HOLIDAY INN NYC MANHATTAN

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about HOLIDAY INN NYC MANHATTAN

Pleasant hotel stay

by TripAdvisor Member Bids

I stayed here for two nights and was very satisfied, on the whole. The view wasn't great, but the room was clean, air conditioned and nicely furnished, with a huge, fantastically comfortable bed that was so high, it was all i could do to climb into it! I would have loved the flat screen TV, but mine was faulty and only picked up a few of the many channels that should have been available. I phoned the main desk and assistance was given, but the problem was not resolved - (disappointed not to have been offered a refund of some of my money). Also a problem with a blocked toilet - quickly resolved. Liked the coffee maker and complimentary daily newspaper, also availability of ironing board and nearby ice machine. The hotel staff were very welcoming and pleasant and I had a two great, undisturbed nights' sleep. Didn't try the food at the hotel, but the bar area looked nice. A number of decent places to eat very close by.

Excellent Stay ;o)

by TripAdvisor Member willy8166

Excellent hotel! We stayed 2 nights and from the moment we checked in, could not find anything negative. The location is a great central location, with the subway only a couple of blocks away. The staff was outstanding, very friendly and accommodating. Every staff member we talked to was helpful and very pleasant, not your typical NY attitude. The management has done a great job in ensuring the best customer service atmosphere. I would definitely stay there again.

Nice but small

by TripAdvisor Member GaerielSky

I stayed here during the NY Gift Show this season. MUCH better than the Mildew Plaza. The hotel is modern, nicely appointed, and the staff is doing a good job. I took a cab from GCS and the cabbie didn't know where the hotel is. It's half way between 6th & 7th on 26th St. There's an ATM right out the door and to the left (credit union). Plenty of convenience/drug stores around the block (CVS, Duane Reade) should you need them. Normallly on business trips I like to stock up on bottled water, fruit and yogurt at these places and keep the items in the minibar fridge. Well, there is no minibar at this hotel so there went that plan.

Reception: Is a tiny desk on the right as you enter. Maybe 2 people can fit behind there. This is a tall skinny hotel. 10 rooms on each floor. Elevators like molasses. Expect to wait 5 min for your ride up or down.

Room: I had room 1705 and it was small but nice. Clean, modern. The bed actually had a plastic mattress pad on it for some reason. Hell, I was happy that the hotel is new and there were less chance of bedbugs! (There were none) Matress was comfy. Pillows comfy but small. Wireless internet worked fine and is free. You could even order room service from it. TV was nice and large LCD on the dresser. Small closet with ironing board & iron. Cable box was almost like being home. My one problem was the phone. It didn't work. I went down to reception to report it upon checking in. I was told someone would come fix it while I was out. No one did. I figured the next day it would be fixed while I was at work. Nope! 3 days later I went back down and complained. They sent someone to look at it. After 5 min of checking both extensions repeatedly, he realized it was plugged into the wrong jack somehow. So it finally worked.

Bathroom: Tiny! They provided plenty of fluffy towels, a shampoo/conditioner all-in-one, a lotion, and a bar of facial soap. 3 days into my stay a bar of bath soap showed up, but I don't use it as I bring my own bodywash. But found it odd that they waited 3 days to give me bath soap. LOL Was having a mini spat with the maid who kept putting the waste basket on the left of the sink against the wall. As a rightie, I kept wanting to throw stuff out on the right (between sink & toilet) and kept moving it there, she kept moving it back the next day. Oh well. Nice water pressure and temperature in shower/tub. Kinda awkward opening the door with the bath mat down because it is so small in the bathroom.

Restaurant & Louge: Both nice. Had breakfast in the restaurant the first morning. Waited quite a while to be served once we ordered and it wasn't early (8:30 am).Food was tasty, though. Prices a little high. Louge was loungy and dark but nice if small.

Never got a chance to see the gym. Taxis were waiting outside each morning so that was very convenient and even if they weren't the 1 subway line stops 2 blocks away on 28th and 7th.

Convenient, clean, and nice. Recommend.

Serviceable Hotel with the Basics

by TripAdvisor Member robert270

Currently staying at this Hotel over Labor day weekend. The hotel front desk staff is very accomodating. The Lobby is very small, the elevators are small, the hallways are small. I can see when they built this hotel from the ground up space saving was a big priority. The hotel was built from the ground up, and finished three months ago. ( June 2008)
The rooms are very small, and of course the bathrooms are tiny. The shower has almost no pressure, do to watering saving device. The " SInk" is a Joke. Its the smallest sink I ever saw. Furnishing are nice, bed is good. When you put your clothes in the armoire it is so tiny, you cannot close the door property. There is a very nice flat panel LG TV in the room. Overall the room is in good shape, and very clean. Bed Linens are upgraded, and the carpet in the room is nice. Very Modern, and updated room. The doors are very thin, and you can hear everything going on outside in the hallways. If you are traveling alone, then the space issues are not too bad. A couple will be cramped. Three Forget it! The hotel rooms are very close to each other, so you can hear the opening and closing each time someone comes in or out. There is no closet in the room. Bottom line is that if you can stay here for $200 or under I would take it. Anything over $200 I would look elsewhere. I would rate this a 3.5 star property, only because of the small area in the rooms. The property is well located, and close to train stops.

