2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

302 West 47th Street, (Formerly Sherman Hotel), New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Official Site

Rated 15% higher but also costs 23% more than other 2.5 star hotels

• Really good deal

Go like their Facebook page and get a discount !!!

Unique Quality: Great deal, well situated, it's really close by everything you want to see in NYC !

Directions: In the heart of Times Square, gorgeous :P

More about Econo Lodge Times Square

Great location, tiny rooms, a little overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member gcgirl30

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge Times Square during the US Open. This is a bare bones kind of place, but nonetheless rooms were clean, staff was helpful and the hotel is just around the corner from a lot of good restaurants on 46th Street and also on 9th Ave. Also very closeby to the subway. Only drawback was the room was VERY tiny (the bathtub was about 3/4 the size of your standard tub), but you come to expect this with the budget hotels in Times Square. Fortunately, we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so this wasn't a problem for us.

This Hotel is a Diamond in the Ruff!

by TripAdvisor Member dallasgurl

I am a person who likes to stay at new hotels. In New York; I quickly found out "new" means gutted out...but I was very impressed with how quaint the lobby was. The rooms were really clean...the only thing is it was quite small for 2 adults. I didn't mind it at all because when you go to New York; your not there necessarily to stay inside. The room was barely bigger than a storage closest. This location was right in the heart of everything going on in Times Square and if you are there for theatre performances; it's a great location! The only thing is; if you get there before check in; they do not have a bathroom or a place where you can change your clothes. For example, we paid to check our baggage in because we came straight from the airport dressed in first class business attire. So I ended up going through my bags, pulling out shorts and headed to Toy's R S' bathroom for a quick Clark Kent wardrobe change. Although this is besides the point....I would definitely go back to this hotel. One other thing: I did not like the way Travelocity over charged my card. After checkout, the hotel printed me out my 2 day stay with taxes included for about $215. Travelocity charged an additional $61 dollars. After I called them, they at first acted like my state taxes and other charges were not reflective in what the hotel gave me in the $215. When I told them, Econo Lodge gave me a print out of the state taxes and other charges; they agreed to refund my card the extra 61 dollars. Just beware of booking through 3rd parites or watch your statements closely. Other than that...this Hotel was the bomb!

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member rita_m

It was our first time in New York and we stayed at the Econo Loge Times Square for 4 nights in the beginning of August 06. After reading reviews of all the hotels in New York I wasn't expecting much, especially for the price we paid! The hotel was in a great location and it was very clean! Of coarse the rooms were tiny and yes the elevator was slow. But we were barely in our hotel and we took the stariwell up to the second floor. The air conditioner worked great, the water was hot, and the room was spotless. They even have those little extras you don't expect for the price you pay, continental breakfast with your standard items, free newspaper at your door in the am, fresh toiletries in the bathroom, in room safe, ironing board, etc.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to the budget minded traveler who is looking for an affordable clean place to stay.

Fantastic,slap bang in the middle of NY.

by TripAdvisor Member xxflatfootxx

Stayed for a week in August. The room took four of us, two adults plus two teenage kids. The rooms are small and there is not a lot of wardrobe or storage space.This is the only downside to this hotel. the rooms are spotless with an ensuite, cleaned every day. Staff at the reception are superb, nothing is too much trouble and they do their very best to help you. The hotel is two blocks from Times Square, and four blocks from the Metro. Location is 100%. You get a continental breakfast which you collect from the lobby and take it to your room. This is a good hotel and I would definitely use it again

way too small, but clean

by TripAdvisor Member vandalay

The good:
This Hotel is conveniently located on 8th avenue, a block from times square. It’s been recently renovated, and therefore everything in the room is new, including a flat screen TV.

The Bad:
Even for NY standards, the rooms are way too small, especially the double rooms. We had a family of four and if someone needed to go to the bathroom or wanted to leave the room, everyone else had to get completely on the bed to make room. Our room also happened to be facing 8th avenue and it got really loud till past 2am. The continental breakfast consists of cereal, bad bagels (no cream cheese) and Entemens pastries. However, there’s no place to eat any of these items as the lobby only contains a front desk and no place to sit.

The Ugly:
The hotel elevator is so slow, that you really think it’s stuck at times. We ended up just taking the stairs, (a stuffy hot stairwell) rather than using the elevator.

Summary:
I think that they’re really trying to make this a nice place to stay, but when they were remodeling should have tried to make the rooms a bit larger. They just try to cram too much into a small room. If it’s just two of you traveling, and you only plan on sleeping in the room and not spending any time in it otherwise, then this hotel is okay. We were able to cancel the rest of our reservation and found rooms at the Super 8 hotel on 46st street for $30 less a night. A much nicer hotel with larger rooms and better breakfast.

Central and safe

by TripAdvisor Member karenjane

Booked this hotel for my 18 year daughter and friend. They stayed for 7 nights starting 22/.8/06. Room was small but very clean, and the hotel was only 3 minutes walk from Times Square. Location was excellent. They were both very happy with the hotel, staff were very helpful and friendly and they felt safe.

Great location, friendly staff, tiny rooms...probably worth $125.

by TripAdvisor Member brainman73

This hotel has a great central location, right near the heart of midtown Manhattan/Theater District. Many of the most significant tourist sites in NYC are within a 10-20 minute walk. Given the location, it would be very difficult to find anything less expensive with such accessability to so many places. I paid $125 per night (AAA rate), and that seems like a good deal, especially considering the other big-name hotels nearby charge 2 to 4 times more per night. The staff was friendly and helpful; they even let me use their computer to print out my airplane boarding pass. The continental breakfast was modest but tolerable (large muffins, 2 kinds of cereal, packets of instant oatmeal, bananas, apples, bagles, and juice). The room was tiny. I estimate that the room was not much larger than 100 square feet. The king-sized bed took up nearly all of the floor space. Even by NYC standards, this is quite small; however, I suppose that most people who stay here aren't coming to NY to spend a lot of time in a hotel room, so I will gladly sacrifice a little floor space for extra cash to spend out on the town. There was a nice LG flatscreen TV mounted to the wall; however, the lack of remote control made it inconvenient (had to climb across the bed and reach up to change the channel or volume). I did not notice the slowness of the elevator that others have complained about in other postings here; I even counted. From the time I pushed the button for my floor (2nd floor) to the time it reached the floor and opened the door was 9 seconds; perhaps it takes longer for the upper floors, but it wasn't bad at all for the 2nd floor. There was a little noise at night, but it's like that all through the city. Since this hotel is not right on 8th Ave, but rather 100 feet away from the 8th Ave intersection, much of the loud 8th Ave noise didn't reach the hotel. All in all, I would probably stay here again if I were traveling alone (or with spouse), and if I wanted an inexpensive place close to all the sites.

World's biggest cockroach!

by TripAdvisor Member Harry9Balls

We booked at this hotel because of the good reviews, but...when we arrived at 10:00 pm, we found the world's biggest cockroach (about 3") walking around the bathroom. The front desk sent someone up to remove it but there were no other rooms and it was too late to find another hotel so we spent the night but obviously didn't sleep. The hotel didn't offer a discount or even an apology. Also, the internet cables were too short to allow us to use the computer at the desk and the bed wasn't very comfortable. All this for $225/night. We moved to the Hilton Times Squarefor the rest of our vacation for only $50 more and couldn't be happier.

Convenient but Cramped

by TripAdvisor Member KellyWanderlust

For our three-day vacation, my friend and I chose the Econo Lodge for its location near theaters. It was also convenient to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, one of the drop-off spots used by the Airport Shuttle from JFK (which I would highly recommend if you want to save $ by not getting a cab.)

Pros of this hotel include:
-A fair price for the theater area. We paid ~180 for a room with two doubles. This included a continental breakfast.

-Location near theaters, the overrated restaurant row, and a block from a subway line

-Pleasant, helpful desk staff

- Clean accommodations with sufficient air conditioning

-Breakfast with big NYC bagels, juices, coffee, pastries, and fruit that we took along in our daybags.

Cons include:
-A small room. I've seen worse, though. For two women, the bathroom storage was inconvenient. Hard to find a place to hang our towels.

-A charge for baggage storage. I know this is common, but it would be a nice touch if it were included. When we arrived early afternoon - some rooms were ready, and some weren't. Because our double wasn't, we had to pay for bag storage, and we had to pay for it again on check out day, adding $12 to our bill. More inconvenient than the cost is the lack of a changing space or restroom for waiting guests. We felt a little uncomfortable unzipping our suitcases in the small lobby to get our necessities for sightseeing.

-8th Avenue Atmosphere. I you haven't been to the Times Square vicinity before, know that 8th Avenue isn't as polished as Broadway. 8th is full of trinket shops and newsstands and lacks charm. We felt safe, and even went to a few bars near the hotel, but I would be a bit uncomfortable walking the area at night if I were traveling solo.

-The Elevator! We took the stairs. Thankfully, we were on the 2nd floor.

Consensus: Might be worth it if "Times Square on a budget" is your agenda. But also check into the Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Super 8, Hotel Edison, and Radio City Apartments. Next time, I I'll try staying in a upper or lower Manhattan and taking the train to see the shows.

Safe

by coast2coast_rr

Could someone advise me how safe it is in the area listed below? Also tell me about this hotel? How could would it be around the end of March in NY.

Econolodge
302 W47th St
Ny,Ny 10036

Thanks In Advance

by 10028

Here's a link to tripadvisor's reviews of the hotel:

It's quite safe, very touristy, very crowded.

by TexasDave

I don't know anything about that hotel in particular but it is right in the Times Square or Theater District- lots of tourists, restaurants, etc. No more dangerous than any other large city and exercise normal precautions.

RE: RE: Safe

by randinichole

I am traveling to NY next month and booked a very neat looking hotel near that area. It is the Herald Square Hotel. It was much cheaper than the econolodge and looks much more intersting. Give it a try! http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/

by nyceagle1633

Safe, but it is NYC, so just be aware of your surroundings.

Comments