(2.5 star hotel)

Highbrae's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 2, 2012

Have stayed in hotels from $39 to over $3,000 per night and for NYC, this one is priced where it belongs. We traveled down with a bus tour run by McCoy Bus Lines from Kingston, Ontario for the first and last time. Be prepared to trip, bodycheck or just shank your fellow passengers if you want a good seat because according to our guide the Bus line doesn't care and you are on your own. For the price I knew I wasn't staying at The Plaza and I didn't. I assume when the tour company squeezes them for prices they give the old unrenovated rooms to those customers. I would look forward to visiting on my own as I think the service can be very impressive under the right conditions.

1) The Room: 919 - Old unrenovated. New windows. Plumbing and furnishings that were new when Hoover was in office. Sheets were clean and no signs of tiny livestock (on us or linens) older oversized closet (walk-in is a stretch) nice size however the anti-theft hanger system is a pain if you travel with your own hangers. Bathroom was the same vintage as the beautiful lobby although not as well maintained. No Bar Fridge (although, their web site says I will have to leave a credit card to use the fridge or the phone) and no WI-FI without the $9.95 per day charge. Disappointed that I couldn't check with home in Canada without extra charges in roaming fees, rooms phone charges or Internet access. Our view was awful however, I have no doubt there are worse views and you are staying in Manhatten so just what view do you expect for what you are paying?

2) The Hotel: It's New Years Eve in NYC, they have one ice machine in the entire hotel (really!?) and it's broken. So not impressed. The lobby? it is a work of art and I so wished the rest of the hotel lived up to its promise. I know they are trying to keep up the renovation work and I know it is not easy to get everything done as quickly as people want, they could be a little more honest with their web site and show what they offer today. Not what they will offer in the future (renovated rooms) or what they offered many years ago (the views from their rooftop of Times Square which have been blocked for years).

3) The Location: A 5 minute walk from times Square when we were there for New Years Eve was a huge bonus. Theatres all around, and most a very short walk, first rate for that advantage. 5 - 10 minutes down 46th takes you into Restaurant Row, choose your cuisine and price range and you will find it, many Zagat rated.

4) The attached Coffee/Breakfast shop. Is a downtown city, breakfast eatery. It's fast, cheap and average. If you want the Waldorf go there and pay $25 for Eggs Benedict not $9.95. One warning, like much of NYC the gratuity is included so watch your tipping.

Unique Quality: 1. Location - To Times Square
2. Location - Theatre
3. Location - Restaurant Row
4. Lobby

Right in the center of things

by written on March 31, 2011

The Edison is in mid-redo and we were on a floor being worked on but there was no noise in the evening. Furnishings were a bit battered but the sheets and blanket were white and clean and housekeeping was fine. The lobby is redone and there is a hotel shop (open to 12pm) and old fashioned restaurant off the lobby - plain, fast and good - cash only. The bock across the street has a Starbucks on each corner and there are two other breakfast/lunch places on the block. From here you can walk to most theaters and to many good restaurants. The concierges were helpful in getting tickets and restaurant reservations and directions. The crowds in Times Square are amazing but the hotel is off the square and the crowds don't really go down this street. Because of its proximity to the Square, they do have security in the lobby so no one can use the elevators without a key card. My mom and i were perfectly fine and felt safe. A very busy place.

Unique Quality: Location - near theaters (and movie theaters), subway and dining. It is about a 40 block (short sides) up to the Metropolitan Museum which is not casual but you can also walk easily to St.Patrick's and Rockefeller Plaza and all the morning shows.

Directions: West of Times Square.

gugi66's Profile Photo

NO NO NO NO NO NO

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 31, 2011

Oh my God. This is the WORST hotel I´v ever stayed at. At arrival they were very helpful. The room where OK BUT the windows were really bad there were draught from every window (really cold). The heating system (a pipe went through the bathroom) was terrible, at nights when the system was heating up there were loud bangings from the pipes it felt like a construction work at the room nextdoor ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT it was impossible to sleep.