very modern, new hotel with great location

by TripAdvisor Member charlie_dog

Stayed here for 5 nights. Had a room 1907 which was a corner room with 2 double beds. There was 2 adults and 1 child in the room. THe beds were very comfortable with luxurious bed linen and a choice of soft or hard pillows. It was a regular size for NYC, the two beds in the room, a desk, a small closet with iron and board. You had to clean up after you as it was easy for the room to seem like it was a tip due to the size.

There was a flat screen tv, air conditioning which was lovely as the weather outside was in the 90's. Our room looked south and you could see other buildings. However, some of the rooms did overlook the Empire State building. The hotel is 26th st and 6th ave end. It was 5 mins walk to Penn Station and the nearest subway was 7th ave and 28th st. or broadway and 28th st. There were plenty of deli's nearby so dont worry about the lack of mini bar in the room. There were also ice machines and vending machines on 3 separate floors These had soda, water(2usd) and crisps and sweets. There was also an Olive Garden and McDonalds and Starbucks on 6th Ave. All within 5 mins walk. There was also a nice bar called Rogue where you could sit outside on 6th Ave. This had a nice seating area outside. There was also a bar next door to the hotel that looked nice.

The bathroom had a small bath with adequate shower and small sink with hairdryer and basic toiletries. The towels were fluffy and replaced when required.

The maids need to look at the rear of the bed though as we found a pair of mans underpants (yes a bit disgusting) and a mens deodrant. I wouldnt let this put you off though as obviously the staff are very new in the hotel. The staff were friendly and they stored our bags for us and sourced us a taxi with enthusiasm.

The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and tried very hard to keep you happy.The reception was small but hey alls its for is passing through. There was a bar next to reception with comfy sofas and bar stools. They were friendly and offered us lunch or evening menu on the night we ate there. The evening menu was a bit expensive but normal for a hotel in NYC. It was 8usd for a large glass of wine. The food was good and kids ate free and got a free soda. Next to this area was the restaurant which was part of the bar area. I gather this is where breakfast was served.

I used my hubbys priority points for the trip and it was only 15000 a night this is very good for NYC as normally you would need 25000-40000 per night.

There were no safes in the room. However, there were free safety deposit boxes at reception. If you lose the key they charge you 350usd.

On the basement level there was a small gym area and a business centre. There were 2 computers with free internet. This closed at midnight. There was also free wifi in the hotel room if you had your laptop.

Would I stay here again. It would have to be a yes. I would only pay 250 a night max though as i think there is other NYC hotels that have slightly larger rooms,.

Great new hotel, nice little location - getting over any teething problems

by TripAdvisor Member uktraveller1982

I stayed here for 7 nights on a mixture of business and travel.
Overall, I would say it was a good experience.

Plus points: I really liked not being up in the hustle and bustle with all the tourist hoards, this is nearer Chelsea and the Garment district. I also found the free business centre a plus and the staff really helpful at all times. Going back to the location, you're close to the Fashion Museum/College so handy for that, there's a CVS down the street, Whole Foods a few blocks and various other stores around. Easily walkable to the Square Garden and 34th St shops like Macys.

Negatives: I might have been something to do with the hotel being relatively newly opened but on occasion there were some issues with the lifts being operational (altho only 1 out of action at a time) so sometimes it was painfully slow waiting for the lift. I was on the 22nd floor, so after a long day didn't really fancy the walk!

Rooms: I had just the one bed, it was perfectly comfortable, choice of pillows. Flatscreen, two phones, tiny wardrobe and some drawers. Bathroom fairly compact, shower only though which suited me. There are only 10 room rooms on each floor I think and altthough you could hear noise from doors closing I couldn't really hear the people around me.
I had a high floor room at the back of the building. Now, I'm not sure where it's an upgraded room type but I had a great view across to the Empire State Building, so it might be worth asking as decent veiws can be hard to come by in NYC hotels.
I did have room service, which was adequate and came in good time - but didn't try the restaurant.

Overall, I would stay here again as it was in a good location and a budget hotel.

