116 West 31st Street, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden

Traveler Beware.........................

by TripAdvisor Member CaroleLombard

I had the opportunity to stay in the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden. Albeit the rooms were clean and neat and the free breakfast was well received, my advise to anyone traveling is to make very sure you take all of your personal belongings when you leave. I left a personal item immediately reported it 7 hours after I checked out. Voice mail messages when unanswered for two days, then a promise by housekeeping to check into it. Again two days went by with not the courtesy of a response. Finally after my 6th call, I was told the housekeeper did not find the article. Am I surprised? I think not. Now I have a call into the hotel manager to reimburse me for the cost of this item. Had my inquiry been acted on immediately, I would probably not be having this conversation. It will be interesting to see what the hotel management has to say. I will keep you posted. It is not so much the item that concerns me, it's the total lack of professionalism of this staff and responding in a timely manner.

My other issue is that one of the exit staircases used for emergencies was blocked with rolls of construction material. Mentioned to management that was a liability....never did find out if they cleared it out, nor did I check.

Would I stay here again? I think not...............

Fabulous!

Great hotel...reasonably priced. Room was a little small but was very comfortable and clean. It had everything you meeded including hair dryer and coffee pot. Beds were very comfy. It was within walking distance to many major attractions.

Staff was very helpful about giving directions to a first time New York tourist. They had lemonade and fresh warm cookies in the lobby and the complimentary hot breakfast was excellent. I would definately recommend this hotel.

Excellent!!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Memorial weekend, May 26-May 30.
My husband, myself, daughter11, and son 8 had a room with 2 double beds on the 10th floor. The room and hotel were spotless. The staff was very, very helpful and friendly, especially Codi, the bellman. The AC worked great in the room, the bathroom was a little small but was fine, a storage cabinet in the room was great for extra room to store small suitcases and bags. There was a flat scren TV that had lots of good channels. The free breakfast was great with lots of choices. Muffins, bagels , toast and english muffins to toast yourself , many hot items, 3 different kinds of juice every morning, cereals, fresh fruit and 3-4 choices of coffees. They also have warm cookies, coffe, tea, lemonade, etc...in the lobby in a machine avaliable 24hours, which was excellent.
The hotel was very close to Penn station, maybe a 5 minute walk, and Times Square and many other attractions and great restaurants 10-15 minute walk away.
Great hotel, would for sure stay here again!!

Great Hotel and Very friendly staff!

by TripAdvisor Member blakleyl

The hotel and staff exceeded our expectations. There was a little mix-up with our room that I reserved through 1800hiltons. We reserved a room that was nonsmoking, with two double beds because we had my daughter and her asthmatic friend staying with us. They weren't able to give us a nonsmoking room and we kind of got a run around about it. We were told that if you need to guarantee anything, you need to call the hotel directly and make sure they schedule it for you in their computers. The manager addressed the issue for us after our stay and we are very satisfied. I would highly recommend this hotel. It was a new property, very clean, very courteous staff, very nice complimentary breakfast. The staff will even store your luggage for you after you check out, which was very helpful for us since it's not very convenient to get your luggage back to your vehicle, in the parking garage, and we still had some sightseeing to do until later that afternoon. They will hold luggage for you until 11pm. Keep in mind that you will have to pay around 25.00 for 25 hours of parking and you have to get your ticket validated by hotel to get this rate. The parking garage is not right next to the hotel. There is a little bit of a walk to get to it and there is no in and out at the parking garage. This wasn't a problem for us because we planned on walking and using the subway anyway. The hotel was in a good location for all of the sights.

A good solid value.

by TripAdvisor Member GaryKarr

New York City hotels in this price range are, at best, a little uneven. You either get a super tiny room or a really dirty one. But if you're looking for "reasonable" (yes, it's all relative with NYC prices), it'd be hard to go wrong with this hotel.

Folks coming in on the train will like how it is nearby -- just a couple of blocks from Penn Station. There are subway stations easily walkable to take you around the city. It's not in the most fashionable location, but I felt safe walking around on a summer night. I would much rather spend the little extra money it costs to say in Manhattan than to schlep into the city from a cheaper hotel in New Jersey.

We had a two-queen bed room that was spacious enough for a Dad and his teen-age daughter. Of course, the Hampton Inn breakfast, included as part of the rate, is good way to start the day. I will say their coffee tastes pretty lousy. I'm not a coffee snob, but they could do better.

The staff was very very helpful and polite. The bellmen were absolutely fantastic, helping my daughter and I figure out the subway map and suggesting ways to get to our destinations.

If you are a picky traveler who wants to be in the perfect neighborhood with luxury appointments, don't come here. If you need a room that is priced reasonably compared to the competition but might be better and tad more expensive than the cheapest of cheap, you won't go wrong here.

Fantastic stay all around

by TripAdvisor Member diverjs

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn. The staff - at all times - were helpful, especially the concierge who offered a dozen great suggestions for my teenage son. The room was small, but for NYC it was normal and who's there to stay in a room anyway! The breakfast area was well stocked, very clean, and quite good. The location was great for the Javits - about 10 minutes walk. Times Square and many excellent sites were also within 10-12 minutes easy walk. Parking was simple and cheap (for NYC) at the garage around the corner. I will be back!

Clean rooms, good breakfast and a great staff

by TripAdvisor Member koalabear33

My friend and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for a couple of nights for a little getaway to New York. This hotel is great. Yes the rooms are not huge, but are big enough and are quite comfy. The bathroom is roomy as well. The rooms and the main areas are very CLEAN. Every staff member, (front desk, bellman,housekeepers), is helpful and sincerely friendly.and seems honestly happy to make sur eyou are comfortable and happy....One morning, even the Assistant manager (Tim?)of the hotel was helping on the buffet area to make sure all was well!

The location is good. You can walk to Penn Station and pick up any train..............

All in all, was more than I expected. Perfect for a travel/sightseeing getaway. We had a great time.
I would definitely stay here again

First Hamption Experience - nice place

by TripAdvisor Member girlandtheghost

Normally stay at full-service hotels. Had tix for a show and found a good price on the hilton.com site, we're HH members and the reviews of others on this site gave us encouragement to try their Hamption Inn hotel for a change.

It was clean, well taken care of, friendly staff and had a better then expected breakfast buffet.

Location was perfect - we felt safe walking in the area of the hotel.

Can't beat it for the price.

Will be back.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member BermudaNative

Good locaiton - easy to find - convenient parking - safe streets.

Staff was very friendly (Front Desk at check-in, Bellman and even the Manager, who helped us get a cab). Hotel lobby and public areas clean. Didn't get a chance to have breakfast.

Room was very small - but exceptionally clean - sleek modern look - good beds. Cool flat tv on the wall (saved space). Alothought the hotel is small and very vertical - you didn't feel claustrophobic and did not hear people in the rooms around you.

EASY walk to Madison Square Garden (1 block), Subway (2 blocks) and Times Square (10 blocks or so??).

Cool Irish restaurant a block away. Would recommend it for lunch (excellent) when it's more quiet....dinner/drinks if you like a noiser atmosphere in the evenings.

Had a great stay! Will absolutely come back again.

excellent hotel, reasonable price, great location, very clean!

by TripAdvisor Member mmctrip

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days between Christmas and New Years. Upon arrival the staff member at the front desk was very helpful and professional. She changed my room to a higher floor so it would be a quiet stay. The hotel is very clean and quite new. The rooms are larger (for New York) and they have new plasma TVs. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The breakfast was hot (eggs and sausages etc) and cold with plenty of variety. I was not hungry until later in the day. The bathroom was very clean. The staff were very professional and courteous at all times. The location is great. A couple of blocks from Macey's, the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden. You can easily walk to Times Square as well. It is near major subway stops if you prefer public transit. The rooms are well insulated and were quiet. I was not disturbed by other guests (even after New Years!). I have stayed at other hotels in the midtown area and for the price this was by far the best. It made my holiday a complete success.

kermit!kermit!

parking garageparking garage

outsideoutside

statues at Battery Parkstatues at Battery Park

Outlet malls in New York

by ranmeg

Hi, going to New York next month. Where are the outlet malls worth going & how to get there via coach bus? I do not drive. THanks.

by Donna_in_India

Hi - Woodbury Commons is the one everyone goes to. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

Shortline: https://www.coachusa.com/shortline/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&productId=1985

Gray Line: http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=WC

Hampton Luxury Liner: http://www.hamptonluxuryliner.com/woodbury_commons.html

Happy Shopping!

by Waoife

Jersey Gardens close to Newark Airport is another one - it's about an hour's bus ride from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (same place as buses leaving for Woodbury Common) or you can get a shuttle from Newark Airport (there's more information on www.jerseygardens.com).

Personally I preferred Woodbury Common as it's bigger and had a better choice but it's not a covered mall so it can be freezing and very wet in Winter. Jersey Gardens is covered in so it's probably more suitable for a Winter outlest trip.

by ter1413

I also would suggest Woodbury. The bus runs from the Port Authority and it takes just under 1hr to get there. The cost is appr $40/roundtrip which includes a discount booklet. As stated, it is uncovered but if you are coming next month, it won't be an issue. Let me tell you though, I am a NYer and go up there in the winter and that place is still packed!
Woodbury opens at 10 on the wkend and 9 during holiday weekends. If it is a wkend and the weather is nice, they will often have 2-3 buses leaving in the early morning as it gets very crowded. They also have a food court so you can also get something to eat.
My advice for Woodbury, get up there early so that you won't be stuck with the large crowds coming back.

by Waoife

Sorry. Managed to miss the "next month" bit - my mistake.

I agree on getting to Woodbury Common early if travelling by bus. We had to stand for an hour in a huge queue at the bus stop and wait about four buses before we were able to get one back to NY in the evening (think it was around 6.00 when we decided to leave).

by ranmeg

Appreciate all your responses. Thanks so much. Is it better going in June then?

by ter1413

It is good year round! There are people up there EVERY weekend throughout the year!

Comments