4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, New York, 10010, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• One of NY's finest

After my friend had recommended this hotel I decided to get a room here when I was visiting friends in NYC. The atmosphere in this place is pretty amazing. I think my favorite part was the rooftop lounge. So cool! Definitely a place to see and be seen. I only wish my trip could have been longer!

Unique Quality: Great atmosphere. Helpful staff.

• Best Schrager Hotel Yet

I'm a frequent guest at all of Ian Schrager's hotels and this one is by far the best.

It's located in Union Square so it's close to all sorts of great stuff (excellent farmer's market on wed and sat) to do and bars, restaurants, etc.. The rooms are very luxurious and big (not like at Hudson), and the hotel is suprisingly intimate. It of course has a super-hot bar in the Rose Bar but I preferred the guests-only Roof Club which is a great place to hang out. The hotel has a restaurant called Wakiya (Chinese) but I did not eat there, only drinks (but it was packed).

Service was fine and the rates were somewhat steep, but on par for a NY luxury hotel (some chain hotels were only $20 less so go figure). A very 'happening' place at night but rather pleasant during the day. I was there on business and was able to have a meeting in the business facilities area with no problem. Probably not a good choice for a family trip, but defintitely a place I would stay again. Also has lots of original pieces of modern art.

Unique Quality: Across from a private park (hotel has key)
    Very hip bar
    Great location

Directions: On Gramercy Park in near Union Square

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Clever reuse/restoration

I'd definitely recommend the Gramercy Park. The service was outstanding. We had (at various times) four women sharing a suite. You cannot believe how many towels we used. The staff was only too pleased to provide them, as well as additional soaps, etc. We didn't make use of the various facilities, other than the umbrellas (it poured, and we were unprepared) and the key to the park. It is VERY expensive but a delightful treat.

Unique Quality: The Gramercy Park Hotel has recently been totally revamped courtesy of Ian Schrager. The great location remains but I can't imagine people wouldn't be pleased with what has transpired. Personally, I liked the scent of the elevators almost as much as the rest -- kind of like a fire on a cold autumn night -- but the shower (and terrific complimentary toiletries) was insanely pleasant and huge, and the bedding was deluxe. Rooms aren't big; this is New York, after all. But we felt spacious anyway. The place seems to combine modern and classic, almost medieval touches, but virtually everything seems to have been reused except the glorious tapestry-like draperies and bed coverings.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

Still crazy ...

New York City was crazy alive ... with Saturday Night Live and John Lennon and Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen – it was a remarkable time. The Gramercy Park Hotel played its role by playing host to the British music crowd. The lobby was the scene of skeletal chain smokers with stringy hair and bad teeth carrying guitars and sound equipment.
    The second or third time I stayed in the Gramercy Park Hotel I met an old friend from home. We were both in town on business. We drank so much red wine that night talking and catching up and having a grand time, that upon returning to my room, I fell into a sleep so sound (passed out) that the Hotel Manager had to use his pass key to enter my room and rouse me. Apparently I had not been answering the phone for quite some time … It was that kind of place – a flop-house of your very own far from home. Now it is a little better kept and with not quite as many thin English rockers in the lobby.

Unique Quality: The Bar at the Gramercy was probably its best feature. It was a classic New York Hotel Bar – circa 1962. There was not a waiter in the place taller than five feet. They were all short round men in faded red jackets with slick black hair. The room had the faint smell of mold mingled with aroma of Goldfish crackers from the bar. For as long as I recalled there was always a “Reserved” card on the small booth nearest the bar. Now and then I would see the twin sisters for whom the table was held each afternoon. The last time I saw them they were probably in their late 70’s, rail-thin, silver haired and tastefully dressed in matching two piece light-blue serge suits.
    When I moved to NYC the Gramercy Bar became one of my favorite spots to meet people for a quick, or lingering, afternoon drink. Two years ago they renovated the Bar. An outside company was engaged to run the Bar which now has beautiful Asian hostesses in slim fitting red and black outfits. I don’t go there any more. I wonder where the sisters are drinking these days?

2005 Update
    I heard that Ian Shraeger bought the Hotel - and has plans for swank new restaurant ... One more great old spot is transformed - into anothoer boring, cloned, hip joint ...

Directions: Gramercy Park - the only private, gated park in the City. Residents of the buildings surrounding the Park are entitled to a key.

More about Gramercy Park Hotel

NYC gem

by TripAdvisor Member mhammel

We had an excellent weekend at The Gramercy Park Hotel. The room was comfortable and well appointed, staff were very professional and friendly. The in room dining was very good especially chocolate truffles upon arrival . Housekeeping was very nice and all of the maids were really professional and super-fast while making up the rooms. The door people are great and made us feel welcome at the hotel. I will absolutely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone heading to New York for either business or pleasure.

What a joke!!!

by TripAdvisor Member GoldStandard1

Of all the hotels in NYC, the Gramercy Park Hotel is the WORST! The place is dark and not welcoming. The rooms feel old and are not comfortable. We could not even get into the bar. This hotel does not care one bit about paying guest. For $500 a night you get NOTHING!!!! We could not wait to leave and change hotels. Save yourself the aggravation and stay somewhere ells.

A note to the hotel manager.
Please don’t respond to my review. It is bad enough that you feel compelled to defend you poorly run hotel on every bad review. Face it, there are much better places to stay in NYC.

Experience lovely overall but marred by false advertising

by TripAdvisor Member christinamerge

My boyfriend and I chose the Gramercy Park Hotel out of several luxury hotels in NYC to celebrate our anniversary. The staff was nice and accomodating, and I loved the decor of the lobby and the bars and the room! The bed was very comfortable, and the products in the bathroom were very nice.