An other thing was our radiator thats located below the window wasn´t working so i called to the reception to ask if the could send someone to fix it or if we could change rooms, the answer I got was: there is no one here at the time to fix the radiator and we don´t have any other rooms, check back tomorrow morning!!!!!!!.

The next day I called down and asked the same question, they send someone up, after a while the repairman called the frontdesk and said: they must change rooms I cant fix the radiator!! And we got a new room (now it was available!!!?????)

OK our NEW room: SAME PROBLEM no heat from the radiator. This time I went down to the frontdesk and asked for the manager in charge, a woman came out with a angry look, I explained that we changed rooms and the radiator wasn´t working there either, and I want to change to a room where the radiator WORKS!!!! She looked in the computer and said this i the last room I have for you with a really nonchalant voice (like it was my fault that the radiators didn´t work !!???) and THREW the card keys on the desk and said room 518 and turned aroud and went away!!!!!

Fu**^k idiot, I will NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN...

Ok that was the rooms now the breakfast restaurant: same there unfriendly staff and the food (pooyuck) even I cook better than that (and I don´t cook so often at home)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO TO THIS HOTEL. DONT SPOIL YOUR TRIPP TO NYC PICK ANOTHER HOTEL.

T

Unique Quality: THE ONLY THING POSITIVE IS THE LOCATION OF THIS HOTEL, EVERYTHING ELSE IS CRAP. DONT CHOOSE THIS HOTEL.

Directions: By Times Square

illtryanythingonce's Profile Photo

Best value near Times Square/Broadway

by written on November 11, 2010

Our third time at the Edison Hotel and it just gets better. Renovations of most floors of the hotel mean a clean, reasonably priced and quiet place to enjoy the lights and hustle/bustle of Times Square. Literally feet away from the Red Stairs, the Edison Hotel is great for couples or a girlfriend "getaway". Rooms are not spacious, but ask for a room with two beds and fold-out sofa and you will be pleasantly surprised - two queen beds, one full-sized sofa, coffee table, desk, two occasional chairs and TWO CLOSETS! Yes, it does exist in mid-town - value for your dollar! If you arrive early (or need to check out but can't leave), bag check is only 50 cents per bag right in the lobby. Did I mention the wonderful restaurant, Cafe Edison? Take-out is awesome, fast and delicious. Coffee and bagels in the morning - no waiting! For everything else, there is a deli right outside of the doors where you can get hot/cold food to go and beer. Security is terrific (you must show a room key to access the elevators) and the door man Bobby will help you with all transportation questions. Rooms are clean (bed-bug free!), the staff is terrific and the location can absolutely not be beat! Check them out the next time you need to stay in mid-town/Times Square. You will not regret it!

Unique Quality: Clean, great location - steps from restaurants, Broadway theaters, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, subway - beautiful art deco lobby, quiet and secure, great restaurant on site.

Directions: Hell's Kitchen/Times Square/Broadway

rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Just off Times Square

by written on August 16, 2010

The Edison was built in the early 20th Century in the popular Art Deco style and still has that appeal. They seem to be in the process of renovating a small bit at a time which is doubtless needed but we stayed in a small suite that had not been redone and found it very nice. We had our 10 year-old grandson with us and the suite had a bedroom and sitting room with a sofa bed which worked very well for him. While I don’t think there are any low priced hotels in New York, the Edison is considerably less than some and it’s location is ideal. It is a 2 minute walk to Times Square and a lot of Broadway theaters are in easy walking distance as well.
We paid about $300 per night for our little suite. But be aware that there are taxes and recovery fees (whatever those are) that added about $50 per night, but I am sure this would be the case with any hotel. The Edison does have a good concierge who was very helpful to us, transportation service desk, business/internet center and a fitness center. I didn’t use the last two but suspect that there are extra charges for them.

