Essex House

160 Central Park South, (formerly Essex House Westin), New York City, New York, 10019, United States

JW Marriott Essex House New York
JWMarriott.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• No working toilet, no cares by the staff

We didn't have a working toilet for 24 hours and despite numerous requests to get it fixed, it never was dealt with. After 24 hours of not being able to use the toilet in our room, we finally requested a new room and the new room's AC did not work. We had to move a third time before we could find a room with a working toilet AND working AC. The entire experience took hours away from our time that should have been spent with friends and family enjoying NYC.

In addition, the clothing iron in our room did not work and when we requested a different one to replace it, it took hours to do and it was well after we actually needed it.

After speaking with the manager Mr. Tavares, all we received for all of our troubles was a voucher for a breakfast buffet and a promise that if we ever decided to stay here again we could ask for a room upgrade. Why on earth a manager thinks that is an appropriate response is beyond me - why would we ever stay here again? We just spent over a thousand dollars for the privilege of not having a working toilet.

One other addendum: prior to leaving, someone came by and verified that we did not use any drinks from the minibar, but yet when we received our final bill we had four pages of printouts that charged us hundreds of dollars in bogus minibar charges.

Directions: great location off Central Park

• 1smartblonde's Profile Photo

APPEARS TO BE 5 STAR

Generally, great location, walking distance of subways, shopping and if your healthy…. the theater district! Mostly the advantages of a four/five star. Tastefully restored historic lobby, 5star restaurant/lounge, bellmen, doorman, security, etc., deposit boxes, ATM, gym, and new renovated rooms. Staff appeared to be friendly willing to satisfy and always on the move.

The newly renovated rooms is where they could lose a star. The rooms are spotless so no housekeeping worries! However, as a contractor
    /architectural myself, the problems in my opinion can be attributed to poor design and construction. The entire electric system in the room is ill thought. You turn the lights on through a panel on the phone. Sometimes the light came on right away and sometimes the system had to think about it a while. Even with all the lights on in the room, half the room is dim. Track lighting focused on the window is an absolute waste! Picture this … one side of the room is in darkness, you can look over and see how nicely illuminated the window treatments are!? The 1 outlet above the desk is the only outlet that made sense. There was an outlet in the bath (under the hanging hand towel) and one 7’ high ….. inside the closet! (Oh & by the way the closet had two lights in it. Could one of them been in the room!) We tried to use the iron; you had to either iron in the closet or in the doorway of the bathroom. Even though there was ample vacant wall space not an outlet to be had.

The bathroom. I can’t say I blame the hotel for this faux pas either. AS stated some designer and contractor lead them down the wrong path. The contemporary sink is an oversized bowl and strangely shaped allowing water to splash out everywhere. The faucets are awkwardly placed in the front. The toilet (probably a water saving design) appears to also have to think about it before it works. The new fiberglass tub already had a big chip in floor of the tub and where the bath door swings the stopper cracked the side. The faucet and showerheads are obviously installed incorrectly and starting to come apart from the base and look shabby. A 4” off colored square I noticed on the wallpaper was actually, upon closer examination a hole in the drywall that the wallpaperer just covered it right over.

The best part of the room is the plasma TV, new furniture and especially the BED. It was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in away from home. Even with the design issues, I’d return if they had a deal going. I hate to even give them just the four stars because I felt it was obvious the hotel was trying to live up to being one of the better NYC hotels but, I just had a room with potential problems.

Unique Quality: Lobby, hotel staff, plasma TV, comfy bed

Directions: Across the street from Central Park

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

Quiet , luxury on Central Park.......

I had a wonderful stay at the Essex House on Central Park, with a lovely park view room, luxurious accomodations, comfortable bed, extremely quiet room, nice touches in the room ( nice shower gels, shampoos, lighting scheme, nice tv,etc,etc)

Unique Quality: View of the park, extremely comfortable.......very very very quiet when you sleep..

Directions: Near Columbus Circle at 60th street and Central Park.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Luxury at it's Finest!

I'm sure the hotel has changed since my stay but I remember it was quite luxurious. Right now a room with king size bed will average $550 per night. I think when I went it was more like $275 (I could be mistaken). Anyway, it was an amazing experience! Located right across the street from Central Park.

• Classy NY stay

Having stayed at the sister hotel in Dubai - Mina a' Salam- we were keen to see if the Essex House could provide an equivalent level of service. We were not dissapointed.
    The hotel is on 58th Street directly opposite the popular entrance to Central Park, it isn't a spectacular looking hotel, tall but lots of concrete, although as you walk into Central Park it does look quite impressive. The Jumeirah Group are refurbishing the Hotel, and we were told this before travelling, however, we did not hear any noice whatsoever, and no evidence at all that work is ongoing. They have, we were told, refurbed up to the 18th floor, roughly half way, but it must be said that the quality and condition of our room was very good, only the odd sign that work was needed, i.e flaking paint on ceiling of shower, and aircon a little noisy.
    Our room overlooked Central Park giving spectacular sunrise and sunset views. Everything about the service in the Hotel was first class, couldn't fault it. Breakfast was expensive but just wonderful, as much freshly squeezed OJ as you could manage, anything food-wise you required, and loads of coffee and tea.
    The hotel is well positioned for Central Park, 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, Carnegie Hall etc, and once we'd got to grips with how the avenues and streets worked, very easy to walk to Times Square, Macy's, Empire State etc etc

Unique Quality: Service was outstanding

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Stay right on the Park at Essex House

We stayed at the Essex House on a trip to New York and it was fantastic. The hotel is right on Central Park South and our room overlooked the park. It's convenient to the subways and the bellhops can get you a cab quickly.

The hotel bar was outstanding. One of the snacks was wasabi coated fried peas which were awesome.

They also offer a full breakfast (not included) in the morning to get you going. The staff was friendly and helpful but you would expect that from a hotel of this quality.

Unique Quality: The prime attraction to this site is it's location. you walk across Central Park South and you are in the Park. It's close to the shopping district as well.

It's not a cheap stay, but in New York that's a relative term. For the location and quality of service though, I think it's worth a look if you are going to New York.

• heywinks's Profile Photo

Luxury

This hotel is very convenient. Close to Central Park, 5th Ave, & Carnegie Hall.
    The rooms are a good size for a NYC hotel & the marble bathroom is HUGE. It's expensive to stay here but worth it if you want something a bit fancier than the norm.

Directions: Columbus Circle area

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

Defines Upscale

On my first trip to Europe an Italian friend cautioned me about buying anything too close to the beach on the Ligurian Coast. The prices would always be higher near the beach.
    Central Park South (also know as 59th street) is as close as it gets to the "Beach" in Manhattan. It isn’t near the water but it forms the southern border of Central park on 59th street from Broadway east to Fifth avenue.

Unique Quality: The most expensive shops in the world surround you, Central Park is probably the view from your hotel room and the theatre, high-end dining and you’re your old Harvard pals on Park Avenue are within walking distance. The Intercontinental, the Essex House and The Plaza are all on Central Park South. The Intercontinental is a great Hotel, the Plaza is dumpy but proud and the others that line the street have their charms, but the Essex House is the white-glove clean leader of the pack. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, the service is superior and the restaurant one of the most expensive in the area. I would never stay there on my own nickel but for high-end business travelers – it is worth exploring.
    A note; I have not been back to the Hotel since Westin purchased it from Nikko - there may have been some slippage although the St. Regis floors are supposed to be quite special.

Directions: Central Park South:southern border of Central Park

More about Essex House

Essex House what about Essex Closet?

by TripAdvisor Member traveltree

When visiting NY I usually stay in hotels on Central Park: Plaza (temp closing), Mayflower (Trump?) Park Lane, St. Moritz (now the Ritz), and Essex House. The staff was wonderful. From check-in to check-out everyone working at the Essex House were highly professional. The building's architecture, lobby, public rooms, and park location, spectacular. My room was another story. The room was on par with the Plaza. Old, soiled, small, and expensive. I had a park view room on the 11th floor. The "view" window was small and single paned. It was snowing ouside and the room was absolutely freezing. Cold air was seeping in from the unsealed pane, which was so thin I was able to hear the horses hoofs on the pavement (charming); as well as yells, horns, sirens, and conversations (not charming). The smallish plush queeen bed took up ALL the space in the room but was very comfortable. The carpets were stained yet the soft down comforter was a pristine white. The grey and white marble bathroom, very clean. And once again, the location can't be beat. Would I stay here again? No. But I was glad I experienced one stay at the historic Essex House .

MANHATTAN Plaza Hotel and Essex HouseMANHATTAN Plaza Hotel and Essex House

JUMERIAH ESSEX HOUSE

by Donda

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any experience with the Essex House on Central Park?
thanks a lot

Re: JUMERIAH ESSEX HOUSE

by 10028

Read through the reviews on tripadvisor.com, and take a look at the Candid Traveler Photos. I believe the Essex House is being renovated, so check that you're booking a new room.

The location is excellent!

Re: JUMERIAH ESSEX HOUSE

by Donda

Dear 10028,
Thanks for the tip. I called them and asked them to put me in an already renovated room and they said they would do that. they told me renovation is almost done( thankfully). thanks for the advice because after i read your post,i called them.

Comments