My biggest disappointment was that the rooftop bar which was advertised both on the website and in the list of amenities found in the room, was not open. I was so looking forward to hanging out in an exclusive club with a great view, we weren't told it wasn't open until we ran into a staff member in the elevator. Also, we were told we couldn't even go to the Rose Bar after 9 even though I had attempted to make reservations over a month in advance and was told to check with the concierge when I arrived.

I emailed the info email to let them know of my disappointment about the rooftop bar, and received no reply. This surprised me as I expected such an expensive hotel to have better customer service follow-up, especially since I was just trying to be a good consumer and share my experience.

So, all in all, it was a nice hotel, but not the oasis of exclusivity and luxury I had expected for the price. We would probably try somewhere else next time, but I would definitely like to see the rooftop bar when it finally opens and would revisit the Rose Bar.

Gramercy hotel: Schragers losing it...

by TripAdvisor Member LouLondon

The trouble with this place is that it relies to heavily on image and the name Schrager. Staff are very young and although sharp simply do not have the type of experience required to make guests at their hotel feel in any way special over ordinary members of the public visiting the hotel. This is reflected by their attitude towards reservations for the Rose Bar by hotel guests and also in general when (in our case) there are problems with the booking itself. We made a reservation 4 months in advance. We specified a smoking room with a bathtub. A week before we received an email enquiring what sort of time we'd be arriving and our flight details. Impressive. However when we arrived three hours later than the informed time (after delays from london to nyc) we were given a non-smoking room with a shower instead. After speaking to the front desk at some length and waiting 45minutes we were told taht a room to our specification would take a while to prepare. By now it was 2am london time and we were ready to drop. However we had to have drinks in the bar while waiting. No-one came to keep us informed and another hour later we enquired and were shown our room. The room was very nice but we ended up in one of the nicest rooms of that level (room 603) . The night manager offered us room service on the house but when we ordered our 2 courses each we immediately got a call from him to say taht the limit was 50 bucks. I cant remember the weasels name but mate- if you are going to offer something dont be cheap about it otherwise just dont bother. Whats 50 bucks mean in a 500 a night room?! The guy was 27 years old or something with clearly a long way to go before he learns the ropes of sophisticated customer liason! Anyhow we liked the hotel itself and the behind the scenes staff like room service/ house keeping were very industrious and helpful. Front desk were a little on the hopeless side. I agree with the lady who wrote about false advertising. We too expected the roof bar to be open and yet it was still being built. NOBODY mentioned that it would be closed- I suggest that anyone who goes to this hotel lodges a formal complaint and applies for compensation as its bordering on unlawful to obtain money for a misrepresented product or service in any country let alone the U.S of A. Schrager must really be losing it if he's resorting to this sort of marketing- its really below the belt and not simply slipshod. By law you are entitled to damages for loss of enjoyment or disappointment especially for example if you say you were there specifically to photograph on or from the roof terrace or that this was the main reason for your staying at the gramercy. I am appalled that this sort of advertising is not regulated in a country where people sue someone for sneezing in their direction. Having said that the roof terrace will be completed soon. Anyhow the thing is the hotel is cute to look at and the Jade bar (which I personally preferred to the Rose Bar for its more vibrant atmosphere) is pretty cool. But people want and should be able to expect more bang for their buck from a hotel that presents sucha high end image. And I think the Gramercy just falls short of that. Sorry guys.

A very unique hotel with lots of extras

by TripAdvisor Member Erin74

I stayed 2 nights/ 3 days at the Gramercy Park Hotel in late January. This is a really unique and interesting hotel. The decor is certainly different than anyplace else I've ever stayed. The lobby is just as it looks online and really dramatic and lovely. In the hallways, the walls are blood red and the lighting is so dim you can barely see a thing. My room was painted a dark sage green with red velvet curtains, red velvet chairs, big queen beds with purple velvet throws and artsy photography on the walls. It was like some sort of crazy, high fashion bordello! I really enjoyed the decor, but my big (and perhaps only) complaint would be the darkness. Even if you turn on all the lights in the room, it's still dark. It didn't bother me for the amount of time I was here, but it might have for a longer stay, or if I was trying to do business while there. The bathroom was large. There's no tub but a good, oversized shower. Everything was spotless.

The room also had two large closets, a mini bar and flat screen TV. The mini bar is a thing of beauty. There are several shelves of goodies in addition to the bar. Mario Badescu beauty products, special candles, designer t-shirts, full bottles of wine, champagne, etc. Crystal glasses to drink from. There's even an iPod docking station (and you can borrow an iPod from the front desk if you didn't bring your own). The hotel will lend you DVDs to watch in your room. The list of available titles is several pages long-- very nice selection. I really enjoyed all these little touches.

Guests at the hotel are allowed to borrow keys to Gramercy Park, which is a private park. I did go over and walk around in the park, since it's not every day you get to do that.

I did not spend time at the bar or restaurant, but the people I was traveling with did and on both nights they saw some pretty big celebrities. I never noticed any kind of crowds or extra security in the lobby, though (on Sunday and Monday nights). I didn't eat in the restaurant but I did order room service. It was jaw-droppingly expensive ($41 for a cheesburger and bottled water, with tax) but delivered very quickly and the food was delicious.

The staff at the hotel really went above and beyond. Once you get out of a cab in front of the hotel, there are multiple staff members to greet you, take your bags, and walk you to the front desk. The staff (who are all really, ridiculously good looking for some reason) were wonderful, helpful, polite and gracious. I was thoroughly impressed by the service.

I really enjoyed this hotel. It was definitely a splurge, but I'd consider staying here again. I wish the rooms offered additional light, but in all other respects I was very satisfied.

Comments