VonDutch's Profile Photo

The Art Deco style hotel

by written on January 26, 2010

The hotel was build in 1931. Really nice art deco hotel in the center of Manhattan, approximately 100 meters from Times Square. On walking distance from Broadway, Rockefeller center, Radio City Music Hall etc. Beautiful rooms and kind staff. Own a nice restaurant and bar.

Unique Quality: Hotel in Art Deco style, restaurant/bar

Peterodl's Profile Photo

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2008

Stayed in the Hotel Edison for one night, room 1809, August 15-16, 2008. The location right off broadway and times square couldn't be better. There is a subway stop across the street for easy commuting as well.
Built in 1931, the hotel lobby is decorated in 1930s Art Deco style with colorful murals in the waiting area in front of the reception desk.
The furniture in the waiting area could stand to be updated as I noticed some of the material to be fraying with use.
The room was nice and had wireless internet ($8/day) and two tv. Everything was clean but the pull-out couch could stand to be repaired as there was a cut into the armrest of the couch in the room. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.
The reception desk staff were friendly and helpful.
Next to the hotel is the Edison Cafe where you can grab a quick meal for a reasonable price.
I would stay at the Edison again and would enjoy it but I would like to see some of the furniture updated and fixed.

RWFAN's Profile Photo

Perfect location!

by written on February 24, 2008

This was the first time that I had stayed anywhere other than that Comfort Inn Manhattan, and boy was I impressed! It's relatively cheap compared to other hotels downtown, and the location is amazing! Situation next door to the swanky W Hotel, your are mere steps from Times Square as soon as you walk out the door; and there is a Starbucks acrossed the street, what more could you ask for!

I didn't deal much with the staff, but as far as I know they were pretty amiable. At night there is a guy that monitors the elevators and you have to show your key card to gain access to the rooms... a nice security feature.

I would totally recommend this hotel, if not for the location alone!

Unique Quality: The rooms were much better than I have been told. We had a room with 2 double beds that was quite spacious! The shower had great pressure, but it was a little difficult to control the temperature at times.

Directions: 47th between 8th and Broadway, pretty much IN Times Square. 6 minute walk from Central Park/Carnegie Hall as well.

Times Square without the lights

by written on November 30, 2007

Hotel Edison is a beautiful art deco style hotel that is less than 1 block off of Times Square - so close and yet so far! The hotel is beautifully decorated with entrances on both 47th & 46th Street. Rooms are cozy but don't seem cramped with plenty of amenities - big beds, nice linens. Less modern than some but very comfortable. Windows/view can be non-existant but who wants the noise and lights? Bar in lobby is great - sometimes performers from the local broadway theaters come over after hours to enjoy some impromptu singing. Location is the key, though, with Central Park only a few blocks away, the theaters in the back yard and Times Square out the front door. Check online prices for a deal.

Unique Quality: Design of lobby, location

Directions: Times Square, baby!

A very nice hotel in a great location

by written on April 8, 2007

The Edison Hotel has an excellent staff that is very helpful. The best thing about this hotel is it's location on 47th Street right in the heart of Time Square and the Theatre District. I stay at this hotel whenever I am in New York for pleasure. You won't go wrong.

Unique Quality: Location, Location, Location. - Do I need to say it again. Location, Location, Location. Subway close by. The heart of Time Square and the Theatre District. Also a great restruant for Breakfast.

Directions: Time Square and the Theatre District.

RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Couldnt get more central!

by written on April 26, 2006

A great hotel in a great location, just 200mts from Times Square and Broadway. Built in 1931 in the Art Deco style of Radio City Music Hall, theres a good buzzy feel to this place. A huge Reception area but all the staff seemed pretty friendly, when Id been warned not to expect too many smiles from the New Yorkers. It was perfect for our 5 days in the city and altho there was snow everywhere, this had been stacked at the side of the roads and the pavements were easy walking. Comfy rooms but somewhat small, and nice lounge areas, all added to a great experience for our first time visit. The only downside was that the rooms in January were sooooooo hot and you couldnt turn the heating down!

