and will definitely be going back. We would have no problem in booking Eastgate again.

Good place

by TripAdvisor Member UtterlyArt

My wife and I stayed 7 nights at beginning of April 04. Our room lacked any character (dreadful 'modern' paintings) and was a bit scuffed round the edges, but was comfortable enough. On the 20th floor there was no traffic noise and very little noise from neighbours. The staff were all fantastic, the neighbourhood was quiet (with lots of conveniences stores and delis). The restaurant (Il Sogno) is excellent, but not cheap. Overall an unmemorable place to stay - but for all the right reasons

Great location for the price

by TripAdvisor Member BristolVicki

My partner and I stayed at the Eastgate over the May day bank holiday weekend. We had got the Eastgate as part of a really good deal on Expedia for £350 including flights (with good flight times) for 4 nights. The Eastgate is a lot shabbier than it looks on its pictures and is a little tatty around the edges, but its clean and tidy and has all the basics that you require. Having the kitchenette and a dining table is handy as a couple of nights we were too tired to go out we brought back some takeout and you can keep cold drinks in the fridge. We were on the 5th floor and so did get street noise and the windows dont hold out any noise at all, fortunately though its not a particulary busy street and was usually pretty quiet overnight. A maid came every day and changed our towels, made our bed and did any washing up. The Eastgate is in a great location to get to all the sites on foot or if you prefer by subway as Grand Central Station is within 5 minutes walk. There are plenty of bars, pubs, restaurants, delis and shops nearby. Basically the Eastgate doesnt offer any frills, but offers a clean place to sleep, at a good location for a great price and if you are anything like we were, you spend very little time there anyway.

Excellent value and good location.

My wife and I spent 6 nights at the Eastgate (16-21 May) and we couldn't fault the hotel. This was our 2nd trip to New York - 1st trip we made the mistake of staying at the Pennsylvania - having learnt our lesson there we knew we would have to pay a bit more to get acceptable accomodation -the Eastgate didn't let us down.
We stayed in a one bed suite (13th floor) and it was a real treat to have a kitchen, large lounge, 2 double beds, an en-suite bathroom and a cloakroom. All of the accomodation was extremely clean, well presented and roomy. There is maid service every day and there was little noise from the street.
I requested a smoking room and fully expected a smoky aroma with yellow stained walls and ceilings - I was totally amazed that the suite was so clean and without any smell or evidence that it actually was a smoking suite - I had to check with reception that we had been put in the right suite.
The staff at the Eastgate all were very friendly and helpful.
We didn't try the restaurant on the ground floor as we felt the prices looked a bit steep but there are so many local bars, restaurants & diners that you don't have to look far for a good value meal.
Some revieweres have mentioned that the Eastgate is a bit isolated and a lot of walking is needed to get to the main areas of Manhattan - with so many places to visit in the city over such a large area it doesn't matter where you stay you've got a lot of leg work to do......I personally don't mind a bit of walking - helps to burn some off some of the calories.
Overall an excellent hotel and we look forward to returning.

The Eastgate's great!

by TripAdvisor Member BATraveller

The Eastgate is a great pace to stay with friendly, helpful staff and clean, spacious rooms. All previous reviews are helpful, and add a hint to all future guests - check out the buses because it is a fair distance to Grand Central. There are stops on 3rd and 2nd streets that go uptown and downtown respectively, and link with the subway with maps available in the Eastgate reception.
Metro cards for 7 days are 21 dollars, for unlimited travel on subway and bus, a great bargain.
Would definitely go back to this hotel on the next visit.

Great hotel & Location

Excellent hotel, with an excellent location! About 5 min walk to Empire state and 10-15 mins to Times square and about 5 min walk to nearest subway if you don't fancy walking. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff were so friendly, the rooms were big and clean. The kitchen and fridge were useful as it was hot and it was great to be able to store drinks somewhere cold. As our flight home was not until the evening the staff took our lugguage so we could do some last minute shopping and took the liberty of ordering a taxis to the airport for us.( cheaper taxis fare) This hotel was a great find and would definitely recommend it.

Comments