Grand Hyatt New York

Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, New York, 10017, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

Great Location / Not So Great Hotel

I stayed here for business because of the central location to a number of planned meetings. While the location was perfect, the hotel itself, not so much. When I first entered my room, I noticed it was dirty - floor not vacuumed, dust and dirt on countertops, wet bathroom sink and floors, etc. It appeared that housekeeping had forgotten to finish cleaning before I checked in. Additionally, during my stay, housekeeping never came to the room, although I called and requested service. On one day, housekeeping finally arrived around 5pm as I was getting ready for the evening. I asked for clean towels and for the room to be cleaned once I left so that I could come back to a clean room. And even that didn't happen.

Another complaint is how paper thin the walls are. I could hear the elevator every time someone got on or off on the floor - Floor 21 going up, Floor 21 going down, kept repeating all day and all night. And because of the thin walls, you could very clearly hear phone conversations happening in the room next door as well as conversations in the hall.

On the plus side, the rooms are quite large for a New York hotel room.

I really like the location, but would choose to stay elsewhere if I were planning a trip back.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Good Location, Not as pricey as expected

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 10 days on a business trip, but cost was a factor - I did have to keep budget. The hotel underwent a full remodel, which I believe was completed in December 2011, so everything was up-to-date. But I have to tell you that my impression was that form took much more precedence than function.

The front desk is not labeled as such. It is some tables with laptops, so unless there are other people lined up to check in, it's unclear what you are supposed to do. There are kiosks where you can check in yourself electronically, but I wanted to talk to someone about my room for the 10 day stay.

Checkout process is also troublesome. You have to actually physically check out AT THE FRONT DESK. This is not something business travelers enjoy.

My favorite feature was the shower with a square raindrop shower head.

The bed was OK, but not that comfortable.

The doors are LOUD, so even though I was in a quiet wing (didn't hear all the talking near the elevators), every time someone left their room I woke up at the sound of the door slamming shut.

The gym has some good equipment - better than most hotel gyms, but even here, form was chosen over function. The touch screens on the cardio equipment didn't work well. And it was HOT in there. No ventilation. But it is located on a high floor (if not the top) so you can see out as you run on the treadmill.

The Marketplace is a little shop with packaged snacks and prepared meals for sale. I loved the chicken salad, and some of the other prepared items were OK. My favorite thing, though, was the 1/2 bottles of wine. Overpriced, but readily available. However not as overpriced as the wine sold by the glass in the bar.

The cheeseburger in the bar, though, made the overpriced wine worth it. It was gourmet & fantastic!

Unique Quality: One of the best things about the Grand Hyatt is that you can get to it from inside Grand Central Station. You don't have to go outside. Since I was there in January, this was especially helpful - I had other options besides the overpriced Hyatt restaurant to eat without going out into the cold.

• City hotel

This was my second visit to NY and I decided to stay in the city. They service provided is great. The rooms are spacious and ver comfortable. The only thing that I found I didn't like is that there was always a long wait for the elevators since the first floor was also the ballroom hall there was a very constant flow of people making it very crowded at time. But the rooms very great and the staff was very friendly and helpful when you need to know anything. Furthermore, they have the check in and out yourself systems which is very handy when the lobby is crowded.

Unique Quality: Location of this hotel is grea. I few blocks down you get rime square. It's also got the subwa close by and gives you access to new York city always. It's a great place to stay if you want to experience staying in the heart of new York city.

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

In the heart of the city

I was excited about my first trip to the Big Apple, and there probably wasn't a better situated hotel than the Grand Hyatt. Located right next to Grand Central Station, in a town that is meant for walking, there are so many things to walk to from here. While there, they were renovating the lobby, so it was not the greatest entrance in the world, but I did like the fact that you can check in via kiosks, get your key, and head to your room. The hallways and rooms are in great shape, although the rooms are a little on the small side. The bathrooms are small, but they provide all the basic toiletries. There is also a safe, which always is nice to have. While the view I had wasn't the greatest, I did appreciate that I could leave my room and be in the middle of the action within a few minutes. There's a ton of shopping in Grand Central, and there's standards like CVS just around the corner. The bus to Newark Airport parks just a block away, so transport to the airports are also easily accessed. A great place to stay!

• FloridaHurricane's Profile Photo

Manhattan NYC

Room was a single king size bed....bed was comfy... bathroom very tiny, just a standing shower, tiny sink..kept the curtain in the room closed as the view was just another building...lobby is very pretty... I love the water fall when you walk in the front doors of the lobby....