Unique Quality: Breakfast was fab in their Edison Cafe. Pink booths and excellent service were a great novelty to us Brits and the breakfast of pancakes,sausage, bacon, eggs was to die for. Try a cocktail in the Rum House Bar in the hotel...good West Indian decor adds to the buzzy atmosphere.

Directions: Between 8th Street and Broadway.

dawgfan's Profile Photo

Right in the middle of it all.

by written on February 25, 2006

I've stayed at the Edison twice. It's perfect if you're wanting to stay right in the middle of everything; it's located on Times Square.

The hotel is very nice for the price range. The Art Deco decor adds an elegant feel to a reasonably priced hotel.

The staff is very courteous.

Directions: Times Sqaure

LINDstu's Profile Photo

Amidst all the action

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 23, 2005

This hotel is huge and right between Broadway and Times Square. The rooms were pleasant albeit old fashioned with TV and broadband internet access.Plenty of towels changed daily.
Downside was no tea making or refrigeration facilities. You can get an ice bucket brought to your room or food and drink delivered from the onsite cafe within it's opening hours.
We were on the 15th floor and it was very quiet.
I do not think it was worth the money and would rather have stayed elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Broadway shows right outside the door.
A bar and a restaurant on the premises with live music.
A gym.

Directions: Between Broadway and Times Square.

Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

BEST LOCATION & REASONABLE

by written on October 30, 2004

We stayed here on are first and so far only trip to New York. The location is perfect, just a few feet from Time Square. There is a great little bar on the first floor with windows looking out to the street. We planned our after dinner drink at the window so we could watch Al Pachino exit the stage door across the street. We spent the extra money and booked a mini-suite and I believe it was well worth the money. The room was actually two separate rooms, a living room with a sofa sleeper, closet, recliner chair, TV, coffee table, and end table. The bedroom was about the same size and separated by a door. The bed was king size, two end tables, TV, and closet. Bathrooms are small but clean and with plenty of hot water. The entire room was probably about 350 square feet. We were on the 14th floor toward the back and the view was fine. The cost was a lot less than what I expected to pay for a place in Time Square, in 2003 we paid $180 per night, I think they are up to $200 now. But the hotel is great, staff is friendly and there is no better location. TIP: Around 10:00 – 11:00 am hang out around the half price ticket booth just down the street from the hotel watch for somebody with a clipboard and watching the crowd. Then just hang around looking like a tourist. These are the guys who give away the canceled TV show tickets for that afternoon. We were offered tickets to the David Letterman show at 3:00 PM that afternoon, but it was the day we were leaving so we had to turn him down. I had watched the guy for a few minutes and he was sizing up the crowd before he approached us and made the offer.

B_way_Joe's Profile Photo

Reasonably Priced for New York City

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 10, 2004

The Edison is just steps from Times Square and the Theater District. The Hotel staff is friendly and helpful.
The rooms are a reasonable size but the bedding was a bit flat. We had to order a few extra pillows that came right away, but it would be nice if there were already extras in our room. The air conditioning was good. The bathroom was old but clean. No hairdryer here you have to call for it. You need to call for an iron if you want one too. Who wants to spend this much time on the phone? All right I can live with this, but when I found that ice was available only by phone and at a small price I had to say 'aw come on!'
The Hotel overnight stay was nice and quiet. Hotel security is good, a nice place for we older, family folk.

Unique Quality: No pool, no particular views, but the hotel itself is artsy built in the style of Radio City Music Hall. The main attraction is location and price. You can walk to the Broadway shows and use the money you save to purchase extra tickets.

Directions: Theater District

Nearby Edison Hotel

• Edison Towers Times Square
  • Edison Hotel New York City
  • Edison Towers Time Square
  • Edison Hotel Nyc
  • Hotel Edison New York City
  • Edison Towers New York

Address: 228 West 47th Street, Between 8th Avenue and Broadway, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

15 Photos of Edison Hotel

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Embassy Suites Hotel New York City
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews