Gramercy Park Hotel

See Amenities

One of NY's finest

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2007

After my friend had recommended this hotel I decided to get a room here when I was visiting friends in NYC. The atmosphere in this place is pretty amazing. I think my favorite part was the rooftop lounge. So cool! Definitely a place to see and be seen. I only wish my trip could have been longer!

Unique Quality: Great atmosphere. Helpful staff.

Best Schrager Hotel Yet

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 17, 2007

I'm a frequent guest at all of Ian Schrager's hotels and this one is by far the best.

It's located in Union Square so it's close to all sorts of great stuff (excellent farmer's market on wed and sat) to do and bars, restaurants, etc.. The rooms are very luxurious and big (not like at Hudson), and the hotel is suprisingly intimate. It of course has a super-hot bar in the Rose Bar but I preferred the guests-only Roof Club which is a great place to hang out. The hotel has a restaurant called Wakiya (Chinese) but I did not eat there, only drinks (but it was packed).

Service was fine and the rates were somewhat steep, but on par for a NY luxury hotel (some chain hotels were only $20 less so go figure). A very 'happening' place at night but rather pleasant during the day. I was there on business and was able to have a meeting in the business facilities area with no problem. Probably not a good choice for a family trip, but defintitely a place I would stay again. Also has lots of original pieces of modern art.

Unique Quality: Across from a private park (hotel has key)
Very hip bar

Bunsch's Profile Photo

Clever reuse/restoration

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 12, 2007

I'd definitely recommend the Gramercy Park. The service was outstanding. We had (at various times) four women sharing a suite. You cannot believe how many towels we used. The staff was only too pleased to provide them, as well as additional soaps, etc. We didn't make use of the various facilities, other than the umbrellas (it poured, and we were unprepared) and the key to the park. It is VERY expensive but a delightful treat.

Unique Quality: The Gramercy Park Hotel has recently been totally revamped courtesy of Ian Schrager. The great location remains but I can't imagine people wouldn't be pleased with what has transpired. Personally, I liked the scent of the elevators almost as much as the rest -- kind of like a fire on a cold autumn night -- but the shower (and terrific complimentary toiletries) was insanely pleasant and huge, and the bedding was deluxe. Rooms aren't big; this is New York, after all. But we felt spacious anyway. The place seems to combine modern and classic, almost medieval touches, but virtually everything seems to have been reused except the glorious tapestry-like draperies and bed coverings.

Docu2001's Profile Photo

Still crazy ...

by written on May 14, 2004

New York City was crazy alive ... with Saturday Night Live and John Lennon and Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen – it was a remarkable time. The Gramercy Park Hotel played its role by playing host to the British music crowd. The lobby was the scene of skeletal chain smokers with stringy hair and bad teeth carrying guitars and sound equipment.
The second or third time I stayed in the Gramercy Park Hotel I met an old friend from home. We were both in town on business. We drank so much red wine that night talking and catching up and having a grand time, that upon returning to my room, I fell into a sleep so sound (passed out) that the Hotel Manager had to use his pass key to enter my room and rouse me. Apparently I had not been answering the phone for quite some time … It was that kind of place – a flop-house of your very own far from home. Now it is a little better kept and with not quite as many thin English rockers in the lobby.

Unique Quality: The Bar at the Gramercy was probably its best feature. It was a classic New York Hotel Bar – circa 1962. There was not a waiter in the place taller than five feet. They were all short round men in faded red jackets with slick black hair. The room had the faint smell of mold mingled with aroma of Goldfish crackers from the bar. For as long as I recalled there was always a “Reserved” card on the small booth nearest the bar. Now and then I would see the twin sisters for whom the table was held each afternoon. The last time I saw them they were probably in their late 70’s, rail-thin, silver haired and tastefully dressed in matching two piece light-blue serge suits.
When I moved to NYC the Gramercy Bar became one of my favorite spots to meet people for a quick, or lingering, afternoon drink. Two years ago they renovated the Bar. An outside company was engaged to run the Bar which now has beautiful Asian hostesses in slim fitting red and black outfits. I don’t go there any more. I wonder where the sisters are drinking these days?

2005 Update
I heard that Ian Shraeger bought the Hotel - and has plans for swank new restaurant ... One more great old spot is transformed - into anothoer boring, cloned, hip joint ...

Directions: Gramercy Park - the only private, gated park in the City. Residents of the buildings surrounding the Park are entitled to a key.

Nearby Gramercy Park Hotel

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews