3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Great Place to Celebrate a Birthday

I just returned from the great state of New York, and I have to say my stay at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central was awesome. My boyfriend was celebrating his birthday, so after walking to just about every place we went, it was nice to return to our nice, comfortable room at the Fitzpatrick. We arrived at the hotel at 6am in the morning after a long flight from California, and they allowed us to check into our room even though check-in was not until 3pm that day! We were very grateful for that. The pillow top mattress was very comfortable and having the robes and refridgerator in the room was a nice touch. Overall I found the hotel staff to be very friendly. One thing I reccommend is to get one of inside rooms to keep the noise out. Our room was so quiet, we slept in every day. I originally had booked us at the Radisson, but changed my mind because of the horrible reviews posted on this site. Just two days before my trip I was able to book at the Fitzpatrick, and I'm so glad I did. I would highly recommend staying there to anyone looking for a nice, comfortable hotel located in the heart of wonderful Manhatten!

Great hotel - would return again!

by TripAdvisor Member PRCLondon

Stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central over a long weekend in January. If you get a good deal on the price, it's a very decent hotel. We also noted that the flight crew from our flight over showed up just after we did so we thought early on it must be an ok place to stay!

Pro's
* The staff are very helpful and courteous, offering advice on local attractions, making swift reservations, sorting out airport transportation, etc. Nothing is too much to ask and our very late arrival was also handled smoothly.
* Rooms are very clean and the appearance of the hotel generally is good.
* The neighbourhood around 44th and Lexington feels safe - we had no concerns there.

Con's
* The rooms feel quite luxurious but they are VERY small, even for New York. There are no drawers, only a small closet which was full of extra pillows, bedding, so finding places to stash all your shopping is not easy!
* The location is not the best. As tourists, we have preferred to stay closer to Times Square which has a lot more to it than the Grand Central area and intersects with more subway lines.
* Difficult to detect any real Irish charm - apart from the way the hotel was decorated with memorabilia, it was like any other hotel in New York.

We would definitely stay here again - our stay was very comfortable and the price competitive. Unpretentious and very friendly.

Wonderful Classy, Clean Hotel

We stayed at the Fitzpatrick from August 13-August 16. I had read all the reviews prior to booking the hotel and I have to say, the reviews (with the exception of that one bad one) were right on. We arrived early, as the flight landed at 8:00 a.m. so we were at the hotel by 9:30. They did not have our room ready (as we expected) but they were more than happy to store our luggage. When we did check in at 3:00 p.m. they ended up giving us 2 drink vouchers for the bar because our room had not been ready! The room itself is quite smaller than what I am used to but I understand that's the common size in NYC, however, I couldn't have asked for a cleaner room with lots of little extras, even a fridge which came in handy. The bed was the BEST I have ever encountered in a hotel! A pillow top mattress--can't get much better than that. The hotel employees are all friendly and helpful. The only complaint regarding employees would have to be the bartender we had. She was quite slow and appeared to not exactly have knowledge of her job, and after we received our drinks we never saw her again, so we had to leave the money on the bar. Other than that, it was a lovely stay. On check-out they even kept our luggage after we checked-out, so we could roam the city till our flight left.

Location was okay, just plan to do some walking and bring band-aids!! (A Duane Reade is right across the street so that is convenient.)

Overall I would definitely come back to this hotel. If you want a clean, quaint room with a good sized bathroom and an amazingly comfortable bed, this is the hotel to stay in.

Fitz is OK !

by TripAdvisor Member Wim_Thea

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights! We are very satisfied: nice and clean rooms, good queen-size bed, nice serving employees and services. Besides the hotel is very well located near to the Grand Central station, were you very easily can hop onto the subway or railway. Even a walk to Times Square will take only 25 minutes. Just next to the hotel is a good bar, where you can take a last drink before going to bed !!

Worth Every Penny!!

I went to New York in February this year with my boyfriend for a week and got the Fitzpatrick for a great price - unfortunately the prices have gone up quite a bit (probably because of the high quality)

It was our first time to New York and didn't know what to expect - this hotel was welcoming, clean and very comfortable.

Staff: The bellboy was more than helpful - on our last day we had to check out in the morning and didn't fly out until later that night so it was great that he looked after our luggage, organised our taxi to the airport and we had to do nothing! The reception staff were not overly friendly but we only had to speak to them on checking in and checking out. Bar and restaurant staff were pleasant enough.

Room: The room was quite small but spacious enough for what its for - you are in New York !! Your room is only for sleeping and getting ready! It was very clean (regularly cleaned by maid service) and had a TV with cable etc, bathroom was new and clean with shower and bath - regularly provided with fresh towels and bath robes.

Location - just round corner from Grand Central Station - very handy for most main places - i was worried about new york at night but i felt very safe in the area we were in and there are plenty places to eat nearby. A shop is right across the road for extras like juice or water you can keep in the fridge.

The bar and restaurant were both nice - food was good we had dinner there one night but had breakfast every morning which was basic but filled us up until lunch time. (pastries, bread orange juice tea coffeee etc)

We really loved the Fitzpatrick and would recommend it to anyone who is going to New York to see the sights and shop and looking for a warm cosy friendly place to come home to at night!

Lovely

Great little hotel - clean great bedrooms. Reception isn't that great - which is misleading cause the rooms are nicer that one would expect. Beware the concierge tho - doesn't know much.. So double check his info.

Nice Hotel but not in a New York neighborhood

by TripAdvisor Member phillydoll

We stayed at this hotel for four nights. For New York it was a mid-priced hotel. The location is great if you are a first time tourist, but we prefer hotels in "neighborhoods," rather than in a business section. We weren't as comfortable walking around the hotel as we have been at hotels located in Murray Hill or the Upper East Side. There are pan-handlers outside Grand Central Station (directly across the street), so be careful. That said, the room was small but comfortable. Ask for a quiet room so you won't be bothered by street traffic. The room did not have drawer space, except in the night tables. The closet is lit and there are shelves on the side. The bed was extremely comfortable, with plenty of pillows and extra pillows and blankets in the closet. The bathroom is quite nice. We didn't use the pub - too expensive. There are plenty of places to get breakfast, including a bagel shop next door, a very nice sit down breakfast/lunch restaurant across the street, and, of course, Starbucks and the shops inside the Grand Central Market. The Lexington Avenue Subway is a block away, and you can take the shuttle from Grand Central Station to Times Square, if you want to walk along Broadway and the Theatre District.

So what if you have to pay...

It is really hard to get real good quality for little money, and that may be extra true when it comes to hotels in New York City.

The Fitzpatrick charged me a little over $ 300 a night, but for this I got a spacey, nicely furnished, comfortable and very clean room. The sheets were changed every day, all surfaces polished and the floors vacuumed. The closets had enough room, and I did really not travel light. The fridge is a nice alternative to a mini-bar; you can fill it up from any of the many delis outside with what you might crave of sodas, mineral water or beer. The television is not big, but it works nicely, and has at least thirty station, and added facilities as Movies on Demand and other stuff. You can also get a internet connection with a few presses on a button, but I had no use for that.

There are three phones (desk, bed and bathroom), and a great automated message service, which really came in handy.

More? The bathroom is a dream, all white and squeaky clean, an abundance of towels, well-equipped with supersoft toilet paper and soap and shampoo and what have you. Even a nice bathrobe.

The pub/restaurant downstairs is a little bit expensive, but you will get your moneys worth in generous helpings of great food. The drinks are not too steep, though.

The staff is extremely cheerful and helpful, not to mention skilled. I felt very welcome from the first minute in a polite, but informal atmosphere, and my every wish were taken care of, fast and skillfully. They do not have their hands out for tips all the time either, but I find it natural to reward extra service when I get it.

The location is good. A short walk from Fifth Avenue, short walk from Broadway, a somewhat longer walk from the Village. But cabs are pretty cheap and plentiful, and it only takes 6-7 dollars to get into the depths of Lower East Side, if that is what you want. The neighborhood is also a pretty safe one, perhaps due to all the banks and the UN nearby.

The hotels have many services I didn't need, as conference facilities, possibilities of closed parties (there was a wedding going on one of the evenings) and all kinds of transport services and sightseeing arrangements.

To get a better hotel than this, you have to spring for the luxury hotels. And then you must be prepared to spend much more money. All in all, Fitzpatrick is not too expensive, considering the overall prices in New York and what you actually get for your money.

Stay here if you have time to waste...

