Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

54 Watts Street, (opening April 15, 2008), New York City, New York, 10013, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

Economical gem in expensive city!

by TripAdvisor Member SANPORTABLO

We have just returned from NYC. We booked our trip, and hotel, back in June '08 when the $/£ exchange rate was pretty good. However as we all know the economy has since taken a tumble. Therefore we looked for a cheaper hotel and at the beginning of December came across the Hampton Inn Soho which had just opened and had only a couple of reviews - albeit very good reviews. We decided to take the plunge and were not let down.

Before I go on I the Hampton Inn Soho is not the Plaza or Mandarin Oriental, is never going to be nor is it trying to be. It is however it is a brilliantly good value hotel in a city that is very expensive. Hotels in NYC very rarely offer breakfast within the room rate. The Hampton Inn has a generous offering which includes:

- A choice of coffee (Robust or Regular), tea and hot chocolate 24 hours a day to take drink at the hotel or take away with you.
- Very good, help yourself as much as you like breakfast, including a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurts, bagels, toast, cheese scones, eggs, sausage, waffles, honey, Philadelphia, peanut butter.
- Fruit juice

The check in was super fast and easy. Within less than 5 mins you’re in your room.

I've never been to another hotel in New York but having read the reviews of lots, the size a room appears to be on the small side. We had a king room which was more than ample size. There was a slight issue of space between the end of the bed and the desk but not a problem at all. The rooms are actually very nice. The bathroom is great with double size shower (no bath though). Room has decent size plasma to watch the early morning show before you hit the city. Also a radio alarm clock. But best of all there is free internet access through out the hotel.
The New York Times and USA today newspapers are also free to take away.

The front of house staff are very friendly, approachable and helpful. Make sure you get a map from them to work your way around the city. They always have a smile on their face.

The location is great. We did not want to be in the midtown tourist trap and this hit the spot for us. If you turn right out of the hotel and walk 30 foot you are on Fifth Avenue, which takes around 30 minutes to Madison Square Gardens and 50 minutes to Times Square. There is also a Subway stop called Spring Street 1 minute just 2 minutes from the hotel on Fifth Avenue which can take you up or downtown. You are also on the edge of the great areas of Greenwich, Soho and West Village - my favourite places in NYC.

In Summary I would very highly recommend this hotel, it offers great value for money and is a great locations in a great city. I am happy to give more detailed advice to anyone thinking of staying here. Drop me an email!

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member richmond

Just returned from a wonderful stay of 3 nights. Rooms were sparkling clean, new, comfortable for NYC, with fine towels, bed linens, in-room safe, closet and drawer space and a fine (cold) breakfast. The staff was attentive, helpful, and gracious. The desk clerk even ran out to hail us a cab. The location is great-- close to subways and Chinatown, etc. Exercise room was nice.

maid's day off?

by TripAdvisor Member liwaif

Four friends shared a room at this hotel for 4 days. The staff at the front desk is great & the location is close to the subway which is a good thing. The only problem seemed to be with the housekeeping. I don't know if the maid was new or what but the carpet was not vacuumed, the bathroom was not cleaned (hair & toothpaste still in the sink & bathtub), & one day they gave us 2 towels for all 4 of us. When we called the front desk asking for more towels they were brought up within 10 minutes so as I said the front desk is great, just a little disappointed in the housekeeping.

Great Hotel in Soho!

by TripAdvisor Member ilovetheg8rs

Arrived at the hotel at 11:30 am after a short flight from Atlanta and was pleasantly suprised! The front desk staff was extremely friendly! Thank you Tianna!

When we made the reservation with the hotel my only request was to have a room as far from an elevator as possible as I am a very light sleeper! I was shocked when we stepped off the elevator to see our assigned room 1204 was right across from it! I immediately went back downstairs and Tianna assigned us to room 1507 which was incredible! Fantastic view of the Empire State Building!!

The hotel is quite small with only about 9 rooms per floor! So make sure you request a room on the back side and not the front that faces the road that leads to the Holland Tunnel!

The rooms are very small but have 2 nice size wardrobes for all of your belongings! We unpacked everything and placed our suitcases on top of them! The bathroom has zero counter space for toiletries, so we used the drawers in the desk to store our makeup and hair products!

The beds were very cozy with nice linens!

Breakfast was typical for a chain hotel! Cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit and eggs with sausage!

The hotel is 2 blocks from the subway which made it very easy to get around!!

We would definitely stay here again!

Not your typical Hampton Inn - In a good way! 8.5 out of 10

by TripAdvisor Member Loonbeam

Room Type: Standard
Rate Paid: $149 per night
Reason For Stay: Business
Overall Average Score: 8.5/10

Location - 8/10
Very convenient to the subway, a short walk from shopping and dining options, get directions first. Downside: the hotel is RIGHT on one of the main roads to the tunnel, making traffic a mess at peak periods. Cabs cannot get in, it's a lot easier if they let you off around the corner (note, since its a new hotel, some cab drivers are not familiar with it, tell them its at Watts and Varick downtown). Also, the extra traffic means a decent bit of additional road noise during peak periods.

Room Design - 9/10

The room is small by US standard, but fine by NY standards. What space is available is well used, with plenty of storage options. The bathroom is ok sized. I would not recommend this room for more than 2 people.

Room Amenities - 9/10

Standard Hampton in toiletries. Nice touches included a screen saver feature on the LCD TV with music and the Hampton alarm clock. Drapes closed tightly, always a plus in NY.

Design and Layout - 8/10

Unlike 'traditional' Hampton Inns, the hotel has tried for a more modern look and mostly succeeded. The entry area is fairly inviting but very small, if a lot of people are checking it at once that could be very problematic.

Amenities - Non Club - 8/10

There is no executive club at this hotel. There is a small but decently appointed fitness room at the basement level and the breakfast area serves as a large seating area during the day with 24 hour coffee available.

There is no gift shop or other location to purchase sundries. The nearest drug store is about a 10 min walk.

One lack was wireless internet in the room. However, the provided cord is long enough to reach almost all around the small room.

Club Room - Not applicable

Hotel Staff - 10/10

I was very pleased with the hotel staff. All were friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help. Housekeeping was great each day, room clean and freshened.

Dining - 10/10 (Breakfast Only)

There is no dining in the hotel other than the included free breakfast. A small bar is still waiting for license to open.

Breakfast itself was very well done. Each day included a different hot selection as well as breads, fruits, cereals, etc. The seating area was well lit and kept clean and the food was always hot and well stocked.

Comments and Notes:

The hotel is very new (2 months?) and is offering very low rates to attract travelers. With easy access to the Tribeca/SoHo area and good downtown location, its a value not to be missed right now.

Nice, great value, oustanding service...

by TripAdvisor Member Ronp09

We stayed there for an entire week for nye and the location is outstanding, near to canal st. little italy, great restaurants around safe neighborhood, close to sub stations at 10 minutes from times square... front desk is the best part they make our stay a nice experience...

Initial hiccup but overall a very pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member MissyVolt

My friends and I booked a week in New York to welcome in 2009.

Being New York a lot of the hotels were very expensive and not to mention booked out from the 26th December through to the 31st December. I happened to come across this hotel via Expedia and upon reading other people's reviews and seeing the price of the hotel was happy to book it.

We booked the hotel via the UK Expedia website selecting the 2 double bed option. We paid for our stay in full. Upon arrival, we came to discover that we were given 1 King Size room to house 4 people!!!! Unfortunately they had no more 2 double bed rooms available until the new year. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and explained to us that Expedia does not give them any additional information and that we would need to contact Expedia ourselves to try to sort it out. She offered us a discounted rate on an extra room if we wanted it. Being about 3am in London, we were unable to contact UK Expedia, so we paid for the extra room and decided to try to call Expedia again in the morning. In the end Expedia refunded us all our money and we dealt with the hotel directly. The people at the hotel were so helpful and understanding of our situation which made our stay that little bit more pleasant.

SOME ADVICE; Do try to book hotels directly OR at least double check with the hotel before arriving to make sure that you do get what you've requested upon booking.

The room size is as expected for a New York hotel but with 2 sets of luggage plus all the shopping we did, the room was fine. All rooms are clean and pretty much have everything required including an in-room safe and LCD TVs. Bathroom is pretty roomy but I do think there should be a little more shelf room to house toiletries but that's just me. Although there is no WIFI in the room (you just have to plug in your laptop into the internet cable), internet is free. The beds are so comfortable that I was quite sad to have to leave it and come back to my own bed :)
The only thing i think that's lacking in the room are tea making facilities - I guess Americans are more coffee people..

They offer free basic breakfast of a morning which is great. No better way to start the morning with some bread, fruit, tea/coffee/juice.

There is also a computer and printer available for use by the patrons which is also free. Handy for when you've forgotten to print something important or for printing boarding passes etc.

The hotel street is right across from the Holland Tunnel and there is pretty bad traffic during peak hours. Your best bet is to get dropped off either on 6th Avenue or on Varick Street and walk about a minute to the hotel than sit in the traffic. There are quite a few subway lines available nearby too.

Overall our stay was great. Room was great, location was great, service was great.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Good choice

by TripAdvisor Member Saturday

Go now while rates are low for NYC & property is still fresh.  Everything looks nice at 2 months old but my instinct is that when it is 18 months old it won't be nearly as appealing a choice.  Rooms are small, closets are small, bathroom counter is small, but overall space is fairly adequate if you unpack & store suitcases on top of closet. If you are on the north side of a higher floor you'll love the view, if not then at least you got a bargain. In this neighborhood I'd rather stay in splendid luxury at The Mercer, but their lowest rate starts at $600 per night which is out of my league. I'll never stay in midtown again.

Cheap & Cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member Galw0y_Girl

We stayed in the Hampton Inn for 8 nights over Christmas/NewYrs 08/09. For that time of year, we got an extremely good deal; we paid just over $2,000. The complimentary breakfast saved us a fortune.

The hotel itslef is nice and clean. We had a city view king room and could see the Empire State building from our room. The room was a bit small but we managed fine, the bathroom was spacious but like other side, extra shelving wouldn’t go amiss.

The location of the hotel: It is 2 mins for the edge of Chinatown and 2 mins for the edge of Little Italy. The metro stop we used was at the edge of Chonatown so we got hassled each time to buy some handbags or watches but they weren’t too forceful. Spring Street is very near the hotel and has some very good restaurants, there wasn’t any decent pub near by so we headed uptown for that.

All in all the hotel is a little further out that I wanted but the price was good and suited us

Small rooms - invisible to taxi drivers

by TripAdvisor Member Argassi1

Check-in was straight forward with no fuss. The night porter who checked us in was a gentleman.
The room however was the tiniest we've ever stayed in and the only way we survived this was with only one person moving at a time. The bathroom was tiny with no shelf space whatsoever. There are two wardrobes and ample drawer space, also free safe.
Central heating is an old fashioned rickety affair that makes a racket when on. The room did not appear to have been vaccumed in the 5 nights we were there.
The bar is not open.
I was looking forward to the complimentary breakfast but the sausages turned out be sliced sauerkraut in brie. The following day there were no slices of sausage, instead there were the strangest looking eggs that I've ever seen - round and completely flat - hard to describe really, they looked like a fried egg which had been poached.
However there was plenty coffee, toast, fruit, yoghurt, cereal and bagels.The conservatory is quite nice, but a wee bit chilly in winter. Probably, lovely in summer.The decor is like a students apartment in the 70's, in that they have spray painted the hotel room doors in a silver metallic paint and there is a cheap looking carpet in the breakfast room. I reckon that in six months, this will look like a tatty old hotel that was done up on the cheap and whose best feature is the neon entrance.

The biggest problem for us was not actually the hotel, it was the fact that the taxi drivers couldn't find it. Three times, we got out of the taxi in utter frustration and walked. We showed them it on the map and let them read directions from my Blackberry. We told them between 6th Avenue and Varek St, on the approaches to the Holland tunnel etc but no, they understood exactly where Worth Street is but couldn't work out where Watts Street was. One driver stopped and phoned the hotel which solved the problem. Do these guys not have sat-nav? If I was this hotel, I'd seriously consider giving all guests business cards with a map and directions to give to all taxi drivers.

Would I stay here again - no, sorry folks at best I'd give it 5/10.

Comments