Holiday Inn is OK for some but maybe not all

by TripAdvisor Member 2Travelers2go

We booked two nights (Fri & Sat) for a weekend in NYC. We used a "discount" hotel site and to be honest, even the so-called discounted price seemed a bit steep for a property of this type in this location. The big pluses: hotel is brand new as of June 08 so everything is still fresh and clean. The staff we interacted with were efficient and friendly. Did not eat in the hotel restaurant; can't comment. The building itself is small - only ten rooms per floor! The room we had with one king bed was well appointed with large flat screen TV (hundreds of channels) and a coffee maker. But it was small, with a VERY tiny closet and just a few drawers for clothes. Naturally, since we paid a "discount" we were stuck in a room right by a very loud air intake vent in the hallway - sounded like an airplane engine even with the door closed. We are sound sleepers so it wasn't an issue for us but it might be for many. The bathroom was very small but it was new and clean. Lots of towels. Complimentary items were limited to a bar of soap, small shampoo and small lotion (no shower cap or hair conditioner). The room was just fine for two people for a weekend but it could be an issue for longer periods of time. We were also on one of the first few floors so we used the stairs going down - it was a real time saver. The elevators were very busy and we did hear others complaining about how long it took for them to get to and from their rooms. I would not recommend this hotel for tourists unfamiliar with NYC. The location is not that great unless you are confident using the subway and/or can walk comfortably for several blocks to get to restaurants. The Chelsea area is really nice and is off the beaten track but it doesn't have a lot of touristy things to do. The front desk staff are good at checking people in and out but limited with their advice for what to do in the area and how to get around. Had to interject at one point because they were advising an elderly, somewhat frail-looking foreign couple to take the subway somewhere instead of a cab. The subway was on a goofed up schedule due to track maintenance (very common) and it would have entailed transferring lines. Thankfully they decided to take a cab and I'm sure they arrived at their destination fine. Overall, this is a good location if you are an intrepid traveler, familiar with NYC or staying for a brief visit. Otherwise, you may want to consider another location closer to more familiar sights.

Close to Penn Station - Great stay, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member lostboydp

Was going to NYC to catch some local bands over 2 nights, so wanted to stay one night vs 3 hr trip home and back...or train to NJ and back. Found the Holiday Inn at 6th Ave had a low rate for reward nights, and positive reviews, so booked it.

On arriving Thursday, it was a quick walk from Penn Station to the Holiday Inn, about 6 blocks. The front desk had 3 people working and I was helped right away. Check-in was maybe 2 minutes!

The room is on the smaller side, but not too crowded to me. All new furniture, fixtures, flat screen tv. The room was very clean, as was all of the hotel that I saw.

I like the location, kind of midway between where I visit in midtown and lower east/west side. If you have a little time and energy, an easy walk to Times Square or midtown. Easy cab ride, or long walk, to lower east side.

They do have a business center in the basement, with 2 computers, that you can use for free. Easy to access and check email.

Staff was friendly and accomadating. I was also able to leave my bag there thru the day and pick it up before I left Fri night. All at no charge.

I'll definately check here again for future trips to NYC!

Echo 2travelers

by TripAdvisor Member London_Scottish

Nice hotel, updated rooms thought small, ours had a decent view of the Empire State. Only two lifts (elevators!) so very busy, could take 10 minutes toget down. Nice staff, quick and efficient check in and out. Quiter area, need to walk to busier areas, but like all NYC safe.

You'll need PATIENCE and EAR PLUGS!

by TripAdvisor Member Travel_HoundDubai

Ok, so its one of the newer hotels for IHG in New York, still struggling to find its footing. However, the people that put this hotel together were obviously in a rush to make a buck. There were 2 big issues during our stay, the first being the NOISE and the second being the LIFTS.

The noise issue is not only the normal external sounds you associate with New York, such as the rubbish truck that comes calling at 12am, the bottle collectors that come at about 3am and then the tour buses that sit outside the hotel idling from 6am - we would have thought double glazing was a minimum standard here. But the biggest issue is the inside noise of other guests and of the doors closing in neighbouring rooms. There are 10 rooms on a floor, and every time someone opens or closes their room door you will hear it, everytime someone is waiting for a lift (all the time, more on that later) and talking - you will hear it, and everytime the maids start yelling in the corridors you will hear it. So bring ear plugs, you'll need them. It wasn't like we were in the hotel room a lot, but when you are - you will wish you weren't.

The other big issue is the lifts. The hotel has 25 floors with roughly 10 tiny rooms on each floor, so you can imagine how long you will wait for a lift to get up and down! A high floor will be good for less noise, but you will sacrafice time waiting for a lift. There also appears to be no staff lift, so often staff will clog the lift's use using it to go up a few floors, the maids getting to their floors in the morning, calling a lift then deciding to take the stairs and so on. Plus if a Porter needs to use it with a trolley, it will take up half of the lift leaving room for only another 3 or 4 people. It really is frustrating. As a result many people resort to having to use the stairs, but you can't get to the lobby level by stairs you have to go to the basement or to the outside fire exit., oh and watch out for all the floor's rubbish that the maids have put in the stairwells as well waiting for collection.

The hotel also really struggles to handle groups, as the group all arrives at once, as the lobby is so small there is no where for them to wait, then they all cram into lifts, the lobby is full of luggage, and so on - just not group friendly.

Staff didn't really interact as well, generally not friendly or helpful, no apologies for a few things they stuffed up - just no attitude of caring.

Overall very disappointing. Won't return. Tiny, tiny rooms - be very aware.

Comments