by TripAdvisor Member Arodisi

We recently stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand for 2 nights (Dec. 27-29). We live about 40 minutes from NYC and have stayed at various hotels throughout the city. We chose the Fitzpatrick because they were offering a great promotion online and we wanted to be around that area. We booked 1 suite and 1 room. We called the hotel twice to confirm our reservation and to request that the rooms be close together and that the regular room have 2 beds.
We arrived there at about 12 am. We were aware that check-in wasn’t until 3:00, but we wanted to drop-off our bags, park the car, etc. We gave the front desk all our info and were told our rooms would be ready in a few hours (completely understandable, we were early and expected that)! Well, we returned to the hotel at about 2:30 and after about 15 minutes we were given the keys to 2 rooms…not a suite, but 2 regular rooms (one of which had double beds). One of the people working at the front desk remembered speaking to us when we had called and confirmed that we had booked a suite, but somehow their computer suddenly had us reserved for 2 rooms, no suite. Keep in mind that this reservation was pre-paid online and we had a receipt of this. They insisted that no suites were available and that we didn’t book a suite - even though that is what we had paid for! Well, a long story and about 30 minutes later we were given the key to our suite …but now suddenly no double room was available! By now it’s about 3:30 and we head up to our suite until they can get another room ready for us. At about 5, we were given our second room, which had only a single bed and was very cramped, even for NY standards. Because we are family of 6 there is no way we would have fit in these two tiny rooms, so we asked for a third room…and they were able to get us one on the same floor although this room was even smaller than the other one!!!!
The remainder of our stay went smoothly...almost! I should note that the rooms are well appointed and tasteful, even if they are very small. I almost forgot about our ordeal at check-in until it was time to check-out!! At around 12 we called from our rooms and asked that our 2 cars be brought from the garage. We checked out and waited….and waited and at 1:15 one of our cars finally emerged. We didn’t get our second car until about 1:45!!!! As I said before, we live 40 min from NYC…we could have gone home and back in the amount of time it took us to get our cars!!!!! And the garage they use is just a block away!!! They did remove the parking charge for one of our cars from the bill, but even so…my time is too precious to be wasted like this!!!
This hotel is better priced than most others in the area, but beware, because the bottom line is, you get what you pay for!

New York New York

by TripAdvisor Member Dolphin100

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights just after Christmas and it was our first visit to New York. The room was extremely comfortable and the staff were very friendly and helpful which does make a big difference. Breakfast wasnt included in our price but for $15 the breakfast you can get in the morning was well worth it as I found I couldnt eat for the rest of the day! Food in the restaurant I wouldnt particularly rate especially as just round the corner there is a fantastic Irish pub where the food was fantastic with a price that was almost laughable! And of course if you ventured further affield then the choice is huge!! I found the location perfect especially as my days were spent generally between both uptown and downtown in a bid to see everything. So after a morning downtown (where I generally would have more bags) I could grab a cab dump my stuff before hitting 5th Avenue! The hotel is right by Grand Central station and really you could walk in any direction and come accross something that you would have wanted to see anyways. We walked quite a bit the first couple of days then realised that the most a cab would cost us from 5th Avenue, say, down to Battery Park was about $15 we decided "hey, were on holiday!". There is a pub in the hotel but I didnt find much of a buzz about the place although if its a quick drink after a day's sightseeing or a nightcap before bed then perfect. So a good location, very helpful staff, a warm and comfy room, a breakfast that will give you the energy to shop and sightsee... The concierge will help you with absolultely everything so my top tip would be dont book anything in advance wait and get their help and suggestions from trips and tours to restaurants. I would definately stay there again.

Central Park from the top of the RockefellerCentral Park from the top of the Rockefeller

delideli

packedpacked

Laura and I enjoying our drinksLaura and I enjoying our drinks

Which Hotel ?

by dancingaims

Hi, we are travelling to NYC 25th - 31st Jan 2011 for my 50th birthday. Have held two hotels; Fitzpatrick Grand Central (king jnr suite); Avalon Vincci (jnr suite).
cant decide between the two, although deal for Avalon is quite a bit cheaper. Anyone got any knowledge of these two, and which one is the better etc. We like oldie worldie type places and both locations look good.Many Thanks.

by clareabee

i always look on the tripadvisor site for good honest reviews from real life travellers.

by bedoucha

Fitzpatrick Grand Central is a better choice. Centrally located and easy to get to.

by 87claire

I used to be airline crew and we stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central, it is definately an oldie worldie type with Irish theme, the rooms are so comfy a little bit on the small side but there are many that are smaller in the city. The beds and bathrooms are lovely and its pretty quiet. Great location too, not too much noise from the outside like you might get in times square. Hope u have a great time whatever you decide!

travelling to new york from toronto

by gloinny

i am going to new york at the end of august and i`m just sorting out my flights and arrangements, what would anyone recommend as the cheapest method of travelling to new york, what is the cheapest air company. also where would you recommend irish people to stay, which hostel, we want a bit of craic and busy bars and stuff. any help would be good.

Re: travelling to new york from toronto

by 10028

Try www.cheaptickets.com, www.expedia.com and www.travelocity.com.

Here's a link for one New York hostel:

Also go to www.tripadvisor.com and use their search function for "Big Apple Hostel," which is in the theater district / Times Square area. Also search for the Fitzpatrick Hotel, located on Lexington and 57th Street.

Irish pubs are all over the city. Lots along 2nd Ave. in the 40s and 80s, and some along 8th Ave. in the 40s-50s.

Re: Re: travelling to new york from toronto

by liqdstar

jetsgo has pretty cheap tix.

www.jetsgo.com