Unique Quality: Location was great.. easy to get to from LGA.. took the bus (direct route) from the airport to Grand Central terminal...hotel was right around the corner...Grand Central terminal was great for shopping, eating, catching the subway...The bus runs every 30 minutes or so,, $10-$12 for bus ride each way (http://www.nyairportservice.com)

Directions: Downtown Manhattan

• Great location with substandard service

The location of this hotel is superb, just next to Grand Central train station and a 15 minutes walk from Times Square. The room I stayed was large and comfortable, with all mods and cons. Good and inexpensive wifi access through Tmobile. However as this is a huge hotel, the service was pretty bad. Laundry service was bad, they forgot to pick up my laundry twice, the front desk was unpolite and unhelpful. Never ask for the manager (Adam) as he was the most unsympathethic and unhelpful. It gets worse! The second day, they woke me up by error at 6 am. When I checked out, they forgot to charge my laundry, when I pointed it out, it took them half an hour to charge it to my account, and I ended up being late for my meeting. I felt stupid at the end of the day, as I ended up being the one who suffers their incompetence (and afterall I was trying to pay my bill that for which I was not asked to pay, but yohey sometimes it does not pay out to be honest, and the Mr Millers was not thankful) You have to pay for left luggage, and if you want to charge it to your room, you have to face a very complicated process (I did not have any US dolar cash). And people are not very helpful. By the way I hated these self check in counters which unsurprisingly did not work. Furthermore, the taxi assistance is a bit dodgy. The bell boy urged me to take a private cab, advising me not to get a normal NY cabbie. Concierge did not know anything about this arrangement, and could not comment me whether if it was allowed and safe or not, but I ended up taking the private cab which worked out fine. Nevertheless I found this a bit dodgy.

• Kevross85's Profile Photo

Grand Hyatt beside grand central

I stayed here when visiting the states with three other friends in june this year. The hotel was really really nice with a big grand foyer. The rooms though were not as good as you would have expected from the foyer. Although the rooms were not as good as we expected they were still really good just a little on the small side.

The hotel itself has very helpful staff and will help you in anyway possible. We managed to get tickets for a broadway show on the day of the show just by going to theservice desk within the foyer and with one phone call we had the desired tickets which was a great bonus

• child friendly

this was a perfect place to take my granddaughter .the elevators were speedy and the location next to Grand Central Station meant lots of shopping and quick places to eat that would please both of us and not break the bank.The Station itself should definately be on every tourists list of things to see and there is a free tour I believe on Wed.
    Also,there is an excellent coffee shop across the street since the breakfast at the hotel's coffee shop is quite expensive for those of us not on an expense account.

Unique Quality: helpful staff,lots of taxis,adequate room.

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel Great Location

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The rooms, while not spacious, are quite comfortable with a small walk-in closet and slightly larger bathroom. The water was hot, the shower delightful, the maid service pleasant, the rooms quiet and the elevators fast. I loved the little monitors in the elevators that had stock tickers, the weather and a TV station on. I think it was CNBC. We were on the 23rd floor and I thought it was interesting that the windows opened! Had a nice view from above of the bronze statue that adorns the roof of Grand Central Station. The lobby is large and a great place to sit and people watch. A great feature is that you can go right from the entryway to Grand Central Terminal and the subway without going outside. The only complaint I had is that when we arrived on Sunday afternoon, we had to stand in line for over 1/2 hour to check our luggage as our room was not ready. There were a lot of crabby people in that line and in the elevators on Sunday as well. I don't understand how you can be unhappy when you are on vacation in New York!

Unique Quality: Each morning we were able to get good coffee and pastries from the Grand Central Market around the corner and we were so close to the subway that we had easy access to most of the city. While we did not actually get to spend much time in our room, it was a great place to go back to in the early evening, and relax for a while with a glass of wine.

Directions: 42nd St between Park and Lexington Ave

• Cogee's Profile Photo

The GRAND Hyatt

I impressed my parents with putting us all up in this huge hotel. It was their first visit to the US and I think they soon realised that everything is big there. Big and airy lobby, nice rooms, I thought the bathrooms were kinda small, nice breakfast buffet and nice staff.

Unique Quality: Right by Central station and airport shuttles stop just around the corner so it's really easy to access!

• Fantastic Hotel

The hotel was FANTASTIC. The hotel lobby was always busy but what do you expect from a Manhattan hotel. The rooms however were amazing. I have never felt so at home in a hotel. the rooms smelt, looked, and felt clean. The location can not be beaten ( I looked). Grand Central Station is adjoined which allows for quick access to trains, subways and reasonably priced food. We were there during the transit strike so we had to walk everywhere. Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, 5th Ave., and Central Park are within walking distance. The longest walk was Central Park and that was only about 20-25 minutes. You can not beat this hotel. The service was great, accomodations were clean, a everything was so convienent. Booh early. We booked a couple months in advance with AAA and we got a room for $143 an night during the busy season.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Midtown Luxury

My apartment wasn't available my last nite. I cashed in Hyatt points for a free stay here.
    I lucked out and they gave me concierge 2426: top floor - corner room w/ a humorously close view of the Chrysler Bldg.
    (clap-clap ... " wipers!! ")

This place is amazing. Huge decorated lobby w/ amenities up the wazoo. Good food, lounges, etc. I stay @ Hyatts a lot but this is now one of my faves.
    No raving, just check out the website: this place has more than anyone needs unless you're King of Zamunda.

On my last night I sat at the grand piano in the lobby and played my favorite Eric Satie & Gershwin pieces. Despite my less-than-mediocre piano prowess, it rang thru the lobby like a concert hall & I will always remember my last night in NYC.

Here's the bad news: I would never have stayed if it wasn't free.
    Average rooms rack out at ~ $400/night, and the top floor concierge room I was in (2426) with all its amenities is probably $500 std rack rate.

But don't give up. Use the usual tricks of AAA, AARP, corporate rates, bid it on Priceline, etc. If you can get in for around $200 / night, you're getting a good deal.

Unique Quality: Total luxury, a few well-appointed bars and restaurants in the hotel, the rooms are tricked out to the max. An unexpected bonus: it is actually in the building complex holding Grand Central Station with all the beautiful marble passages and the big gorgeous terminal hall.

The whole block is now cleaned up and surrounded by cafes, bars & restaurants with outdoor terraces.

Yet you can walk merely one block North into midtown and still get the buzz of Manhattan streetlife:

from the heart-pumping cacophony of car horns & big-city energy-rush to the cliche of street characters: ranging from stylish NY dames to the bizarre sleazy types that emerge from the dark alleys between buildings whispering "rolex, rolex, rolex"
    complete with the straight-from-central casting dark trenchcoats and an armfull of cheap knockoff watches.

Directions: Cab it from JFK ($50) or LaGuardia ($35) or if in the city it is on the Subway #6 Lexington line, with Grand Central station being a huge intersection of subway lines and your dropping off point, as Grand Hyatt is right in the building

• jburron's Profile Photo

Great Location for Asset Management

I just stayed here on a business trip; we had meetings all over this area (which surprised me because I thought all of the investment companies/firms would be near ground zero). The Grand Hyatt was well-positioned. Sure there are others, but Hyatt is right between Grand Central Station and the Chrysler building.

The rooms were recently renovated, as I understand, and were quite well-appointed. A little small (but we were in Manhattan) and the tub was about a foot high (not a soaker by any means) but the closet was ample (room for many suits and complete with nice wooden hangers) and dresser was good too.

No bible nor pen and paper sets...overall quite good.

We paid USD 311 by booking online a couple of weeks earlier; rack rates are 529 a night.

Directions: Lexington and 42nd...right next to Grand Central.

• Son13ne's Profile Photo

Right at the station, but not my favourite

On a business trip I stayed at the Grand Hyatt, it is nice, clean, well equiped and you can meet people from all over the world here.. and being so close to grand central station you are well connected. Anyhow - for my next stay in NYC I will go for a downtown hotel for sure!!

Unique Quality: It is huuugee

• RyandT's Profile Photo

Great location - great hotel

The hotel was very nice. A bit pricey but worth it!

Unique Quality: The most unique thing about the Hyatt is that it is connected to Grand Central Station which makes it very convenient to get anywhere you want without going out into the cold!

Directions: Nice location just a short walk to most major attractions

More about Grand Hyatt New York

Need Help choosing a hotel

by SarahSue8983

I'm trying to choose from the following hotels for my trip to NYC the week before Christmas. I want to stay in Manhattan, central to all the sites, looking to spend ~$150-$200/night for 4-5 nights. Any help or advice on these or other recommended accomodations would be appreciated.(I'm a young person, this is my first time to NYC, I plan to go out and see the sites/party-I need someplace to stay that will accomodate this)Thanks!

The Time Hotel
Hotel QT
Helmsley Middletowne

by times_square

The Time Hotel is in the middle of theatre district aka Broadway.
The Qt is on the edge of the theatre district. Someone I know stayed there and said the bathrooms were a bit unusual.
Both should be fine for a youn person alone.
If you want to be in the "hustle and bustle" of Times Square these two are
the ones.

Don't know about the other two hotels.

by kedada

There's a Holiday Inn in Midtown, Manhatten. It's very decent. If you need to email me I am at kedada@msn.com.

by seematt

Young? First time in NY? Want to Party? you should be staying at a hostel! You can get private rooms in most of them and you'll meet some cool people. Try the Big Apple hostel near times square, or check out www.hostelz.com for the ratings...Always stay at hostels, you'll meet some great folks and have some great times...

RE: RE: Need Help choosing a hotel

by SarahSue8983

Absolutely not! No hostels when I'm in my own country-I expect MUCH more out of hotels in this country! I want a nice hotel to celebrate a reunion with my old roommates from this past summer in Rome. (some are from NYC, the rest of us are meeting there) For $150-$200/night I can find a nice place to stay, I just need help choosing which one...

by curlyq

Hi. I always stay at the Super 8 Times Square. This is a really nice hotel located at 59 West 46th Sts, just a block or so away from the hustle and bustle of Times Sq. You are very central and the hotel offers continental breakfast, spacious rooms, and good prices. Try super8.com or 1-800-800-8000.

RE: RE: Need Help choosing a hotel

by devil66

SarahSue,
I have heard good things about The Time Hotel and Hotel QT. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York and it was very nice. I imagine that the Helmsley is nice as well - it is a big name. The constraint I see is the prices are probably higher than $150-200. If you can get a good deal, book early. The time you are here is a very expensive hotel time.

Be careful of the Super 8. Supposedly, they have a bedbug problem from the reviews at tripadvisor.

by times_square

are you sure you are able to find hotels for $150-200/night
seems rather low
but if you can, book it ASAP

Comments